• Published 18th May 2019
  • 1,242 Views, 7 Comments

The Timepony’s Journal - Penny_Shavins109



The Doctor is in trouble and it’s up to Twilight to help. Instructions on what to do are written in his Diary, but the text scrambles itself to hide it’s secrets. So with no other clear options, she decides to read from page one.

  • ...
1
 7
 1,242

Chapter 30 - Volcano Day

Twilight Sparkle did her best to maintain a steady flight in the TARDIS. She’d only piloted it a handful of times but she was slowly finding her rhythm, all those strange controls making sense to her. It only took a few minutes but the trip felt like an eternity. She was on the planet Provia again, decades before she last landed here. It was supposed to be safe, a peaceful Equestrian civilization expanding from its colonization roots. The image of the Dalek ready to fire was burned into her mind, the wound still fresh.

Outside those doors was the capital city Titanius, the largest city in all of Provia. She had traced the origins of the famine and disease back to this point. The streets were still clean and silver spires pierced the sky. With the warm orange glow of the afternoon sun, everything seemed happy and fine. She wore a thin jacket to conceal her wings, being an alicorn in a normal public setting would certainly make her stand out. Looking around she could see banners and screens displaying the planet’s 200th anniversary since colonisation.

She wondered if this was how the Doctor often felt, walking on worlds in their days of glory despite knowing their destruction. Continuing through town something caught her eye. Far from the city centre was a megaplex, a hospital as large as Ponyville and tall enough to even reach Cloudsdale. Their logo was a large ornate clock set to 4 o’clock, the name Hope Haven spread across in deep green letters. If it was the source of a disease she wanted then a hospital was the best bet. She shivered as she entered the lobby, recognizing it from her last visit. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea after all.

All of the large flatscreens in the lobby suddenly switched to the same channel, displaying the same announcement. It was an old satellite, even for her time. The first probe sent out beyond their own solar system. She’d remembered it from when she was a foal, seeing the rocket fly past the clouds from her home in Canterlot.

“Amazing, isn’t it? Just in time for our anniversary too! A relic of our Equestrian heritage.”

Twilight jumped a little, not noticing the mare next to her.

“Oh, sorry about that. My name’s Daisy, pleasure to meet you.”

Twilight shook her hoof kindly. She did her best to smile, but that sinking feeling still remained in the pit of her stomach.

“Is there anything I can help you with? I’m just an assistant nurse but I can still do a rudimentary checkup” Daisy asked.

“Oh no, no, I’m not sick. I’m just a bit lost around here. This city is absolutely beautiful, how were you able to build something so large?”

“It’s a newish sort of building technique, lattice something I think? My grandmare could probably tell you more about it, you can learn more about that at the Borealis Library. Did you come here for the festival?”

Twilight’s eyes twinkled with glee until she remembered her mission. She didn’t have the time to continue sightseeing, not when it might be this city’s volcano day.

“Uhm, yes. Where can I go to learn more about that space probe? I heard that there was a ceremony of some kind?”

“Yes, just south of Delta Square. The old space center has a large visitors lounge where they’re broadcasting the satellite being opened. Go down Custard Street, take a left on Igneous Drive and it should be on the right. Here’s my map, just in case you get lost.”

“Thank you so much, you’ve been very helpful.”

Twilight didn’t want to look back, but she did anyway. She waved goodbye, seeing Daisy smiling and returning to assist others stung like poison. She’d read about the smallest actions having large consequences in novels, maybe having Daisy’s map could save her somehow. It was unlikely, but the hope helped her cope. Following Daisy’s directions she approached the Provian Space Center’s visitor facility.

Something about the satellite just felt off. The perfect timing with the 200th anniversary celebration, the chances of it even reaching a pony inhabited colony, it all felt too coincidental and calculated. She wasn’t certain of where Provia was relative to Equestria but she was certain that it wasn’t in drifting distance. She’d calculated its path hundreds of times as a foal, it reinvigorated her love of science alongside magic. Her parents took her to the highest tower in Canterlot they could get into just to see the rockets flying beyond the clouds and into the stars.

Knowing what the Daleks were going to do to this planet in its future, this had to be their doing. Why would the Daleks do such a thing? They may be ruthless and evil but they never killed without a purpose. She’d never forgotten her goal to rescue the Doctor, but that was more complicated than she initially realized. There were so many different moving pieces that were undoubtedly connected. The Doctor was obviously on Provia, but getting to the right point in time was an issue.

Upon approaching the visitor area she immediately saw the large paparazzi. She couldn’t fully see through but she knew there was a stallion standing up by a podium, wearing a sparkly silver suit. He was giving the opening speech for the ceremony, the Head of the Provian Space Research Center as the large screens behind him displayed.

“I’m delighted to announce the return of an old artefact of our early exploration age. We’re currently preparing to open the capsule to observe its contents. It’s said that recordings of real ponies of Old Equestria were transmitted across the stars, calling out to find civilised planets. One word, transmitted in every language of Old Equestria, a simple Hello. We’re proud to present you again, returning from its two century journey, the Luna I Space Probe.”

