• Published 18th May 2019
  • 1,242 Views, 7 Comments

The Timepony’s Journal - Penny_Shavins109



The Doctor is in trouble and it’s up to Twilight to help. Instructions on what to do are written in his Diary, but the text scrambles itself to hide it’s secrets. So with no other clear options, she decides to read from page one.

  • ...
1
 7
 1,242

Chapter 12 - Interference

Long ago, once every sixty years nine unicorns were selected to raise the sun and lower the moon since no being of power yet existed that could do so. The action of raising the celestial bodies every day took an ultimate toll on the nine mages. As skilled as they were nothing could prevent their magic from being permanently drained by the sixtieth year of service.

Thus the Sancti Novem Trials were created to find the top of the class students for this task. The drainage of their prized elites was a blow to the land’s morale. That’s the reason why the Ball of Excelsia was created. Free of admission many came far and wide to attend the fabulous party.

After Celestia and Luna came to power the ball was almost deemed unnecessary. The princesses believed that the ball was a part of pony culture and kept it, renaming it the Grand Galloping Gala. Admissions had to be instituted as it was hard to fund such a party with only the crown’s budget. It wasn’t as grand as the Excelsia, a ball so grand that its name echoed through history.


The TARDIS softly materialized inside of the crystal cove. The walls were dank and musty, the only light being the torches that sat in their metal sconces. The door creaked open and Berry stepped out.

“Eesh, it’s rather cold in here. Nothing but old scrolls, tomes, and trinkets. Must be around or during the Metal Dynasty at the very least. What do you think of it, Susan?”

Susan closed the door behind her.

“I think it’s just a dusty old library. I never had much of an interest there. These funny scribbles look lovely though.”

“Those must be the runes of the Alicornian scribes. We’re in a temple of the Divine Race, which one I can’t tell.”

“You mean there’s more than one?”

“Yes, but I wish I knew where and when we were. So many of these things will be long gone by the time Celestia and Luna come to power. How do I look?”

Berry was wearing a bronze and gold necklace encrusted with several jewels.

“Divine, Your Majesty,” Susan said as she knelt.

“Oh stop, stop. I really shouldn’t be wearing this.”

The door opens and an elderly unicorn in a crimson robe stood there looking surprised. The three of them locked eyes with each other in a moment of both confusion and light panic.

“What’re you two doing here?”


The Doctor and Spark finally left the TARDIS, only a few minutes after the others left. The atmosphere was almost the same, but somewhat more disturbed.

”Now I wonder where they've gotten to, hmm? Always wondering around when it isn’t necessary.”

”It could be worse, could be the Daleks all over again."

"Please don't speak of them so lightly. Still, we need to figure out exactly where and when we are, eh. I'm sure Berry would know, she’s always bragging about her history."

"That was her job you know."

Spark chuckled and opened the iron gate door into the temple. After walking a bit further they were greeted by unicorns in similar robes to the one Berry saw.

"Ah, you must be Susan's other guardians. We were expecting you to arrive soon."

Spark and the doctor looked at each other in shock. The stallions couldn't possibly know her name unless something had happened to her. Led out of the temple and into a dining hall they stayed alert for any suspicious actions. The room contained three tables. Two side by side, one for the nine foals and the other for the adults to eat. The third, however, was above the rest. Nine unicorns sat tall and regally, overlooking the entire feast. Before the two of them could react Berry approached them from the unicorns' table, doing a polite bow for both courtesy and show.

"Don't worry, they think we're admitted for their ceremony. I was wearing a ceremonial bracelet when they found me and they accepted me right away. They think I'm a servant of the old Alicorn race with Susan as my pupil. I told them you were expected, so try and hold the act long enough so we can get back to the TARDIS. The Age of Strife is no period to hang around long in."

Berry gestured over to the table with more elegant chairs and cutlery than the rest of the room. They seated themselves and politely chatted over fine cut fruit and vegetables with golden goblets of crystal cider. The silverware was true silver as the table cloth was embroidered silk.

"Thank you for the wonderful meal, but we really must be going," said Berry

"Going? But I thought you'd be delighted to witness the ceremony of our successors. To not only see your own selected among the successors of the Sancti Novam Trials, but also your chosen warrior amongst our legions as well as the elderly stallion's wise counsel. I'm sorry if we have dishonored you in any way that may anger the goddesses."

"I-it's quite alright, I believe I've changed my mind. I would not want to do you such a dishonor."

She was backed into a corner; be free from them but bring great shame to the tribe or stay and witness what may be a horrible event. Spark cleared his throat and placed a hoof of Berry's shoulder.

"If I may speak freely, we do require some respite before the ceremony. Is there anywhere we may retire?"

"But of course, we'll have your quarters prepared right away. We also have some activities that you may be interested in. Though I won't bother you with the details yet. Come, we offer you any luxuries you desire oh divine ones."

Once reaching the room they began to discuss in privacy.

"So, a vacation in the most dangerous period in Equestrian history. Not quite my cup of tea if you know what I mean." Spark sighed, putting his face in his hooves.

"It's not like I had a choice. Would you rather I dishonor a small kingdom for the sake of our benefit?"

"Now, now, my foal, there's no need for such hostility. We simply go along until we get access to the temple again.'

"But that's just it, what if we never get the chance?"

"I hate to say it but she has a point. Where's Susan by the way?"

"In a separate room for the 'chosen ones'. She's been 'chosen' to help raise the sun and moon every day. If only those unicorns didn't have to lose their magic at all, even if it were for a great cause. It feels wrong for the elite to make such a sacrifice rather than helping the rest of the Equestria, assuming it's been founded by now.'

