• Published 8th Oct 2019
  • 2,740 Views, 87 Comments

True Harmony - Saturni_Rose



Third installment to my AU where Luna is the protagonist; now, new shadows lurk in her quiet life.

  • ...
4
 87
 2,740

Part 23: Tomorrow. The sun will rise again tomorrow.

Minutes had gone by since the eclipse had faded, allowing the sun to burn as intended. The mares present in the old, dried out garden paced about, every worst case scenario playing out slightly differently across each unique imagination. And every new result was sobering, or terrifying, or filled them with dread. And just when they thought they couldn’t stand it any longer, a blue flash drew them back to the garden’s heart.

Luna tried to lower Pinkie, who simply rolled her eyes and turned the motion back around on her, setting her down on the empty plinth to rest. Despite the protests and hissed breath through gritted teeth, Pinkie pulled her jacket open to inspect her bandaged chest. “Stop acting tough, ya big lug. We should…”

Luna was looking beyond her shoulder, mouth straight. Pinkie peered back to find tense mares gathering around with great apprehension, their nervous caution like writs as they lowered into pounce-ready stances, or aimed their horns. Luna spoke up first: “Girls. It’s okay. Everything,” she sighed with much relief, despite the pain she felt, “is okay now.”

Eyes all around flicked this way and that to share in uncertainty yet, a wave of blues and purples and greens washing across them and then back again. The eyes, Luna realized—it was the eyes. She hadn’t had a chance to see for herself, but she felt at them, wondering how they’d changed. And of course, Luna thought dourly, they need a reason to trust me again, don’t they?

The princesses pressed in between the other Elements and came forth. Twilight ran a spell across one of them while Sunset caught the other. A moment after exchanging confused looks, they swapped targets. Twilight spoke up first: “I don’t understand. You both seem to have signs of Nightmare presence on you.”

“Yeah and what happened to you?” Sunset looked a little closer at Luna in particular. She was no less wary, but neither was she any less concerned by the sorry sight slumped before her. “You look like you were hit by a wagon.”

Luna tapped her hooves together pensively. “My sister and I had a little… disagreement.”

“Dude.” blurted Rainbow, intoning some small offense. “You said you’d come get us if she didn’t wanna talk it out.”

“I did.” Luna nodded weakly, feeling at the sore side of her face. “And I should have brought you along to begin with. But she’s my sister; I wanted to be the one to handle her.” Tugging at her jacket, she risked a glance at her seeping bandages, adding: “That was foolish of me.”

“Good thing I had your back.” Pinkie playfully nudged her.

“Holy crud, your sister did that to ya?” asked Applejack.

“I thought you two had made amends though.” added Rarity.

Rainbow snorted: “If you’d’ve brought me, I—”

“Girls.” interjected Twilight. Her eyes were wild as she motioned for them to simmer down before tensely returning her gaze to Luna. “I still don’t understand why we’re detecting Nightmares in both of you.”

“Nightmare.” corrected Luna nervously. “There’s still only the one. And we’re… how do I explain this?”

“We’re sharing it.” spoke up Pinkie.

“What?” asked Twilight aloud, mirroring the confused sentiments forming around her. She bristled up, wondering what, exactly, she should do with this information.

Luna held up her hooves in the most disarming fashion she could manage. Pinkie took up the same stance at her side as she explained: “Its will was weaker than that of its original, fuller form, so, well, between the two of us—”

“I-it can’t take control,” stammered Pinkie, joining her defense, “it can’t make us do anymore messed up stuff—”

“And it feels much calmer,” added Luna quickly, “like it’s happier now, so—”

Sunset raised a hoof. “Girls, please slow down. This is a lot to take in all at once.” Turning, she asked: “Twilight, what do you think?”

