• Published 8th Oct 2019
  • 2,747 Views, 87 Comments

True Harmony - Saturni_Rose



Third installment to my AU where Luna is the protagonist; now, new shadows lurk in her quiet life.

  • ...
4
 87
 2,747

Part 21: Come back to us.

Luna regretted lying. And just as much, she regretted being any good at it. As she left the broken far wall of Everfree castle behind, the light of dawn made the fluffy clouds above look like cotton candy in the purplish twilight. One by one, the stars winked down at her and were gone to rest. It was a new day.

When she stole a look back at the decrepit ruin that was once her home, winds gently tugging at her hair, she couldn’t help smiling more fondly. For all the bad memories it held, there was at least one good one that stood out to her. The day her new friends helped her put down Nightmare Moon had been the happiest she’d had in far too long. On that day, it seemed all her strife was finally behind her.

More the fool, her. Seemingly, she’d never truly escape her past. It would be with her always; a constant part of herself, for better and worse. She had hoped for better, of course, but was unsurprised when worse found her in time. Turning her back on the castle, she moved forward.

Destiny waits for no mare. she thought ruefully.

What remained of a once well kept garden was a thicket of overgrown hedges and willow trees casting their forlorn vines over every nearby plant or old section of low wall. In many places, the boulders making up that short wall had fallen out of place, their thick bindings of mortar long since drying out and losing grip. Moss claimed the loose cornerstones. Saddest of all, not a single flower seemed to have survived the centuries without proper care; their delicate petals were all gone.

At its heart, Luna found a wide stone plinth. Vines and moss and grime had claimed the emptied space across it, and the plaque was utterly illegible. She made no effort to uncover it as she pondered the space where statues of her parents once stood. There had been little love in her heart for them. Especially her king and father. Once upon a time, she’d convinced herself it was her Nightmare’s idea to topple the old marble depictions. What a comfortable lie.

Always, however, throughout that unhappy youth, there had been Celestia. Her sister had been the only spark of joy. And she’d continued being that warm shoulder for her to lean on even as the two of them made the difficult decisions that came with leadership. Even through overseeing campaigns of war, Celestia was still always there for her.

Right until Luna had found that wasn’t satisfactory. But that was enough reminiscing. She ambled over to the plinth and sat her weary self down. Gazing again at the gorgeous dawn, she drew a long breath and slowly let it go. This was oddly peaceful. Would that it could stay this way.

A certain someone appeared from behind and covered her eyes before playfully saying: “Guess who.”

And just like that, the quiet was over. Luna flatly responded: “Pinkie.”

Pinkie let go of her eyes and fell over into her lap with a dissatisfied groan. “C’mon, you didn’t even try to play along.”

“I…” Luna recoiled somewhat as she looked down at her laid across her thighs like a cat. “I wasn’t aware we were still playing. The impression I’m under is that the game is up. And that you’d won.”

“Maybe so,” chuckled Pinkie, “but it was a fun game, wasn’t it?”

“It had its moments.” said Luna, dry in tone as the unkempt plants and stone surrounding them. More sternly, she then told her: “But you went much too far in the last couple bouts.”

“Psh. I had to, to get on your level; hoo boy, some of the havoc you caused. How could I ever compete with that?” The smile beneath the smile was daunting.

“But was that truly necessary? You really hurt poor Twilight and Galahad.” She looked down at her, pleading, hoping against hope she might still be reached.

Pinkie reached up and gave Luna’s snout a playful little poke. “I never did no permanent damage to nobody. Where’s the fun if someone can’t come back to play again? And that’s more than we could say for you, my dear, hmm?”

Luna’s mouth went tight and she held her tongue. It was a sharp remark that cut bone deep.

Pinkie relished in that deepening grimace. She playfully shrugged. “But here we are. You, a wizened alicorn, outsmarted but a goofy little ‘spaz’ like me. Don’t you feel silly?”

“I’ve certainly gained a newfound respect for you.” Luna simply couldn’t help herself. She reached down and brushed some of those curling magenta locks back behind Pinkie’s ear. However she’d wanted to arrive at this point with her, this certainly wasn’t it. It was almost nice—painfully close to it, even. That sweetness was still there, beneath that malicious glee. Memories of her own joy in the pain she caused clung to her aching heart. Hesitation gripped her next; slowly, her hoof pressed against the chin of her smiling mask, unable to bear this layer between them.

