• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 1,255 Views, 44 Comments

Legacy Of A Hero - CrypticMetaphor



Mary, the daughter of Martin sets out on a quest with her friends to save Equestria and her parents

  • ...
7
 44
 1,255

Chapter 2: Meet The Family

Mary and The COH crested the top of the hill and looked down at the decorated field for the reunion. They all noticed that a majority of the apple family had already arrived and were already getting ready for the festivities. Mary turned to her friends and beckoned for them to follow to which they complied. Mary walked past several familiar faces and smiled at each one as they welcomed and greeted her.

Mary turned her head and saw her Uncle Big Macintosh approaching, “Hi Uncle Mac, everything’s going good?”

Big Mac nodded, “Eeyup.”

Mary nodded, “Great. Is Granny Smith awake?”

Big Mac shook his head, “Nnope.”

Dominic mumbled under his breath, “Figures.”

Mary elbowed him in the ribs causing him to grunt as Mary bid her uncle a fair well and journeyed through the festivities. Scootaloo and Dominic were bored as they followed Mary around. The Apple Family considered him and his father part of the family when it came to the reunion and they would always attend, whether they liked it or not.

Scootaloo whispered to Dominic, “Hey Dom, me and the girls have been working on something cool.”

Dominic was intrigued, “On a scale from one to stupendous, what are we looking at here?”

Scootaloo grinned, “A fourteen.”

Dominic was now VERY interested, “Show me.”

Dominic the turned to Mary, “Hey Mary, me and Scoots are going to do something quickly be right back.”

Mary was slightly confused, “I’m going to ask what?”

Dominic smiled, “Something awesome.”

Mary and the rest of the group looked at each other, “Riiight.”

Dom and Scoots ran off immediately afterwards and vanished from sight leaving all four of them immensely confused. Mary then continued onwards and continued to bid each of her family member’s hellos. She later sat down and exhaled as the rest of the group went off to assist in the preparations.

“Heya Mary!”

Mary’s eyes snapped open and she was staring at the smiling face of her Uncle Braeburn, “Hi Uncle Braeburn.”

Braeburn waited for her stand as he walked over to her side and both of them started walking, “So how has mah favorite niece been doin?”

Mary looked to the horizon, “Pretty good.”

Braeburn looked Mary up and down, “Wow, I was right when ah said you would be as tall as yer pa.”

Mary blushed in embarrassment and changed the subject, “How’s Appleloosa doing?”

Braeburn’s face lit up, “It’s going great! We’ve already expanded further into the adjacent land and were flourishing.”

Mary nodded as they both sat down at the large dining table, “Really? Is there any land dispute problems with the buffalo because of it?”

Braeburn tilted his front hoof slightly, “We had a few hiccups, but nothin we couldn’t resolve.”

Mary gave a small smile, “That’s good to hear.”

“Braeburn you’re not bothering my daughter are you?”

Martin landed behind Braeburn which caused the pony to jump slightly and chuckled, “Naw, just talking about some stuff.”

Martin and Applejack sat at the table along with the rest of the six. The rest of the six had grown taller in height and their manes were either longer or styled in a way that made them look different. Twilight wore her mane as she always had except it seemed more neatly trimmed then normal and she had indigo framed reading glasses hanging from around her neck by a silver necklace. She didn’t need to wear them to read, she said it helps her focus when she wears them. Rarity’s only change was that her mane and tail had more curls in them and were styled to complement each other and the mare in question. Fluttershy had trimmed her mane and tail to a decent length and weaved green leaf like adornments into it which complemented her overall appearance perfectly. Pinkie Pie looked same in terms of mane and tail, but to some they seemed to be puffier. Rainbow Dash’s only defining change was that her mane and tail were slightly longer and a bit spikier. Applejack maintained her usual style and the only difference were mane and tail length.

Rarity looked at Mary from her seat, “My, my Mary you’ve grown since last I saw you.”

Mary looked to the side, “I only grew a few extra inches in the summer.”

