• Published 3rd May 2019
  • 2,518 Views, 92 Comments

The Line Between Fire and Light - Stolenalicorn



A father goes to great lengths to find his daughter’s heroes and finds something he wasn't looking for ... friends.

  • ...
12
 92
 2,518

PreviousChapters Next
5 Filler; A Running Production

James walked alongside his daughters, they had gotten significantly better at moving around in pony form each visit. And they constantly harassed him to let them practice. There were places other than Ponyville where he would much rather take a day trip, but this one was growing on him whimsy and all. And seeing his daughters smile, no matter what form they were in, was always a bonus.

Amber and Sara ran about frantic, each trying to see everything they could but still stay close to their dad like he had told them. They knew this place was safe though, he just worried too much.

It was Sara's screaming that first alerted James that something may be wrong. This changed immediately as he turned and saw who she was screaming at. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo all held their ears as Sara leaped for joy. Amber charged up next, her wings fluttering as fast as she could make them to try to get into the air.

“We just asked if you were new.” Apple Bloom said as Sara's scream finished.

“It's the Cutie Mark Crusaders!” Sara and Amber said excitedly as they hugged each other.

“Yeah, that's us.” Scootaloo said awkwardly.

“Are you from Manehatten?” Sweetie Belle asked, guessing that it was Babs that told these two about the club.

“No we're from Ne…” Amber started to say before she remembered her father was right beside her. “… Somewhere else.”

“Hello girls.” James calmly said to the CMCs before turning to his daughters. “Now what did I tell you two about screaming like that at every pony that you recognize?”

“That's a bad way to make friends.” Amber and Sara said in unison.

“We're sorry.” Amber said as she put her head down.

“We're just so excited.” Sara said as she fidgeted, rubbing a scar on her forearm (foreleg).

“Hey, excited is fine. Just don't scream.” James laughed, he was happy to see them so excited.

“Hi Green Apple.” Scootaloo said as she looked up to the chestnut alicorn. “I didn't know you had fillies.”

Apple Bloom looked to the girls as she thought. “I remember Applejack telling me about them one day after school. They came by to visit once before.”

“I don't remember seeing them when we were exploring their home.” Sweetie Belle said.

Amber's and Sara's faces fell as they heard that the ponies had come to the castle and their father never told them.

“That's because they were asleep and had to go to school in an hour and a half.” James calmly said. “I'm glad you didn't find them too …”

“Dad!” Sara shouted, cutting her father off.

“Don't take that tone with me!” James growled at his daughter. “If they had found you, you would have woken up the whole castle. And I'd be a lot angrier about that. Not to mention how hard it would be to get you two to school then.”

Apple Bloom knew that tone well, it was one Applejack would use when she was about to get in trouble. She needed to calm things down before Green Apple really got angry. “We were just going to Sugar Cube Corner. Did you want to come along?” She awkwardly asked.

Sara and Amber both looked to their father with pleading eyes.

James began to chuckle as he looked. “You know those don't work on me. But to be honest if the three of them are okay with it, it's fine with me.”

Amber and Sara gasped at the news and turned to the three ponies in front of them, prancing in place in their excitement. Where they had learned to prance he had no idea, probably practicing behind his back or something.

It didn't take long for the decision to be made. James gave his daughters a small sack of coins and reminded them of his rules before they joined the trio and trotted off.

It had been just over an hour when Twilight flew up to James as he walked along the street. “Hi, if you're not too busy could you meet me up on the highest deck of the library. I need as much help as I can get.”

James shrugged, with his daughters spending time with the fillies he had some free time. “Sure, count me in.”

“Thanks. I should go now, I have more ponies to get.” Twilight said as she flew off.

James smiled, he knew this wasn't serious by her tone and frankly wondered what she could need help with. Not wanting to be late, he turned right for the library and set a brisk pace. Along the way he saw Pinkie Pie and Applejack also making their way there.

“James, I didn't know you were in town today.” Applejack said.

James continued his pace as they neared the tree. “Yeah, I only came by for the evening with my daughters. We were just going to look around town.”

“Ooh. I saw them at Sugar Cube Corner with Apple Bloom Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle.” Pinkie said as she bounced backwards.

“At least I feel they're safe in Ponyville.” James said, slowing down as the group got to the door. “Ladies, grab hold and I'll give us a lift up there.”

Pinkie wasted no time leaping onto James's back, Applejack grabbed hold around his neck as he lifted off the ground towards the upper reaches of the tree.

James stayed silent as the group discussed how to help Rainbow Dash, taking his part when it came up and setting out to get the stage ready.

“Dad, can't we have a part?” Amber whined.

“We do have a part. We're getting things set up for a running production. They can't do this without our help.” James explained as he went along placing costume changes. “And you'll get to hold a card with the Crusaders when this is done. But only if you help here first.”

Amber and Sara jumped off James's back and started running alongside him helping set things up as they eagerly waited their turn to be in the display.

As the two flying ponies approached, James nodded for his girls to run off and do their small part as he continued to ensure the props, costumes and displays were where they needed to be.

Once the display had ended he began to collect everything, confident that everything was successful. Five fillies charged towards him as he collected discarded costumes.

“Dad, can we go see Rainbow Dash?! She must be so excited!” Sara said, her horn shooting a few sparks.

“If it worked.” Sweetie Belle said.

“Of course it worked! She a…” Sara started to say.

“Sara!” James's stern voice cutting her off. “Spoilers. Let them see just how well it goes. But yeah, it worked.”

“Dad.” Sara said in a mock scolding tone.

“That's not a spoiler. Everyone here knew it was going to work.” James said with a smile.

Author's Note:

Filler?
Yes, filler. It’s not completely pointless, just doesn’t exactly fit into other parts. And it let’s you see a bit more of James’ daughters and their interaction.
Nothing really happens in this part. I should point out that I'm not writing these in order though I am posting them in order so there will be times where there's large gaps between posts. This part is referenced much later in the story.
Just because something doesn't seem important doesn't mean it doesn't come into play eventually.

PreviousChapters Next