Pinkie Pie let Luna push the mask up. Her grin spoke of confidence that she knew quite well Luna wouldn’t try anything funny. Or at least, she hoped she’d be funny in some other way. So where was the harm in a pleasant little gesture? “Happy to see me again?”

“I would be, if it were just you and I. Our mutual guest makes this rather awkward.” Luna’s eyes were full of sadness and longing.

Pinkie reached up and tickled Luna’s chin. “Don’t be that way, babe. The new wings are a ton of fun. I might just keep them.”

“Maybe you won’t.” Luna’s eyes fell closed. “Pinkie. Would you relay to Nightmare that it can have me? I’ll play the role of Nightmare Moon again willingly, so long as you’re set free of this burden. Additionally, I want our friend group left untouched by us.”

Pinkie gaped up at her before propping her hooves in under her head in a more relaxed manner. “She’s a little bored of regular old Moon now. I’ve been way too fun, especially with an Element’s power. You’re going to have to sweeten the deal.”

“‘Sweeten’ is almost a funny way of wording that, considering you worked at a bakery.” Luna smiled weakly.

Pinkie smirked back at her. “So it is. But make your offer.”

Bittersweet look on her face, Luna nodded slowly. She knew this would happen. From her jean jacket’s pocket, she produced the Element of Magic and attached it to her throat. The metal was cold where it gripped. “Very well.”

“Whoa.” mused Pinkie. She was almost surprised. “You’re serious.”

“I said I’d do anything to protect those I care about.” Luna cupped Pinkie’s cheek. “I meant that with all my heart.”

Pinkie let out an amused snort. “What about your sister? Once you’re a magic juiced Moon, she won’t be safe from you.”

“I have every confidence Celestia can handle herself.” responded Luna without missing a beat, any remaining good humor gone from her face in a blink. She knew what that meant. And she found she didn’t care at the moment.

“Okay.” said Pinkie, considering her carefully. “I believe you really mean all that, you big softie. So, deal… is what I would say if you didn’t cheat.”

Luna arched her brows at her. She pondered what that could possibly mean, for half a moment’s breadth before it sourly dawned on her. Looking up she wondered if it was true. Which, sadly, it was. Twilight and Sunset were leading the other Elements—her other friends into the old garden. Across their faces she read a mix of disappointment and, strangely, conviction. She worried she might have to test hers against theirs.

“You really think you could lie in fronta me, sugarcube?” asked Applejack with an amused look of pride. “I play cards with my big brother, and he’s got the best poker face around.”

“She’s not wrong.” said Rainbow Dash somewhat chagrined at the memory of being trounced by the stallion for several rounds. She shook herself out of that, as this wasn’t the time or place. “Anyway, c’mon, dude. We just got done talking about this.”

Luna looked down into her lap as Pinkie rolled over and leapt onto the plinth behind her. With wings unfolding, several weapons clattered onto the stone around her hooves, one of which she actually bothered catching. It clinked against her lowering mask as she chomped down upon it with her teeth, its glint in the rising sun—along with the rest of her armaments—declaring a derisive challenge.

Looking back at them, Luna’s eyes lacked any energy; she was by far not in the mood for this. “I’ve tried overpowering her, outnumbering her, and outsmarting her. And I can’t win. So, please…”

“So you’re just gonna give up?” spat Rainbow.

“It’s no simple matter of resigning. But I’d do anything to keep you girls safe.” Luna smiled fondly, hooves going over her heart. “All of you made me feel like I could truly escape my past. And I’m so thankful for that. If you’d just let me do this for y—”

“But you don’t have to do it alone.” Rainbow threw her hoof out at her side. “Any of this. We’ve got your backs, remember? It’s what friends are for.” She gave a curt nod and a snort as she added: “Besides, I still owe ya one for catching me outta the sky.”

“No hard feelings, by the way.” taunted Pinkie from over Luna’s shoulder. She winked at Dash and said: “I knew she’d getcha.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes while Sunset stepped forth. “Luna, I know you blame yourself for what happened to Galahad, but that wasn’t your fault. And rest assured, she will fly again.”