The image on the screens changed to a sterile white environment, several scientists in suits and rubber gloves surrounding the capsule. Observing closely Twilight could see a strange symbol faintly burnt into part of the metal. It was like an eye being pierced by a lightning bolt, the bolted panel looking less corroded than the rest of the probe. She recognized it from somewhere before, something in the back of her mind. She felt an instinctive sense of fear upon seeing it, already galloping down the street. She bolted around corners and alleyways towards where she thought the TARDIS was.

The same broadcast was being displayed on nearly every screen in the city, everypony watching in awe. For a second she stopped to catch her breath, panting as her heart felt as if it was in her throat. Suddenly she was thrown back by some kind of explosion, her ears ringing. Glass rained down as thousands of windows shattered from the blast. Coughing as she got up, Twilight shielded her eyes from the light on the horizon. It was a tall plume of smoke bigger than anything she’d ever seen.

Ash began to rain from above while the smoke spread across the entire sky, blotting out the sun. She didn’t know how much longer she could survive here as the city grew colder. So many ponies, so many lives, snuffed out in seconds. She turned her head as a melted steel beam fell to the ground, shattering the concrete and revealing the TARDIS. The light of the police barn’s lamp beckoned to her, calling to come closer. She wasn’t sure if it rematerialized to save her life or if she was just that lucky.

She didn’t question further as she pushed past those blue doors and slammed them shut behind her. She slid down onto the floor, her back still against the doors of the police barn. She let out a deep sigh of relief, not sure what to do now. Twilight silently picked herself up and carried on to the console, not daring to look at the scanner. She slowly dematerialized the TARDIS, setting the ship adrift in the vortex and leaving the ruins of the Provian Capital behind. Moving down the old corridors she arrived at her old room again, something about those white roundeled walls calming her nerves.

Upon lying in bed she began to cry, feeling so alone. Now she knew why the Doctor never travelled alone for long. Twilight was supposed to be an Alicorn, a princess like Celestia and Luna. She felt that she was supposed to be strong, confident and powerful, everything her mentor was. How did Celestia and Luna ever face things like this, complete and total destruction. They didn’t do it alone, and maybe she didn’t have to either.

She knew that there was one mare who could help her, who understood what she was going through. Radiance had her TARDIS, and she was a Timepony after all, Timemare? It didn’t matter, but she should be able to find her somehow. Nothing was stopping her except herself. Twilight let go of the bed covers, not even realising how tightly she was clutching them. Taking a deep breath she got up, returning back to the console room.

She didn’t fully understand what she was doing, but she had a feeling that the TARDIS was guiding her to where and when she needed to be. Upon opening the doors she found herself in some kind of hanger. Several different ships were parked all around her, all of them white and gold with a Red Cross logo on the side. A hospital in space, and a large one at that. Twilight knew that Radiance was around here somewhere but she didn’t know why. To be fair, she wasn’t in the best state of mind the last time she saw her.

That look of fear in her eyes as she ran to her TARDIS and abandoned her, it didn’t seem like her to do such a thing. Then again she had no idea what Radiance was supposed to be like. She had amnesia so maybe she was here for medical assistance. Any medical facilities in Equestria probably wouldn’t be able to care for her anyway. Hearing frantic hoofsteps, Twilight hid behind one of steel pillars while readying a shield spell. A heavily bandaged gray mare covered in changing pink and purple spots stopped to catch her breath.

Twilight nearly jumped twenty feet when she saw her, bandaged and weak. Yet somehow despite her current state she was still stronger than she last saw her. Radiance smiled, clutching her chest in pain as she fell over. Twilight caught her with her magic, the lavender aura helping Radiance to stand. She chuckled and smiled before looking back up at Twilight, more than happy to see her again.

“Heh, hello again Twilight. Sorry we couldn’t meet under better circumstances. It’s nice to meet you again.”

Radiance quickly passed out, hoof outstretched towards one of the ambulances. Carrying her inside of it was a pink gazebo, her TARDIS. Somehow Twilight felt a strange sense of glee and nervousness. As she pulled back the pink curtained door Twilight felt as if she was entering a TARDIS for the first time all over again. Those golden roundels and light pink glow surrounding the console felt homely.

It smelled faintly of roses, Twilight finally at ease since leaving for Provia. Laying Radiance down in a nearby chair she observed the sleeker gold lined console. It reminded her of the old TARDIS, the mint green console and bright roundels from all those years ago. Somehow she couldn’t understand the various flashing controls, as if it were a completely different machine. She had no control over this TARDIS, she didn’t fully belong here.

“Do you like it? It’s older than the Doctor’s, but it’s mine.”

Turning around Twilight saw Radiance standing, perfectly healthy and stabilized. Her coat was grey again, but her mane had new streaks of purple in it. Radiance approached the console and flicked the door switch. The large thick doors whirred as they closed behind her, Radiance turning to face Twilight behind her.

“Welcome to the Tardis, Twilight. My Tardis.”