• Published 27th Apr 2019
  • 15,072 Views, 5,847 Comments

The Equestrian Odyssey - A Tale of Two Worlds - Kamahido



Twilight accidently brings a human from Earth to Equestria. Will he be able to coexist with the equine inhabitants of this new land?

  • ...
72
 5,847
 15,072

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 9 - Role Playing

That evening Arc walks down the street with Rainbow Dash. They are both wearing nice clothing and have their hair/mane done. Rainbow Dash sighs as they walk.

“I’m getting really tired of this kinda stuff.”

“Huh?”

“Getting all dressed up, I mean. Why can’t we all just talk like we normally do?!”

Arc shrugs. Well, this time it was Fluttershy’s idea. She wants everything to be perfect too.

“But I always look awesome! Even without the dress!”

“Look at it this way. Now you look extra pretty.”

Rainbow Dash grins. “You think so?!”

Arc nods. “Of course.”

“Thanks. And you look great yourself.”

“Hopefully this will be the last time we have to do stuff like this for a while though.”

Rainbow Dash grins slyly. “Why’s that? You don’t like dressing up either?”

“It’s not that I don’t like it. But I do have other things that need doing, after all.”

“Like what?”

“Preserving the country, for starters.”

Rainbow Dash giggles. “Okay, I’ll give you that one. But thanks for taking the time to do this though. It really does mean a lot to me.”

They arrive at a small but well-kept house. Arc pushes the gate open and allows Rainbow Dash to pass. Walking up to the door they knock lightly. A few moments later the pair are greeted by Cloud Sweeper as he opens the door.

“Come in you two.”

Arc smiles as they enter. “Hello again, sir.”

Rainbow Dash looks around. “Is Fluttershy here?”

Cloud Sweeper nods. “She just arrived a few minutes ago. Why don’t you come and say hello to her?”

He leads the way into the Living Room where Fluttershy is sitting on the couch with her mother. Both are wearing their finest clothes. They both stand as Rainbow Dash and Arc enter. Fluttershy trots over to them and looks her friends over.

“Welcome. You two look amazing!”

Arc smiles warmly at her. “So do you, Fluttershy.”

Rainbow Dash nods, clearly in awe of Fluttershy dressed up. “Y-yeah.”

“Are your parents with you, Rainbow Dash?”

“Nah. They said they’d meet us here.”

She looks over her shoulder before speaking in hushed tones.

“So… how are we gonna do this?”

Fluttershy whispers. “We’ll try to keep things going with conversation that leads to the subject of you and Zephyr. But it’s up to you to tell them.”

Cloud Sweeper nods as he also speaks quietly. “Right. They’ll want to hear it from you, after all.”

Rainbow Dash wrings her hooves nervously. “What about… the other part?”

Strawberry Shy stands and walks over to the group. “About you and the Hero of Light?”

“Yeah. I mean… maybe we shouldn’t drop everything on them all at once.”

Arc shrugs. “That’s completely up to you. But I think I’d be best to just be honest about the whole thing.”

Fluttershy smiles. “I agree. But this whole thing is about you tonight, Rainbow Dash. It’s your decision how much you tell them.”

There is a knock at the door. Strawberry Shy turns to answer it.

“That’s them. I’ll be right back.”

The sound of the door opening rings out and voices echo from the front. A few moments later Bo Hothoof and Windy Whistles enter the Living Room together. They too are dressed in their finest clothes. Bo grins sheepishly as does his wife.

“Sorry we’re late.”

Windy lifts a hoof. “I just couldn’t seem to find this outfit’s matching slippers.”

“We did eventually, of course.”

Strawberry Shy appears confused. “Where were they?”

“In the back of my closet inside of an old hat box I haven’t used in years for some reason.”

Rainbow Dash looks away nervously. “How’d they get in there?”

Bo shrugs. “No idea. But all’s well that ends well, right?”

Arc nods as he watches Rainbow Dash out of the corner of his eye. “Yes, indeed.”

Cloud Sweeper walks up to his old friend. “Bo, why don’t you and your wife have a seat while Strawberry and I check on supper?”

“Sounds good. My hooves are killing me.”