Fluttershy nodded in affirmation. “I looked her over myself. They shielded her before any permanent damage could be done. Please believe me, Luna, I wouldn’t lie about this just for your sake.”

“I’d never assume such trickery of you.” Luna’s eyes stung as she smiled sweetly. “You are the single kindest pony I’ve ever met, Fluttershy. Of course I believe you.”

“Then quit this pity party charade.” said Rarity. She held her nose high, trying against all hope to keep a high sense of pride and dignity. There’d be plenty of time to let the waterworks flow after this was done, so she gulped it down and added: “You’re no loathsome burden, Luna, you’re our friend. You think you take from us, but you’ve a giving heart in you yet. S-so please… don’t leave us for the darkness.”

“She’s right. You’ve brought so much to our lives.” said Applejack, hat in her hooves. Her green eyes swiveled over to the masked figure she knew. Heavy was her heart as she added: “Both of you. Not that I don’t love my family—certainly I do by heaps. But because o’ you two, my house has felt so much fuller and lively and warm. It won’t be the same home without you—either of you coming to visit or break bread with us. Please don’t take that away from us.”

There came slow, steady, rhythmic clicks. Luna looked over her shoulder to see Pinkie standing tall on her hind legs to clap her hooves. “Wow,” said Pinkie facetiously, “you’re all really trying the heartfelt speech routine again? After that worked so well last time, haha!”

“Don’t let her taunts get to you, girls.” said Sunset.

“Well duh.” said Rainbow. Half a moment later, Pinkie lurched up from her shadow and threw her hoof across her shoulder. Unable to help herself, she squeaked out: “Eep!”

“You’re one to talk so big.” teased Pinkie, leaning upon her casually as long friends could feel comfortable in doing. She duly ignored Rainbow’s narrowing eyes. “All your bluster was gone after one encounter with me. You folded faster than Luna.”

Rainbow grabbed that too casual hoof and proceeded to toss Pinkie over her shoulder and down to the ground. “I was in a bad place then. I’m better now.” She looked up at Luna from where she held Pinkie down. “I guess… I understand you a little better because of that.”

“Bonding over mutual toxicity?” Pinkie coughed up a laugh as she gripped at the hooves pinning her. The throw had winded her for a moment, so her grip was weak. “Heh, how cute.” She faded beneath Rainbow’s shadow, who sank onto the ground with a confused look when she was gone. The long shadows provided by the surrounding woods and the light of dawn would make this tricky.

“And you, you’re so jumpy for a Princess of Patience. So easy to trick.”

They all whirled around to where Pinkie had appeared next to Sunset. Her horn was already lowered with a growing glow.

Pinkie threw a small bouquet of flowers in her face and the blast sent petals into a colorful shower all around them. While they were distracted, she swept the legs and sent the princess thudding onto her side. Sashaying by in the remaining confusion, she said: “Or were those shots not not mistakes? I bet you were actually trying to kill me.”

“What?” asked Sunset as she pushed herself up. She then immediately felt like a fool for taking the bait.

“You must really hate me.” cooed Pinkie over her shoulder at her. “Just like you hated Luna. Or do you look down on me, the goofy little peasant cavorting with my betters? Is that i—”

A crackling sent Pinkie leaping back. Rarity stepped forth, icy energies fading from her horn as the frosty trap too began to fade. Next, her cool grip brought her blade telekinetically before her. “Enough preamble, Pinkie. If this is the only way to help you… so be it.”

“Cutting to the chase I see.” said Pinkie before beating her wings to dash back over to Luna’s side. “Fair enough, then.”

Applejack loosened the lasso from her side and tossed her hat to a safe corner out of the way. She widened her stance, tense shoulders raising above her head. “Mayhaps this time we hogtie her until she’s better.”

Fluttershy blinked. Leaning over to Dash, she whispered: “I’m glad she didn’t pick me. I don’t know that I could have handled it.”

Pinkie was in the middle of fiddling with her mask when her ears perked up at that. With the gold resting atop her head, they could see her offended face. “Uh, of course not? That would be messed up.”

They all gawked at her a moment, incredulous. Their widened stances pulled back, their shoulders went slack, and none among them knew whether to balk or laugh.

Pinkie felt dozens of magenta hairs suddenly spring up around her shoulders in messy curl. She tried to smooth them down with great frustration. “Look, I’m evil, not a monster. I have standards, ya know!”

