• Published 18th May 2019
  • 1,242 Views, 7 Comments

The Timepony’s Journal - Penny_Shavins109



The Doctor is in trouble and it’s up to Twilight to help. Instructions on what to do are written in his Diary, but the text scrambles itself to hide it’s secrets. So with no other clear options, she decides to read from page one.

  • ...
1
 7
 1,242

Chapter 29 - Journey’s End

The Doctor looked over at his instrument in his sideroom workshop. He’d finished processing and altering the tapes and was now hoping to convert it all into a viewable format. It’d be nice to view certain places instead of getting themselves enthralled in their danger for once. He held a good chunk of recorded and photographed Equestrian history in his hooves which he’d started to set up to view mere moments ago. He picked his journal up off an ornate chest, many of its pages still blank and barren. It made him sad to reminisce on old times, but it was starting to become harder to remember certain events. Not all of his adventures were there, but he’d started to write more and more as he began to grow weary from old age. How long had it been since he’d started travelling with Berry and Spark. One year, two? From ancient Equestrian rituals to planets with non-equine creatures, where had all that time gone?

“So…is everything set and ready, Doctor?” Spark asked with a tinge of guilt.

“Yes, yes. Some tests need to be done, but we’re ready for our departure.”

The console room was more cold and solemn than it had ever been before. The glass cylinder drifted up and down gracefully, the hexagonal light fixture illuminating the console. Berry was busy sitting in a chair, looking up at the slightly yellowed and dusty roundels in the wall. Free was on the other side of the console, doing her best to help but equally as quiet. For a time the four of them were a family, and nothing would be the same once they landed. An ornate wooden clock ticked away in the background, some of the only sound in the room. The console made an odd noise, a device he’d completely forgotten about finally operating. He’d installed it into the console when he first started travelling, indicating if any time vessels in the vortex were on the same time-space path as he was.

“Free, could you please read out the numerals on the flux network over there? It should be just to your left.”

The Doctor moved across the console, trying to hide his distress. Time ponies were the last thing he wanted to deal with now. Free looked down at the readout in confusion, trying to make it out.

“It says undefined, is it important?”

The Doctor started to panic even more internally. Every TARDIS had a designated serial code, and no known races had ever developed anything close to the TARDIS to the Doctor’s knowledge. A red light on the console lit up as everything began to shake. The Doctor and Free clung to the console while attempting to regain control.

“We’re being followed. By whom or what, I haven’t the faintest idea.”

Another quieter alert sounded, indicating an incoming transmission. The Doctor once again shifted from one control to the next, multitasking until he reached the button to accept the call. His blood ran cold as he heard the message play out. It was always them, wasn’t it? Why was it always them?

“Land your craft immediately or you will be annihilated. Surrender or be exterminated.”

Their robotic voices echoed across the room, striking fear with the realisation that the Daleks had the power of time and space travel. They couldn’t run or hide from the Daleks, they couldn’t even go home. The Doctor looked up at Berry and Spark, sharing a knowing glance as the Doctor rapidly changed course. They fled past 963, further into the past. The console started to smoke as the Dalek time ship continued to fire. Finally the wheezing and groaning stopped, the glass rotor descending one last time. Taking a deep breath, the Doctor began to inspect the damage to the TARDIS’s main systems.

“Be honest with us, how much trouble are we in?” Berry asked.

“Welll… the Daleks know exactly when and where we are. However I was able to give our course a slight nudge so we’re still ahead. In around 12 minutes the Daleks will arrive. Could you please read the Yearometer, Free? It should be next to your right.”

Free pulled herself off of the floor and wiped some stray hairs from her face.

“The year 980 of the 1st Diarchy Era. Is it safe to go out there?”

The Doctor rubbed his chin in thought before looking back up again. They were in the most dangerous period of Equestrian history, where war raged and the battlefields spread across the globe. They were in great danger simply by being here, but so were the Daleks.

“Perhaps… we can make use of our current location. It’s certainly unsafe for us, but this could be our greatest weapon. Fight the Daleks with history, sheer poetry.”

The Doctor paused before looking back down at the console. He realised that was rambling on as if it was business as usual. Spark trotted over, sighing as he put his hoof on the Doctor’s shoulder.

“I guess we won’t be leaving quietly then. One last hoorah before we go?”

