• Published 27th Apr 2019
  • 15,366 Views, 5,873 Comments

The Equestrian Odyssey - A Tale of Two Worlds - Kamahido



Twilight accidently brings a human from Earth to Equestria. Will he be able to coexist with the equine inhabitants of this new land?

  • ...
74
 5,873
 15,366

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15 - Royal Ailments

Sometime later Twilight is able to compose herself. Arc reaches for a box of tissues on the nightstand and holds one out to his friend.

“Come on, Twilight. Blow.”

She does so as Arc wipes her eyes.

“Do you feel better, mother.”

Twilight sniffles and shakes her head. “Not really. The research that I did to build you… I just… the end result was all that mattered to me back then! I never once stopped to think how my actions might affect others!”

She looks up at Arc, an ashamed look on her face.

“Arc… you must think I’m nothing but a little purple harlot by now.”

Arc shakes his head. “No, Twilight. You were just… very passionate about your work. Just don’t do ANYTHING like this again, alright?”

“Yes! I promise!”

Rose nods. “That is for the best, mother. But if I might ask, how were you even planning on carrying this filly anyways?!”

“I was planning on fertilizing the egg and then placing it in my own uterus.”

Arc frowns. “Be glad you didn’t get that far, Twilight. I don’t think your body could have handled it.”

Auriel looks to Arc, confused. “Really? Twilight appears quite stout to me.”

“She is tough. But human babies are quite a bit bigger than a pony newborn. Assuming Dinky was of normal size and weight, that is.”

Twilight thinks for a moment. “From what I remember she was, yes.”

“Derpy had a hard time pushing her out. I had to give her a small slice to deliver her. A human baby is at LEAST twice as big.”

Rose gasps. “Oh my! That would have killed you mother!”

Auriel puts a claw to her stomach. “I’m probably large enough. If you ever want to try again, I’d even be willing to donate one of my eggs, Twilight.”

The blood drains from Arc’s face. “…what?”

“I am half human after all, so my eggs would most likely be more…”

Arc interrupts her. “Auriel. Please don’t encourage Twilight like that.”

“Why not?”

“Because THIS might happen again!”

“Point taken.”

Rose nods. “Agreed. Let’s just let nature do its thing in regards to procreation of species.”

Arc looks down. “You going to be okay now, Twilight?”

“I believe so, yes.”

Twilight turns to Rose.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t make you a human any more than I can give Arc a foal, Rose.”

“I… understand.”

Twilight thinks for a moment. “But there’s one thing that might work.”

Arc looks surprised. “Huh? I thought you said…”

“I can’t do it myself. But maybe my teacher and friend Princess Celestia could help.”

Arc turns to Rose. “We can ask her after we save her.”

Rose nods. “I’ll help with that when the time comes.”

“We’ll see. But in any case, we should be leaving now. Lots to do before the summit.”

Twilight looks confused. “Summit?”

“The peace treaty signing in the Griffon Kingdom, mother.”

Arc nods. “Rose and I are going to keep an eye on Princess Luna.”

Auriel shudders. “Do you expect trouble?”

Arc shakes his head. “No. But I also don’t want to be complacent. If something were to happen to her, it would be disastrous to the country!”

He looks down at Twilight as he stands.

“I need to go now, Twilight. But do me one favor?”

“What is it?”

“Let the mistakes of the past go and forgive yourself. Our friends and I have.”

Rose nods. “As have I, mother.”

Arc nods. “The only one still blaming you… IS you.”

“I’ll try.”

Arc turns back as they walk down the stairs together. “If you really can’t, try going to see Emerald Dream.”

“The therapist? Why?”

“We all need to talk once in a while.”

Cherry calls out. “Yes. She was a great help in getting to the core of Arc’s pain following my death.”

Auriel’s eyes grow wide. “You saw her Arc?!”

Arc opens the front door. “Yeah. We had to talk through quite a bit. I’ll see you when I get back, Twilight. Take care of each other you two.”

Auriel waves as they leave. “Bye, Arc.”

She closes the door behind them and turns to Twilight who is sitting on her haunches.

“Twilight. Everything okay?”

“I… I can’t believe Arc needed therapy!”

“Does that surprise you?”

“It does! He’s probably our nation’s greatest warrior!”

Auriel sighs. “He’s flesh and blood just like you and I are.”