It began as a small snicker. By the time Pinkie looked over at Luna, she was clutching her bandaged sides with bright guffaws hooting out of her uncontrollably. She laughed and laughed, each bubbly chuckle sending more ruddy pink locks curling back.

Pinkie’s face went beet red. With gritted teeth, she reached up and yanked Luna by the chin. Her mask came off in the same motion, and she showed her hold over both for all to see. “The reason you haven’t won is because your hero’s been holding back! She was too scared she’d hurt precious Pinkie, but there won’t be any holding back when she’s under my control. And none of you will ever laugh at me again!”

The mask raced towards Luna’s face, shadowy tendrils within ready for a loving embrace, like a puppet’s strings love tugging on the little dancer. Try as the rest might to rush in to intervene, it was too late to reach them. But then, a heavy clink sounded off as Luna clamped her hooves upon the edges. Turning just so, Pinkie lost hold of it as she was yanked into an embrace of Luna’s own.

“I’m not laughing at you,” she told Pinkie softly, “I’m delighted by you. I was such a fool to give up, because all you’ve done is give me hope.”

Pinkie paused. A few more hairs stood on end. When one of the others got the idea to go for the mask she’d dropped, however, she squirmed out of her hold. When she came up, frowning mask returned, she held a long, narrow dagger pointed at Luna. “Enough. Stand up and fight me.”

Luna looked at the blade’s tip aimed for her heart. Normally, she’d be fearfully imagining that beating organ being run through, and it would start drum much faster. But oddly, its thudding was steady and firm. Meeting Pinkie’s eyes, she simply said: “No.”

Pinkie was dumbstruck. She grimaced. “You can’t just say ‘no’ to a fight. That’s not how a fight works.”

Shrugging, almost playefully so, Luna said: “I don’t care.”

“But…” Pinkie glanced at the rest of them, their stances uneasy. It was as though they worried she might actually kill her. Which… they should think that, shouldn’t they? Because she would too, wouldn’t she? Shaking out of it, she said: “Come on. This isn’t how the story’s supposed to go. They’re supposed to lift your spirits for one last showdown—a final set piece where the winner takes it all.”

“Just like your play? I don’t think so.” Luna watched the knife tremble. She stood and stepped closer to it, until the cold tip was grazing her coat. “I told you before. We can write our own story. You and I. Together.”

Pinkie shook. Her head sank. All she had to do was lean forward—even a little bit—and it would be over. She’d win again—for good this time. Ears folding back, she begged: “Please? I don’t want what we have to end. Not yet.”

Luna reached up and pushed the blade away slowly. Pinkie let her. Her smile warmed as the shoulders all around them eased, letting go of so much tension. “It doesn’t have to. But it’s up to you. You have to want to leave the darkness behind. I know it’s hard, but I’ve done it, and so can you. I’ll be here for you. And so will our amazing friends.”

Hair after hair frayed as Pinkie struggled to stay upright, knees seeming like they’d give out any moment. She started to say something but stopped, more than once. The knife began to come up again, only to fall from her hooves. Eyes wincing shut, they could see every muscle tense, every gut clenching. “How can you say that? When I’ve been alone for so long…”

Luna was a little taken aback. Her voice seemed a tiny bit different. “You don’t… have to be alone, you know… Nightmare?”

“Just like that?” A bitter laugh came up, very different to Pinkie’s brighter sort. “Come now.”

“If that’s what it takes.” Luna moved a little closer. “It…” She glanced back at her confused, but hopeful friends. “It certainly worked for me. We could give it a try.”

She smiled at them. They smiled back at her.

The far sun flashed briefly, oh so briefly. Many among them looked away to see it was still indeed a beautiful dawn. Perhaps it had only been a trick of the light. But a voice from on high soon dissuaded such a notion.

“You’ve done quite well thus far, girls. I’ll take it from here.”

Celestia descended, landing with a wave of force and light that sent the shadow possessed mare careening back. Before she could land, let alone regain her balance, the solar queen soared toward her on mighty burning wings, and both were gone in a flash like the one that brought the pale rider of light.

Just like that. Luna gaped in shock at the empty air where they’d just been. It all happened so fast, she couldn’t stop any part of it. A heavy emptiness clung to her. She’d failed those she’d loved again.

