• Published 27th Apr 2019
  • 15,230 Views, 5,861 Comments

The Equestrian Odyssey - A Tale of Two Worlds - Kamahido



Twilight accidently brings a human from Earth to Equestria. Will he be able to coexist with the equine inhabitants of this new land?

  • ...
74
 5,861
 15,230

PreviousChapters Next
Preface - Volume 25 - Devices and Discoveries

In our previous volume, Arc, Ember, and Frank enter a wormhole to Equestria. Ember tells Frank about her and Arc’s past and the truth regarding how they met. After a good night’s sleep the three meet the princesses over breakfast. Luna gives Arc her blessing to seek help for Frank in learning magic.

Arc and Ember take Frank to meet with Twilight at the Golden Oaks Library. She recommends the Frank learn more about magic in an effort to help him control this powers. Reminding Arc that he has a beginner’s primer, she suggests they start there. Over tea Twilight and Auriel inform Arc that they have enough essence to complete an artificial sun. Arc suggests using a peninsula far to the west as a testing ground and even volunteers to take them there in The Equinox. Afterwards they return to Light’s Hope to allow Frank time to shower and rest.

The trio head to the cafeteria for lunch. As they munch on pizza Frank inquires about the various types of pizzas the guards are eating. Arc recommends letting Frank rest that afternoon, but is convinced by his friend to show him more of the town. They head to Carousel Boutique to have him fitted for new clothes. Rarity asks to speak to Arc privately. Heading up to her bedroom she confesses to needing parenting advice. Admitting that Sweetie Belle has suggested Rarity try to find love, she suggests the herd idea to Arc. Promising to give the idea more thought, Arc pulls Rarity into his lap and kisses her.

Leaving Rarity’s, Arc, Ember, and Frank head down the road. However, when Frank collapses due to a magical imbalance Arc opens a portal to take him back to Light’s Hope. Allowing him some time to rest, Arc and Ember take the opportunity to sleep themselves. Waking, the group takes a portal to Derpy’s house. Cooking supper together, Derpy and Dinky return home. Arc introduced them to Frank again in their pony forms. Over supper Arc announces his plan to take Twilight and Auriel out into the desert to test their artificial sun prototype. Dinky asks is she and her mother can come, to which Arc agrees. After doing the dishes they head to The Equinox. Ember volunteers to stay in a VIP suite with Frank to keep an eye on him. As they rest she regales them with tales of her and Arc’s exploits over the past year or so.

Waking up early, Arc makes his way to the Golden Oaks Library. As Auriel lets him in, he asks her to rest while he retrieves Twilight from the basement. Finding Twilight asleep with the plants he wakes her. After retrieving the essence for the experiment the pair return to the main level, they find Auriel asleep on one of the crates. Arc opens a portal and carries the sleeping demon through it as Twilight rolls the barrel through. Putting the pair to bed in one of the VIP suites, Arc stores their gear and the essence below deck. Returning to the Mid Deck he spots Frank leaving his room. The pair head to the Observation Deck to talk about philosophy before Derpy and Dinky join them.

As Arc and company proceed to cook supper that evening he receives a call from the Bridge. Lemon Hearts reports a strange energy signature below deck. Heading there, Arc meets up with Moon Dancer. She scans the Cargo Hold and limits the source of the readings to Twilight’s supplies. Arc takes the keg of essence and Blinks to the ground. Discovering his presence lowers the reading Arc returns to the kitchen with the keg. Auriel questions the wisdom of continuing with their experiment. However Twilight is able to reassure her that everything will work out just fine.

Sitting on the Observation Deck after their meal Arc and company rest and talk about the artificial sun project. Escorting Derpy and Dinky to his room, Arc announces he’ll be spending the night on the Middle Deck with the essence. Laying down, he quickly falls asleep. Arriving in his Sanctuary, Arc is unable to speak to Cherry. Running into the farmhouse he looks all around to no avail. A storm outside rages and unintelligible whispers ring out from no discernable source. Hearing something on the porch Arc investigates to find Wiseman on the swing. While the porch is spared the gusts of wind and torrential rain, the storm continues to rage on. Wiseman tells Arc… “The blind cannot see that which is right in front of them. The deaf cannot hear even though others speak. However, the wise will find a way to see and hear that which they must comprehend.” As the man vanishes, Arc too decides to leave in hopes of finding Cherry in the waking world. Awakening, Cherry greets him worriedly. He informs her of the happenings in the Sanctuary along with Wiseman’s words. Getting up, Arc goes to check on his little family. Seeing them fast asleep, he continues on down the corridor. Spotting Frank looking out a window Arc joins him. Frank advises Arc to find small ways to unwind. Before he leaves, Arc promises to have a long talk with Frank soon.

After breakfast the next morning Arc and his friends leave the ship to scope out potential locations for the experiment. They settle on a decent sized plateau for safety reason. Twilight and Auriel organize the transport of their equipment as Arc and Dinky play ball nearby. Frank and Ember return to their room to continue Frank’s magical training. Ember gives him some one-on-one instruction on the basics of casting and magical science.

As Arc, Derpy, and Dinky talk, Arc announces his intentions to retire after rescuing Princess Celestia. He informs them that he wants to be a full time father to Dinky to be able to watch her grow up. After transporting the essence up to the plateau Auriel pours it into the machine and starts the conversion process. They sit and talk together over lunch as Ember and Frank join them outside. Frank tells Arc of his intentions to use his powers to further his plans back on Earth. Arc informs Frank, in no uncertain terms, that he is willing and able to stop him with his own power along with The Equinox and the might of the Equestrian military if need be.