The Doctor looked up at him and grinned , seeing Berry with her kind smile alongside him. Free nervously approached, giving the three of them a hug. If there was anything he’d miss the most, it’d be this. He didn’t want to let them go, but he had to. There was work to be done. He quickly looked over the instruments of the TARDIS console, not many of them making sense. It was complete chaos outside, and he knew what was waiting past those doors.

He flicked the door switch, the large double doors whirred as they opened and revealed the absurd landscape ahead of them. The hills were a mess of pink and purple checkerboards, the sky filled with cotton candy clouds and gravity defying architecture. None of them dared to venture out far from the TARDIS in fear of anything from inverted gravity to being crushed by gigantic pies. They had very little time to act.

The Doctor fished a couple of coins out of his pocket and tossed them in the air. A few of them landed naturally, but at a certain distance they started floating in the air. Both he and Berry looked up as the coins floated away.

“There goes five bits. They were well spent.” Berry said flatly.

“Very funny, but we do have an advantage over the Daleks if we can lure them here. Unfortunately there’s no telling if they’ve genuinely arrived ahead of us or if my estimate is correct. I assume that if their craft is similar to my own that’s how long it’d take for them to correct their course.”

Berry picked up a rock and tossed it into the field, though it didn’t float up in the same place as before. It was a constantly shifting minefield of gravity pockets, floating anything within it to the sky. The Daleks would either capture him or shoot him on site, he wasn’t sure how much the Daleks hated him after his previous encounters. But his companions were in real danger here, and even a group of Daleks could bring the entirety of Canterlot to its knees. The Doctor and Berry turned their heads in the direction of Free, hearing her calling out to them.

“Spark told me that the Daleks are weaker when blinded. How’ll a lake of quick-drying chocolate do?”

As they went to the top of the hill they landed next to a large lake of the sweet and half set liquid came into view. The lake constantly shifted from frozen over to boiling hot. It was dangerous for them to touch, but the Daleks would easily recover. Spark grunted as he pushed a gigantic block of peppermint candy to the edge of the cliff. They had an easy vantage point, the cliff hanging over the shifting chocolate lake. If that didn’t stop them, the anti gravity minefields certainly would.

“You know, I think this might just work.” The Doctor said as he chuckled to himself, straightening the lapels of his coat gleefully.


The Dalek Timeship was a large silver cylinder with an indentation for a sliding door. The TARDIS was built to blend in while their ship shared no such qualities. It was bright ,metallic, and quite audible when landing. The door slid open smoothly and eight Daleks glided into the multicoloured plane of madness.

“Locate the enemy time vessel. Exterminate the occupants.” a black domed Dalek commanded.

All of the others let out an equally monotonous “I obey” before separating into groups of two. Spark and Free watched from above on a now floating boulder, camouflaged amongst a cluster of chocolate bubbles. Upon seeing any form of light movement the Daleks quickly blasted, blowing away large chunks of rock wherever they hit. Free slightly slipped while trying to get a better grasp on the boulder, causing a sprinkling of dust to rain downwards. The Daleks looked up, noticing them in a chaotic cluster.

The two Daleks chanted, “Seek. Locate. Exterminate” before blasting the boulder to pieces. Spark quickly grabbed Free, using himself to try and brace her fall. Thankfully for the both of them, Spark landed and burst through one of the chocolate bubbles before hitting the ground. He felt sore all over, but nothing was broken. The Daleks took no time in pointing their guns directly at the two weakened ponies. Spark’s heart was beating in his chest as he looked on in horror with nothing he could do. Only as the block of peppermint crashed into them was he able to breath and bolt for safety.

The Daleks were severely damaged, but not defeated. Even after falling in the chocolate lake they still arose from their tumble to strike again. They were coated almost completely in chocolate, sparking as it seeped into their casings. They constantly yelled “My vision is impaired, I cannot see” while attempting to fire rapidly. Occasionally their wiry guns would fire, creating more smoke and uplifting dirt. Berry and the Doctor just barely managed to push the Daleks into position, watching them scream as they slowly floated away. Nopony had any time to breath as Spark and Free were rushed to the TARDIS.

He quickly made a hasty dematerialisation, fleeing further backwards in time. The Daleks would’ve swarmed around their location and found the ship. There was no telling if they could ever get in, but they would’ve dematerialized either way. Berry tended to Spark’s wounds, dabbing the cuts with a cloth covered in rubbing alcohol. He’d survived, but everything almost went wrong. They were supposed to lure them in by throwing rocks from a distance, yet they were still caught in the action. They’d destroyed two Daleks, but why did it feel like they’d lost? He couldn’t mope now, the best he could do was to help his friends regain their senses.

