• Published 3rd May 2019
  • 2,506 Views, 92 Comments

The Line Between Fire and Light - Stolenalicorn



A father goes to great lengths to find his daughter’s heroes and finds something he wasn't looking for ... friends.

  • ...
13
 92
 2,506

PreviousChapters Next
65 Applejack's Massage

Applejack sat down to rest as she looked out over all the work that had been done recently. It felt good to know they’d accomplished so much during the confluence and all the time she spent bonding with her little sister.

Unfortunately as she had played with Apple Bloom she must have miss-stepped or something and suddenly it felt as though a knife had gone through her thigh. She had grit her teeth and pushed through it, and the sharp pain had now lost it's edge. However, she'd occasionally move it wrong and the pain would come back with almost doubled intensity.

That had been days ago and now the ache was starting to spread. With a huff and a groan of discomfort she stood up and decided that maybe a visit to the hospital wouldn’t be a terrible idea.

She didn’t dislike the hospital, she’d mostly gotten over that years ago. All the same though, she didn’t go unless she had to go.

***

“Ah, Applejack. We don’t see you here often.” The doctor said with a smile. “So what’s bothering you today?”

“Didn’t the nurse tell you?” Applejack asked. She never understood why she’d have to repeat herself over and over again on the few times she would come to the hospital.

“Yes, she mentioned it, but only you know what it really feels like.” He commented. “I can ask you questions she can't answer.”

“Ah.” Okay, that made sense. “Well, it happened a couple days ago while workin’ the fields. I got a real sharp pain in my flank. Well it’s not so sharp now but it’s still there.”

“I see. Do you mind if I do a couple tests.” The doctor asked.

“’Course not.” Applejack answered before laying down at the doctor's request. That's why she was here after all.

“Now tell me whenever something I do hurts … or hurts more.” The doctor began gently prodding her flank watching her twitch a few times as he did. He then began moving her leg around, even hearing her yelp a couple times. Though she never did actually say anything hurt.

He shook his head as he began writing several things on his chart. “Now Applejack, you can’t expect me to always find out what’s wrong if you don’t tell me anything.”

Applejack blushed slightly. “Sorry Doc, I’m used to things hurting from workin' on the farm so I just don’t talk about it.”

“I can tell.” He said calmly. “So it looks to me like you just over did it. There are a few things we can do but I think there’s two good options here. First would be bed rest, take a week or so off and relax.”

Applejack scoffed at the option. She had too much work to do to take more than a day or two away, both on the farm and at the school. She was quietly grateful this didn’t happen sooner though.

“And the second would be massage as needed. Obviously I’d recommend the Ponyville Day Spa. Just go with what they would suggest.” The doctor said as he wrote down a slip for the Spa ponies to know just where the problem was. “Now it'll hurt at first, but once your leg relaxes you'll feel much better.”

Applejack chuckled as she jumped down from the table wincing at the pain as she hit the ground. “Well, if a massage are my orders I’ll not complain and get right on that.” She said with a smile. “Thank you kindly, doctor.”

***

Applejack clearly favored her injured leg as she walked across Ponyville to the spa. But was actually happy that the doctor's orders were to visit the spa, it had been a long time since she was able to justify a visit. Of course she was going to start with a steam, that was a given. Maybe I should have stopped by and asked Rarity if she wanted to join me.

Had she been paying attention at the moment she would have seen the note on the Spa and not walked right into the door. After shaking her head and cursing under her breath she finally looked at the note attached to the door.

“So sorry for the inconvenience. The Spa is temporarily closed for an industry conference in Manehatten and yearly maintenance. We will return in two weeks.”

Applejack read the note in disbelief. She needed this massage! She actually needed it! She couldn’t take a week for bed rest let alone two to wait for the Spa to open back up.

Well she was stuck. All she could do was wait and hope it got better on it’s own and get a massage in two weeks if it didn't.