“It’s all very unprecedented.” said Twilight, never taking her eyes off them even as she shook her head. Shrugging, she added: “But then, Nightmare possession isn’t exactly a well documented phenomenon to begin with. No reason it shouldn’t be possible, conceptually. I think…”

Seeing the confused faces of her nervous friends, Pinkie tried to fold her new wings back as if she could hide them. She stammered out: “You gotta believe me, I’m normal again.” When she realized exactly what she’d just said, she pursed with thought and tapped her chin. “Well, okay I was never all that normal, but—”

“Did you really mean it?” Fluttershy stepped forward, staring straight at Pinkie. “What you said about not wanting to mess with me—not wanting to hurt me?”

Pinkie glanced again at the others before meeting her eye-to-eye. After a moment, she said: “Yes. As bad as I got, I just couldn’t let myself hurt you especially. You’re way too nice—too good and kind for all this. I…” She looked away and gripped at her shoulder. Her wings were fidgeting; she still wasn’t used to how they moved according to her emotions, so it was awkward. Her gaze faltered more, but she managed to add: “I’m sorry I couldn’t stop myself better, for the rest of you. Especially for the princess, and my best f—oof.”

She felt somepony push against her and wrap around tight. It was such a warm feeling in the cool autumn morn. A single hiccup escaped her as Pinkie pat the hugger across the shoulder.

“O-oh, Fluttershy, I don’t deserve a hug, but—”

“I’m not hugging you.” said Fluttershy sweetly and amused at the same time.

Looking to the side, Pinkie saw it was true. She finally realized the one embracing her was sky blue. A single tear rolled with a quiet burble of laughter. “It’s good to see you too, Rainbow.”

“It really is you!” Dash played with her bouncy magenta hair.

“It really is.” Pinkie absently repeated, now far more at ease.

“I’m so sorry, dude.” croaked Rainbow. “I shoulda looked for you after the concert, if I had found you, maybe—”

“No, no, none of that.” Pinkie rubbed her back a touch before pulling her back to kiss her on the forehead. “I’ve had enough of the blame claim game today, thanks. Luna blames herself, you blame yourself, I blame myself? Let’s just stop and enjoy that it’s over for now.”

Rainbow combed her wind-whipped, colorful bangs aside and cleared her throat. “Okay, ahem, yeah, sure. It’s whatever, man. Just…” She trembled ever so slightly. “I-it’s so good to have my best pal back, okay?”

Fluttershy held back no longer. She launched herself at the two of them, wrapping them up with her wider wingspan and lankier legs. Her eyes watered and she sniffled.

“Oh, c’mon, Flutters.” complained Rainbow weakly, wriggling in her hold ever so slightly. Not that she wasn’t strong enough to overcome Fluttershy; she simply didn’t feel like it at the moment. “If you cry, you’re gonna make me cry.”

Speaking of crying, an already blubbering Rarity threw herself into the mix. She’d left the sword behind, along with any silly notions of maintaining an air of dignity. “It’s over,” she said with shaking shoulders, “it’s finally over.”

Rainbow started to protest anew, despite her own vision beginning to blur. Applejack ambled over and joined in, telling her: “Hush up and let it out, girl. We’re all feelin’ it.”

Rainbow thought of half a dozen snappy responses, but let each one go. If there were any ponies she could let see through the bluster, it was them. She allowed herself to cry a little. It was nice to let go.

Luna looked on and smiled. Sunset then drew her attention with a hoof placed upon her shoulder. “You’re really sure about all this? This is the solution you want?”

“Yeah,” added Twilight sluggishly, “loathe as I am to undermine your judgment, this could be some long term ploy, no? Wh-what if it’s trying to bide its time to build power enough to overtake you?”

Luna quietly pondered that a moment before flashing a vicious smile up at the nervous lavender mare, her newly draconic eyes narrowing in a playful smugness. “And when that day comes to pass, I hope it will be you to put me down. Don’t let Sunset do it, she won’t get it right.”

Twilight’s eyes went wide, as though she thought her completely serious. Luna belted out a laugh hearty enough to immediately regret it and grip at her chest. Sunset leaned over between them and said: “Girl. Really?”