Windy giggles as she joins her husband. “Well, you’ve had a long day, dear.”

They sit down as Bo turns to his wife.

“Thanks for helping me get caught up at the factory, dear.”

“It’s no problem.”

Strawberry Shy calls out from the kitchen. “We’ll be back to work tomorrow.”

Bo grimaces. “Are you sure you’re up to it.”

Windy nods. “Yes, I can cover for you if need be.”

Cloud Sweeper chuckles. “Oh no. Truth be told we need to get back to work. My wife and I are starting to grow roots just sitting around all day.”

They laugh together as Fluttershy looks to Windy.

“That’s a very nice dress, ma’am.”

“Thank you, Fluttershy. I’m just glad to have a chance to wear it.”

Arc straightens his coat. “We’ve all been in our best lately it seems, what with the dinners together with Zephyr.”

Bo looks to Fluttershy. “Yeah. Tell me, is he coming?”

“I don’t think so. You see he had to…”

Rainbow Dash interrupts. “Leave town!”

“He did? Was it for a job?”

“Something like that! Had to… make inquires!”

Arc nods stoically. “He did seem in a hurry to leave.”

Windy shrugs. “Zephyr’s always been that way though. Constantly on the move to the next thing.”

Fluttershy smiles nervously. “Yes. Like one day at the hospital. We all had a very… interesting conversation back there.”

Bo appears genuinely interested. “Oh? What about?”

Rainbow Dash jumps into the conversation again. “His schooling mostly!”

Arc frowns. “There was more to it than that though.”

“We also talked about the past! Like… like when we were foals!”

Fluttershy groans. “I suppose that’s true, yes. But…”

Strawberry Shy and Cloud Sweeper fly out of the kitchen with several dishes in their hooves.

“Time to eat, everypony.”

“Come get it while it’s hot.”

Sighing, Rainbow Dash stands with the others and walks over to the table. She sits down next to Arc as Fluttershy takes her place on his other side. Arc looks at the food.

“This looks very tasty, ma’am.”

Rainbow Dash nods. “Smells good too!”

Strawberry Shy smiles as he gestures to the spread before them. “Eat up before it gets cold everypony.”

Cloud Sweeper looks to Arc. “Would you like to do the honors, sir?”

“Honors?”

Fluttershy giggles. “He means serve the main dish. It’s a tradition here.”

“Ah, yes. I’d love to.”

Reaching out with his magic, Arc carefully levitates the serving utensils. Manipulating them masterfully, he carefully puts a slice of the casserole on everyone’s plate before ending with himself. Strawberry Shy smiles.

“Very impressive, sir!”

Cloud Sweeper claps his hooves. “Yes! We’d heard that you could use magic, of course. But not to such a degree.”

“You must be very popular at parties.”

“And with the mares.”

Rainbow Dash clears her throat loudly. “He’s kind busy for things like that though! Always working!”

“Well… yes, I do stay quite busy.”

Fluttershy grins as she attempts to steer the conversation back towards its original point. “The role of Hero of Light is a very… important one. It must be hard to find time for love.”

Bo nods soberly. “That it is. But let me ask you something, Fluttershy?”

“Sir?”

“Have you given any thought to your own future?”

“My… future?”

Windy nods. “Yes. With your younger brother all but spoken for you should find somepony special too.”

Strawberry smiles nervously. “I’m sure she will when the time is right.”

Cloud Sweeper looks to Arc. “Yes. But the stallion whom marries her will be a lucky one indeed.”

Bo chuckles. “That he will.”

Windy turns to Rainbow Dash with evident pride. “You’ve grown up before everypony’s eyes into quite a lovely mare, Fluttershy.”

“Th-thank you.”

Bo grins. “I would have guessed you must have to beat the stallions away with a stick.”

“Not… really.”

Arc smiles at her. “Don’t sell yourself short, Fluttershy.”

Rainbow Dash gasps as she begins to speak. “He’s right! After all, you’ve been seeing a special somepony lately though!”

Windy puts her hooves on either side of her cheeks excitedly. “Have you now?”

“Y-yes, that’s right.”

Bo beams with evident pride. “That’s great! You and Zephyr should have somepony in your lives, after all.”

Windy nods happily. “Tell us about him.”

