• Published 26th Jul 2019
  • 760 Views, 23 Comments

Twilight's School for Gifted Unicorns - Crimson_Moon



Part 1 of a small series, this story takes place in an alternate universe where Celestia is the student, and Twilight the ruler.

  • ...
1
 23
 760

Filly Days (Part 1)

Some time later...

It's been several months since the exam, and Celestia couldn't feel any better! She named the phoenix that hatched from the egg Philomena, who was perched on her shoulder as she trotted down the halls of TGSU. Her next class was Magic History with Sunset Shimmer. Making a few twists and turns in the large school, she finally reached her destination. Sitting down close to the back of the class, the unicorn opened up her desk... Only to be assaulted by a plethora of purple and pink clouds.

"Look at that everypony, 'Princess Twilight' is here!" The neighborhood bully Blueblood mocked, followed by several ponies in class giggling. Looking at the reflection on her desk, she could see why. The clouds she saw earlier were mane and coat dyes, making her look like a cheap knockoff of the Princess. Though they were loosely related, the white foal with lustrous golden locks loved to torment Celestia on almost a daily basis, but thankfully by this time, she was used to his pranks.

Rolling her eyes, she cast a quick removal spell before Miss Shimmer came into class. "Good morning, everypony!" Sunset mumbled, yawning.

"Good morning, Miss Shimmer!" Everypony greeted.

Giving a tired grunt in reply, her horn ignited in a bright red, levitating the chalk behind her and began writing the lesson on the board. Several strokes later, she was finished, producing a murmur from the class. Raising her hoof, Celestia was called on. "Why are we learning about dragon history? I thought we were learning about pony magic." The fiery maned mare smiled at the question, her wrinkles more prominent as a result.

"Glad you asked, Celestia. Though most of your lessons so far have been on the history of pony magic, it's important to learn the magic of other species as well. This helps in understanding the effects your magic will have on all forms of life, not just your own." Dimming the lights, the teacher switched on the crystal projector in the back, near where Celestia sat, and it was easily as old as she was. "The history of dragons in this land dates far back before even Princess Twilight was given her title." Flickering to life, the projector magically displayed a slide-show suspended on an artificial backdrop Miss Shimmer pulled down from the ceiling. The first image showed the Banner of the Three Tribes. "Dragons began to show up in Equestria during the Union of the Three Tribes, sensing the nation's newfound magical power after the Windigos were banished." Flicking to the next slide, a fearsome red dragon as tall as Canterlot Castle was shown bowing before the three ponies from legend: Clover the Clever, Private Pansy, and Smart Cookie. "As You all know, the three Chancellors of Friendship, serving as Royal advisors at the time before founding the Pillars of Harmony, approached the leader of the Dragon race, Dragon Lord Torch. By expressing their concerns and maintaining the dragons do not roost near any settlement, they agreed to let the dragons have the hoards they desired." A few hooves raised up as she paused.

Calling on Blueblood, he stood up. "It's silly to even think they could just barge in and lounge on what's rightfully ours! Why didn't we tell them to leave?!" He exclaimed.

"One more outburst like that, and you'll be held after class for detention, you little-" Stopping to calm herself before she got fired, Sunset continued. "You're on thin ice after pulling that prank on Celestia before class. Don't deny it, I could sniff out the dye agent before I even got near the doors! Now, if you'll pay attention, I'll explain why we didn't drive them out."

Flicking to the next slide, it now showed a mural of what looked like hairy ponies wearing horned helmets chasing ponies out of their homes. The scene was followed by a group of ponies pleading to a nearby dragon, then the hairy helmeted ponies being driven away by dragon fire. "Due to the pillaging nature of our friends, the Yaks of Yakyakistan, many ponies were driven from their homes. Pleading with the dragons, their magical fire drove away the invaders while avoiding the homes altogether." Another filly raised her hoof, the elderly mare calling on her.

"How can fire avoid houses? It's fire!" The filly exclaimed.

"Because Dragon magic has a unique property." Flicking the lights back on and turning the projector off, the teacher pulled up the backdrop and wrote on the blackboard once more. Drawing a picture of a dragon guarding its hoard, she began to explain. "With dragon magic, it's potency gets stronger the bigger the hoard is. It can also cancel out any harmful magic to said hoard as well as avoid its hoard entirely." Drawing a circle around the dragon on top of its riches as well as swirly lines bouncing off of it, most of the class finally understood.