“Yes, really. You rely too much on energy beams.” Luna gently pushed on her chin to point at Twilight. “She’ll use her penchant for teleportation to grapple me into submission. I’d prefer a more intimate defeat if it’s all the same to you.”

“Would you please take this seriously?” asked Twilight a little more sternly.

“My apologies if I’m ruffling your feathers, dear.” With a broad smile, she gave Twilight a more level gaze. “I’ve taken things much too seriously for much too long. I want to enjoy myself more.”

“Gee,” mused Sunset with a ride of her rakish brow, “I wonder who influenced you to say that.”

Luna gently pushed away her now churlish face once again, smirking as the princess chuckled. Meeting Twilight’s concerned eyes again, she told her: “But yes. While this was not my ideal solution, it seems to work for us. And I’m absolutely certain the tricks and deceptions are over.”

“Absolutely is… very certain.” Twilight considered her carefully, measuring how much trust to have in her words. She wanted to give every ounce of it, but those eyes were hard to meet. She’d seen them upon so many tapestries and paintings—the eyes of a bitter mare turned monster and portent of doom.

Luna placed a hoof over her heart and felt its thudding. “It’s hard to describe. But it feels so much more at peace now. It knows it can’t overtake us now, but it’s… it feels almost happy to be accepted—to be a welcome part of us.”

Twilight hesitated. “Just like that?” She rolled her uninjured hoof. “All that effort to get at you, all the fighting, and it’s over?”

“It sounds strange. And it is. We’re an odd pair of mares, certainly.” Luna nodded over at Pinkie showing off her wings for the girls. “Perhaps, being a smaller piece, its will simply is that well bent to ours. It could also be that it missed being a part of me in particular, acting out because of it, and now that we are…”

“Interesting.” said Sunset after Luna trailed off to ruminate. “I suppose, as long as you feel in control, then we can call this over and done.”

Twilight searched the ground at her feet, the moments passing her by, brows still somewhat knit in consternation. “But—”

“Luna.” Rainbow interrupted without realizing as she ambled over. She took Luna’s hoof in both of hers and shook it, seeing as a hug was probably out of the question for the time being. “Listen, I just wanted to say I’m real sorry for how I’ve acted during all of this.”

“Rainbow.” said Luna softly, weakly. “You and the others had every right to be upset with me.”

“I mean, sure, I guess. I didn’t have to go so hard, though.” She held Luna’s hoof closer to her chest. “Anyhow, thanks a million for bringing my best friend back. Hope we can be cool again and you’ll be my second best.”

“A spot above Gilda? You honor me.” Luna’s teeth gleamed in the morning light when she donned a teasing smile.

Rainbow was a touch surprised, but quickly matched Luna’s churlish expression. “The two of you can call it a tie. Though I think she might be the better singer, sorry to say.”

“You wound me.” said Luna as if she weren’t literally already wounded. When Rainbow’s snicker subsided, she pulled her against her shoulder and held her gently. “Thanks for giving me a second chance, though. I really mean it.”

Rainbow pat her back, trying to be mindful of the poor gal’s ribs. “O-oh, er, it’s no biggie, dude. You’re not perfect, but… you make good on your promises.”

“I’ll try to keep doing so, and do right by you girls. No more dark secrets. Oh, and I should probably train everypony on how to use their Elements. Maybe it could be on the days we hold book club and—”

“Well, I think you should rest up first. You’ve been through a lot to save one ours, so take her easy for a bit, huh?” Rainbow held her shoulder as they parted.

Luna glanced past her. Pinkie was giggling as Fluttershy felt the fine white fur on her new wings, and Rarity was looking her over, doubtless trying to come up with new additions to her wardrobe to suit her changed looks. Looking back at Rainbow, she told her: “No, I think she saved me just as much as I did her.”


Tomorrow had yet to come. Luna’s eye flung open from a brief doze. A certain someone had thrown back the curtain between their hospital beds, and the clinking rings had roused her. “Mmng?” She rubbed the drowsiness from one eye. “Yes, Pinkie?”