“Well… um… he’s very… large and… uh… very strong.”

Bo chuckles as he flexes. “Bigger than me?”

“Oh, yes sir. Much.”

Rainbow Dash attempts to keep the conversation going. “He’s good looking too!”

“Right. And Kind. Very, very Kind.”

Bo turns to Fluttershy’s parents. “Have you met him?”

Strawberry Shy nods frantically. “Oh yes. A few times now.”

Cloud Sweeper smiles slyly at Arc. “We approve of him wholeheartedly too.”

Windy giggles. “That’s wonderful!”

Rainbow Dash raises a hoof. “He’s also…”

Bo interrupts her. “Tell us, how long have you two been seeing each other?!”

“It’s been several months now, I think.”

Rainbow Dash tries again to get into the conversation. “That’s about right. And…”

Windy takes Fluttershy’s hoof from across the table. “Maybe you and Rainbow Dash can double date.”

“I don’t know if that’s such a good…”

Bo nods approvingly. “It’d be good for Zephyr too. Help keep him at ease when he and Rainbow Dash go out.”

Rainbow Dash frowns. “But I don’t…”

Windy cuts her off. “And it’d be good to know that his older sister was by his side in case he needs her for emotional support.”

“We wouldn’t be…”

Bo taps the table with a hoof. “I think…”

Rainbow Dash suddenly stands up from the table and storms away. A few moments later they hear the back door slam shut. Bo and Windy look to each other, confused.

“What’s gotten into her?”

“I’m not sure. But we should go talk to her.”

Arc looks to Bo. “Sir, might you leave that to me?”

Fluttershy hops off her stool. “I’ll come too. She might open up to us more readily.”

Bo moves to stand. “But I should…”

Windy puts a hoof on her husband’s shoulder. “Let them try, dear.”

“Very well.”

Standing along with Fluttershy, Arc turns to their hosts.

“Excuse us.”

Walking out the back door together, Arc and Fluttershy spot Rainbow Dash sitting on a bench directly next to the door. Arc calls out to her.

“Rainbow Dash?”

“Hm?”

“Can we join you?”

Wordlessly nodding, Arc sits on one side as Fluttershy takes up a spot on the other as Arc speaks.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

Rainbow Dash sighs. “I guess I should.”

Fluttershy motions to the door. “What happened back there?”

“It’s just… I guess I was dodging the issue for a while.”

Arc nods. “We noticed that, yes.”

Fluttershy frowns. “That’s why we kept giving you opportunities.”

“And I appreciate it. The problem was that… when I was finally ready to say something, my parents kept butting in so I couldn’t finish.”

Arc sighs. “I’m sure they didn’t do it on purpose.”

“Right. After all, they still think you’re with Zephyr.”

Rainbow Dash bows her head. “Well, I need to tell them the truth.”

Arc glances off to the side for a moment before looking to Rainbow Dash.

“Why not practice?”

“Practice?”

“Yeah. Pretend that your parents were right here.”

He gestures to a pair of large potted plants next to them.

“Like they were these ferns. What would you say to them?”

Fluttershy grins. “Let’s stand up. You can face them to help pretend.”

Shrugging, Rainbow Dash stands along with her two friends. They stand on either side of her as she turns to the plants and speaks.

“Well… I guess I would start out by telling them how much I love them.”

Fluttershy smiles. “And Zephyr?”

“Yeah. I mean… he’s a good friend, and all. But… I’m not actually in love with him.”

Arc gestures to the plants. “So tell them that.”

“Okay. Here goes.”

Rainbow Dash takes a deep breath and looks squarely at the plants.

“Mom. Dad. You know I love you two, right?”

Fluttershy pretends to be Windy. “Yes dear.”

Arc smiles as he lowers his voice to sound more like Bo’s. “Of course.”

Rainbow Dash raises her eyebrow as she looks to her friends. “What are you two doing?”

Arc shrugs. “Helping play the part of your parents.”

Fluttershy makes a circular motion with her hoof. “Right. Keep going.”

Rainbow Dash groans. “Fine…”

She turns back to the plants.

“Well, I haven’t been completely honest with you two. I know that you want me to marry Zephyr and all, but…”

Rainbow Dash pauses before continuing.