No. she thought with renewed vigor. This could not and would not be done in such a way. By my honor, it shall be done my way.

“What did she mean… ‘take it from here?’ What’s the queen gonna…” Applejack got her first answer in the form of Rarity dropping her sword and falling onto her knees.

“Oh my stars.” she said in despair. Rarity looked skyward, but her stars didn’t answer her back. They were already gone to rest.

Fluttershy’s eyes shook. She didn’t believe that. She couldn’t. Clinging to Rainbow, she begged of her: “They’re wrong, aren’t they? She’s Luna’s sister, she wouldn’t…”

Rainbow hardly heard her. She was antsily looking this way and that. Certainly there had to be some sign of which way they’d gone. She could surely reach them before… whatever that meant.

As Luna marched over to the group, Sunset was trying to assure them Celestia wouldn’t hurt her, that they had to calm down, that they didn’t know what she had planned. It wasn’t her Luna was curious about. It was Twilight, whose drooping ears, chewed lip, and eyes staring blankly off at nothing in particular dozens of yards away said it all.

“You told her about this meeting. Didn’t you?” Luna loomed over her and still she wouldn’t give her attention up. So she lowered her head and put her eyes to Twilight’s. “Twilight, I just need you to know that I’m not mad at you. And what happens next is not your fault, okay?”

“I…” muttered Twilight, struggling to keep eye contact. “I did, but… she said she would help—that she’d take care of it.” Shaking her head, she fell back a step. “She wanted to help us—to help you. Why does everypony think… she wouldn’t…”

Luna couldn’t help noticing the gaping looks turning on them. As steadily as she could, she told her: “We are cut of the same cloth, from an age far and away more tumultuous than yours. We both most certainly would—at least, after yesterday’s disaster—and she will.”

Twilight blurted: “Wh—but where—”

“Don’t worry.” said Luna, turning to step away. “I’ve a good idea. I’ll go have a chat with her.”

Rainbow was at her side right away. “Take us with you. C’mon.”

“I don’t think the lot of us showing up and all shouting at once will be very convincing.” She out her hooves upon Rainbow’s shoulders, looking her in the eyes. “But she’s my sister. If anyone understands her best, it’s me. Let me try and reason with her first, and I’ll come back for help if I can’t. Okay?”

Rainbow bit her lip. “But…”

“Do you girls trust me?”

Rainbow hesitated. She looked to the other girls, getting only half hearted endorsement. With a sigh, she let it go. “Okay. We trust you Luna. Go bring Pinkie back to us.”

“Thank you.” said Luna stepping away to get a cleared spell radius. She rather hated lying. But while she did know her sister well enough to have the best chance at convincing her, she also knew all too well what Celestia was capable of. Elements or no, the others couldn’t stand against her. This was for their own good. Let her bear the brunt of the solar might and magic.


Pinkie fell out of the open air and went tumbling across soft, cold fluff. Rising, she shook herself off, taking extra care to clear off her now aching wings. Finally taking in her new scenery, she found herself amid a snowdrift high in the mountains somewhere. Those cotton candy clouds now seemed so tiny in the distance. They also seemed lower than where she now was, as the thinner, crisper air then confirmed.

Above her, the queen hovered gracefully. Even her stern face had a certain elegance to it, even if it was cold as the snow she sat in, rather than warm like the sun she represented. Pinkie stood and gave her an overly exaggerated bow. “Your grace. Most delightful to see you again.”

“I see your sense of humor is still intact. Good.” Celestia stayed aloft while she considered the creature before her. This was the ideal place; the clear weather and exposure to dawn meant there’d be no shadows to flee through. And after all, the light would stay here as long as she deemed it necessary. “It means you’re still in there. I hope, then, you’ll hear me when I tell you this: none of this is personal, and I hate it’s come to this.”

“Is that right?” Pinkie gazed up at her with two smirks. Suddenly feeling over this, she let herself plop down in the snow, lounging back, eased and light as the thinner mountain air. She didn’t even mind when a few more hairs sprang back. If she was to face certain doom, she might as well have a little fun.

“It is indeed.” Celestia told her, unamused. “I hope you and your friends can come to appreciate that while I wish this unnecessary, I cannot risk you gaining access to the full might of the Elements again. For the good Equestrians everywhere.”