“How’s the young stallion coming along, eh? Strong as you usually are?” the Doctor asked.

Spark winced as he shifted to look up at him. It pained the both of them for Spark to be in such a state.

“I’m thoroughly battered and bruised, but I’m still alive. Can’t say the same for those Daleks though, good timing by the way.”

“Thank you, though you shouldn’t have been up so high. Oh, I told you that sitting on that boulder was a bad idea.” Berry sighed, putting a cold towel on some of Spark’s bruises.

The Doctor returned to the console again, monitoring for any other time ships in the vortex. Thankfully there was nothing so far, the Daleks were likely still back with Discord’s twisted landscape. He hoped that he could destroy a few Daleks for him, save him some of the trouble. It was unlikely, but one could only hope. The glass column slowed down to a stop again, another successful rematerialization. Unfortunately it seemed that the TARDIS’s navigation systems were under some immense strength. He wasn’t even sure if he could get Berry and Spark home anymore.

“Here we are, year 910 of the First Dynasty. The crystal empire is falling, soon to vanish for a thousand years, give or take a century.”

“The Crystal Empire returns?” Berry asked, giving the Doctor a quizzical look.

Free snickered quietly, looking at the Doctor as he spoiled a little bit of their future history. He quickly changed the subject, looking over the readouts on the console.

“There should be hoards of Sombran Soldiers out there, vastly outnumbering the Daleks.”

“I’d like to see how that turns out.” Spark winced as he chuckled dryly.

“Unfortunately, we have to. We need to be certain that more Daleks are defeated, destroyed for good.”

Spark quickly got up and faced the Doctor, both shocked and angry that he would even suggest such a thing. To put them in danger again after what they’d been through.

“You can’t be serious!”

“Ah, good to see that you’re alright young stallion. Now, come along, come along.”

The Doctor opened the doors again as Spark rolled his eyes. A new wasteland was before them, the Crystal Empire laid waste to the ruins of war. Everything was in shambles, the crystal castle cracked and fractured. Houses laid to waste and the ground beneath them cracked and in ruin. Dark black spires threatened to tear the empire in two, the deep red sky bringing endless blizzards and storms. The Crystal Empire was on its deathbed, but it wasn’t the end just yet.

The Doctor peered around the corner, seeing several soldiers in iron clad suits with red mist clouding their eyes. He gestured for his friends to come slowly, following quietly behind him. They trudged through the back alleys until the Dalek time ship loudly materialised. Several of the soldiers had already taken notice of it, but the Daleks made quick work of them. The Doctor quickly ducked back behind the building he was looking around, somewhat frozen in fear. The others looked at him, trying to figure out what was going on without making a sound. Everypony froze as they heard the Daleks approaching.

They held their breath as it grew nearer and nearer. The Dalek fired, blowing up a nearby trash bin. Berry covered her mouth with one of her hooves, doing her best not to yell in fear. The Dalek turned and continued down the street, searching for them. Finally they let out a deep sigh of relief, yet still remained quiet. They had to keep moving, getting closer to the heart of the empire. Even if the Crystal Heart wasn’t there a battalion of soldiers would be.

It pained them to watch as crystal ponies were carried off in chains, but there was nothing they could do. They couldn’t save any pony here, history had to carry out its course. Berry and Free had to cover their noses and eyes as ashes rained down upon them. It stank of death and decay. It wasn’t long before they reached the center, King Sombra himself looking out upon his kingdom from an upper balcony.

He was worse than the stories, the pure evil of dark magic radiating from the castle. The Doctor could feel it deep inside him, drawing upon his worst impulses. It strained the others even more, continuing to march on despite the immense feeling of dread. Another search party of Daleks patrolled around the base of the castle, appearing as if they were more empowered than before. Whatever effect Sombra’s spells and crystals had here only provided them with more power than before.

If the odds weren’t against them already, King Sombra approached them from behind. He smirked at them as they fired, their lasers shooting right back into their gun sticks. He coldly cleared his throat before addressing them.

“Now then, you don't need to make such a fuss. You dare come to my kingdom, break several of my toys, and fire your pitiful weapons at me without even asking my name? Shame on you, don’t you know any better?”