“I’m sorry. I can’t sleep.” Pinkie sheepishly tapped her hooves together.

“I can. Goodnight.” She closed her eyes again.

“Wh—aw, hey, c’mon.” whined Pinkie.

“Kidding,” said Luna, bemused, “I’m only kidding.” She didn’t dare turn over in bed. Her sides hurt too much. They’d had to redo all the stitch work, and she was regretting not taking her first prescription of bedrest. It brought back memories of battle, and soldiers getting sewn up just enough to fight again, only she was more the fool for not taking her time. For the moment, shifting a hoof over toward her would have to suffice. “What’s on your mind?”

Pinkie’s hooves were still fidgeting together. “We had to spend so long today explaining our… little arrangement to everyone, and getting patched up. I never got to ask you. Are we… good?”

Mouth slightly agape, Luna thought for a few sleepy blinks. “You know, I think you put it rather eloquently earlier. We might not be good, exactly, as we are now. But we’re certainly far better.”

“I guess so.” Pinkie thought to leave it at that. But she lingered at the edge of Luna’s bed yet. “Do you think we’ll ever be good again?”

“All we can do is try.” Fumbling for it, she found Pinkie’s hoof and tapped it gently. “I’m willing to make the attempt if you are.”

Pinkie took the hoof and held it in both of hers. “Then… thanks for giving me a second chance.”

“Why shouldn’t I offer you one?” Luna smiled weakly through the drowsiness. “Or my sister, for that matter? The world saw fit to give me one, despite everything I’d done. And you’ve seen what that entails now.”

Pinkie looked her over a bit more soberly. After a moment, she said: “I have.”

Luna felt Pinkie’s eyes weigh heavily upon her. “Do you have some small fear of me? Now that you fully understand what I am?”

“No.” said Pinkie without hesitation. “Because that’s not who you want to be. Your past is not who you are.”

“But it will always be here with me.” Luna pointed at her changed pupils, widened oval shapes in the low light. Her hoof then pointed out Pinkie’s new wings. “It will be here with us.”

Pursing her lips in thought, Pinkie nodded. “Then we’ll just have to try extra hard to be better—to be good. Together.” With a wink, she added: “I’ll keep you in check if you do the same for me.”

“Certainly.” said Luna with a soft smile. “Though, I don’t think that will be hard for you. You already did so much just to put a smile on your neighbors’ faces.”

“Oh, pshaw. I just… liked making folks happy. Even if I come across as a weirdo in the process.”

“Nonsense. I think I should take inspiration, if anything.” She stifled a yawn.

Pinkie smiled back at her. Then, it slowly twisted with burning curiosity. “And what about what your sis said this morning? Think we’ll ever get there?”

Luna didn’t react quite so viscerally as before. All the better for her own health. “I honestly don’t know. I’d never thought about such things, especially having any children.”

Pinkie shrugged. “Neither did I. But then, I never thought I’d find a mare who’d put up with me long enough to consider it.”

“My, what an honor.” teased Luna. She let Pinkie’s light laughter subside before adding: “At any rate, let’s call it a no for now.”

“Yeah.” agreed Pinkie, scratching the back of her neck. “I don’t think I’m ready for that kind of commitment. Uh, on both of those, I mean.”

“But,” suggested Luna cautiously, “let us also never say never. If we can make this work, who knows? We may yet change our minds after a few years.”

Pinkie considered her very carefully for a long, quiet moment. “You’d really go through all that with me?”

Luna finally shifted her head over on her pillow to properly meet her eyes. “Yes,” she mused, “I think I would. In due time, of course—we’ve only been together for about a month or two, after all.”

Pinkie drew a long breath and let it go. “That’s a future us problem I guess, but… I suppose I could. If it was you I was with when I was ready.”

“That really means a lot to me.” Luna pat her hoof again.