“My head knows that. But my heart… it still can’t see him as anything less than…”

Twilight is silent for a time, looking for the right word.

“Perfect.”

Arc and Rose return to Derpy’s house that afternoon to cook supper. Sometime later Derpy and Dinky return. The pair sniff the air happily as Dinky runs over.

“DAD!”

Dinky throws her hooves around him as Arc kneels down.

“I missed you!”

“And I missed you too, sweetheart.”

Derpy walks over to join the hug. “Welcome home, Arc!”

They break the embrace and head for the kitchen table. Dinky hops up onto her stool.

“How long are you home this time, dad?!”

“I have to leave again tonight.”

Derpy winces. “Where to?”

“The Griffon Kingdom. That treaty is finally ready to be signed.”

Dinky grins as Arc puts some food on her plate. “Are you going to sign it dad?”

“No. I need to escort Princess Luna there so she can though. She needs to meet with the king at a ceremony celebrating the event.”

Rose sits down with a fresh glass of water. “We’re flying down there early.”

Derpy looks up. “You’re going too, Rose?”

“Yes. Someone needs to watch Arc’s back.”

Dinky smiles. “That makes me feel a lot better!”

“Me too, mom!”

Cherry giggles. “Me three!”

Derpy looks confused. “You’re going too, aren’t you, Cherry?”

“No. Arc says this should be a pretty mundane trip.”

“I’m going to drop her off in Eidolon’s Ward at Cherry Hill Ranch to spend some time with Ruby.”

“I’ve been neglecting my sister shamefully lately. This is the perfect time to make that right!”

“What about you, dad?! You won’t have your armor!”

“Griffonstone and the Aviary are pretty secure. That and this will be a time for formal attire only.”

“Anypony else going?”

“Rose and Natalya will serve as her Honor Guards. I’m just going to support Princess Luna and be present for this occasion.”

Rose nods. “We’ll be back before you know it.”

“Right! I’ll come back as soon as I can. Maybe then we can spend a bit of time as a family.”

Dinky throws her hooves up happily. “YAY!”

Later that evening Arc and Rose head to Light’s Hope. Natalya is waiting for them in the Main Hall wearing her lieutenant’s armor along with Flash Sentry. His coat is freshly dyed snow white. They salute Arc as he approaches.

“Ready to go, sir!”

“Good. Can I assume Gallus is going to stay with the little ones?”

Natalya nods. “Yes sir. It’s just as well. As you know he doesn’t much care for the military. So this event would be very off-putting for him.”

Rose shakes her head. “That is a shame. Can he not see that you protect the land?”

Natalya sighs. “I… our military doesn’t do that very much these days.”

Arc turns to Flash Sentry. “In any case, did you need something before we leave?”

Flash Sentry appears confused. “Don’t you need me to come along as your Honor Guard?”

“Not really. Truth be told, I’m just going there for show on this one.”

“Please sir! I’d like to see this event with my own eyes!”

Arc nods. “I understand. Let Sergeant Sandstorm Mirage know and return at once.”

Flash Sentry runs down the corridor. “Yes sir! Thank you!”

A few minutes later he returns. Arc activates the sigil. In a moment they are teleported to his room in Canterlot Castle.

“Follow me.”

Arc leads the way to the hanger. The Lunar Destiny stands proudly on its landing pad. Ascending the gangplank they are greeted by Captain Tight Ship.

“Welcome aboard, sir!”

“Thank you. Is Princess Luna here yet?”

“Yes sir. She’s waiting for you in your quarters.”

Arc looks confused. “My quarters?”

Tight Ship nods. “Yes sir. Those were her words.”

Rose takes Arc’s arm. “We had best go see her, Arc.”

“Yes. Best not to keep her majesty waiting.”

“Agreed, Flash Sentry”

They enter the mammoth ship. The captain returns to the Bridge as Arc and company head for Arc’s quarters. Natalya appears nervous.

“S-sir? What kind of pony is Princess Luna?”

“Uh… she’s definitely… bigger.”

Rose nods. “And quite a bit scarier!”

Flash Sentry chimes in. “Only to those who would cause harm to others though.”

“How should I act?!”

“Just be respectful and don’t speak unless spoken to. I’ll announce us and see what needs to be done.”