***

It was a couple days before Twilight visited the farm looking to visit her friend who had been curiously hard to reach lately. Everything looked okay from a distance, Applejack looked a little sluggish as she walked past the window but otherwise everything looked fine. It wasn't until she had gotten closer that she could see that her friend was limping.

“Applejack.” Twilight gently said, getting Applejack's attention. “What happened?”

“Oh, it’s nothin’. Just got a little sore the other day.” Applejack said dismissively, hoping to not have to answer anything more about it. Even though, realistically, she knew that she would.

“You should get a massage, you’ll be feeling better in no time.” Twilight said happily.

Applejack nodded. “I would, but the Spa’s closed for more’n a week still.”

Twilight knew that, and that's not what she was suggesting. With a sly grin she looked to Applejack. “Lucky for us we don’t need the spa to get massages.”

“Ah come on Twilight. It’s weird.” Applejack insisted, it was bad enough Rarity had been suggesting it to her since she learned it was an option. And then there was Rainbow Dash who was obvious when she had just had one. Avoiding this was the reason she'd been distant the last few days.

“Applejack.” Twilight’s tone went from friendly to concerned as she looked to her friend. “He’s our friend, and you’re in pain. At least talk to him. Maybe …”

“I’ll be alright sugar cube.” Applejack interrupted as the timer for the pies in the oven chimed. “Pardon me.”

Twilight looked into the kitchen as Applejack limped away, seeing that she had her left hind leg raised as she moved. “That’s not a little sore.” Twilight commented as Applejack came back to the window.

“I’ll be fine once the spa opens back up.” Applejack countered as she looked away.

“Maybe the hospital can help if you won’t ask James.” Twilight suggested as she adjusted the pies to get a clear look at her friend's face.

“Doctor's the one who told me to get a massage.” Applejack quietly said.

“Then you know what you need to do.” Twilight urged. “I’m asking, as your friend, don't let a little awkwardness keep you in pain.”

“I can handle it Twilight.” Applejack insisted as she forced her leg down to the ground. She was surprised at just how stiff it had gotten in the two days from when she looked for treatment. Even though she didn’t put any weight on it the act of simply moving made it scream in agony and her face showed her pain. Her left flank periodically twitching despite her trying to hold it still.

Twilight sighed as she shook her head. “I’ll talk to you later Applejack.” She said as she walked away from the farmhouse. She wasn’t going to leave it at that but Applejack was clearly being stubborn again. She needed backup.

***

Twilight called the rest of her friends to the castle, they had to come up with a way to help Applejack. While she was now willing to accept help, she was no less stubborn. This normally wasn't an issue, but with everything they had going on and Xellos being an ambiguous threat in the background they needed to help each other out whenever possible.

“Oh my, what’s wrong with Applejack?” Fluttershy asked as she looked to Twilight.

“She’s hurt and the doctor recommended a massage.” Twilight began to explain.

“The poor dear.” Rarity cut in in a sympathetic tone. “And the spa’s closed for the next week and a half.”

“If she were just willing to ask James this wouldn’t be a problem.” Rainbow Dash huffed. “But she says it’s ‘weird.’” She made air quotes as she finished speaking.

“Ooh, maybe we can bring James over in the middle of the night, sneak him into Applejack’s room while she’s sleeping and he can give her a surprise massage!” Pinkie Pie said excitedly as she thought about it. “I mean who doesn’t love surprises?!” She smiled wide as she looked around the room. Everyone was staring at her shocked at the suggestion.

Rarity cleared her throat before talking. “I believe that would not be a good idea.” She carefully said.

“We have to do something. If she's not going to ask for help, maybe we can take some of her chores for her.” Twilight said. It didn't even take more than a suggestion for everyone to agree. Their friend needed help, in one way or another.

***

It was Rarity who first arrived on Sweet Apple Acres, she may not know much about farm work, but she did know about sore muscles and had a suggestion that could help for now. And she'd been friends with Applejack long enough that she did know a few chores she could help with.