Raising her hoof, Celestia was called on once more. "So when the pony settlement was protected by the dragon's fire, he thought they were part of his hoard too?" She asked, only to receive a nod from the teacher.

"And since foreign magic was now considered part of their hoard, the dragons protected it with magic of their own. However-" She began again, erasing the drawings on the board and drawing new figures. "This also meant they couldn't protect themselves against our magic if we're considered part of it." This time, Sunset drew a dragon being attacked by the same villagers' magic while the fire breathing out of it avoided the ponies. "Which is why it's important to use our magic responsibly." She glared at Blueblood, hoping he would take the hint.

"Makes sense." Celestia mumbled to herself, taking notes. She was a bookworm through and through, taking notes upon notes, enough so that she had at least 3 notebooks for each class. Philomena, perching on the corner of her seat, chirped in agreement. Smiling, the filly levitated a small saltine cracker out of her backpack for the phoenix- it was her favorite. Glancing at the clock, she noticed the time.

The lesson was done, but the class still had another half to go! It was at times like these she forgot that this school wasn't like Magic Kindergarten; Lessons were twice as long, curriculum twice as hard, and the teachers ten times more strict! Erasing the board once more, Sunset Shimmer cleared her throat and addressed the class. "Now that you know how dragon magic works, how about I take you to go see one?" She smiled, a roar of cheers coming from the fillies and foals excited to see a dragon.

Ushering the children to pack their notebooks, she escorted them quietly through the hallways and into the Canterlot Wing- a wing specifically designed to exit out towards the east side of Canterlot Castle. "Now everypony, I expect you to be quiet. So quiet in fact, that I'll be grading you." A chorus of groans followed. "Now don't you groan at me, kids! I have a pounding headache from getting too dr- I mean, from grading tests all last night, and the only thing keeping me alive at this point is this thermos!" She jiggled the object in her magic for emphasis. Good save there, Sunset. "Teacher of the Year" you are not... she thought to herself.

The class kept quiet during the remainder of the trip, save for a few whispers here and there. Celestia was in the back as always, trying to keep herself invisible to the rest of the ponies. Once word got out she was being taught by Twilight herself, the teasing began immediately. Most of the parents whined to the Dean, complaining that a "commoner" was being given special treatment. He had the very same judgement of character about her as well, but thanks to Princess Twilight's interference, Silver Quill was only able to utter the same rehearsed sentence to every family that approached him.

"I'm sorry, but the Princess witnessed the innate magical ability that Celestia possessed with her own eyes: her level of magic power was too much to be taught in the traditional sense. If you have any inquiries, please file them with Day Court." It was very well thought out, and even had a few facts they both agreed on: this small filly's magic was on a separate level altogether.

Turning the corner, Miss Shimmer talked to the guards outside the entrance to the Eastern gardens. After a few minutes, the group was allowed through, though had to be escorted by the guard following the rear. "This everypony, is the Royal Garden!" The fiery maned mare exclaimed. The sight was breathtaking to the rest of the group: several statues were littered about the gardens; some were wacky and mismatched, like the statue labelled simply "Chaos", while others were divine and added elegance, like the statue named "Chrysalis". It was dark green, and depicted what looked like a Pegasus, save for it's butterfly wings and the beginnings of a crooked horn.

The final, most mysterious piece in the garden lay near the center, Celestia always avoiding it whenever she came to visit the garden in her spare time between lessons. The object was a group of stone orbs rotating around a singular large obsidian one in the center. It glowed a sinister orange at night, illuminating the entire balcony it watched over, and nopony knew why or even how. The stone centerpiece was simply labelled "Nightmare", and it always scared her whenever she looked at it for too long. Thankfully, their lesson was during the day when it was inactive, and as an added bonus, the towering dragon from her exams was slumbering on the balcony just behind it, putting her at ease.

"Spike? Spiiiike." Sunset called out, nudging the purple behemoth.