“The truth of the matter is… that I don’t actually love him.”

Arc: You don’t?

Fluttershy gasps. “Then how do you really feel about him?”

“He’s just a foalhood friend.”

Arc sighs. “Why didn’t you say anything sooner?”

“I guess I was just too afraid of letting you two down. Zephyr let his parents down earlier when he told everypony that he had eyes for one of Fluttershy’s friends. I know how much you and your friends want our families to be joined, but… but I don’t feel like it’s fair to anypony for us to be together when we aren’t in love.”

Arc nods soberly. “This is all very sudden, Rainbow Dash.”

Fluttershy bows her head. “Yes. What brought this on?”

“To be completely honest with you two, I was really relieved when I heard that Zephyr kinda felt the same way.”

Arc raises an eyebrow. “Relieved?”

“Yeah. You see… I’ve had my eyes on somepony else for quite some time now.”

Fluttershy smiles expectantly. “Who?”

Rainbow Dash takes Arc’s hand and looks at the ferns soberly.

“Him. Hero of Light Arc.”

Fluttershy giggles. “You two?”

Arc looks to the plants. “Yes, it’s true. You see…”

Rainbow Dash interrupts him. “Arc, please. Let me tell them.”

She turns to the ferns again before talking.

“We met about a year ago. A lot of stuff happened between then and now, of course. But… but the feelings I have for him are just so… so strong.”

Arc nods. “And I care about Rainbow Dash too.”

Fluttershy continues to play Rainbow Dash’s mother. “Tell me, does he make you happy?”

“More than words can say. I just feel like… like he completes me. Makes me whole.”

Fluttershy takes Arc’s other hand in her hoof. “She’s right. I’ve also fallen in love with him too.”

Rainbow Dash looks bravely at the plants. “Now we know that this sounds crazy, but… we’ve been talking about forming a herd.”

Fluttershy giggles. “All of our friends are very interested in joining too.”

Arc responds quickly. “Right. But not anytime soon, mind you. I still have a lot of work to do before I can settle down and get married.”

Rainbow Dash looks down at the ground. “And, to be completely honest… we’re not ready yet either.”

Fluttershy smiles and nods. “That’s why we’ve agreed to a long engagement and lots of dates so we can all get to know each other better.”

“I haven’t had the chance to go yet. But Fluttershy did, and she had a great time.”

“While I was a little nervous, my friends assured me that everything would be fine. Then on the date itself he did his best to keep me calm and show me a good time.”

Fluttershy blushes slightly before continuing.

“To be completely honest with you, that was the most calm I’ve ever been with somepony in my whole life. I just felt so safe and secure. Like nothing bad could possibly happen to me as long as he was there.”

Rainbow Dash’s eyes grow wide as she turns to Fluttershy. “Really?”

“Yes.”

“Wow! Now I can’t wait to go out with him!”

A voice rings out nearby.

“I… don’t really know how I feel about all that.”

They turn to see Bo and Windy standing in the doorway, their mouths agape. Rainbow Dash hurries over to them.

“Um… I’m not sure just how much of that you could hear.”

Windy looks at her daughter through the screen door. “All of it.”

Bo steps outside. “At least when you started talking to the plants.”

Fluttershy’s parents follow them out. Fluttershy gasps.

“Mom?! Dad?!”

Cloud Sweeper bows his head. “Sorry about this, dear.”

Strawberry Shy smiles nervously. “We thought this would be a perfect opportunity.”

Arc chuckles. “Kinda was.”

Rainbow Dash looks to her parents sheepishly. “Are you mad?”

Bo groans. “Well… I don’t know if ‘mad’ would be the right word.”

Windy nods. “More like… ‘disappointed’.”

Rainbow Dash sighs. “Guess I kinda deserve that.”

Bo steps forward with his wife. “Listen, dear. Your mother and I love you very much, and want the best for you.”

“But we don’t think forming a herd would really… make you happy.”

“We are still very impressed that he was able to do so much for your friend Fluttershy, of course.”

“However we think that he should be with her, and her alone.”

Fluttershy gasps. “But… but what about the others?”

Bo puts a hoof around Windy. “Being married is a lot of work.”

“It’s hard enough with just us two. I can’t imagine sharing my husband with other mares.”

Windy turns to Fluttershy’s parents.

“Wouldn’t you agree?”

Cloud Sweeper shakes his head. “Honestly, no.”

Bo raises an eyebrow. “What?”

Strawberry Shy looks to Fluttershy. “We saw just how happy our daughter was when talking about him.”

Cloud Sweeper chuckles. “But she was just as happy when her and Rainbow Dash were explaining their whole herd idea.”

Fluttershy blushes slightly. “Right. He makes all of us feel so nice.”

Bo turns to Arc. “Sir? Are you…? Do you love my daughter?”

“Not yet, sir.”

Windy tilts her head to one side, confused. “Then why…?”

“Because like you said earlier, you want the best for her. I honestly haven’t had time to really get to know Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow Dash is suddenly nervous. “But you do want to, right?!”

“We’re just friends right now. However I would like for us to become more. That is if it’s what we both want.”

Fluttershy giggles. “I know I do.”

Rainbow Dash stands tall. “And I’d like a chance at that too.”

Arc nods. “That’s for the best. Offering a chance to you and the others, that is. Who really knows where it will lead? Maybe we’ll fall in love. Or maybe we’ll find out that we don’t really have much real interest in one another.”

He turns to Rainbow Dash’s parents.

“Either way, I really do like your daughter and would like to take her out sometime. But I’d rather do it with your blessing.”

Rainbow Dash looks to her father, pleadingly. “Please, dad! You’ll really like Arc if you get to know him!”

Windy turns to Bo. “We can’t really stop her, dear.”

“No, I suppose we can’t.”

He sighs before continuing.

“Well… our daughter wants the chance to get to know you, sir. So… I suppose we should try to get to know you too. “

Extending a hoof, Bo smiles nervously at Arc.

“Deal?”

Arc nods and takes the stallion’s hoof.

“I’d like that, yes.”

Cloud Sweeper raises a hoof as he looks at Arc. “Now, now. Don’t forget about us.”

Strawberry Shy smiles. “We’d like the same. After all, you’ve made our daughter VERY happy.”

Fluttershy laughs as she takes flight. “And look at it this way. We can join our families by marrying the same stallion.”

Arc chuckles. “I guess you could.”

Bo shakes his head as he turns to Arc. “Well… let’s keep marriage off the table for now, shall we?”

“Agreed. None of us are ready yet.”

Arc shakes hands/hooves with Fluttershy’s father as Strawberry Shy motions to the door.

“Why don’t we all head back inside and have a nice talk about this over dinner?”

Rainbow Dash grins as she flies back inside. “Great idea! I’m starving!”

Bo chuckles. “That’s our daughter!”

“Yes it is.”

Arc laughs. “She is right though. Let’s eat before it gets cold.”

They head back inside together as the door closes behind them. Sitting down at the table Bo turns to Arc.

“So… um… what should we call you, sir?”

“Just ‘Arc’ is fine.”

He looks to Fluttershy’s parents.

“That goes for you two as well.”

Strawberry Shy smiles broadly. “Of course.”

Cloud Sweeper bows his head respectfully. “It would be an honor.”

Windy giggles. “Only if you’ll do the same then.”

“Oh?”

“Feel free to call me ‘mom’.”

Rainbow Dash blushes. “Mom! We’re not married yet!”

“I know, dear. But you two are very cute together.”

She turns to Fluttershy.

“It’s going to take some getting used to… this whole ‘herd’ idea. But I do have to admit that I’ve never seen you and my daughter so happy.”

Fluttershy giggles. “Oh yes. And I have to admit that I’m a little scared myself. However knowing that I’ll be with my friends forever makes me so very happy.”

She looks to her parents as they chat happily with Arc and Rainbow Dash.

“That and it’s wonderful that my parents are on board with my life choices. Even though they may be a bit… outside the norm.”

Bo shrugs. “They were pretty easy to convince.”

“Can we really do this, Bo?”

Bo looks at his daughter as she holds Arc’s hand. “If it’s what Rainbow Dash wants, we have to at least try.”

PreviousChapters Next