"I know my dear, but we mustn't interfere with history. These events lead to a greater future. Most importantly we absolutely cannot tread in areas we aren't supposed to be meddling in."

"Look who's talking," Spark muttered.

The next morning they all joined together at the Solar Church sometime before the ceremony for instructions on how it will commence. For everyone else, this was a time of respect and honor. But it could also spell a possible doom for the four of them.

"D-do I have to do this?" Susan stuttered in fear.

"Yes, it's a great honor for your family" the Priest replied.

"I'm sorry... but I'm not ready."

"As a goddess's disciple, you must be prepared for such a sacrifice."

"She has not been properly trained in your way of life. I am sorry if she has offended you." Berry stepped in.

"Then we must teach her. There is, after all, still time."

"Thank you, my master will grant thee great blessings for such an act."

Berry did a bow before the Priest, causing him to be ecstatic.

“Thank you, I’ll happily employ her to be one of our top mentors. And for the warrior, training and jousting tournaments are offered for those who are fit.”

“Training, eh? I’m a mighty bit rusty but I think I can work something out.”

“And for the elderly-“

“The Doctor is fine.”

“Ah yes, The Doctor can relax and rejuvenate his mind in the SunBerry fields. Others of great age discuss and explore new elements every day to keep their minds sharp. It is, after all, as important to look upon the future as it is to dwell and reminisce on the past.”

The Doctor smiled brightly. Finally, a way to learn and explore without the threat of danger lingering behind. He gladly accepted and everyone went their separate ways. The fields were more like a tertiary garden, trees covered in warm-colored berries providing shade above those who sat underneath. The sandy path curved to and fro throughout the whole garden, lit by old ornamental lanterns.

"Quite the view, isn't it?" a new mare asked from behind him.

"Oh, don't startle me like that. And yes, it truly is quite remarkable. I see why it's such a charming place."

"Is it true that you're an elder sent by the goddess?"

"Yes, yes. Everypony does seem to be flaunting my title around, don't they?"

"I merely ask, as I'm neither a skilled mage nor a master of weather, but merely a pony of the earth. What purpose could I serve to the gods above?"

The two sat down by the pond and watched the ducks swim while light purple flowers blowing in the breeze.

"Well, how you find the answer isn't necessarily the choice of any divine power. I think the best way is for you to explore a little more, do what makes you happy. I know it sounds like a typical answer but it isn't wrong."

"Thank you. You're very kind and generous, you know."

The Doctor picked up a flower, looking it over. Only the edges were purple, fading into a pure white around the center. In the middle was a yellow needle, very sharp upon closer inspection.

"What kind of flower is this?"

"We call it the Somnus, the needle aids those to rest during times of slumber. Be careful not to prick your hoof on it or you might fall asleep yourself."

The two laughed happily together.

"Well... thank you for your wise counsel. I hope we can talk more later."

"There's no need for you to leave, why not stay here and chat for a little while longer hmm?"

"The ceremony's in a few hours... I must prepare."

"Very well then, you may be on your way."

The Doctor watched as the middle-aged mare trotted off towards the church. The silence didn't last forever as another stallion approached. He silently sighed in annoyance before turning around.

"Yes, what is it, what do you want?"

He was covered in deep green face paint along with a purple insignia embedded on the side of the armor. He was heavily built, clearly of the warrior class.

"I am Grazing Oak, top fighter amongst my clan. As unfortunate as it may be, I desire your assistance."

"Ah, I don't have much knowledge in the ways of combat. I tend to take the more peaceful route, or at the very least try to."

"But sir, I am to fight a strong new opponent. I desire any assistance as he has a strange power that no unicorn has yet seen."

"Just give me a moment eh.."

Looking down the Doctor saw the Somnuses, planted in neat little rows. Picking up a needle carefully he poked it through a fallen leaf, then giving it to Grazing.

"Yes... this should work quite well. Prick him by the hoof, and make sure it draws blood."

"Will it kill him?"

"Heavens no, It'll only drain their power. In a few short minutes, they'll have collapsed from exhaustion."

"Thank you, for a stallion that can take down a warrior with only the tip of his hoof requires divine intervention."

As he walked away the Doctor wondered to himself. It was best to watch the fight just to make sure he had done more good than harm. Upon entering the small training grounds, a room only defined by the weapons mounted the walls, he came to a surprise. Spark was the warrior, adorning a similar set of armor to the one the other wore.

"Spark, I've been tricked! That stallion you're fighting, he's used to me to get an advantage on you. Don't let him scratch you!"

"Wait, what?"

The fight began anyway, a new unicorn against the strong and hard trained pegasus. Blades and shields clashed against each other again and again, Spark struggling to hold his stand. Luckily he was able to quickly gain mastery over his opponent, nearly pinning him to the ground. But upon escaping Spark’s grasp he used his secret weapon, a small wound appearing on Spark’s hoof. Only a small scratch like a papercut, but this would be far worse. The fight continued as they clashed. Wham, blade against blade. Wham, blade against the shield. It was a seemingly never-ending cycle. That was until Spark began to weaken, feeling dizzier and dizzier. He only had to hold out, stand his ground to keep fighting.

But he was now no match for Grazing Oak. With one swift blow to the shield, Spark Reaction fell down to the ground. He gasped for breath, unusually tired.

"The fight is over, I have finished off your selected warrior. As payment for your strong will and ability to defend yourself, I will make your death swift."

Grazing Oak lifted his blade and pointed it towards Spark's chest.

Berry came galloping down the corridor, hearing all the commotion. She saw what was about to happen and let out a cry of both fear and anger.

"NO!"