"Nngh, huh, what?" The dragon slowly woke up, his towering form shaking the ground with even the slightest movements. Yawning, he looked around for the source of his interrupted nap, when he saw the teacher and students standing nearby. "Oh, it's just you, Shimmer." Spike yawned, his massive teeth bared.

"Yes, it's just me, Spike. Did you forget something?" She glared at him, gesturing to the children behind her.

"Huh? Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be a guinea pig for you today. *sigh* Alright, just get it over with." He yawned again. "I just wanna nap again."

Stomping her hoof in anger, Sunset huffed and turned around, ready to escort the class back because of Spike's attitude, when suddenly, she got an idea. "Hey everypony, since our resident dragon is being a bit too tired for his own good, why don't I wake him up?" She winked. The class agreed, still keeping quiet for the sake of not spoiling the surprise. Turning around once more, Miss Shimmer charged her horn and fired a quick blast right at the dragon's snout only for it to bounce right off without even a scratch. "As you can see, my magic becomes clearly ignored by Spike's dragon magic. But if a guard were to zap him however..." She smirked to the two escorting guards in the rear.

Offering a small bag of bits, Sunset whispered into their ears and told them exactly what to do. The guards turned down the bits, saying they'd "do it for free on account of his bad breath stinkin' up the garden." Readying their horns, each gave a small pelt of magic to the spot Miss Shimmer tried earlier. It earned an irritating grunt from Spike, bringing his claw up to itch his nose. "Again!" Sunset shouted, the guards repeating their magic. This time, he brought up his entire claw and wiped the entire snout, the dragon's grunts sounding even more annoyed. The guards, not quite satisfied, nodded to each other and gave a large blast this time, giving a pinch to Spike's nose.

"Youch!" He yelped, bringing his head up, only to hit the balcony outside Princess Twilight's room with a resounding Thud.

Smirking at the drake, Sunset continued her lesson. "As you can plainly see, the guard's magic was entirely ignored by his latent draconic magic. Who can answer me why?" She looked at the hooves raised, only to point at Celestia who was just trying to stay away from the statue they were dangerously near. "How about you, Celestia?"

"Huh, what? Oh, um... Because they were part of his hoard?" She asked. Suddenly, she was pushed by Blueblood hard, knocking her a bit too close to the "Nightmare". Unfortunately it was out of view from the teacher.

"Teacher's pet!" He spat with venom while Miss Shimmer was distracted.

You don't have to take it from him, push back... a mysterious voice whispered, sending shivers down her spine.


After the lesson was over, Miss Shimmer assigned homework for the class to pour over when they were at home. Celestia never told her about what happened in the garden, she wouldn't believe her anyways. Packing the last of her things, the filly jumped up from her hooves and excitedly entered Canterlot Castle; Her next magic lesson with Princess Twilight was about to begin! Bounding through the halls, she greeted and was greeted by the staff and guards patrolling the halls, many of them used to her presence by now. "Hi, Flash!" She giggled, waving to the guard outside the Princess' personal quarters.

"Hi Celly!" He smiled back. Flash Sentry was unusual for a Royal Guard: he was a Pegasus instead of the traditional,unicorn, and didnt have any masking enchantments on his armor, his orange coat and blue spiked mane showing clearly through. "Are you here for another lesson?"

"Yeah! I'm super excited! What do you think she's gonna teach me?!" The unicorn beamed.

"I... Don't know, could be anything" Flash scrunched his muzzle.

"Aw, no fair! You know, don't you?" She pouted.

"She... might have said something on our last d-, I mean, patrol!" He blushed.

"Ooh, she finally did it?! I knew she would!" She giggled, happy her plan worked. Celestia had been trying desperately to get Princess Twilight to spend time with Flash Sentry, and it seems her hard work finally paid off, though them dating wasn't something she expected. The filly was even more excited now, in the special way when children find out grownups are dating that is. "Twilight and Flash Sentry, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" She sang.

"AHEM!" A voice spoke up behind the two. Curling his head, Flash nervously smiled before straightening himself out and standing at attention.

"Princess Twilight, Celestia is here for her lesson." He saluted.

"I can see that. Now what was this about sitting in a tree?" She arched her brow at him.

"U-uh, I um..." He stammered. Celestia quietly giggled behind him.

"I see." she stared between the two. "Come Celestia, your lesson awaits."