Applejack wasn’t too hard to find, even limping she was still going around the farm handling her chores. Rarity sighed as she easily caught up to her at a casual walk. “Applejack, dear.” She said as she kept pace alongside her friend. “You really must take some time to care for yourself.”

“I’ll slow down as soon as I finish my chores.” Applejack grunted through her pain.

“Perhaps a short break. Some heat on your leg should help you feel much better.” Rarity insisted.

“Granny Smith said the same thing. And it does … but not for as long as it takes for it to start fealin' better in the first place. I just have to wait for the spa to open back up before I can really do anythin' about this.”

Knowing already what her reaction would be, Rarity was hesitant to make the suggestion but she felt she had to. “You really don’t have to wait. James is quite good and can be very gentle if that’s what you want.”

“No Rarity. I’m sure he’s great an all, but I just ain't comfortable with him givin' me a massage.” Applejack insisted.

“But why darling?” Rarity asked, very confused about the situation.

“Because I ain't. End of story. Now I appreciate the visit but I’ve still got a lot of work to do here.” Applejack said sternly as she limped off.

Rarity walked off to ask Granny Smith if there were any chores she could take from Applejack. With her current attitude, Applejack would probably stubbornly refuse to let her help with any of the work.

***

Applejack was taking a rest as she brought the pigs their food, she was so close to the pigpen now but just had to stop for a minute. She was getting frustrated that everything was taking so long, and between Twilight and Rarity pressuring her to go get a massage from James she was not having a good day.

It was almost a relief when Fluttershy flew up to her. “Ooh, here let me get that for you.” Fluttershy offered as she took the bucket meant for the pigs and flying the rest of the way to the pigpen. “Okay you cute little piggies you.” She cooed. “Come and get your food.”

“That’s alright Fluttershy I’ve got …” Applejack started to say before watching Fluttershy pour their food into the trough as the pigs rushed over and eagerly ate. “Well I’ll be.” She said astonished as Fluttershy pet several of the pigs over the fence and giggled happily.

“Did you already collect the eggs?” Fluttershy asked with a smile as she flew back over to Applejack.

“Uhh, not yet.” Applejack said, not knowing for sure what Fluttershy’s intention was. She appreciated the help, and she quietly hoped help was all she came for.

“Okay.” Fluttershy said with a smile. “I’ll be right back.” Without another word she flew off to the chicken coops and in just a couple minutes came back with several large baskets of eggs.

As Applejack thought about it it did make sense that Fluttershy would be really good with the farm animals. And it was nice to have these chores at least taken care of.

“Thank you Fluttershy.” Applejack said with a smile. “I just go to get out to …”

Fluttershy smiled and shook her head. “Pinkie is helping Big Mac and Apple Bloom in the field.”

“Pinkie Pie?” Applejack asked with genuine concern.

“Pshaw.” Pinkie huffed dismissively as she popped up behind Applejack. “You’re not the only pony to grow up on a farm you know.”

“You grew up on a rock farm Pinkie.” Applejack clarified.

“I know.” Pinkie happily said. “Bucking trees is so much less work. Don’t worry about a thing, we’ve got it all well in hoof.” She said as she waved it off casually.

“Uhm. Pinkie?” Fluttershy quietly asked. “Aren’t you supposed to actually be in the field helping?”

“Ooh, right.” Pinkie squeaked before running off.

“Y’all aren’t trying to talk me into getting a massage from James too, are you?” Applejack asked. She wanted to think they were only here to help, but after Twilight and Rarity she couldn't help but think it was inevitable.

“Oh no. We’re here to help you until you get better.” Fluttershy said with a nod. “I'll take care of all these cute little farm animals and Pinkie Pie helps out in the field.”

“I appreciate this, but y’all’ve got your own stuff too. Like your sanctuary and Pinkie working at Sugar Cube corner.” Applejack argued.

“Well figure something out.” Fluttershy said. “Do you mind me asking why you’re not comfortable with getting a massage from James? He’s very gentle and he has such lovely smelling oils he uses. Is it because you don't want to admit you might need his help?”