“And you mean a lot to me.” Pinkie took the hoof in both of hers. They stayed just like that, quiet for a few minutes.

Luna yawned again, wincing slightly. “Speaking of future us, how about we reconvene in the morning? I haven’t slept particularly well during all of this.”

“Okay.” agreed Pinkie. She leaned over and gave her a quick peck on her brow. “Goodnight, Luna.”

“Goodnight, Pinkie.”

The curtains clinked closed again. Weariness tugged at Luna’s mind, full and racing as it was. Sleep found her easily enough, and she fell into a deep slumber. And when back in the land of errant thoughts, she dreamed again of the rolling seas of golden wheat they’d pass by train.

Pinkie found her watching that very train humming by in the distance, gathered bundles held aplenty by her folded wings. Shooting her an amused, though somewhat incredulous look, she said: “This is a rather mundane dream, don’t you think?”

Luna smiled at her and simply shrugged. “Mundane, perhaps; very much so. But isn’t it peaceful?”

“It is.” agreed Pinkie, straw hat wobbling in the summer breeze. “Even better that it’s here with you.”

She took the gathered wheat from her and tossed it aside. This was but a dream, so why should they work through it? She plopped down and tapped the spot next to her. “Then let’s take it easy. We have all the time in the world here.”


The following morning, the two of them were looked over for any complications that might warrant a further stint, then duly checked out once none were found. When the nurse at the front desk made a passing joke about seeing the two of them again next season, their laughter was a touch stiff. Luna was saying how she looked forward to not needing the bandages so she could take a long, hot bath as they headed out. And out the front door, a big surprise was waiting for them. Emphasis on big.

Galahad sat on the side of the street with surprisingly good posture, given the injuries along her back. And despite the sharpness of her smile, there was quite a warmth to it. With a slight nod, she told them: “And good morrow, you two.”

“Galahad?” Luna reached out and touched her huge claw fondly. “It’s so good to see you up and about.”

Pinkie, meanwhile, leapt up to hug the space where that great, wide neck met shoulder. “Miss Galahad, I am so, so sorry I blasted you with the Elements!”

“Pish.” uttered the dragon with nonchalance. She scooped Pinkie up with her claw and coaxed her up onto her shoulders. “I’ll shed the melted scales soon enough and all will be right as rain. ‘Tis but an inconvenience for now.”

Stumbling across her shifting shoulders, Pinkie could already see the glimmering cracks in the smeared plates of scorched slag. They’d been strategically snapped at certain spots to allow the dragon her movement unhindered. “Wow, they took good care of you, huh?”

“Just so.” said Galahad with a smirk, nodding her affirmation.

“Still, I’m sorry for—”

“Stuff and nonsense.” Gal snorted with a little less patience as this went on. Looking down at Luna, she said: “Besides, you’re hardly the first pony friend I’ve done battle against. It’s nearly a rite of passage at this point.”

Luna fondly recalled the two of them whiling away hours at a time sharing their respective tales of past triumphs and tribulations. Smiling up at her, she said: “I really appreciate you coming by to speak with us.”

Galahad laid her claw out, palm up before Luna. “Well, I did indeed want the chance to catch up. But there’s more to my presence than my own desires. Come.”

Luna was taken slightly aback, wondering what this could mean. But then, she was with two people she had utmost trust in, so her worries subsided quickly enough. She sat next to Pinkie across her broad, draconic shoulders, and off they went.

The day was a deal past dawn by then, so plenty of Ponyville denizens were awake and ready to start their day. Their plans and chores and jobs, however, could wait, they decided. Upon seeing a great glittering beast with two returning members of the community, scathed but ultimately safe and sound, they dropped everything to form up at the streets’ edges to wave. Halfway through the trip, it was an impromptu parade. Someone had even gone and bought a couple bouquets, passed them around, and they were tossing the individual flowers for them.

Luna wore a smile, but Pinkie could easily see how fake it was. She whispered to her: “Still don’t like being the local hero?”

