• Published 3rd May 2019
  • 2,513 Views, 92 Comments

The Line Between Fire and Light - Stolenalicorn



A father goes to great lengths to find his daughter’s heroes and finds something he wasn't looking for ... friends.

  • ...
12
 92
 2,513

PreviousChapters Next
55 Yellow Roses

Hearts and Hooves day was popular amongst the ponies in Ponyville, even those who didn't have someone special to spend it with. They loved the atmosphere it created and of course it was a good time to find someone if you wanted to look. This year was no different, the school had even been dismissed for the day as there were far better lessons to learn around town than there were to learn in class.

Though there was never a Hearts and Hooves day without a few misunderstandings, and this time was no exception.

Sweetie Belle was very confused as she found a yellow rose waiting for her. The last time something like this had happened it had been a mistake, but this time it was definitely intentional as the tag clearly had her cutie mark on it. It was a sweet thought but also a stressful one that she may have an admirer who was too shy to show themselves. Unfortunately this meant another Hearts and Hooves day of frustration as she tried to find her admirer. At least this time there definitely was one, they had to be out there.

***

“Oh my gosh!” Twilight gasped as she found the yellow rose in her throne room. It was clearly for her as it was carefully placed on her throne and had a tag with her cutie mark on it. How it got there was secondary to the question of who it was who gave it to her. And it was special too, yellow long stem roses weren't common.

“Twilight!” Starlight happily said as she came running in through the doors to the throne room. “I have something amazing to tell you!”

“What a coincidence.” Twilight said just as happily. “I've got some great news too! You go first.” She pranced in place as she eagerly waited.

Starlight was all too happy to share her news. “I found this by my door this morning.” She said as she showed Twilight a long stem yellow rose. “Isn't this great? I've got an admirer somewhere.” She smiled widely as she told her news. “Now what did you have to say?”

Twilight had gone from ecstatic to heartbroken in a matter of moments. Her face fell as she showed Starlight a similar long stem yellow rose. “It was on my throne.” She quietly said.

Starlight felt more than a little disappointment herself as she saw the rose, but maybe it was a coincidence. “Well, it's not necessarily the same stallion. Maybe our admirers have similar tastes and it was just a coincidence that they got us the same kind of rose.” She offered.

Twilight felt a little better, but with the kind of rose it was she didn't feel like it was a coincidence. “Maybe.” She said as she gave a halfhearted smile.

“I know how we can find out. Let's go see Rose and ask her if she knows who bought these roses. I mean, it's not like they live outside Ponyville. Or even if they do it would be just as good to buy the rose here than to bring it with them.”

“You're right.” Twilight said trying to convince herself that Starlight was right about it being different ponies. It would be easy to find out who it was, especially if they bought the flowers locally.

“And while we find out we can guess who they are, or who we want them to be.” Starlight said cheerfully as they walked out of the throne room.

***

“Wait, each of you got a rose too?” Sweetie Belle asked as Apple Bloom and Scootaloo showed her their roses.

“Yeah,” Apple Bloom said as she put hers away. “I found it in the clubhouse.”

“Mine was on my scooter.” Scootaloo added as she examined hers. “I wonder why mine is white while you two got yellow.”

“You don't think you and I have the same admirer do you?” Sweetie Belle asked, looking to Apple Bloom.

“I don't know. I know several ponies can have a crush on one pony, but I've never heard of one pony having a crush on several ponies.” Apple Bloom said, pacing the clubhouse.

“And it's not like it's a mistake like Big Mac's pie last year.” Scootaloo said as she began to pace while considering what they knew.

“So I guess it's back to the chart to figure out who it could be.” Sweetie Belle said, resigned to another Hearts and Hooves day trying to find someone that didn't want to be found.

“What if it is the same pony for all three of us?” Scootaloo asked stopping abruptly at the thought. “I mean, James is with Lucca and Tali, and they're both happy with him … usually.”

“They're not really an example of a normal relationship.” Sweetie Belle shook her head as she thought about it. “Even in New Guardia.”

Scootaloo shrugged as she started walking along with her friends again.

***

“I haven't sold any yellow roses like those lately.” Rose said as Starlight held her flower out to compare. “I know most ponies don't realize this but these roses are a different kind than the ones I sell.” Rose collected a long stem rose from her stand. “See those marks on yours? That one had big thorns but the variety I sell are thorn free, and your rose hasn't bloomed yet.”