Trotting in quickly behind, the little filly gave the guard a smug grin right before the door shut. Looking around the personal quarters of the Princess never ceased to amaze Celestia. In the main area sat a small lounge with pillows set right near Princess Twilight's personal fireplace. Attached to that was a small balcony overlooking the gardens, and provided an excellent view of the sun's rising and setting. Finally, there was the bedroom, separated by a velvet curtain to the left of the lounge.

The Princess trotted past the curtains, tying them as they parted with her magic. A round lavender bed sat in the corner, surrounded by bookshelves- Twilight's personal collection. Just the opposite of that sat a small writing desk for her personal missives. "I had some of my raspberry chamomile tea brewed today." The lavender Alicorn spoke, hovering a tea set over to the filly. "Would you like some?" She smiled.

Nodding quietly, she took a cup with her magic, the Princess pouring her favorite blend of tea for the young filly to sip on. They sat in awkward silence for a few moments. "I heard about Spike's lesson today." The princess began, trying to defuse the tension. "Did you learn anything?" She smiled awkwardly.

"N-no, not really. Well, I learned about dragon magic, but I already knew about that from studying..." She spoke. It had been like this since their very first lesson, and to be honest, Celestia had an inking suspicion that the Princess didn't really talk with ponies a whole lot, or at least not on a casual level. "Princess-"

"Just Twilight, please." The Alicorn beamed a little too excitedly.

"Okayyy... Um, Twilight, do you... I mean, do you ever-" she paused, trying to find the right words.

"Yes, what is it, Celestia?" Again, she smiled over-enthusiastically.

"Well, do you ever... Hang out with your friends?" The filly winced, dreading the answer.

"I, well, I don't uh..." The Princess stammered. "I mean, what really are friends? Heh heh..." She chuckled nervously. Seeing the filly was dead serious, the mare sighed. "Well, to be honest, I haven't had a good friend in close to a thousand years. I mean, i have Spike, but even he is only two hundred and fifty, so that has only been recent."

"But 250 is a huge time to make friends with him!" Celestia exclaimed.

The Alicorn giggled. "I suppose so, my little pony! Though, to be honest, he's more like... My little brother." She explained.

"I guess that makes sense. So, what am I doing today?" She decided to change the subject for now.

"Well, A little bird told me that today is your birthday, so how about you decide?" She smiled.

"Wow, you have animal friends too?" Suddenly, she realized there was still a phoenix sitting on her shoulder. "Hey, was it you, Philomena?" She glared at the small chick only for it to blush and nod. "You traitor!" The filly harumphed, crossing her forelegs in defeat. Celestia wanted to keep it a secret; her memories were never happy ones when it came to her birthday.

"Please, don't be mad at her, Celestia. I just wanted to get you a present, and a lesson of your choice seemed like the right call!" She explained. "Forgive me?" Twilight smiled.

Looking up at the princess, she couldn't resist, despite the fact the gift she was given was horrible. "*sigh* Fine!"

"Yes!" She pumped her hoof in the air, before regaining composure. "I mean, thank you."

"You're really silly, Princess!" The filly giggled.

"I suppose I am." She chuckled. "So, do you know what you want to learn today?"

"Hmm..." She gave it some thought. Most of their lessons were almost always straight out of the curriculum, much to her dislike. Looking at the spellbooks could be fun, she thought for a moment, before a painful memory surfaced of her trying one of the spells in Twilight's study and ending up almost destroying the entire palace. Looking around for ideas, she finally spotted a good lesson to learn, or in her case, teach. "I have an idea, Princess!"

"Oh good! What did you want to learn?" Twilight asked.

Pretending to think hard, she blurted out what they should do. "I want to learn how a Princess makes friends!" She beamed in her feign childlike expression.

"...what?" The Princess looked genuinely surprised. No magic lessons? No pouring over books? "O-of course!" She smiled nervously. Those are the only two things I know!

Standing up, the Princess made her way to the door leading outside the palace, when she was stopped by her student. "I have a better idea, Twilight! How about you teleport us?" Celestia trotted over to the balcony, dragging the Princess by the hoof. "Well, what are we waiting for?!" She exclaimed, waiting for the spell. She always got excited seeing Twilight's magic in action, after all.