“Uhhh. No. I just think it’s kinda weird and I’m not comfortable with it.” Applejack said.

“Ooh!” Pinkie Pie said as she appeared again. “Maybe it’s because they fought when he didn’t remember anything so now it’s just weird because he remembers the fight and everything gets awkward!”

“Just weird Pinkie. Ain’t you s’posed to be helping in the fields?” Applejack mentioned.

“Nope.” Pinkie happily replied. “Field work’s done for the day. We’ll see you tomorrow Applejack!” Pinkie waved as she bounced away.

“How far behind was I?” Applejack quietly asked herself.

“Oh. Well, I guess I’ll go too … Unless there’s anymore animals that need to be taken care of today.” Fluttershy offered with a wide smile.

“Not today really.” Applejack said. “Granny milked the cows earlier.”

“Alright. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Fluttershy said before flying back to the pig pen to pet the pigs.

Applejack slowly stood up and limped over to the barn. She knew she shouldn’t feel like she was a burden right now, but she really couldn’t help it. She was moving slower each day, the pain wasn't getting any better and there was just too much to do to take the time to recover.

***

That evening Rainbow Dash found Applejack behind the barn just staring at the planter bed where she would grow Senzu. James insisted that they grew surprisingly well here, but they still took longer than any normal bean plant with a surprisingly small harvest.

Between that and the fact that she was just in pain and not seriously injured it felt like it would be a waste of the thing just to use one for her hurt leg. Then again Rainbow Dash had used them for …

“Hey A.J.” Rainbow Dash said happily as she landed behind the distracted pony.

“I ain't goin’ Rainbow Dash.” Applejack said immediately.

“I wasn’t going to suggest you go anywhere. You’re pretty stubborn, and since you’ve decided not to ask James for help I know you’re going to stick to it. So I brought you something instead.” Rainbow Dash said as she sat by Applejack.

Applejack turned her head to face her. “Thanks. I guess with everypony tryin' to get me to go or figure out why I wont I expected it even more from you.”

“I’ll still try to find out, just not right now. Here.” Rainbow Dash said as she tossed a small tin to Applejack who caught it easily.

“Rainbow Dash, this here’s wing balm. I ain’t got wings.” Applejack said as she inspected the tin.

“Duh.” Rainbow Dash said as she rolled her eyes. “But I use it all the time when my wings are stiff and sore, which happens a lot with the Bolts. It’s the same idea: muscles and joints hurt and the balm helps them feel better. Give it a try.”

Applejack had nothing to lose for trying so with a shrug she opened the tin. “Rainbow Dash.” She calmly said as she looked inside the tin.

“What? Need some help rubbing it on?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“No … It’s solid.” Applejack turned the tin upside down and a disk of solidified semiclear balm fell out and hit the ground. “Y'all use it all the time?”

Rainbow Dash blushed as she looked away. “Okay. Maybe James uses it on me all the time and my emergency supply is locked up at Wonderbolts headquarters. If you want I can fly off and get you one I know is still good.”

“Nah, thanks for the offer though.” Applejack said as she closed the tin and began to stand, yelping as even moving was causing her leg pain. She wobbled a bit as she tried to stand and fight through the pain.

Rainbow Dash hurried over and helped her until she wasn’t shaky anymore. It was more important that her friend get help than to be the one friend who didn't pressure her. “Alright A.J. I’ve got an idea, but you might think it’s a bit weird.”

“Right now I don’t much care what it is, I’ll give it a shot.” Applejack said through a grimace as she hobbled forward.

“Great!” Rainbow Dash happily said. “Okay, so doing this is super easy … Go ask James. Seriously, he knows what he’s doing.”

“Nope.” Applejack said suddenly, setting her jaw firm against the suggestion.