“Oh.” Starlight said, disappointed. Of course it wouldn't be that easy. She thought as she turned back to Twilight only to see Rarity walking up to them quickly with a smile.

“It's lovely to see you today.” Rarity said as she approached Twilight and Starlight. “It seems some bashful stallion has developed a crush on yours truly.” She added as she brought out a yellow rose that matched the other two. “I was coming by to ask Rose if she's sold any of these beautiful flowers lately.”

This had gone from uncomfortable and possibly coincidental to awkward and definitely deliberate. Twilight and Starlight both brought out their flowers, their faces matching their uncomfortable feeling perfectly.

Rarity's face fell slightly as she looked at the roses. “I'm sure it's a coincidence.” She said regaining some composure. “Our admirers must all understand color balance as all three of us have violet manes that this yellow so wonderfully compliments.”

“Actually, counting the princess, you're the fourth pony to come here because they got a rose just like that.” Rose said as she looked to the three.

“Yeah, there's no way this is coincidence.” Starlight said evenly. It was a massive disappointment to find out that her secret admirer, if they even were an admirer, clearly had eyes for more than just her. But she still wanted to find out who it was.

“Oh my. Who was the other filly?” Rarity asked.

“Applejack came by earlier this morning to ask.” Rose said.

“There goes that theory, huh Rarity.” Starlight said with growing frustration at how her hopes had been dashed.

“I wonder if she's had any more luck in her search.” Twilight said, hiding her immense disappointment behind curiosity. Her first admirer wasn't her admirer.

***

“What's all this again?” Big Mac asked as he walked into the barn where the CMCs were building their chart to find out who their admirers were.

“Hi Big Mac.” Apple Bloom happily said as she turned to greet him. “We're just trying to figure out who left these roses for us.”

Big Mac smiled as the three girls showed him their roses. It was cute that they had admirers.

“The problem is that we asked every colt in town last year when we thought I had an admirer and there was nopony.” Sweetie Belle said as she looked over the chart.

“A lot can change in a year.” Scootaloo said, looking to her friend. “Maybe us going around asking made somepony start thinking about it and developing a crush.”

“You really think that can happen.” Apple Bloom asked.

Shootaloo only shrugged as an answer.

“Well, I guess we'd better start asking if we're going to find out by the end of the day.” Sweetie Belle said as she walked to the barn door.

“Big Mac.” Scootaloo said as she got close. “You only sent flowers to Sugar Belle today, right?”

“Scootaloo.” Apple Bloom said as she shook her head. “It wouldn't be Big Mac.”

“One down. Unless you know who sent us these flowers.” Scootaloo said with a smile.

Big Mac smiled and shook his head.

***

It wasn't too difficult to find Applejack as she walked around Ponyville. She had figured since she was off the farm she may as well enjoy herself a little and was walking around the shops talking to whoever was there. In the brim of her hat the three ponies could see the long stem yellow rose that had been so exciting this morning but had quickly become a disappointment and a mystery.

“Howdy y'all.” Applejack said as she saw her friends coming up. This was a good day so far, a little disappointing, but it had a nice start.

“Hi Applejack.” Twilight uncomfortably said.

“You wouldn't happen to know who gave you that rose, would you?” Rarity cautiously asked.

“Nah.” Applejack casually said. “Nice gesture though.”

Starlight didn't want to ruin Applejack's day, but she deserved to know that she wasn't the only one who had the mysterious flower. She brought her rose out shortly before Twilight and Rarity did the same.

“Well I'll be. Y'all got one too, huh?” Applejack casually asked as she looked carefully at them.

“You're not upset?” Starlight asked, noting Applejack's laid back reaction to what had caused genuine heartache for her earlier that morning.

“Nope.” Applejack calmly said. “What's the point getting worked up over it if the pony who gave them can't bring themselves to say anythin' about it. I mean: I'm just a filly like any other, there's no reason to be scared.”

“I guess that's one way to look at it.” Rarity said, sounding a little down herself.

“What's got you bothered, Rarity? I'd think you get tons of this stuff on Hearts and Hooves day.” Applejack said, genuinely curious as to how she would be upset when all she had to do was bat her eyes and have a new admirer.