Leaning over, Luna told her: “I can’t imagine they’d be cheering my name if they knew just how spectacularly I failed along the way.”

“But you succeeded in the end.” said Pinkie with a shrug. “That’s what they care about. Two of their favorite local ponies came back to them, and it’s still thanks to you.”

Luna’s brow began to knit inward as it was wont to do when she had plenty of attention she didn’t seek out. “Perhaps. Though, the problem was also my doing. Doesn’t that matter to them? How can they—”

“It wasn’t your fault alone, and if you don’t stop thinking that way, I’ll give them another reason to cheer.” Pinkie nudged her playfully. “It will be very embarrassing. You will hate it.”

“How do y—” started Luna. But when she saw the churlish grin, she got the picture. Narrowing her eyes, Luna said: “Oh, you wouldn’t dare.”

“Wouldn’t I?” she asked, tone oozing with the hopes Luna would challenge her further.

Cheeks flushing, Luna looked the other way. “Fine, dear. I’ll not dwell if you promise not to make us the subject of yet more gossip.”

Looking away herself, Pinkie crossed her hooves and wondered aloud: “How do I tell her the gossip is already out there? Hmm.”

“Hence why I said ‘more’ gossip.” said Luna, chagrined. As she turned back round, she found herself face to face with Pinkie, their snouts mere inches apart. “Oh. Hello there.”

Pinkie peeked out of the corner of her eye at the little throng of hooting ponies hoping to see a kiss. She rolled her eyes before unfolding her wing to screen their faces from the onlookers. A chuckle escaped her as they hollered just that tiny bit more excitedly. “This is for me, not them.”

Luna let her softly peck her lips before parting. She looked at the blushing mare trying to play it off, twirling an errant curl of mane. Smirking, Luna said: “Of course you know this means I get to keep on griping.”

Pinkie smacked her forehead.

The trip ended at the library. They could spy the gathered crowd from cresting the hill in the final stretch. Absolutely everyone was there; mayor Mare, the other Elements and their little sisters (or sister adjacent in Scootaloo’s case), Gilda, Trixie, Calypso, Hope, Ruby, Marble, the bandmates of Lined Lips. And at the gathering’s head, Twilight, Sunset, and even her sister opened their hooves and claws to welcome Luna home.

Something about seeing Celestia here, beaming despite the trouncing she’d received, tugged on Luna’ heartstrings. In some small way, she finally felt accepted.

The entire local block had come out to see what involved so much sitting royalty, and cheered uproariously from street corners and and windowsills. Nevermind that not that long ago, they’d been cheering instead for these very two returning ponies to have at each other in their pitched duel.

Twilight announced their return, so the two of them bowed and waved to the crowd. “Sunset and I have helped out where we can,” she told them as the other Elements went to help them down, “but the bulk of salvation was done by the Elements themselves. Especially Luna.”

Luna bristled up as they applauded her. When she found a gap to speak in, she told them all: “This was far and away not simply my doing. I couldn’t have gotten this far without my friends. And Twilight—your majesty, I should say, your tracking spell was paramount to success. Not to mention, I would have been caught completely unawares had it not been for princess Sunset.”

The call of the crowd was a wash of incredulity and playful jeering. They didn’t want her modesty, they wanted their local hero. Glancing back, the others involved in her prior plan even added to the applause, despite the danger they found themselves in because of her. She couldn’t stop the bittersweet smile forming across her face. It was almost too much to bear when she saw her sister match it.

“At any rate,” she told them as they simmered down again, “it’s just good to be home again. I look forward to being your neighbor and librarian once more. Thank you all for having me as such.”

Celestia made her way over and hugged her sister dearly. She was ginger in her touch, minding her sides. It was certainly a change from the day prior. She whispered: “Sorry to put you on the spot. I thought it might be good to show your hometown that everything is okay now.”

Luna nodded, quietly telling her: “Everything only is if you are. Things got a little tense yesterday, to say the least of it.”