“Oh come on! Seriously?” Rainbow Dash moaned as she slowly walked beside her friend. “What’s so weird about it? It can’t be because he’s a guy, Bulk Biceps is one of the best in the spa and nopony minds that he’s a guy.”

“Nope. It’s just weird.” Applejack said, not looking at Rainbow Dash.

“There’s got to be a reason. I mean, he’s our friend. …” Rainbow Dash said as she tried to think about just why it could be. “Seriously, what is it?”

Applejack had had enough of everyone guessing why it was, they were all obsessed with this and if everyone wanted to know so badly she was going to tell them. She stopped and winced in pain as she slowly turned to face Rainbow Dash. “Fine, you wanna know the truth. It ain't that he’s a guy, it ain't that I don't want his help, and it ain't that we had a fight. It’s ‘cause he’s a flirt!” She shouted. Her outburst done Applejack turned and hobbled off again as she collected herself. That’s when she heard the first sputter from Rainbow Dash. Applejack huffed, knowing full well what was coming.

Rainbow Dash tried to hold her laughter back as long as she could, but it was hopeless. In a few seconds she was rolling on the ground laughing. “It’s weird ‘cause he flirts?” She continued to laugh for a minute before she got herself under control enough to get back up and catch up with Applejack.

“Y’all done?” Applejack asked seriously.

Rainbow Dash looked at her for a moment before she shook her head and started laughing again, though not as hard. Eventually this too subsided and Rainbow Dash was able to talk again. “You know you can always tell him to stop.” She chuckled.

“I know.” Applejack admitted with a hint of a blush. “But it's kinda nice when he does. It ain't like he does it all the time neither, just a little word here or a compliment there. He appreciates me and compliments me on who I am and not just how I look. No matter how busy we get he’ll find a moment to slip somethin’ in. He don't act like some lovesick fool either. He’s just my friend sayin' way too nice things to me.”

Rainbow Dash smiled. “Do you have a crush on him?” She coyly asked.

“Nah.” Applejack calmly answered. “But he cares an awful lot about us … all of us. And even though I don't have a crush on him, I do like the flirting.”

“Heh, yeah.” Rainbow Dash quietly said, thinking about her own feelings for James. She still had so many questions, but she was starting to get her own answers.

“What?” Applejack asked, turning to look at her.

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll get James, you’ll feel better and probably more comfortable around him after.” Rainbow Dash said as she began to walk ahead.

“Can we wait till morning at least? He’s still got work to do too.” Applejack asked, defeated. Her leg just hurt too much and she was tired of fighting.

“Sure.” Rainbow Dash said casually. “I was gonna stop by his place for breakfast anyway.”

“Talk to you later Rainbow Dash.” Applejack said as her friend walked off.

“Later.” Rainbow Dash casually called back before taking to the air.

With a sigh Applejack limped back home.

***

That night Applejack couldn’t sleep. Every time she actually started sleeping she’d roll over or twitch or something that caused her leg to thump in agony. This was just too much, she couldn’t wait any longer and had to go get this handled now.

Slowly and painfully she climbed out of bed before leaving the farm to go to the large crystal tree that was both her friend’s home and path to her other friend’s home. At least she didn’t have to worry about waking him up right now. She felt guilty enough that she was going to be asking for this.

***

James was at work in his study as he heard the unusual steps coming through the halls, he knew it had to be one of the girls but clearly something was wrong. Visions of Xellos hurting them ran through his mind as he gripped the hilt of his sword of light rushed over to investigate, hoping desperately that he was wrong.

Rounding the corner he found Applejack sitting on the floor with her head bowed and panting. Her face scrunched up and clearly telling him that she was in pain.

“What’s wrong?” James asked. He’d never seen her this exhausted before. Was it a fight? Was it really that bad? He took a couple steps closer and knelt down, moving his hand from the hilt to her shoulder. Thankfully he didn't see any injuries so hopefully it was something other than the mazoku.