Natalya appears relieved. “Yes sir.”

They approach the door which is flanked by two Royal Guards. They step aside to allow them access. Arc knocks.

“Come in.”

Arc and company enter the room. They find Luna looking out the window absentmindedly.

“Princess Luna?”

She turns around and walks toward them.

“Thank you for coming, Arc. With your arrival we can get the ship underway.”

“Sorry for being a bit late. There was… a small holdup back at my base.”

“Is everything alright?”

“Yes. I only wanted to make sure everything would run smoothly in my absence.”

He gestures to Natalya.

“This is Lieutenant Natalya. Aide to General Blackbeak.”

Luna nods. “Lieutenant.”

“She’s the one I mentioned to you the other day.”

Luna looks the griffon up and down. “I hope you enjoyed your stay in our land.”

Natalya appears suddenly nervous. “I… uh… very much so ma’am. Thank you.”

Luna turns to Flash Sentry. “Inform the captain we are ready to depart, lieutenant.”

“Yes, your highness.”

He leaves the room as Luna turns back to Arc.

“Arc, would you please show Lieutenant Natalya and Rose to their quarters? I’d like to speak with your privately before we retire for the evening.”

Arc nods. “Very well. This way.”

They leave the room. Natalya sighs.

“She’s very… intense.”

Arc chuckles. “I’m told she has that effect on most whom meet her.”

Rose looks over. “And you, Arc?”

“The princesses have no authority over me. That and I have nothing to fear from her. She’s actually very nice when you get to know her.”

Natalya nods. “I suppose a leader must put up a strong front if they are to maintain the respect and admiration of their subjects.”

Arc escorts Rose and Natalya to a VIP suite. He opens the door and turns on the lights.

“I believe you will be comfortable here.”

Natalya looks around the room. Her eyes wide in wonder.

“This room is… amazing! Thank you, sir!”

Arc nods. “Yes well, I’ll have Rose stay here with you.

“But can’t I stay with you, Arc?!”

“Not tonight, Rose. Just keep Natalya company, alright?”

Rose appears crestfallen. “Fine…”

Natalya looks confused. “That’s okay. I’m sure she has other things to do.

“Flash Sentry tells me it’s part of security, what with a princess aboard. You’re free to come and go as you please. Just take Rose with you.”

Natalya nods. “I understand.”

Arc leaves the room as Natalya removes her armor and lies down on one of the beds.

“This is like a cloud!”

Rose sits down sadly. “Yes… it is…”

Natalya looks over at Rose. “Something wrong?”

“I was hoping to spend time with Arc on this trip. He’s been so busy lately!”

“Well, he does have a very demanding job.”

“Agreed. But, he doesn’t ever seem to slow down! I’m very worried about his state of mind.”

“You think he’ll drive himself crazy?”

Rose sighs. “What I think is that he’s going to work himself into a nervous breakdown!”

“I suppose the same could be said for all leaders.”

“That may be. But there’s only one Arc, and Equestria needs him!”

Meanwhile, Arc returns to Princess Luna’s cabin just as the ship takes off. He closes the door behind him.

“Well, we’re on our way. Did you want to talk to me about something?”

Luna nods. “Yes. Please, sit down.”

The pair sit on the couch together in front of the large window in silence for a time as the ship flies toward its destination.

“This is a lovely time of day. Would you not agree, Arc?”

“Sunsets… sunrises… endings… new beginnings.”

Luna smiles. “I take solace in these simple pleasures. It’s one of the few things that help with the burden of my position.”

“That much I understand. But it’s that much harder when you’re responsible for such things as ruling AND the celestial bodies.”

Luna sighs. Her horn aglow. “Yes. Let me remedy that.”

She lowers the sun and raises the moon. Arc stares at it with Luna.

“Quite a sight to behold, Luna.”

She turns to him in the moon’s glow. “Yes. I never tire of seeing my moon rise to illuminate the night sky. It has been the one constant throughout the years.”

Luna is silent for a time before continuing.

“Again I must thank you for coming with me. This business is a bit… distasteful.”

“What do you mean, Luna?”

“Forgive me, but I am not as… sociable as you appear to be.”

“So you’re saying diplomacy isn’t your strong point?”

Luna sighs and nods. “It is not. That is why my sister handled such matters in the past.”