Pulling apart, the queen said: “Now you stop that. That was my doing. I forced your move, and I never want to again.”

Brushing her mane away from where it hid the queen’s bruised brow, Luna sighed. “I still could have tried harder to escape. Surely I could have avoided—”

“Enough.” interrupted Celestia. She pulled her sister in to kiss one cheek, then the other. “I promise to try my best to respect your choices and capabilities and never pit you against me again. I love you so, little sister.”

“And I love you too, big sister.” Luna’s heart swelled in her chest as she realized she really meant it—that happily, there was no quiet voice prodding the back of her now more occupied mind that this was some convenient lie to get closer, all in service to some ulterior plan. Her joy and her love were fully hers, and mirrored and accepted by that which had reshaped her eyes once more.

Celestia moved to take over the crowd, telling them that her little sister was due for some rest. She ushered the others to lead her away while she kept their rapt attention with tales of the tiny blue filly she fondly recalled chasing after her heels through Everfree castle, and how proud she was of the mare she’d turned into.

As the group made its way for her arboreal home, Hope sidled up to say: “Get your bedrest, Luna. Let me and Ruby take care of the library for now.”

“Thanks, you two.” Luna replied, smile weak but fond, as she wasn’t about to argue back at the moment.

Gilda came up and nudged Pinkie. “And hey, I just wanted to say thanks. You got me into acting to mess with me, but I guess I actually kinda enjoyed it. Who knew?”

Pinkie rested a wing across the griffin’s shoulder. “Hey, I’m glad I accidentally helped you find a new passion. No hard feelings?”

“Only if you won’t hold a grudge over how I acted at your party.” said Gilda with a firm nod. They shook on it.

Sunset leaned over to Twilight as the mayor gave Luna a floral wreath across her shoulders, much to the crowd’s enjoyment. Her seafoam eyes were glad as they were dogged. “I am just happy all of this is finally over.”

“I hear you.” said Twilight. She shuffled closer by and nudged her. “And hey, maybe you and Luna will finally get a chance to get along now too.”

Sunset watched Luna bow to the crowd one more time, their applause washing over her. After a moment, she told Twilight: “Yeah. I think I’d like that.”

Luna’s friends walked her upstairs to find her window had been repaired. They then told her to get into bed and get some rest. She didn’t need much convincing, for her aches, but the offers of getting her the books she’d been meaning to catch up on and some water to drink didn’t hurt her feelings one little bit. Pinkie leaned over to pat the little lamb doll, pleasantly surprised Luna still had it. She then pecked the mare of the hour on the cheek.

On their way out, the girls told Luna to contact any one of them if she needed anything at all. And with that, they left her one by one, Pinkie lingering the longest, thinking up every different way she could say goodbye for the time being. What sweet sorrow parting wrought, after all they’d been through. But she had work to catch up on, even if it was mostly at her own insistence, rather than the Cakes’.

In time, the door was closed with a soft click. She was alone in the quiet of a peaceful morning at long last. Peering out the window at the sunny skies, Luna took a long breath and let it go as she eased back into her stack of pillows.

Her magic grip pulled over the first novel of the bunch, and she happily pried it open. Reading on was a touch tricky, as her mind swam with the musings of what her future could look like. And yet she found she didn’t mind the distraction at all.

Tomorrow had finally come. And for once, it was such a beautiful sight.

The End

Author's Note:

Okay you may have noticed this go up a while ago and then go away. I published it thinking it fine, but that night hopped out of bed to unpublish because I decided actually hated it. Certain characters weren't present at all that I thought should be, some things weren't pointed out or addressed that felt just plain off. It's not the short sweet wrap-up I wanted but it also needed to at least include some of these things, I felt. I'm much happier with this version even though I was trying to keep it on the shorter side.

God this project has been a lot. Thanks for sticking with it even when I wasn't cranking out a chapter a week. I do have plans for an epilogue with some little vignettes to wrap up a couple loose threads on the side, but the core plot of this trilogy is finally done...