Sombra’s voice oozed with pride, sending shivers down even the Doctor’s spine. He was cocky, prideful, but still dangerous. In the face of the Daleks, he laughed. To him, they were just another unknown creature beneath him.

“Now, do you want to assist in my conquest, or are you only going to get in my way?”

“Daleks do not ally themselves with inferior-“

In the blink of an eye the Dalek imploded, folding into itself and vanishing completely. The two Daleks looked at one another, calculating their next move. One Dalek being destroyed may have been an advantage, but them allying with Sombra spelt disaster.

“There are three Daleks not in our party. We will discuss your terms once they’ve arrived.”

The Daleks left as Sombra returned to his place, no doubt watching over the land. They hurried their way back towards the guards, seeing several Daleks approaching. There were still only two of them, the others likely lurking around somewhere. Looking on the ground was a long cable inset with large white spheres several feet apart. The Doctor picked up a cable gently, observing one of the spheres.

“Oh dear… temporal extinction devices, wipes anything within it out of time for several miles. The Daleks didn’t take kindly to no longer being the ones in command.”

“Then we have to get out of here.” Free whispered as she tugged on the Doctor’s foreleg.

“We have very little time, but I may be able to use this to our advantage. I never thought I’d see the mystery solved.”

“Doctor, what are you talking about? This place is evil and should be destroyed.” Spark said in retaliation.

“You remember what I said about this place, young stallion? It disappeared for one thousand years. If I’m quick enough I can easily rewire a module to simply freeze the empire time.”

Removing the top of the sphere , the Doctor began removing small circuits. He chucked several bits and pieces to the side before placing the top back on haphazardly. Placing the sphere down gently, he heard a guard yelling “Halt” behind him. He slowly turned around, seeing several guards pointing electrified spears at them. They were ushered out of the shadows and into the view of the crowd.

“You’ve been caught placing explosive thaumatic weapons. Jeopardising our operations is a crime worthy to the likes of treason.”

“These are our enemies, they shall be exterminated by us only.”

The Daleks had finally found them, either they’d die at the hooves of Sombra’s legion or by the weapon of a Dalek. Luckily for them it seemed that neither party could decide who should kill them.

“I don’t care what you are, we caught them, and we’ll execute them.”

“Daleks do not take orders from lesser beings.”

“Tell that to our king and then see what happens.”

The four of them closed their eyes and ducked as both Daleks opened fire. They bolted for it, just barely missing getting shot by a Dalek. The guard fell to the ground, dozens of others taking his place. They may have been Daleks, machines created for war, but they were vastly outnumbered. Nopony looked back as the Daleks were torn apart bolt by bolt, but they knew it happened. The cables started to glow a vibrant blue as they charged their power.
The TARDIS was just in sight, the Doctor quickly unlocking the door as everypony rushed inside.

They dematerialized just in time, the entirety of the Crystal Empire vanishing as it was displaced into a time bubble. Sombra may have been more powerful, but the Daleks won in a way as he was stuck in his kingdom, never to leave for a thousand years. Only three of them remained, escaping into the vortex like the TARDIS crew did. Spark collapsed in a chair while Berry and Free sat on the floor, gasping for air. They’d lost whatever time advantage they may have had before and they only just barely escaped. Even if only a handful of Daleks remained the Doctor wasn’t certain that they could handle another beating. He had an idea of where to go next, but it was a long shot as the TARDIS travelled further into the future.

“Doctor…we’ve had enough. We can’t keep going through with this anymore.” said Spark, weary as he approached the old stallion.

“And what do you expect me to do? I can’t return you home, not with the Daleks constantly on our tails. We have to keep confronting them, fighting back.”

“And we could’ve been killed out there! You’re throwing all of us straight into the flames of history just because the Daleks could be burnt too. Well I’m sick and tired of it and this machine of yours. Did you ever even think about how we felt?”

“Of course I did! Every single day, every second since I first put you in the Dalek’s way. I’ve tried to show you the wonders of the universe, to take you somewhere safe and sound.”

“Well we never got the choice that you did. I want to live a normal life in one place and time, to have certainty of where I’m going to be rather than this chaotic nonsense!”

“THAT’S ENOUGH “ Berry yelled at the two of them.

The Doctor and Spark stopped, looking over at her without saying a word. Immediately their expressions softened, feeling ashamed.