“Not like this. This was a mystery, and only one rose left on my sewing machine. Most admirers send bouquets and gifts and make sure I know who they are.” Rarity explained, not that she had gotten as many as some apparently thought. “Not to mention this is the first time I've received a yellow rose. If not for color balance then why would it be yellow?”

“I wasn't gonna waste time thinkin' on it, but if y'all are lookin' for them I guess I can help out.” Applejack offered as she walked up beside them.

Starlight was seriously analyzing it now. There were four yellow roses now and all of them had been given to the same group of friends. “You don't think that Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy got one too, do you?” She asked, looking to the group.

“What would it mean if they did.” Rarity puzzled.

“Well, I guess we've got a real mystery now.” Twilight said. She was still disappointed that she didn't seem to have an admirer of her own, but maybe the search with her friends would be fun. She kept telling herself that in order to keep her spirits up.

***

The CMCs were having no luck as they once again campaigned Ponyville to find whoever had sent the anonymous flowers. They were leaving no stone unturned this time as they all knew this admirer was out there. They had to be.

Sweetie Belle groaned as they met up back at the clubhouse having no luck on their campaign so far. “Is this going to be every Hearts and Hooves day from now on? Anonymous gifts with nopony willing to own up to it? If so … then Hearts and Hooves day stinks now.”

“Yeah, I mean it's kinda nice knowing that somepony out there likes us enough to do this, but why would they be so shy about it?” Apple Bloom lamented.

“Ooh, maybe we can help with that!” Scootaloo happily said, her wings fluttering excitedly.

“How can we do that when we can't even find the pony who sent the flowers?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Well maybe they're like Big Mac and just need a push to talk to somepony.” Scootaloo eagerly said. “We can start helping out ponies who need help talking to their crushes. And maybe our admirers will come and ask us for help.”

“Yeah, that didn't go so well. Remember?” Sweetie Belle said. She still enjoyed the stories, but seeing how none of the plans they got from them worked they had lost some of their magic.

“Well, we learned from it. And we're just going to help them get talking.” Scootaloo countered.

“That's a great idea!” Apple Bloom said. “And so much better if our admirers just come to us.” She paused as she looked around for where Scootaloo had gone. Eventually finding her head first in their box of costumes. “Uhm, Scootaloo, we don't need disguises for this.”

“I know. I just want to wear one.” Scootaloo answered as she pulled her head out wearing the rainbow Afro wig.

***

“Oo-oo-ooh. This is so exciting!” Pinkie Pie said as she bounced around behind the counter of Sugar Cube Corner. “Do you think we all have the same secret admirer? Then he would be super easy to find.”

“Actually, Pinkie, we're hoping that it's not the same guy.” Starlight said.

“Oh. Yeah, I guess it would be a little weird for us all to have the same admirer. I guess it's just something you forget when you hang around James.” Pinkie said, leaning on the counter.

“We're lookin' for them now if you wanted to come.” Applejack calmly offered.

“Oo-oo-ooh. I do.” Pinkie said excitedly before deflating. “But I can't, it gets super busy today and I'm watching the store and the twins for Mr. and Mrs. Cake while they have a Hearts and Hooves date.”

“Don't worry,” Twilight said calmly. “You'll know if we find anything out.”

“Good luck!” Pinkie Pie called out as her friends left the bakery, waving her hooves in the air.

“So it's probably safe to assume that that Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash both got roses as well.” Starlight reasoned while they walked away from Sugar Cube Corner. As she spoke they saw Rainbow Dash flying overhead towards the school.

“Rainbow Dash!” Twilight called as she waved at her friend.

Rainbow Dash stopped suddenly then flew down to meet with her friends. “Hey. I was just going to the school to grab a couple ponies for a game of buckball.” She said as hovered near the group.

“Did you get a rose this morning?” Twilight asked as she walked towards her friend.

“Yeah.” Rainbow Dash was curious now. “Why?”

“We all got the same yellow roses and we're trying to find out whom gave them to us.” Rarity explained. “Would you happen to have any ideas?”

“Nope. But I didn't get a yellow rose, mine was white. Must be a different pony.” Rainbow Dash said with a smile.

“Huh, I wonder why the rest of us would get yellow, but you get white.” Rarity thought aloud as she paced. “The easiest explanation would be a different stallion, but then it's too big a coincidence that the rest of us would get yellow.”