Moving instead to the balcony, she lit up her horn. "Hold tight, Celestia. It's been a while since I used anything like this." In fact, aside from raising the sun and the moon, the princess rarely used any of her power for anything really. The occasional letter was sent using it, but aside from that only mundane spells like levitation were ever used. The filly clutched tight to her forehoof, and Twilight concentrated on the best place to start this "lesson".

With a brief flash and crackle in the air, the pair vanished. Suddenly, a knocking came on the chamber door moments later. "Your Highness? Is everything alright? I heard some noise." Flash Sentry waited for a response. When none came, he announced he was coming in. Turning the handle on the door, prepared for anything, the guard swiftly pushed it open, only to be met with an empty room.

Looking around, nothing seemed to be out of place, save for the tea still warm and the open window. Wait... Alarm suddenly filled him, as he connected the dots. Still warm tea, an open balcony, no signs of struggle... She must have been foalnapped! "Sweet Stars, I'm fired..."


Bright Star, Twilight's secretary, was currently sitting in her office, pouring through several petitions and requests addressed to the princess. Most were mundane tasks that could have been taken to the local guard post rather than bother her with it. Grabbing a pencil from behind her ear, she began to sift through the mundane ones, her frazzled jet black mane becoming even more so as she read on. With every press of the pencil to paper, the poor writing utensil was subjected to more and more pressure as she read on:

"Missing cat, not worth day court." check.

"Timberwolves near Ponyville again? Ugh, it's Ponyville, so obviously!" Check.

"Help me find my dentures, I lost them in my bathroom... SERIOUSLY?!" CHECK. The tip of the pencil splintered, an annoyed grunt coming from Bright.

Suddenly, a ripple in the air formed, the shockwave knocking the plum colored mare out of her seat. After straightening her glasses and dusting off her coat, the pony sat up only to find herself face to face with her boss. "P-Princess! I, I didn't expect your arrival here!" She hastily bowed.

"It's okay, Bright Star." She smiled, looking around. Her secretary's undersized office wasn't what she was aiming for, but it would have to suffice. "To be honest, I didn't see myself appearing here so suddenly either. I was aiming for the front gates." She was definitely out of practice. Bright Star's office was more towards the barracks on the east wing; The gates were practically in the other direction.

"O-oh, um, okay. While you're here, can you please tell the guards to stop sending me all THIS-" she gestured to the piles upon piles of literal first world problems currently sitting on her desk.

"No problem is too big or too small, Bright Star. I thought your grandmother would have taught you that by now." She lectured the pony.

She rolled her eyes."Granny Starlight is senile with her old age, and threatens to take my cutie mark away every time I visit her in Ponyville. The only thing she's taught me is how to make checklists, and then checklists for my checklists. I blame you for that, by the way!" Suddenly, the mare noticed who was shyly clinging to the princess' hoof. "Um, not to alarm you, but there's a filly stuck to your leg..." She pointed at Celestia.

"Yes, she's my pupil." She moved her hoof so Bright Star could take a better look, much to the dismay of the suddenly very shy unicorn. "It's okay, Celestia. Bright Star is one of my friends and royal advisors." She smiled down at the filly. "Go on, introduce yourself."

"Mm-mm!" She shook her head; Something didn't seem...right to her every time she looked at Bright Star. She nudged Twilight to come closer to her. "She scares me. She makes me feel like Dean Quill does..." The filly whispered.

"That makes sense." The princess smiled.

"It does?!"

Twilight nodded. "Yes, it does. Miss Star is Dean Silver Quill's little sister."

"That's right, that brute is my brother." She tilted her head curiously at the Alicorn, only to receive a look that said "she's scared, cheer her up."

"Buut unlike him, I'm actually not a stick in the mud!" She rummaged around for something, cursing that she still wished she had her horn. "Now where did you- Aha!" Bright moved a stack of documents piled to the ceiling from her buried desk and pulled out a slip of paper. "I could use a break, so how about we all go out on the town for some ice cream from the local Donut Joe's?" Celestia's eyes brightened up like any filly would at the mention of Donut Joe's famous sweets. To be honest, Bright Star wasn't too sure how good the coupon was, but it was worth the distraction from the literal mountains of paperwork surrounding her.