“If that helps you sleep at night, queenie.” Pinkie scratched under her chin in the most unbothered manner she could manage.

Still steadily beating her wings, something odd happened. Celestia cracked a slight smile. “I can really see why you caught my sister’s eye. Your wit is a perfect suit to hers, in your own more energetic way.”

Pinkie’s taunting smile grew bitter. A dozen sharp and biting replies crossed her mind. Her smile faded as they each failed to bubble up. But how could she let that stand? Her mask frowned.

“If you’ve any last words, I can pass them along. Mayhaps it will ease the pain of what comes next.” Celestia extended her hoof as if to take the words right out of her and hold them dearly, to pass gingerly like fragile mementos.

Pinkie stared up at her, quiet for a long moment. The way the sun lit up her feathers made them look like gold. But gold is a heavy thing, however soft and malleable. It wouldn’t be able to hover like she was now; she’d sink like a stone and send a spray of cold powder up. Now that was an amusing thought. Pinkie’s smiles returned.

“Yeah,” Pinkie told her, “let them know I said you can’t kill me. But like, cut off the quote halfway to make it sound like I was a goner partway through my act of hubris. I bet Luna would appreciate that. In a dramatic irony sort of way, you know?”

Celestia’s dainty little chin fell ever so slightly agape. She blinked down at the curious little trickster she was in the process of condemning. “Kill? Do you all think me so brutal as to—”

“Yeah, haha. They’re probably all freaking out right this second, thinking you’re burning me to ash or something.” Pinkie waved it off with a hearty chuckle. Pulling her hoof back, she tucked it back behind her head as she relaxed. “Oh, but you’re not going to. Because we’re going to stop you.”

“You may have these strange nightmare powers and the Element of Laughter on your side. It will not be enough, I’m afraid.” Celestia shook her head. Facing her, her voice nearly caught in her throat. This never got any easier. But it had to be. “But enough. I’ve tried to reach what parts of you I can. Goodbye, Pinkie.”

She watched her queen’s horn alight with some new energies. Then, she promptly pointed off in the other direction, beyond where they faced one another, and said: “Oh, I know I can’t stop you. But she might.”

Celestia stayed focused on her spell. “If you think I’ll fall for the most basic trick in the b—oof!”

Pinkie crossed one leg over the other with a shake of her head. “Shoulda listened to me. You really thought I’d lie about something like that. How rude of you.”

Spinning through the air, Celestia lost her spell concentration, but she wrenched her hooves aside and tossed her assailant, spiking them right into another nearby snowdrift. She was just about to ready a sunbeam when she noticed the navy blue feathers. Powder blue locks came shaking out of the snow. A sigh hissed through her teeth. She should have known. “Luna.”

“Don’t you ‘Luna’ me.” spat Luna glaring up at her. She was very glad for the jacket, shaking off the last of the snow. “I almost had this. Then you come butting in. Did you make Twilight tell you everything about last night?”

Celestia’s lip curled into a perturbed sneer at that. “I didn’t have to make anypony do anything. I simply asked her so that I might take care of this.”

Luna’s wings fidgeted. “I’m not your sad little baby sister anymore. I don’t need you stepping in for me.”

Eyes of royal purple gazed down with all the ire of a chiding parent. As sensitively as she could, the queen said: “Meaning you no offense, you’ve had several chances to. Now move.”

“One more is all I’m asking for. Please, Celestia, I swear I was getting through to—”

“Like how you almost got through to her yesterday? And how that was simply a ploy for her to charm the other Elements and use their powers to nearly reduce those innocent bystanders—ones you involved in that, might I add—to ash?” Celestia shook her head with disappointment. “No, Luna. This ends now.”

Luna’s nostrils flared with a defiant snort. Eyes locked with Celestia’s, she stepped over and stood in front of Pinkie. There was no need to utter another word. The determination—the lunar fire of her eyes said it all.

Celestia gaped at her. “I know you’re upset. But you’re being irrational. She nearly killed those people; your dragon friend included.”

“Her name is Galahad.” said Luna flatly.

A hoof pointed down at her like a biting accusation. “Surely you must understand the mare you loved is lost to us. She nearly killed you—nearly took you from us—from me, your sister.”

