• Published 1st Sep 2012
  • 5,762 Views, 106 Comments

"Loyalty" Begins With an L - shortskirtsandexplosions



Something is eating at Rainbow Dash, and she needs to find the right pony to share it with

  • ...
20
 106
 5,762

x

"Lyra?!" Bon Bon called across the house as she trudged down the stairs, fastening a saddlebag full of baking tools to her sides. "Lyra! There you are..." She smiled and trotted across the living room. "I'm off to have breakfast with Apple Fritter so that we can plan for the Summer Sweets Competion. Then after that I've got this craaaazy schedule at the confectionery today. I should still be able to make our lunch date at the school campus later, though. Don't hate me if I'm a little late, please?"

Lyra sat before the table, gazing blankly at her mess of musical notes. Her mane still had its morning supply of cowlicks, as if she had just rolled out of bed five seconds prior.

"Lyra?"

"Hmmm...?" The unicorn glanced over.

"Honestly!" Bon Bon giggled and leaned in to give her a peck on the cheek. "You can't let that mind of yours go to waste yet. You've got another decade and a half of teaching left at least. Save the brain-melting to the school foals, huh?"

"Uh... Eheh... Yeah, sure..." Lyra said in a dull tone.

"Gotta run! Don't forget to turn the lights out before you leave the house yourself!" Bon Bon was halfway out the door. The village was alive outside with the hustle and bustle of ponies.

"Bon Bon..."

The mare stopped halfway through the door. "Yeah, Lyra, what?"

"I..." Lyra bit her lip. She gazed over at her, her eyes thin and baggy.

"Dear Celestia!" Bon Bon exclaimed, chuckling. "Did you get any sleep last night?" She blinked, her grin fading. "Lyra...?"

Slowly, the unicorn shuffled towards her. "Bon Bon... have... have I told you lately how much I love you?"

Bon Bon smiled sweetly. "Why, yes. Yes, Lyra. You tell me all the time, silly."

"I really do, Bon Bon," Lyra said. In her next breath, her lips began trembling. "I... I just want to make sure that you know that."

Bon Bon exhaled, her smile melting into a thin line. "Oh darling..."

Lyra sniffled. "I love you s-so very m-much..."

Bon Bon dropped her saddlebag and drifted over, engulfing Lyra in a close hug. "Come here..."

Lyra hid her face in Bon Bon's shoulder just as her amber eyes began streaming with tears. "I-I don't know wh-where I would be without you..."

Bon Bon stroked the small of her back and nuzzled the mare, murmuring warmly into her ear. "I adore you, Lyra. You are the joy of my life. Forever and ever..."

Lyra merely shuddered, her breath coming out in shivering sobs as she clung to Bon Bon, her face buried in her beloved's embrace. Together, the two rocked in the center of their home, swaying to a gentle hum that Bon Bon produced for the two of them. Seconds passed and turned into minutes. They risked being late to their respective jobs, but that didn't stop them. For a moment, absolutely nothing could.