• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 1,255 Views, 44 Comments

Legacy Of A Hero - CrypticMetaphor



Mary, the daughter of Martin sets out on a quest with her friends to save Equestria and her parents

  • ...
7
 44
 1,255

Chapter 8: Sunshine

The cart was moving at a leisurely pace toward the shining beacon that is The Crystal Empire. Mary and the group were still in awe at the red haired girl’s newfound ability. Trixie’s eyes had a gleam to them when she spotted the bright city in the frozen wasteland that was the tundra.

Dominic noticed this while sat up front with her, “What’s up?”

Trixie just slowly shook her head in amazement, “It’s just…In all of my travels I’ve heard of the empire but never once have I stopped here on my tour. It’s just awe inspiring when you first see it.”

Dominic nodded, “Believe me I know the feeling.”

Trixie looked with surprise at Dominic, “You’ve been here before?”

Dominic made a slight shaky gesture with his hand, “Well sort of, it was more of an official teleport into the main castle.”

Mary stuck her head out of the side window, “Are we there yet?”

Trixie nodded as the cart pulled under the archway. Even to ponies who have visited The Empire, it still drew the eye no matter how many times it was looked upon. The sheen of the buildings gave the empire a warming and welcoming glow. The immensity of the castle at the center was sometimes known to give slight claustrophobia to visitors and the lush green that surrounded everything was a welcoming sight for any who journeyed through the harsh cold that lay upon its boarders. The cart pulled to a slight stop on a hill that bordered the main city and the COH disembarked as Trixie anchored it down.

Mary was now wearing a white t-shirt and black jeans as she glanced around and smiled, “Man, it’s been so long since I was here last.”

Applebloom stood beside her, “Yeah, wasn’t that when mah sis brought us here for The Wonderbolt Derby?”

Mary grinned mischievously as Dom went ridged, “Yeah, Dominic was there too and he got to meet Spitfire if I’m not mistaken.”

Dominic turned around quickly, “OKAY! Let’s go see the sights, who’s up for-“

Applebloom was unhindered as she continued Mary’s story, “Oh right. Dash took him back stage ta meet the team.”

Dominic was sweating a bit, “Coffee who wants to get coffee!”

Mary was grinning as everypony else leaned in to listen, “He was I think, nine at the time. He immediately burst into a flurry of compliments.”

Dominic stopped sweating and was now getting agitated, “Okay you can stop now.”

Mary then sat on a rock nearby, “He then levitated and dropped onto a bench banging his head. And when he woke up-“

Applebloom looked at Mary who was giggling uncontrollably as she finished for the girl with a wide smile, “And Spitfire was bandaging his head. She then kissed his forehead and said, “You’ll go far kid, just work through the pain.”

Mary fell over laughing, “THEN HE FAINTED!”

Dominic was not amused, “Not cool.”

*

After the storytelling atop the hill, the group set out into town. Many ponies have heard of the race known as humans due to the exploits of Martin, Alan, and the late Lupe with the elements of harmony. Many ponies had to adjust to this new race, but some had gotten used to the fact that they were not alone in the universe and adjusted. Though some ponies were more reluctant than others to a human’s presence, things moved forward.

Mary glanced at a kiosk displaying snow globes, “These are really accurate. I love the detail.”

The vendor smiled at the compliment, “Thank you, I take pride in these.”

Dominic approached her, “Hey check this out.”

He held up a bobble head of an overly cartoony looking King Sombra, “Am I stupid?,” he flicked the head as it nodded yes continuously, “Why yes, yes I am.”

Nearby crystal ponies chuckled and laughed. Mary took the bobble head and gazed at the painted wood. Her eyes narrowed at the thing. Dominic took it back slowly as he turned toward the castle. Both humans stood under the massive structure and gazed at the object they had sought to see since their first arrival. The crystal heart glowed softly before them as both humans stared at the gem in fascination.

Dominic blinked, “I’ve heard all these things about the heart. I mean it’s like meeting a celebrity in person.”

Mary nodded, “Fast, unexpected, awkward, and really cool.”

Dominic reached out to touch it…and was sent hurtling into a pillar by an electric discharge that erupted from the gem.

Mary was surprised and at the same time shook her head. Mary had a suspicion that a failsafe would be put on the thing so a thief couldn’t steal it.

Dominic walked over to her mildly annoyed, “You could have said something.”

Mary shrugged, “Looked like you were having fun.”

The sound of a throat being cleared was heard as both humans turned to see two guards glaring at them. One gestured for the two to follow. Dominic and Mary followed close by and were slightly nervous about what was going on. The passed into the entrance hall and up a few flights of stairs until they reached the throne room. The throne was currently vacant as the guards left the room. Mary walked to the balcony and gazed out over the city.

Mary leaned on the banister and sighed as Dominic was busy sitting in the throne acting like a king, “Man, this view is amazing.”

“Yes it is isn’t it?”

Mary turned around and was immediately all smiles. Princess Cadence of The Crystal Empire hadn’t changed much in the passing years, she was a few inches taller but maintained the appearance she had all through the years of her rule. Both Princess and human walked toward each other and hugged.

Cadence backed up and smiled, “Wow, you’ve changed a lot.”

Mary mock threw back her hair, “Yeah, I’m not the same six year old you used to let sit with you on your throne while daddy talked business.”

Both shared a laugh. Dominic stood before Shining Armor who was measuring him up.

Shining Armor then smirked, “So, you reconsider my offer yet?”

Dominic nodded, “Yeah, I’ve been trying to look up more words that mean no.”

Mary sighed, “There at it again, when will Shining stop asking him.”

Cadence chuckled, “He tends to be stubborn when he sets his mind to something concerning safety protocols.”

Mary raised her arms to stretch, “Yeah, but to offer Dom an internship as a guard. He’ll never go for it.”

Cadence stood beside Mary, “I still don’t know why he keeps refusing. Both his and your fathers were knighted and being a royal guard has benefits.”

Mary nodded, “Yeah but look at it from his stand point, a bunch of work? He’ll run screaming for the hills if you so much as mention the words application form.”

Cadence then took on a more serious and understanding expression, “I heard the news of what happened to your parents and I am as worried as you are for their safety.”

Mary nodded, “Yeah, I assume you already know why we were passing through then?”

Cadence nodded as well, “Rooms have been prepared to accommodate your needs should you wish to stay.”

Mary turned toward Dom who was now idly chatting with Shining, “Hey Dom, you want to chill here for the night?”

Dominic thought for a moment, “I could do for an actual bed again and a warm bath.”

Cadence lit up with joy, “Then it’s decided! Come on I’ll show you around.”

Word reached the remaining members of the group as they too ventured to the castle. Trixie was more than happy for some crystal hospitality.

*

The Black King stood from his throne and swiftly walked past the cage, “It seems the time has come. You want something done right, you do it yourself.”

Martin pushed against the cage, “Don’t you dare touch my daughter; she has nothing to do with this!”

The Black King pointed at him angrily, “You don’t get it do you?! My vengeance is with these blasted ponies and all who ally with them, you and your spawn are just a means to an end as far as I’m concerned.”

Alan then stated, “Then why?”

The Black King cackled, “Because it will be all the more satisfying when I take the thing they love most from them, just as they did to me.”

Twilight perked up, “Who are you!”

The Black King’s eyes narrowed, “Someone looking to take back what was his.”