“But she didn’t, did she?” Luna’s brows arched up at her. “She’s held back all of Nightmare’s felling blows. You speak down to me about seeing this situation for what it is, but overlook that. How is that fair?”

It was Celestia’s turn for a quick, harsh breath to flare her nostrils. “And yet you haven’t managed to pull her out. Enough has to be enough. I’ve allowed weeks of her remaining an existential threat to my people—people you yourself used to be the guardian of as well, before you abandoned them for that paltry little polycule.”

Luna’s face flushed, even as Celestia covered her mouth with clear regret for letting that one tumble free. She began to say her friends were not such a thing. But she didn’t know what it meant. One of her drooping ears flickered at Pinkie cackling behind her. She tried to move on with: “There you go looking down on me again. When all I want is to live my own life.”

Celestria threw her hoof out at her side, her hackles raising. “You don’t get your own little life, don’t you understand? You don’t have to lead with me in politicking, but the Element of Magic chose you. You have a responsibility to put its powers—and those of the rest of the Elements—to good use. For the good, not just of the people of our nation, but the entire world they could potentially threaten if used improperly—just like your own deeper wells of magic afforded by being an alicorn. Have you forgotten the weight of your own power? Have you forgotten what those stones can do?”

“N-no!” Luna winced. She’d seen firsthand what they could do far too many times to ever forget; the recent melting of golden scales needn’t even come up in that conversation. “Regardless, I’m not letting you kill her.”

A shout of frustration finally escaped her. Celestia careened out of the sky, lashing the cold dust all around them as she now hovered a foot off the ground. “Tartarus,” she barked, “I was going to send her to Tartarus. I’m not so cruel as to ask you to ever speak to me again if I had your little girlfriend’s blood on my hooves.”

Luna gulped. They stared at each other for what felt like a full minute. Pinkie finally stood up and leaned on her haunch to look up over Luna’s shoulder. She asked the sisters: “So does this mean we’re not having Hearth’s Warming dinner at the castle?”

With an exasperated sigh, Celestia said: “One last chance, Luna. Please. Don’t make me do this.”

Luna glanced back at Pinkie who smiled oh so sweetly and waved at her. It was as though this was just another lovely autumn day they were sharing. If only it was so. Meeting Celestia’s glare, she said: “You still needn’t. What were your own words, moments ago? ‘I’m not making anypony do anything.’”

Celestia considered the defiant shrug very carefully. She nodded slowly. “Alright then.” she said. Her wings finally lowered her onto the snow, which hissed at her touch. Steam billowed up and whipped in the wind as her fiery mood was realized. “Just know that I take no pleasure in this—”

“Hey, that sounds familiar.” interrupted Pinkie Pie.

“—but if it must be this way,” continued their queen, glaring at Pinkie over her shoulder, “then so be it. And Luna? Once, you know, I always considered you my equal.”

“Would that it always felt that was the case.” Luna’s tone was sorrowful rather than bitter. She knew her sister meant it. Regretfully, she widened her stance as the avatar of the sun began to approach, hissing step after hissing step.

Celestia’s stony expression softened the tiniest little touch, from granite to marble. “You’re right. Had I been able to better express that, how much suffering between us could I have avoided? I am truly sorry for that, little sister. As I’m sorry for what comes next.”

“Then don’t be.” As stalwart as her stance was, Luna still felt incredibly uneasy, heart pounding against her chest. Ears folding back, she met her eyes far less furiously, one last time. “One last chance. Please, Celestia, I’m begging you—I’ll get down on my knees if I have to, whatever it takes.”

“Hey,” complained Pinkie behind her, “only I get to make you beg on your knees.”

“Would you please hush, dear?” asked Luna, not taking her eyes off Celestia. Grimacing, she added: “I’m trying so very hard right now to avoid having to trounce my sister for you.”

“Ah, but here’s the thing.” Tsssssssss. The melting snow boiled under Celestia’s step, as though the sun itself were eking into her body, filling the imperfect vessel up with uncontainable heat. She lifted her nose and lowered her gaze; it was an easy thing to do, being over a head taller than Luna. “You were sadly stuck inert for a thousand years. While I kept up my practice—my learning during that time.”

Author's Note:

Place your bets now for how this will end!