“Well, we don't know about Fluttershy yet.” Twilight said. “Maybe she got a different color as well.”

“Right. We must go see her at once.” Rarity decided. “I believe she was planning on being at her sanctuary today.”

“Y'know. You seem pretty calm about havin' an admirer for being so adamant about not actually datin' James.” Applejack said with a sly grin as she approached Rainbow Dash.

“When you're as awesome as I am, it's bound to happen a few times.” Rainbow Dash said with a smile.

“So what if Fluttershy has a different rose too?” Starlight asked as she and Rarity began to walk off.

“Then the odds of it simply being a coincidence that we all got the same kind of rose are more than we thought. But if her's is yellow too than maybe just Rainbow Dash's came from a different stallion.” Rarity explained.

“But then it's still too big a coincidence that only Rainbow Dash's is different. Unless you think James gave her the rose.” Starlight pondered the thought a moment. “I know what I'm inviting by saying this, but I could see it.”

“It could be a few things, unfortunately I won't be able to come to any conclusions until we have more information. But Rainbow Dash's white rose is definitely significant.” Rarity was ignoring everyone else as she mentally analyzed every detail she currently knew about the roses. From who had the roses and where they were found. Nothing was too fine a detail to overlook.

***

“It's okay.” Sweetie Belle said with a smile. “I know it can be intimidating to tell somepony that you care about them. But if you practice you'll be able to walk up to that pony you care about and tell them yourself instead of leaving a flower for them and hoping they figure out without any hints.” She and her friends were in the clubhouse talking with a young colt who's legs quaked as he looked to the three girls.

“What?” The young colt asked as he gave Sweetie Belle a curious look.

“It's just a general example.” Apple Bloom said as she began to push the trembling colt forward. “Now pretend Scootaloo is the pony you want to talk to and go say hi. Give her a compliment and maybe ask her if she'll be your special somepony.”

“Unless she is your crush, then you can just tell us.” Sweetie Belle said as she walked next to the colt.

Scootaloo stood near the podium of the clubhouse, smiling and still wearing the rainbow afro wig.

The trembling colt tried to dig his heals in as Apple Bloom pushed, the scraping of his hooves against the wood seemed to get louder as he got closer. His eyes were wide in terror as he looked to the smiling pegasus he was slowly moving towards. Without warning he turned to the side and ran for the door. “I can't do this!” He shouted as he ran off while Apple Bloom fell face first onto the floor of the clubhouse.

“Wait!” Sweetie Belle called after him as he vanished into the distance. “Who's your crush?”

Apple Bloom still lay on the floor as she looked up. “Are all colts really like this? That's the fourth one to run off just pretending that we're the pony they have a crush on.”

Scootaloo walked up and offered Apple Bloom her hoof, helping her stand back up. “Yeah, but two others managed to walk up and say hi.” Scootaloo said once Apple Bloom was standing again.

“Yeah, and that's all.” Sweetie Belle complained. “How does anypony ever have a date on Hearts and Hooves day if they never talk to the pony they like?”

“We are only meeting with the shy ponies.” Scootaloo said as she walked forward.

“I think I'm done trying to find whoever gave us these roses.” Sweetie Belle said. “If I obsess over it it's just going to make me feel bad again. I've already got my two best friends here, what more do I need?”

“Yeah, if they really want us to know who they are they'll come and talk to us.” Apple Bloom said as she walked forward.

“We still have the costumes.” Scootaloo happily said.

The three fillies laughed as they let go of their concern about secret admirers and decided to have fun instead.

***

Fluttershy quietly hummed as she walked around taking care of the animals. She'd had a nice morning so far and the rose she found at the entrance of Sweet Feathers Sanctuary had only made it nicer. It was another pleasant surprise when her friends approached her.

“Hello everypony.” Fluttershy happily said. “What brings you out here today?” She asked with a smile.

“Hi.” Twilight said as they approached. “We were wondering if you got a rose this morning too.”

“Oh my.” She quietly gasped. “Did everypony get one?”

“Yeah, we did.” Applejack said as she sat down near her friend.

“What color is yours?” Rarity asked as she approached.

“I've got it right here.” Fluttershy said with a smile, bringing out a long stemmed yellow rose, just like the others.

