• Published 3rd May 2019
  • 2,515 Views, 92 Comments

The Line Between Fire and Light - Stolenalicorn



A father goes to great lengths to find his daughter’s heroes and finds something he wasn't looking for ... friends.

  • ...
12
 92
 2,515

PreviousChapters Next
34 A Taste of the Wild Blue Yonder

James couldn't help but imagine that Rainbow Dash was exaggerating as she described a ride that she had never even been on, but he let her continue as she was clearly having fun. Eventually she came to a skidding stop on the cobblestone road to Truce in front of him, smiling wide. “Doesn't that sound like the coolest?” She asked, still very excited from her own description.

James stopped walking as he thought about it. It had been a while since he had been on a good roller coaster. “Sounds good.” He said with a smile.
Rainbow Dash's smile faded as she looked to James. “You know, you really need to work on being excited.” She said as she pointed her hoof at him. “I mean, I know you're interested but that's only because I know you.”

James chuckled as Rainbow Dash started walking next to him. “Well I'll be sure to give it a try sometime.”

Rainbow Dash hurried back out in front of him once again, sometime wasn't going to be good enough. “The ride will be closing forever this week! You've got to get there soon.” Rainbow Dash stopped and considered what she just said, realizing that she hadn't even been on it yet. “I've got to get there soon.” Rainbow Dash jumped up and began flying back to New Guardia castle. “Sorry to bail on breakfast.” She called before speeding away.

It was nearly a week before James saw her again, and when she arrived she had pictures of her on the ride to share. “I can't believe you missed it.” Rainbow Dash said as she finished describing her trip. “I told you the ride was closing forever.” She said as she sat on the couch in James's den.

James was leaning against his chair as he grinned at Rainbow Dash. Given how infrequently the Epoch was actually used around the ponies it was forgivable that she would forget about it. “Don't you remember? I have a time machine. I can still go and ride it anytime I like.”

Rainbow Dash's jaw dropped, she had completely forgotten about the time machine. James never used it for anything serious anyway, and riding the Wild Blue Yonder was right along the lines of a reason to use it. She could ride it again anytime she wanted! “And we can all go sometime! Since I'm a member of the Golden Horseshoe Gals it can be my treat.”

James shook his head, it was pretty obvious that she still had trouble with some of the more important points of time travel. “Except that you weren't when the ride was still open. You told me you became a member on the ride home.”

Rainbow Dash's mood dropped as she remembered. Time travel was really frustrating. “So any benefits I have now don't apply in the past.” She muttered, frustrated.

“Now you get why I don't time travel for anything serious. It's just easier to go with nothing important to do.” James explained.

“You're right.” Rainbow Dash moaned. “But you've still got to go sometime.” She added quickly.

“Of course.” James said with a smile. “My schedule opens in a couple weeks. I'll bring Tali Lucca and the girls you grab Scootaloo, we'll all go and be back before you have to start classes.”

“Yes!” Rainbow Dash shouted as she jumped up in her excitement. Not only was she going to be able to ride her favorite roller coaster again, she could share it with her friends. Still in the air she rushed over and hugged James. “Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. This is going to be awesome!”

James smiled as he hugged her back. “Sometime I'll have to have you ride some of my favorite roller coasters.”

Rainbow Dash let go of him and sat in James's chair still facing him. “Wouldn't those be in the Holosuites? Not exactly exciting like a real roller coaster.”

James shrugged. “They are real roller coasters we just can't go to the world where they are real so I've got them simulated here.” James said before adding ominously. “And the ones that are only simulated are much more intense.”

“Sounds like a challenge.” Rainbow Dash said with a grin.

James sat down in his chair. “You're welcome to try them sometime.”

“Why not now?” Rainbow Dash asked. “Or are they too intense for you?” She added with a sly grin.

James had just opened his book when Rainbow Dash made the challenge. He chuckled and placed his book back down on the end table. “Alright, let's do this. When you're ready to give up just let me know.”

“Bring it on.” Rainbow Dash said as she got off the chair.

Author's Note:

I just wanted to write a bit of James Rainbow Dash interaction. I actually found I liked their interaction after the prank so I thought I would build on that. I'm sure it's not too popular but hopefully not upsetting.
Also, this one was really short.

PreviousChapters Next