Suddenly, a familiar guard came barreling through her office, knocking over a pile of papers and burying Twilight and Celestia underneath. "S-star, Princess...hah...missing...*Cough*"

"Slow down, Flash! Take a deep breath. Like your training in the Crystal Empire, remember?" Doing as told, he sucked in a deep breath, clutching his hoof to his chest, then exhaled slowly, moving his hoof away. It was a technique general Shining Armor made mandatory close to 900 years ago, back when he was still alive.

Thoroughly calmed down, Flash Sentry began to explain. "The Princess has been foalnapped! I didn't hear anything coming from her room, so I went in. What I found was the window open and no traces of the foalnappers."

"O-okay, then..." She glanced to the pile of papers Flash knocked over when he came bursting through her office in a hurry. "Anything else that makes you think it was a foalnapping? Maybe she went out for a stroll."

He nodded. "Her tea was still warm, and you know how she gets with her tea!" He chuckled. Glancing out of the corner of her eye, Star saw the pile of papers levitated in a familiar pink glow. Just as she was about to tell Flash to look behind him, she was shushed. Twilight wanted to see where this was going, it seemed.

"Listen, you might not want to-"

"And her schedule is a nightmare! I mean, every 5 minutes, there's another thing she needs escorted to. I swear, sometimes she does it on purpose!" He snorted in annoyance.

"That or a completely other reason, like that flank of yours..." She mumbled.

"What was that?"

"N-nothing! Anyways, I would love to help but I don't think it'll be necessary." Star had enough. Sighing, the unicorn pointed behind him to a very stern looking Princess.

"P-Princess Twilight!" Flash Sentry haphazardly saluted, trying to straighten out his uniform as he did so. "What brings you here?" He nervously chuckled.

Twilight simply raised an eyebrow. "What was this about my being foalnapped?"

"O-oh nothing, really! Just a harmless prank the guards pulled on me, heh heh..."

"And my tea?" She changed her tone to sound hurt, looking to toy with him a little bit further. "What's wrong with a little Chamomile?"

"O-oh nothing, per say... Just an... Odd choice, most ponies drink regular coffee nowadays." Good, he was out of the doghouse, he thought.

"What of my schedules, then?" She batted her eyelashes, playing dumb again. "Too much to handle?"

"N-no! I mean, yes, but n-not in a bad way!" He blushed.

"Hmm. Well," sbe stood out of the piles of papers regally, addressing the guard in an official manner. "I do believe he deserves something. What do you think, Celestia?" She stared down at her pupil.

Honestly, Celestia didn't know what was going on, until the Princess winked at her. "Ohhhhhhhh! Yeah, he sure does!" She giggled.

"Ahem, Flash Sentry," Twilight spoke in an authoritative voice. "For improper protocol when diagnosing a potential threat, you are hereby subjected to..." She paused for dramatic effect. "Keeping us company while we get donuts." She smiled.

"Yes ma'am! Wait, what?"

"You heard her, Mister Sentry! You need to, um, eggsort us!" Celestia smirked up at Flash.

"I think you mean 'escort', Celestia." Bright Star giggled.

"Yeah! Escort!" The filly beamed.

"O-okay, I think I can do that..." He stared at the princess apprehensively. "But I'm still not sure this is much of a punishment."

"Nonsense! It's not like we're just going to Donut Joe's! In fact," she gave him a knowing smirk, dread immediately filling Flash's eyes.

"No! No, anything but that, please!" He pleaded.

Her smile grew even wider. "I think it's time I go dress shopping."

This was already turning into quite the adventure for the young filly, and Celestia hasn't even got her present yet!

Best. Birthday. Ever!

Author's Note:

Foreshadowing in the future, perhaps? Yes, but you'll have to wait for the sequel ;). Don't worry, she only has all of her school years to go through :derpytongue2:

Also, I'm not sure I'm cut out for the whole 10k chapters thing, so I'll try to shoot for around 3 to 5 thousand instead. Sorry!

P.S.S. I'm sorry about the long wait, so to make up for it, I posted this chapter ahead of schedule. Sorry for the wait guys, hope you enjoyed this (sorta) filler chapter!