“I see.” Rarity said as she looked at it. “And where did you find it?”

Fluttershy didn't know why they were so interested in them, it's not like it was something dangerous, or anything other than nice even. “It was at the entrance to the sanctuary.” She calmly said. “Why? What's going on?”

“I don't have enough yet to come to any solid conclusions, but it is getting clearer.” Rarity said as she began pouring over the clues now that she had a slightly more complete picture. Unfortunately it wasn't more than she had assumed. But there was something there, she just knew it.

“We all got roses this morning, too carefully placed for them to be intended for anypony else. And except for Rainbow Dash's they're all yellow.” Starlight said.

“Yes, clearly there's some kind of reason for her's to be different. If all of us got yellow and only hers was different it must mean something.” Rarity said, as much to herself as to the others. There was only one connection that they all shared that singled Rainbow Dash out, but she knew that James was spending the day in New Guardia. She had jokingly asked if he had been planning a date with Rainbow Dash and had gotten his day's agenda.

“Oh, well it's nice to know somepony appreciates us. And it is a lovely flower.” Fluttershy said as she looked at her rose again.

“Yeah, I just wish whoever it was could come forward and tell us. Even if they do like all of us I'd rather know than have to guess all day.” Twilight said, unable to hide the irritation in her voice.

“I want to know too, but if they're not gonna tell us there's no point gettin' upset about it.” Applejack said. “I mean I'll take that over somepony acting a fool tryin' to get my attention again.”

“Well, nopony's ever left me something for Hearts and Hooves day before.” Twilight said as she rolled the rose over in her hooves, looking down at it dejected.

“Ah, don't worry sugar cube.” Applejack said as she got up and placed her foreleg around Twilight's shoulders. Now she saw why this was such a big deal for her friend. “We'll find out who they are, even if it means lookin' the rest of the day.”

“Yeah, Ponyville's not that big. I'm sure we'll find them soon enough.” Rainbow Dash added as she landed beside Twilight and gave her a smile.

“Well, I would understand if they're nervous to talk to us. Telling somepony that you like them can be terrifying.” Fluttershy said.

***

Even though she was disappointed that they were no closer to finding their anonymous gifter, Twilight was glad to be sharing this experience with her friends. As the day went on she began to think less about how she had felt and more about enjoying the day. Pinkie Pie joining them after she closed Sugar Cube Corner that evening.

“Yeah, Cinnamon Sticks is nice. I'm just glad mine wasn't Zephyr Breeze.” Rainbow Dash said as the group traveled towards the castle. As she had said earlier, Ponyville wasn't that big and eventually they had stopped asking around.

“How do you know that Rainbow Dash? Yours was the only rose that was different.” Starlight asked with a wicked grin.

“Because Zepher wouldn't do anything this nice.” Rainbow Dash said flatly as Fluttershy giggled.

“Alright.” Starlight conceded. “But you know who it wouldn't bother me to have gotten this rose from? … Burnt Oak.”

“My father's friend?” Applejack asked, astonished.

“I didn't say that's who I want it to be from.” Starlight said quickly. “Just that it wouldn't bother me. He's nice, and for an older pony he still looks good. Also, I could listen to him talk for hours.” Starlight admitted.

“I think I'd be happier with somepony closer to my age.” Twilight said with a smile. She giggled as she remembered Hearts and Hooves day while she was growing up. “Actually, when I was a filly, there was a pegasus in Canterlot who was a hopeless romantic. He spent every Hearts and Hooves day serenading any filly who'd listen to him.”

“Oh my.” Rarity chuckled. “Whatever happened to the poor colt?”

Twilight shook her head as she smiled. “I don't know, we never really talked. Maybe he came by Ponyville to try his luck here.” The whole group laughed at the suggestion as they walked into the castle.

“Well, the day may have been a disappointment with the roses, but I think we had more fun today than we would have if we had found the stallion.” Rarity said as they continued to walk towards the library.

“Well, the day's not over yet. I've got Dragon Pit if anypony's up for a game.” Starlight offered.

“Speaking of games, I would have thought Spike would be back by now.” Twilight said as she looked into his room.

“Oh, where'd he go?” Rarity asked.

“He went to play Dungeons and Dragons with James and Lucca today, but it's got to be almost morning there by now. You don't think they played all night do you?” Twilight asked as she looked past the library door.