“I’ve heard so much about her in my time here. Admittedly, I look forward to us meeting.”

“Sunburst is doing everything he can to find her. But we have to live in the here and now to assure Equestria’s continued survival.”

“Agreed. How can I help?”

“Tell me, what have you learned of their mannerisms?”

Arc turns to her, confused. “I’m sorry, what?”

“I need you to teach me how to act and speak before we arrive, lest I make a fool of myself and our land.”

“Oh… makes sense.”

Arc removes the book he received at the Aviary. He does his best to explain griffon customs and traditions to Luna for a few hours

“They respond best to arrogance in that regard.”

“I’m not sure I follow. Would that not be an offense to them?”

Arc shakes his head. “No. A strong first impression is necessary. I messed that up too when I arrived. Natalya greeted me and I responded as I normally do. Needless to say, she was less than impressed. What I probably should have said was something about wanting to get underway and be led to the Aviary at once.”

“That does not sound too hard. But it seems a bit… undiplomatic.”

“I wasn’t very good at it either at first. That’s not who I am.”

“Royal etiquette is not really all that different. I believe I can handle it. But you’re saying that I shouldn’t be worried about offending them in this way?”

“No. They appear very… similar to us when you get to know them though.”

“What do you mean, Arc?”

“I originally tried to follow the teachings of this book when I first arrived. However, I quickly found that I was unable to do so effectively.”

Luna looks surprised. “You could not act as the royals do?”

“No.”

“Then what DID you do to gain such trust and favor?!”

“I just went back to what I knew. Treating others with dignity and respect.”

Luna puts a hoof to her chin. “Hmmm… that appears to have worked for you. But I will still attempt to follow the book’s guidance. After all, a royal should act like a royal when in the presence of those beneath them.”

“Just be careful of saying anything that would undermine the egos of a Lord or other important official. Honor would demand that your offense be challenged.”

“Then how should I speak to the Lords?”

“With patience and… humility.”

“I am confused. How does one do that?”

Arc thinks for a moment. “Think of how a commoner would speak to you as a princess.”

Luna narrows her eyes. “I am not going to grovel.”

“Is that how they address you?”

“As they should! I am the Princess of the Night, after all, and am not much for these things.”

“If you cannot speak humbly, try speaking… frankly.”

“Frankly?”

“Make your request as if… as if speaking to your sister.”

“Celestia?”

Arc nods. “She was the final say between the princesses, was she not?”

“Well, yes… but…”

“Think of it sort of like middle ground. You wouldn’t grovel at her hooves. But at the same time you wouldn’t look down your nose as you spoke to her, would you?”

“I suppose not. Celestia views myself and Cadance as equals after all. Even though she is thought of as being above us.”

“I suppose someone has to be the final say.”

“Yes. In any case, I shall think on your words, Arc. But we should both get some rest now.”

Luna stands and walks toward the door, Arc does the same.

“Um, Luna? Where are you going?”

“To one of the VIP rooms. Where else?”

“But this is YOUR room!”

She shakes her head. “This is the Lord Regent’s room. You did well in bringing our nation this far, Arc. I am confident that only you could have accomplished all of this without going to war.”

Luna sighs as she puts a hoof on the door.

“I’ll just…”

She suddenly puts a hoof to her forehead.

“Luna? Is something wrong?”

“It… it’s nothing! I… I just…”

She suddenly collapses to the floor. Arc hurries over to her.

“Luna!”

Stooping down he helps her up. Luna looks to him dazed.

“I… what happened?”

“You fell down! Are you okay?!”

Luna stands shakily. “I… I don’t… it’s an old ailment of mine.”

“Let me call for Nurse Redheart. She can…”

Luna’s eyes grow wide as she screams out. “NO!”

“What?”

Luna begins to sweat. “I’m fine. It’s just stress from the mission at hoof. Nothing to worry about, I assure you.”

Arc puts her hoof around his neck as he helps her to bed. “Are you sure?! I mean, you’re shaking!”

“I… please, just take me to a room so I can sleep this off.”

Arc lies her down in the bed. “You just rest here, okay.”

“But this is your…!”

“Rest here. I insist! Or do I have to go to the Bridge and have Thunderlane turn the ship around?”

Luna sighs. “Very well.”

Arc covers her with a blanket. “Is there anything I can get you?”