Applejack looked up at him, his obvious sympathy and concern didn't make this any easier. In fact it made things a little harder. She didn’t want to admit what she needed, especially after all the help he had given her recently with the confluence, but couldn't keep denying that she needed it as it wasn't getting any better. “I … Well, the other day somethin' happened and it suddenly felt like a knife was sticking into my flank.”

James nodded, relieved that it was just Applejack working too hard, though he felt for her all the same. “I'm sorry to hear that. Though honestly I was expecting Big Mac to be in worse shape.” He smiled as he looked directly in her eyes. “You can never take it easy when there’s work to do.” He added gently.

Applejack looked away for a moment when she felt his gaze. She didn't want to see that look of concern from him, or even his smile, right now. She felt helpless, and she hated it.

“Let me just do a quick scan here to see if the problem is more than a torn muscle.” James calmly said as his omnitool blinked to life.

Applejack nodded as James began the scan and a minute later the readout gave him pretty much everything he needed to know. “Wow, uhm. Something you did really aggravated that nerve, and the torn muscle isn't healing properly because it won't relax thanks to that very nerve. I could get you to medical and they could give you muscle relaxants, but those would put you out of commission for a while. Besides, it’s better to not leap right to pharmaceuticals if it can be helped.”

“Yeah, my doctor at Ponyville General said I should probably just get a massage … but the spa’s closed.” Applejack admitted.

James nodded. “Honestly (and I'm only a medic) I'd think the same. That must really hurt. Come on, let’s get you to the study and taken care of.” He gently said as he knelt down lower and placed his forearm on the ground.

Applejack just looked to him and cocked her eyebrow. “I can get there myself.” She quietly said.

James chuckled slightly as he nodded. “Sorry, you know me. Any reason to get a cute girl in my arms.”

Despite her smile Applejack sighed and shook her head. With a grunt and shudder she his help to stand and leaned against him as best she could while James slowly brought her to his study.

With a little more help she climbed onto the couch and lay down. James could clearly see which leg was bothering her as she hadn’t moved it the entire time. He took her hat and placed it on the hook where he kept his bag of holding. He returned and knelt down next to Applejack where he held his hands over her and began whispering a low level healing spell, bathing her in a comforting white glow.

Applejack was a little anxious about everything going on, but she reminded herself that this was better than the alternative.

Applejack soon felt the pain ebb away as the spell worked on her, and chastised herself for not coming here sooner. If for no other reason than to have him use his magic. She was just so hung up on the massage she didn't even think about his other abilities.

“That should handle the swelling and torn muscle. But we still have to loosen the muscles and the nerve is going to have to recover on it's own or you'll get phantom pains for the next month or so. Now let’s get you loosened up so you can walk comfortably.” James commented.

Applejack wanted to jump down, thank him and leave now. But she had committed herself to doing this, and her flank still felt uncomfortably stiff. She hesitated but eventually nodded.

“And since your leg’s been like this for days this is going to have to be a bit more … personal than a normal massage.” James carefully said.

“What do you mean by ‘personal?’” Applejack asked nervously.

“I mean I’m going to be loosening up your hips and thighs working on both sides. This may get uncomfortable, but I promise you: I will not go further than I have to.” James calmly said. “And you can always tell me to stop.”

Applejack took a breath as she heard the explanation. If she had just come sooner she wouldn't be in this position. “I trust you.” She had to. Besides, if he weren't the guy she knew him to be there's no way her friends would insist so much that she do this … right?

She closed her eyes and laid on her side as James asked. This was about as uncomfortable as she was expecting and closing her eyes didn’t help at all.

Her other senses were busy telling her about what was going on at the moment. She could hear James get something from one of his cabinets, she heard as it’s screw top came off and he put the cap on his desk. There was a faint scent of something woody and earthy, it was actually very nice. She heard him put the bottle down then rub his wet hands together moments before she felt him touch her inner thigh and flank at the same time and began to work at the stiff muscle.