“We can always go check.” Rainbow Dash casually suggested.

“Dungeons and Dragons …” Starlight had heard of the game before, but she couldn't remember much about it. “Isn't that the game you told me James had Discord help him use to teach his first class at the school?”

“Yes. It's similar to Ogres and Oubliettes, one of Spike's favorite games.” Twilight said.

“Yeah, and with Discord playing it's awesome!” Rainbow Dash said. “He makes the game come to life, literally. … Otherwise it's just a lot of math and really boring.”

“I bet Big Mac's gonna be disappointed he missed out on the game, but I think he's happier with Sugar Belle today.” Applejack said with a grin.

“We may as well drop in and see how they're doing.” Starlight said with a shrug.

The windows were only barely beginning to lighten up as the group walked into New Guardia from their doorway. So as not to risk waking anyone up they took a roundabout route to the teleportation hub eventually leading them to the holosuites.

“So how do we talk to them if they're in there?” Applejack asked as they looked at the doors.

Starlight cleared her throat before speaking clearly towards a door. “NG-com connect seven suites to the current game. Observer mode.” She turned to find the rest of the group looking at her. She awkwardly laughed and rubbed the back of her head as the doors started to open. “I come here a lot.”

Each pony entered their own suite and quickly found themselves in well lit gray stone tunnels wide enough to allow them to pass through two at a time, but no larger. In the distance they could hear Spike and Discord arguing about what direction they should go next.

“Well maybe if we had some sort of map we could find our way to where the dwarfs were asking us to go.” Spike argued.

“A map isn't too useful when you're dealing with illusory walls and teleportation runes.” Discord countered.

“I think you just like that we're lost.” Spike said as they continued.

“As a matter of fact, I do. It's much more fun when we stumble onto the right path then simply walking from point A to point B.” Discord said haughtily.

“Maybe we can do this later.” Lucca said. “I heard something coming. Your squabbling has attracted monsters.”

“Not monsters.” Starlight called. “We just thought we'd come and say hi.”

“Are you in as observers or players?” James called.

“Observers.” Starlight answered.

“Then just use the command function “to players” so you don't have to get lost like we did.” Lucca instructed.

“If my magic seemed to work in here I could do that with a snap of my claws.” Discord said.

From there it didn't take a moment for the group to find themselves in a large open room with the four players.

“It works.” James began to explain. “It just doesn't effect these particular illusions.”

“What's everypony doing here?” Spike asked as he looked to the group.

“We just thought we'd come by and say hi since you've spent all day playing this game.” Twilight said as she walked up to Spike.

“Wow, really? Is Hearts and Hooves day already over?” Spike asked.

“For us it is. We've been on a wild goose chase all day tryin' to find out just who left us these flowers.” Applejack explained.

While they talked Pinkie Pie ran off down one tunnel only to appear back with the group before laughing and running off down another tunnel once again appearing nearby.

“Sorry about that.” James said sucking his teeth and in general looking guilty.

“It's alright. It's not like you had anything to do with it.” Rainbow Dash said with a shrug.

“Actually … I did. I dropped them off first thing in the morning to give you all a surprise.” James explained. “I was hoping it would be a nice one.”

“What?!” The girls all said at once, Rainbow Dash blushing deeply as she heard the confession.

“I thought I'd leave something nice for you today. Of course I couldn't just leave any rose …” James said before being interrupted by Lucca.

“James, if you're about to say what I think you are I'm going to smack you.” Lucca warned.

James pointedly took a large step away from Lucca before he started talking again. “Where I'm from the color of a rose usually matters when you give it as a gift …”

Lucca rushed over and smacked the back of James's head. “Nobody get's that! Ever!” She scolded.

James rubbed the back of his head as he continued. “Yellow means friendship.”

“I had no idea.” Rarity said as she examined her rose again. “It is a lovely color. Thank you very much for the thought.”

“Okay, but what does white mean?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“White means purity. Basically it's the rose people would give to someone in their family. Red means passion, pink means romance.” James said as he looked to her.

Lucca hung her head. “James, it's archaic and nobody pays attention to that anymore. Besides nobody ever really knew what was what.”

“It's why people still use a red rose when they tango.” James said with a smile.

“Also because everyone grows red roses!” Lucca said.