As night falls the essence finishes its process. Twilight and Auriel open the shielding array and expose the inert artificial sun. Starting up the emitters they attempt to ignite the sun, but lack sufficient power. After hearing several suggestions they rest on the idea to increase the magical power being levied at the sun by supplementing their own magic. Arc, Ember, Twilight, and Dinky all channel their magic at the sun. As they are joined by Auriel and Frank, the sun ignites. Magical energies cascade across its surface. As its creator look over their instruments Dinky spots a strange looking vine growing up in front of the sphere. Ember cuts it for a sample as Moon Dancer warns Arc of some kind of impending danger incoming.

Ordering everyone back to the ship Arc goes after Auriel, who refuses to leave. Only after slapping her does she regain her composure. Blinking aboard, Arc orders the ship to life off and orbit the plateau. Moon Dancer analyzes the cutting Ember took, but comes up with no known matches. Sending the analysis to Sunburst back in Canterlot, she discovers the plant’s regenerative properties. As it begins to grow before their eyes Arc grabs it, runs out onto the deck, and throws it overboard. Sunburst calls to inform Arc that the plant is known as a Plunderseed Vine, and it hasn’t been seen in over a thousand years. Two large vines burst forth from the ground and latch onto The Equinox. Arc orders Wrangler to power up the weapon in an effort to free the ship.

Firing on the vines, they quickly absorb the energy, strengthening them. Derpy and Ember dive off the ship and slash at the two holding the ship, freeing it. As The Equinox flies to safety Auriel flies Arc down to the machine below while Ember and Derpy create a perimeter. Arc covers Auriel’s back while she tries desperately to shut the machine down. After using the manual override vines momentarily weaken. However, using the energy from the earlier shot, the mother plant resumes her assault of the fledgling artificial sun. Making the decision to destroy it, Twilight instructs the ground forces to smash both of the machines electrodes at the same time to slow the chain reaction. Arc opens a portal as Auriel pushes Derpy and Ember though it. As they attempt to escape themselves the vine grab the pair and slam them to the ground face to face. Before the explosion, Arc contacts the ship to order them to fly to safety. He also takes a few moments to say goodbye to Dinky. As the blast rocks the countryside Lemon Hearts attempts to reach Arc. Failing in that, Tight Ship orders the ship toe maintain its orbit of the area as they wait for morning in an effort to locate Arc’s body. Dinky says a few words into the radio, hoping her father will hear it. Frank carries the sobbing Filly to Arc’s bed as Twilight casts a Sleep Spell on her. As they sit together Twilight is overcome with remorse for her part in ending Arc’s life.

Waking in what appears to be the Dragon Lands, Arc and Auriel attempt to contact help. Failing that Arc attempts to open a portal. Again he fails. Voices fill the air but speak incoherently. Arc asks that they elect one speaker. A single voice rings out a short time later. As it materializes a physical form, Arc gasps. The being, who calls herself Aurora, appears to be a green version of Cherry. She explains that the Consciousness that she represents is the collective awareness of the essence that makes up the artificial sun. Informing them of their plight, Arc volunteers to help the Consciousness escape from the pocket dimension and the vines waiting for them outside. A short time later Auriel leaves the dimension and flies back to The Equinox overhead. Lemon Hearts brings the ship back up to red alert. Auriel explains to the crew that Arc wants them to charge the ORB and prepare to fire on the artificial sun.

As Wrangler fires, it becomes apparent Arc’s plan is to blow up the mother plan underground. When Dinky hears her father will not survive, she vanishes. Returning a short time later with her friends Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, they jump into the artificial sun, merging with it. Lending their power to that of Arc and the ORB they are able to destroy the Plunderseed Vine mother plant. Taking flight, the artificial sun heads for the peninsula. Twilight and company disembark as the ship lands and hurry over to it just as Arc and the fillies emerge. Telling the story of their adventure, Arc calls for Aurora. Stepping out, she reveals herself to the group and agrees to accompany them aboard The Equinox. Arc takes the fillies back to his quarters where Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom confess their desires for Arc to adopt them like he did for Dinky.

The next morning Arc and the fillies cook breakfast together as the ship flies back to Canterlot Castle. Disembarking, Arc leads the group to the Audience Chamber to see the princesses. Bringing them up to speed on the events of the past few days, Aurora expresses the Consciousness’ desire to relocated to Tartarus. Overjoyed, Auriel thanks her for being willing to bring hope to her people in the form of sunlight and plants. Aurora shows Sunburst how she is able to lend her power to aid in spellcasting. He uses the opportunity to supercharge his scrying abilities. Hastily writing down the coordinates of a military base, Sunburst tells all assembled of his discovery of the facility Princess Celestia is being held.

However, many questions yet remain. What will Frank do with his magical abilities once he masters them? Will Ember be able to refrain from raising a claw against Frank (who certainly deserves it). What will become of the Consciousness and Aurora? Why do Dinky and her friends have such extreme powers? And what of the fourth Cutie Mark Crusader (whom has yet to be mentioned in the story)? Where did the Plunderseed Vines come from? When will Princess Celestia return to Equestria?

Time will tell. Sooner or later… time will tell.

PreviousChapters Next