“This is the last thing we need right now. I’ve learned so much in my time travelling, to be more confident in myself and my abilities. I’ve grown just as you have. We may not have gotten a choice to leave, but we do have the choice to stay. Neither of us will regret our time here. So please…let’s settle our differences and stay together. We made a great team, but it’s time for us to go home.”

The Doctor sighed as he wiped his brow and fiddled with his coat lapels.

“Thank you. I’m not sure how much longer the TARDIS navigator will last with all of these quick manoeuvres, but I will always keep my word with you two.”

With the flick of a few switches the TARDIS landed again. One last confrontation and they were all free, free to finally continue down their paths. Outside those doors was a great white hall full of arched glass windows to view the forest below. Even at such an odd angle they could easily see the bright white city before them. It stood on stilts, raised miles above the treetops. It was quiet, eerily quiet. It felt like a ghost town, the only sounds being the wind blowing through the halls and the faint buzz of electricity.

“Where and when are we?” Free asked as she tiptoed from behind.

“Further in time than we’ve been before. It’s certainly a pony colony, though I’m not quite sure of its fate. We should be safe for now.”

Moving further down the hall a large droid came into view. It was a silver dodecahedron with thin and flexible arms that extended around its center. The way they glided was like a spider, shifting back and forth endlessly, cold and calculating as if it were stalking its prey. They rolled along the ceiling, each of its sides magnetically clamping onto the surface with ease. Something felt wrong, very very wrong. The three large droids enclosed around them, shifting slowly, guiding them further into the city.

“Uhm, where is everpony?” Free asked nervously.

The machines turned to her, their arms jittering as they analysed her speech. They paused before they responded in a slow and mechanical voice.

“Ponish…recognized…forward. Follow. Move.” the droid responded, synchronously turning around with the it’s other two followers afterwards.

No matter what they said, they only responded in the same three words: “Forward. Follow. Move.” They were corralled down through tighter hallways until they were led into a mostly empty room filled with old construction supplies and an odd stairway made of various metal and wooden beams. It only just dawned on them how much this place was still in construction. All over the city were various materials and half finished structures, barely hidden out of sight.

There was a bed with a small stuffed Panda in the corner, well kept with the sheets properly tucked in. Somepony was still here, and they weren’t alone. When Spark observed the makeshift structure, it creaked as somepony started to come down it. The four of them backed away as a cobalt blue Pegasus with a scruffy indigo mane and beard walked down the stairs. He was just in as much shock as they were.

“This is impossible…I’ve thought of the chances, two million to one. And yet you’re here…uhm, hello. I’m uh, I’m Cosmic Storm.” he said, trying to hold back his delight.

“How do you do, this’s the Doctor, Free, Berry, and I’m Spark. It's…nice to meet you? We’re a little bit behind, could you tell us what’s going on?”

“That’s fair enough, the Mechanoids took over when I crash landed. First pilot of Mission Posey, the 9th mission of the Equestrian Space Program, all big and official. I even brought my little mascot Hi-Fi for company.”

Cosmic smiled as he showed off his tattered badge before picking up the stuffed panda. It depicted Celestia and Luna running around Equus in silver and gold, though most of the lettering had been tarnished.

“Oh dear…have you been able to contact the other colonies?” The Doctor asked.

“Unfortunately not, my transmission system was destroyed on impact. I survived like you, but no radio home I’m afraid.”

“How long have you been here? Surely somepony would’ve come along and checked by now.” Berry asked.

“I’m afraid not. I’ve been stuck here for the past two years, not a single peep but from the Mechanoids. They were sent here to build this place, but when they stopped receiving instructions they didn’t know what to do. Next thing I know they’re making an entire civilization, keeping you and I trapped like specimens in a jar.”

The wall behind them shifted, revealing that they were really just large blinds for a glass window. Multiple Mechanoids came to observe them, leaving after only a minute. Spark quickly looked up at the staircase, going up a few steps.

“Where does this lead?” he asked angrily.

“Up to the roof, I built it myself after a while of staying here.”

“So it leads out of here?”

“Well yeah, but where are we gonna go? It’s a several mile drop and that forest is full of deadly things.”

“We’ve got a ship out on the long entryway to the city. We just need to get to it.”

“A functioning ship?! I thought you crash landed here just like me!”

Cosmic nearly jumped for joy, clutching the plush panda as he quickly rushed up to the rooftop. Berry looked over at Free and chuckled.

“I wouldn’t always call it functional.” Berry quipped.

“I have ears too

The roof wasn’t perfectly flat and there wasn’t an easy access to the entryway, but it was possible. Just when Berry and Cosmic started to lift some of their friends over a wall, smoke arose from the opening they came from. The Dalek’s voices could be faintly heard, approaching faster and faster. Free started to breathe heavily, doing her best not to look down. Her eyes were shut tight, Berry holding onto her tightly as they moved from rooftop to rooftop. The colony was being set ablaze, and the remaining Daleks were in over their chrome domes.

The Mechanoids may have been weak but they were strong in numbers. For every Mechanoid that was destroyed another two took its place. They could only watch as the Daleks were cut and crushed by various advanced construction tools.Then, the silence returned. No more time travelling Daleks, the city even more of a husk than it had ever been before. While the Daleks may be gone the Mechanoids still roamed the colony, clearing up the rubble and ruins of the fallen droids. The hallway was empty and the maintenance hatch from the roof had collapsed in. Just the TARDIS and the Dalek timeship stood as the cold wind blew through the shattered glass windows.

“Well, back home then? No more alien monsters or battles of ancient history.” Spark asked, staying close to Berry.

“Well…our little journey burnt out the Tardis navigation circuit. It could take me years to fix it again without any parts or navigation.” the Doctor said, feeling ashamed that he couldn’t take them home himself.

“But what about the Dalek Time Machine? Surely it should be good for one trip.” asked Berry.

“It is, but it’s too dangerous. I could set an automatic course but it’s too risky. Even if I were to pilot it myself there’s no certainty that you’ll get home.”

“Please Doctor…you know it’s hard for us to constantly run and fight our way out of trouble.”

“I want to go home, live my life, order a proper meal and walk on the beach. We’ve breathed the air of alien worlds and touched their land. But we want to belong, belong in one place and one time. It’s time to let us go…”

The Doctor paused, sighing as he entered the Dalek ship, presetting the course for the year 963 of the first monarchy and close to Foal Hill. Upon exiting he looked at the smiling faces before him. The last connection to his life from when he started travelling. It pained him greatly to see them grow, but he knew that he made a difference in them as they had done to him.

“It’s ready to go, just close the doors and you’ll be off. I can’t thank you two enough for everything you’ve done for me.”

The Doctor watched as they smiled at him, entered the timeship and exited his life. Though he still had one nagging question left in his mind.

“I suppose you two would like to return home as well,hm? This is your only chance with the Tardis in such a state.”

Free and Cosmic looked at one another, smiling as they already knew their answers.

“I’m not leaving just yet. Adventures to have and worlds to explore, besides I have nothing to return to.” Free replied.

“And I’m positive that you’ll need a pilot if your ship is as run down as I think it is.” Cosmic said jokingly.

Before the Doctor could reply the Dalek timeship made a long piercing sound as it vanished into nothing. He only hoped that they made it home safely.

“Very well then, come along you two. No use staying here.”

Upon entering the TARDIS he looked back over at the tape he meant to give to Berry and Spark. He took out the chip that recorded a good amount of Equestrian history, it would’ve messed with history anyway in 963. He didn’t use the actual film to download that corrupt AI of course. Upon looking at the ancient film he smiled, turning over the tape to reveal the faded words: Donated to the Equestrian Museum of Technology by Berry Blossom and Spark Reaction c.995. The film was barely still intact, but he put it into the borrowed VCR anyway. They were older, grayer, but still happy even decades later.

“You probably won’t be seeing this Doctor, but we made it. We made it to Canterlot 965. Two years and a hundred miles away, but we made it. Hopefully we’ll see you again someday soon, just to sit down in our world for once. Have a cup of tea or coffee, talk about old times. But I know you can’t keep that silly contraption under control. We’ll miss you.” Spark said with a smile.

“Oh and Doctor, don’t forget to be kind. On whatever alien world you’re on or the period of time you’re in, just be kind. I know you’re going to be lonely without us, and that sometimes you forget when you’re lonely. But just remember that one thing, just for us.” said Berry, sitting down next to Spark and giving him a hug.”

The tape ejected, still intact. A gift for them turned into a gift for him. With the flick of a switch and turn of a dial, the TARDIS dematerialized, off on another adventure in space and time.