“In any case, it seems I owe these ladies a nice end to their day since my mistake wasted so much of it.” James said as he approached the ponies. “That is, of course, if you aren't opposed to a friendly date.”

Lucca really wanted to make a joke right now, but with the girls here it probably wouldn't be the best thing for her to do. Besides, Twilight and Starlight actually looked happy at the suggestion.

But when James got back she'd let him have it.

***

Applejack hummed to herself as she walked back into her home that night. Hearing her, Apple Bloom was quick to run up to investigate. “You were out late.” Apple Bloom happily said. “Did you have a date tonight?” She added with a sly smile.

Applejack chuckled. “Not exactly sugar cube. Just enjoyed the day with my friends.”

Apple Bloom nodded as she turned back for her room. “Yeah, I did too after I gave up searching for my secret admirer.”

“Aww, my little sister has an admirer.” Applejack said as she rubbed her sister's head.

Apple Bloom looked up at her sister and caught a glimpse of a little color on the brim of her sister's hat. It didn't take long to realize just what it was. With a gasp she spoke up. “Applejack, where'd you get that rose?”

After the day she had she'd forgotten it was still there. “Oh, this. Well, I thought that I might have an admirer too when I found it on my windowsill this mornin'. But it seems what I did have was a good friend who wanted to make my Hearts and Hooves day a little brighter than it already was.”

“I got a yellow rose too!” She happily said. “ … Do you think that's what happened with me too?”

Applejack smiled down at her. “Well I know the rose was from a friend. But I'm sure someday you'll have a special somepony all your own to enjoy Hearts and Hooves day with.”

***

The sun was getting low in the sky as a familiar form walked into the throne room of Celestia's castle. To James's relief both princesses were there as he arrived. “Nice to see you today.” He calmly said as he approached the dais.

“It is a pleasure to see you today James.” Luna said as he approached. “And we certainly appreciate the roses.”

James chuckled as he heard her mention the roses. “It was a bit obvious, huh.” He calmly said.

“There aren't many who could so easily reach where you had placed the roses without us knowing.” Celestia said with her ever present smile.

“Unfortunately my plan wasn't as well thought out as I had hoped as I missed a crucial detail. My friends in Ponyville mistook the gift as romantic and spent the day in search of someone who wasn't there.” James explained. “I find myself once again apologizing for a misunderstanding I am solely at fault for.”

Luna shook her head as she walked down from the dais. “It is not really your fault, the meaning behind a roses color passed from general knowledge a long time ago. Very few these days would understand the message of friendship you offered on a day for close bonds.”

James grinned at the confirmation that his old knowledge wasn't wholly inaccurate.

“Thank you. Unfortunately there are a few who will have to wait until morning for an apology.” James said. “If either of you have some free time to enjoy I'll treat you to whatever you like as a proper apology for the confusion I caused. Or just to enjoy some time away if you’d rather.”

***

James sipped at the still hot tea that had been carefully cultivated and freshly prepared. It had a delicate taste and just a hint of honey, just what the cool winter day called for.

“So how did everything go?” Asgore calmly asked before taking another sip of tea himself.

“Well it just wouldn't be me if things went right, but I think it turned out well. Your roses were the real star of the show though. Thanks to you those girls had an unforgettable day.”

Asgore chuckled lightly. “It's nice to know my work is appreciated.”

James quickly swallowed his tea, coughing as a little went down his windpipe. “Speaking of your flowers, actually, my anniversary with Lucca is coming up in a couple weeks. Think I could get a bouquet in that time?”

Asgore looked behind him to the coolers filled with fresh flowers, knowing full well that Lucca's favorite were in his indoor garden downstairs. “I think that can be arranged.” He said with a smile.

“Yeah, let's just avoid the yellow ones this year.” James said, nodding.

Asgore smiled at James. There were some good points about being his official florist. “I can certainly do that.”

“You're a life saver.” James said before drinking more of his tea. “Also, I know a lady who would love to have tea with us sometime.”

Author's Note:

Thought I’d try my hand at a hearts and hooves day story. It references another story I wrote that I may post, but that would probably be under mature. Also I knew several girls who would talk about who they would like to have a crush on them. It seemed weird, but they had fun with it.

And let's not forget that there is no consensus on the whole meaning of the color of roses (that I could find), making the whole gesture pointless.

PreviousChapters Next