Rarity nodded, “I know darling, but now I have to take new measurements for the clothes I’m making you,” she then jokingly stated, “Stop growing so fast.”

Pinkie Pie giggled at the comment, “But Rarity if she stops growing she’ll be that height forever.”

Applejack grinned slightly, “Ah wouldn’t mind, that way she’d be mah little blossom forever.”

Mary buried her head in her arms and whined in embarrassment at her nickname, “Mooom.”

Martin placed a hand on her shoulder, “Where’s Dominic?”

Rainbow smiled, “Probably off doing some shenanigans.”

Alan glanced sideways at his wife, “Who even says that anymore.”

Fluttershy looked at Dash, “I hope he isn’t doing anything dangerous.”

Twilight nodded, “Remember what happened when he, Scootaloo and Spike agitated that falcon?”

Everypony at the table shivered in unison.

*

Dominic stood with Scootaloo as she pulled a white sheet away from a large object it was shielding, “Is that?”

Scootaloo nodded as she gestured to the object, “Fillies and gentlecoats, allow me to introduce the crusader trebuchet!”

Dominic walked around it, “Wow, this is so cool!”

Scootaloo shrugged, “I suggested we build a catapult but Applebloom said it wouldn’t be safe, so we settled with this.”

Dominic walked around the siege weapon, “Does it work?”

Scootaloo nodded with a smug expression, “Of course it does! We’ve been launching small objects at the Everfree forest for laughs but nothing else.”

Dominic scratched his chin, “Hmmmm, lets launch ourselves back to the reunion. Surprise the heck out of everypony.”

Scootaloo smiled mischievously, “Oh this is going to be AWESOME!”

*

The reunion had begun and was in full swing. The food had been eaten and now the family events were underway. Martin and Fluttershy were currently the only remaining contestants locked in a staring contest. Martin’s eyes were flinching as Fluttershy’s gaze bore into his, but true to his nature he did not yield. Mary was cheering her dad on as Martin and Fluttershy stood up and continued locking gazes with one and other. The intensity was broken by a loud snapping sound and two screams from the sky. All eyes turned as Dominic and Scootaloo crashed through the roof of an old and falling apart barn and decimated it.

Rainbow Dash and Alan both smiled, “That’s our boy!”

Both pony and human emerged from the rubble as Dominic in embarrassment rubbed the back of his head, “Sorry we’re late, and did we miss the cake and ice cream?”

Pinkie Pie smiled, “Nope, you’re just in time.”

Dominic smiled, “Sweet!”

The rest of the Apple family stared at the two who soon slinked away. Mary sat down with the rest of the family and friends as they chatted about times past. Mary however stayed silent as she stared at all the smiling faces and looked at the sky. The world of Equestria was always beautiful and peaceful, but she always had this heavy sensation in her stomach when she came to the mystical land. It had always been there, gnawing at her being and making her uncomfortable. She never paid it much mind, but nowadays she took notice of its presence and hated the feeling. It felt strong yet faint, she thought it might either be anxiety or perhaps…shame. She snapped out of her trance when her Aunt Apple Fritter asked her a question she didn’t hear.

Mary turned her head, “Huh?”

Apple Fritter smiled, “Ah asked if you have any of your abilities yet.”

Dominic laughed, “Yeah, are you done making faces at yourself in the mirror in an attempt to make it break?”

Mary looked to the side as Rainbow fixed her son with a glare, “What?”

Mary shook her head, “Not yet…”

Apple Fritter patted her niece on the back, “Don’t worry about it.”

Applejack smiled, “Yeah, yer probably just a late bloomer.”

Mary muttered under her breath, “Or I’m a freak.”

Martin tilted his head, “What?”

Mary shook her head, “Nothing. Excuse me I’m going for a walk.”

Mary got up from the table and zoomed off as all eyes fixed on Dominic who was exasperated at the attention, “WHAT?!”

Length apologies, I'm going to try and take this one slow so length's may vary. Forgive me!: