• Published 18th May 2019
  • 1,242 Views, 7 Comments

The Timepony’s Journal - Penny_Shavins109



The Doctor is in trouble and it’s up to Twilight to help. Instructions on what to do are written in his Diary, but the text scrambles itself to hide it’s secrets. So with no other clear options, she decides to read from page one.

  • ...
1
 7
 1,242

Chapter 13 - Radiance

Twilight closed the book as she heard Radiance walk down the stairs, rubbing her tired eyes.

“Oh, you’re awake. Are you feeling any better?” Twilight asked with a nervous smile.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Better but not exactly great. I’ve got a thumping big headache.”

"How about we go for a walk? Maybe that'll take your mind off of the stress."

The outdoors was just about the same as it was the day before with crisp autumn air and a slight chill in the breeze. It was peaceful but the city square often drowned out the silence. Twilight racked her mind for different areas of relaxation. The spa was a likely option but it was often overused, maybe something a little more unconventional? They were already heading in that direction so she might as well bring it up.

“So, have you ever been to Ponyville Spa before? That is if you can remember.”

“No... I don’t think I have. I’m not even entirely sure what a ‘spa’ is. They don’t have them where I’m... from.”

Radiance stumbled back nearly fainting again, the mental strain taking a toll on her body. Luckily Twilight had a shoulder to lean on.

“No worries, I’ll help you there,” Twilight said as they continued onwards.


“You sure she shouldn’t seek medical assistance?” asked Lotus, the co-owner of Ponyville Spa along with her sister Aloe.

“Well we’d have to schedule an appointment in advance for that, you’re usually more accepting of walk-ins like this.”

Radiance sat in a chair propped up against the wall, slowly trying to process the things that swamped her mind. There was no doubt that Twilight would be able to help her, but would it be enough? She rubbed her temples in circles to get rid of the dull yet aching pain that resided in her skull. Back at the front desk, Twilight looked over her options on the post board next to the counter.

"If you're looking more for mental relaxation, we have a special therapy open soon. The next opening is in ten minutes so it's a bit of a wait."

"Oh, that's nothing compared to some of the other things on the list. Some need reservations in advance."

"Yes, the sauna is rather booked these days. Ponies are just waiting in line for ages for half an hour. That usually happens with the high demand treatments."

After the wait, Radiance was taken into a dim room lit by lavender-scented candles. A red cushioned bed sat at the center of the room surrounded by lilacs and hydrangeas. Her hooves quietly clicked on the cold floor as she approached the bed, comfortably lying down on her back. Aloe put a record onto the player in the corner, the crank ticking as she wound up the springs inside to begin to spin the turntable. A soft and relaxing melody drifted out from its speaker while a bucket of cold water was splashed onto a pile of steaming rocks, making a soft hiss, crackle, and pop while the steam rose into the air. The room was set for a long rest of meditation, removing all other interference from the outside world.

None of the troublesome noise or thoughts of the outside world existed inside these four walls, just the music, delightful scents, and a pure aura of calm. Taking a deep breath in Radiance began to drift towards unconsciousness. Every second she was lulled closer and closer to sleep.

"Now just close your eyes and think of your happy place,” said Aloe before finally closing the door behind her.

Her senses dulled becoming calmer and calmer. It was a feeling like being detached from her body and just letting everything go. Time slowly drifted away as Radiance finally entered her first deep sleep in a long while.


When she woke up she was not in the same place that she had laid down upon. It felt like home to her, and it was. She was back on Gallophrey before all the commotion, all the destruction and terror had commenced. The air smelled like citrus and maple, the wind slowly blowing in her direction. A tall silver leafed tree stood above her, providing shade.

The sound of foals laughing while playing in the orange grass could be heard not so far away. It was a forest filled with many of the same silver-leafed trees. From the lack of brush and other variants of large plants within the space, she appeared to be in a small clearing.

Walking out of the forest and down a path, she had once traveled long ago she arrived at a shantytown. The buildings were made out of dusty old wood which failed to compare with the shining Citadel far away. No robes, no fancy glimmering halls, just the plain simplicity of life in the wastelands. The houses lined up in rows forming large blocks of battered housing units all held together with hope. Something pulled Radiance along, towards the direction of a certain unit that was a bit darker than the others. It was round with open windows since glass couldn't be cut with enough ease as well as the lack of resources. The roof was made of rigid sheet metal that angled down around the house's edge and jutted into a flat top.

It was built more for survival than to aesthetically please. The door creaked as she opened it, the place empty except for herself. The smell of a sweet mushroom stew wafted through the air as it cooked in a pot on the stove. There was only enough room for two beds. They creaked when sat upon, the bed frames a similar mix of wood and metal as the house. A small kitchen, a dining table surrounded by four chairs, and two beds for sleeping were all that filled the house. Radiance jumped as thunder clapped outside of the window while rain softly pitter-pattered against the roof. She closed the shutters to prevent any rain from getting inside. Laying her head back on the bed, she closed her eyes once more and continued to rest.


The thunder clapped again, but there was no rain to accompany it. Upon rushing outside she saw a light green foal with yellow and purple hair hugging her parents goodbye. Radiance looked down at her hooves to see that her hooves matched the same light green as the child in front of her. Something wasn't right, she was monochrome the last time she looked at herself in the mirror. Every time she blinked her fur switched between the colors light green, blue, and seafoam green. Her head hurt and everything began to slow down.

"Just breathe in... and out..." she said calmly to herself.

"D-do I have to go, momma?" the foal stuttered in and out between light sobs.

"Yes sweetie, it's a great honor for you to be chosen. I'll see you again someday. You're going to make one fine Time Lord."

The mother's, her mother's, words still rang throughout her head. She didn't want to go and leave everything she knew behind. Her favorite stew, the way her bed creaked and the rain tapped against the metal roof of her childhood home. It was all going to be going away. Radiance wiped a tear from her eye, not even noticing that she'd been crying. With another clap of thunder, the scene changed around her again. It was a deep green hallway lit with ancient candles. Incandescent lights were available but these were more for the aesthetic. Her robes nearly matched the walls with a similar green palette as the Arcalian chapter house. Slowly her hooves moved on their own down the hallway, softly tapping against the marble flooring. It was a new sound since she had never stepped on anything so smooth or cold as this before now.

A set of bronze doors with a circular seal embedded within it stood before her at the end of the hallway. It was full of funny curves and circles that formed a vertical figure eight. It was the seal of Rassilon, representing the original Lord President of Gallophrey, founder of the Time Lords, and architect of their current society. If a room was emblazoned with the seal above its entryway, it absolutely held significant importance. The doors opened slowly with a long creak, revealing a gateway to the outdoors. It was dark except for the brilliant machine before her. A circle opening inscribed with High Gallophreyan texts, forged with gold and steel to make a special arcane barrier. The machine did nothing but hold open what was already there.

The Untampered Schism, a rip in the fabric of the universe itself and a link with the time vortex. The hole opened up to the vortex with its ever-changing colors, shapes, and ripples. From vibrant blues to a slurry of stars and sparkles it shifted left and right. She could see straight into time itself, the knowledge of all possible past, present, and future right there in front of her very own eyes. It was so much to take in that she could feel it stretch within her very own mind. She was harmonizing with it, to the very tune of the universe. Spheres orbiting stars in unique yet distinctively similar ways. Cause and effect no longer had a certain meaning, the rules of time-bending left and right in a timey-wimey fashion.

Kingdoms rose and fell within the blink of an eye. Centuries turned into seconds and vice versa, straining her eyes as she watched. They flew gold with artron and arcane energy, types of forces that flowed through the hearts of every living being. Time Lords could harness that power, they were filled with that power, and now Radiance had been bestowed that power herself. This was the initiation of the Time Lords where foals would come to see their potential and change into who they might become if they survived. Radiance wobbled back and forth, her head still buzzing from the experience.

"Get her to one of the Zero Chambers, she'll be able to heal quicker there."


The room smelled like roses and lilacs, similar to the room she had left behind in the world of consciousness and physical reality. The Zero Chamber was nothing more than an old memory of the past. It was slowly coming back to her, parts of her past that she had witnessed and a feeling that there was more to come. Three other white figures approached her, each one seemingly different yet oh so familiar. They were nothing but outlines until only one came closer to her. It was the same light green mare with the yellow and purple mane from before. Her hair was cut shorter, sinking an inch below her ears. Her bright purple eyes beamed with innocence and youth, still unaware of what to come. She wore the same patterned robes as the day she was initiated but they were grander, showing maturity, strength, and rank.

"Hey..." she said shyly.

The voice was different than hers, a few pitches higher by the sound of it. She put a hoof out to Radiance, still lying on the ground. Radiance took it and was helped up into a standing position. Her surroundings were becoming more blurry and vague.

"Where am I?' Radiance asked, looking confused.

"Exactly where you are and were. You're both in the relaxation center of the Ponyville Spa and here in the Zero Chamber on Gallophrey a very long time ago. You may not entirely know who I am yet, but I should still introduce myself as a courtesy. My name is Hedliaellfrolithene or Hedley for short."

"You're me then... who I used to be?"

"Precisely, you've gained back part of the memories of the part of your life up to the point you first arrived here. This is why I'm much more clear than my fellow compatriots."

"So I know what I am and who I am, but I don't know where I've been or what I've done... If I stay longer will I be able to find out?"

"Possibly, but unfortunately you can't stay. I've learned that you can only reminisce on the past for a certain period of time. But not to worry, I have an inkling of hope that we'll meet again soon. Radiance, is that your name? So that's what I go by now?"

"Yeah... no offense but Hedley doesn't feel like me anymore."

"Understandable, but remember this fortunate occasion. You likely won't forget again unless made to forget by certain dire circumstances that lie within my own future."

"Yeah, I'll get back to you on that as soon as I can."

Her past self certainly had an air of regality surrounding her. A Time Lord, still high and mighty amongst her own kind. What had she done to move past that, to give a life living like that away? That was a question for another time as she began to fade in and out.

"It seems like you're regaining consciousness. It's been somewhat fun, meeting myself."

"It's been nice meeting me too. Until next time Hedley?"

"Until next time, dear Radiance. Farewell."

Both of them smiled softly as everything began fading to white. The smell of lilacs and hydrangeas returned along with the smoke pouring from the now colder rocks. It was time to wake up, time to continue searching for the missing pieces of herself. But there was certainly more to come. Thus she opened her eyes and awoke to the waking world of consciousness before her. BIG mistake.