He must have spent an hour on her thigh alone, but the good news was that the muscle was finally loose and she was now resting comfortably on her stomach. She did have to admit that once her leg started feeling better the massage wasn’t as uncomfortable for her as she had been expecting.

It was still a surprise, though, when James’s hands started on her forelegs. “Uh, James. What are you doing?” She cautiously asked, keeping her eyes closed and her head on the pillow James had given her.

“Preventative care.” James calmly answered. “You work hard and only go to the spa with Rarity occasionally. As it is you’ll still need a few more to finish with your leg, I can come by your place or you can come back here. Whatever's more comfortable for you.”

“What?” Applejack asked as she looked up at James. She thought this would be it, once her leg felt better she'd not need it again.

“Magic healed the underlying problem, but the nerve is still aggravated and your leg is going to lock up occasionally. Doing this a few times for the next week or two will help keep your leg limber until you don’t need the massage anymore.” James explained. “Besides, you did say we don’t spend much time together as just the two of us. This seems like as good of a reason as any to do that. Did you want me to stop?”

Applejack thought a moment, the massage felt good and whatever he was rubbing on her smelled nice. “Nah.” She said as put her head back down on the pillow and closed her eyes. She was in over her head just like she feared, and worse than that was she was already looking forward to coming back.

“Besides,” James mentioned. “it’s late for you. Just relax and let me do my work.”

“I should probably get home and get to bed.” She said, not sure what time it was.

“No way AJ.” James said as he pressed on her back causing a loud series of pops. “If you try to walk all the way back to Sweet Apple Acres right now, your leg will lock back up on the way. No, you're sleeping right here.”

It was getting harder to stay awake as she thought about it. “Alright. I guess that wouldn’t be so bad.” She yawned as James continued to massage her. Slowly, comfortably, she drifted off to sleep.

***

“Ugh.” Rainbow Dash moaned, stopping a moment as she heard her stomach growl again. “Just a little longer Rainbow Dash.” She told herself. She had to tell James that Applejack needed help, but her stomach was really trying to make itself a priority.

She really shouldn’t have skipped dinner last night. Or did she skip it? She couldn’t remember if there was anything left in her fridge at all right now. That’s right, I need to get those dishes back here. Alecia’s asked me, like, twice now.

“In here, Rainbow Dash.” James quietly called as Rainbow Dash passed by his den.

“Oh, hey James. I thought you’d be working in your study.” She smiled as she turned to meet him.

“Yeah, it’s kind of occupied at the moment.” He said as she flew in and sat on his couch.

“Okay, well before breakfast I have to tell you …” She started to say before her stomach growled again, even louder than last time. “Shut up.” She growled back.

He chuckled at the scene before him. “Sounds like breakfast might have to come first.”

“Maybe.” Rainbow Dash said, standing back up and getting off the couch. “I mean, Fluttershy and Pinkie are helping out so it’s not like she needs to do anything other than rest.”

“Do you mean Applejack?”

“Yeah, did somepony else come by earlier and tell you about her leg?” She asked, glad that he already knew.

“Kind of. Applejack is in my study now sleeping on the couch. She got here about six hours ago.”

“Wait, she came by herself and asked for your help? Awesome! I was worried that we’d have to go with Pinkie’s idea and just get you to massage her in the middle of the night.” Rainbow Dash said as they walked out of the den.

“ … Okay, that would be creepy.” James said as they walked through the halls. I guess if figures that would be Pinkie's idea.

“Ooh, I know. Let’s bring Applejack along for breakfast. There's no way I can decide on anything, anyway. I’m so hungry that everything sounds good right now, even Vulcan food.” Rainbow Dash said, almost expecting her stomach to reply.

“I guess that means you've finished off the last of what Alecia packed for you.” James commented with a smile as they got to the door of the darkened study.

Author's Note:

Applejack always seemed like the stubborn one who wouldn't go see a doctor unless she was seriously hurt/sick. And now we get a little insight into her mindset when it comes to James. And why they don't spend much time together as just the two of them.

PreviousChapters Next