Luna smiles weakly. “You wouldn’t happen to have a pineapple, would you?”

Arc chuckles. “Sorry. All out of those.”

He feels her forehead.

“You’re quite warm! Are you certain you don’t want the nurse to take a look at you? Perhaps some medicine would help.”

Luna shakes her head. “I’ve lived with this for years, Arc. Believe me when I say it will pass.”

Arc looking at the couch. “I… could stay here with you tonight. On the couch, of course!”

“N-no! I’ll be fine! Please get some sleep now. Tomorrow will be a busy day for both of us.”

Arc frowns. “Are you sure?”

“Yes. Please.”

“Alright. I’ll come by early tomorrow to get you for breakfast.”

Luna nods. “Thank you.”

Arc opens the door and steps out. “Sleep well, Luna. I hope you feel better by tomorrow.”

He closes the door behind him as Luna puts her hooves to her face.

“I… I can get through this. I have to!”

Sweat pours from her body as Luna turns toward the moonlight streaming through the window. Her breathing becomes labored as she claws at her body with her hooves.

“Celestia! You would know what to do! How do I… how do I FIX this?!”

Meanwhile, Arc leaves the room and turns to the guards stationed outside.

“Princess Luna is feeling a bit… under the weather. See to it she is not disturbed.”

The Royal Guards nod and salute Arc as he walks down the hallway alone. He mutters to himself.

“I’m no doctor, but I get the feeling that’s more than just stress related. Some kind of side effect from becoming an alicorn maybe?”

Arc ponders this for a moment before heading toward one of the VIP rooms. A voice from behind gives him pause.

“Sir?”

He turns to see Flash Sentry walking toward him.

“You’re up late.”

Arc nods. “I was just mentoring Princess Luna on how to act in the Griffin Kingdom.”

The lieutenant smiles at him. “Are you certain that’s all you were doing?”

“Pretty sure, yes. Why do you ask?”

“There’s been talk among the guards.”

Arc beckons the lieutenant to follow him into the room. “I assume guard duty is pretty boring. I suppose it’s only natural for them to… wait, what are they saying?”

Flash Sentry closes the door behind him. “There is talk of you and Princess Luna being… involved in a relationship outside your professional roles.”

Arc raises an eyebrow. “They think we’re in love?!”

“Yes sir.”

“If you hear any more of this, I want you to squash that rumor, Flash Sentry!”

“Yes sir. And I must say, congratulations.”

“For what?!”

“The troops respect you even more for your bravery!”

“Uh… okay. For which act?”

“For being able to spend quality time with the Princess of the Night, and survive!”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold on! Do they think I’m… sleeping with her?!”

Flash Sentry nods. “Forgive me for being so frank, sir, but… yes.”

Arc sighs. “Let me guess. This started around the time I took her out for dinner, right?”

“Yes sir.”

“But Shining Armor said that Captain Decimus did that for years! Why am I being scrutinized?!”

“Probably because he kept a cadre of guards around them at all times to protect them AND avoid such rumors. You sent away the guards and kept her out quite late.”

Arc sits down on the bed and shakes his head. “How could I have been so stupid! I wasn’t thinking of her reputation when I did that!”

“If it makes you feel any better, sir, there has always been rumor of such things surrounding the princesses.”

“Really?!”

“Yes, sir. But nothing concrete. We all know they’re still mares at heart and assumedly have certain… needs. But they do not typically form attachments.”

“Any idea why not?”

Flash Sentry shrugs. “Probably because it would open them up to scandal and blackmail. To say nothing of endangering the stallion.”

“While I’m not in love with the princesses, I do care about them. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I’ll try to watch what I do in the future.”

“My pleasure, sir.”

“It’s been a long day. Why don’t you get some sleep? I need to do the same.”

The lieutenant nods and heads for the door. “Good night, sir.”

Flash Sentry leaves the room. Arc stares up at the ceiling, thinking.

“Luna… I’m sorry. You deserve better than this. Better than others talking about you as if you were some kind of conquest. Better than… me.”

He rolls over to face the wall.

“Luna’s illness, her past, and her sister’s location. Questions, questions, nothing but questions! With any luck though this will go smoothly so I can get back home.”

Arc sighs.

“But which home am I yearning for? Earth… or Equestria?”

PreviousChapters Next