• Published 12th Apr 2019
  • 650 Views, 26 Comments

The Amazing Spider Mare: Sinister Secrets - SuperPinkBrony12



(The long overdue sequel to "The Amazing Spider Mare: The Symbiote Saga".) Spider Mare and Black Cat (Cheese Sandwich) leap into action tracking down a crime syndicate led by the mysterious Mr. Negative, while some old foes unite and plot revenge.

  • ...
3
 26
 650

Meeting Mr. Lee

Word of the prisoner escape spread rapidly (or at least as fast as the papers could pick up the story). But the news didn't reach Spider Mare's ears and even if it had she probably would've ignored it. The task of stopping this "Mr. Negative" from whatever it was he planned to do came first.

Unfortunately, the very day after the raid on the warehouse, Officer Copper Top had bad news for our favorite web slinger. "The Shocker won't talk. I've tried everything I can think of, but I can't wring any kind of confession out of him," She explained to Spider Mare. "He's as tight lipped as all his cohorts at the warehouse. And what did I say about notifying me first?!"

"Sorry, Officer Copper Top," Spider Mare apologized. "But sometimes things get out of control, and in those cases you don't always have time to stop and think. For what it's worth, I didn't touch any of the containers or crates. Speaking of which, what was in them?"

Copper Top shook her head. "I'm afraid we don't know. They contained some sort of unknown substance, my boys at the lab are running tests as we speak but it could be days or even weeks before we know."

Spider Mare sighed. "And the worst part is, they made off with some of it. They've been here for a long time and they were operating right under their noses. Whoever this 'Mr. Negative' is, he's a definite professional, a true kingpin of crime."

Copper Top nodded, adjusting her signature sunglasses. "Strangely and hautingly enough, I came to the same conclusion. However, the best I could get on a location was a brief mention of a stallion named Martin Lee."

Spider Mare let out a gasp! "I know that name!"

"Oh, do you? First I've ever heard of him. Then again I haven't been in town for nearly that long, still learning names." Copper Top admitted as she massaged the back of her neck with a hoof.

"Yes, well," Spider Mare began, before she hesitated. Should she let Copper Top in on her secret identity? Should she reveal how it was that she knew about Martin Lee? Copper Top was a trustworthy pony, but even if she swore to secrecy was there a chance that word might leak out accidentally? Against her better judgement she decided to tip hoof around the subject, keeping her identity secret for the time being. "Let's just say that somepony very important to me works for Martin Lee. Apparently he runs a homeless shelter here in Ponyville."

"I don't suppose that certain somepony you mentioned is your partner, the Black Cat, right?" Copper Top guessed.

Spider Mare shook her head. "No, it's not him. It's somepony else, but I'm afraid I'm sworn to secrecy on them. You understand, secret identity and all that."

Copper Top reluctantly sighed. "I'm afraid I do. Seems like you go to great lengths to guard it," Then she changed the subject. "It seems that Martin Lee is our only lead at the moment. Unfortunately, just random mention of his name isn't going to cut it. Not even for a warrant to search his shelter. Mere suspicion isn't enough to go after someone. Because if it was, I know many of my cohorts in the department would be tripping over themselves in a rush to arrest you."

"Don't I know it. Next thing you know, somepony'll put a price on my head," Spider Mare chuckled and then said to Copper Top. "Don't worry, leave the investigating to me. I'll find out how Mr. Negative and Martin Lee are connected. They can try to stay hidden, but I have my ways."

"Just be careful, Spider Mare. We don't know if Mr. Negative actually works with Martin Lee," Copper Top informed the web slinger. "For all we know he could be doing it under Martin Lee's nose, and Martin Lee could be an innocent victim."


Spider Mare made her way across town to a humble, two story building that wasn't too far from Barnyard Bargains. Perching carefully on the roof, she pulled out a saddlebag and ducked around to the side so as to ensure no one could see her. "This is a job for Pinkie Pie, not Spider Mare. I don't know what kind of leverage Mr. Negative has on Martin Lee, but I aim to find out. Maybe there's even a way I can help him." She thought, as she changed out of her costume and stored it firmly inside the saddlebag so that no prying eyes would find it. Then she tucked said bag behind some bricks, so as to ensure no one would accidentally discover it by mistake.

Then Pinkie entered the building through a door on the second floor. She proceeded to make her way down to the first floor, so as to make it seem she had come in through the front and thus not attract suspicion.

At the reception desk stood a sturdy earth pony mare that looked to be only slighter older than the Cakes (and only slightly less sturdy than Scootaloo's Auntie Lofty). She had beautiful rose colored eyes, a lovely snow white coat, yellow-trimmed glasses that reminded Pinkie of the ones her mom always wore, a straight forward mane and tail that was a beautiful blonde in color, and a cutie mark depicting some marbles and a jack. It was her Aunt Suzanne.

Aunt Suzanne smiled as she looked up from the reception desk. In fact, she trotted out from behind it and rushed up to give her niece a big hug. "Pinkie Pie! Oh, it's been too long!"

Pinkie smiled. Her Aunt Suzanne's hugs always made her feel warm and welcomed. "Hi, Aunt Suzanne. Just thought I'd stop by for a visit and check out your new job."

"Oh, so that's what I owe the pleasure to," Aunt Suzanne commented as her bright smile didn't fade. "Well by all means, come in and have a look around."

Pinkie followed her Aunt Suzanne, deciding to wait just a little bit before mentioning the reason for her visit. She saw all sorts of ponies big and small alike, young and old alike. There were several comfortable beds and bunk beds, a few ponies were enjoying a tasty meal that had been provided for them, and two old stallions were currently engaged in a grueling battle of wits as they stared at a chess board (no doubt trying to decide what move to make).

As Pinkie took in the sights and sounds of the homeless shelter, she stopped briefly when she noticed an earth pony colt that seemed to be about the CMC'S age (perhaps a tad bit older). Said colt had a pale grayish-yellow coat that looked like sand on the beach, light sea green eyes, a shaggy mane and tail that was a two shaded blueish-green in color, and a cutie mark depicting three turtles.

Aunt Suzanne smiled. "Pinkie, this is my new assistant. His name is Sandbar."

Pinkie extended a hoof to the colt. "Hiya, Sandbar. Whatcha doing here? You're not an orphan, are you?"

Sandbar chuckled and shook his head. "Oh no. I still live with my parents, and I love them very much. Not as much as they love me though, it's kind of embarrassing," Then he explained. "I just wanted to do something with all my free time. Wanted to really give back to the community as Mom and Dad would say," Then he commented. "They say it makes me a hero to volunteer like this. But I don't feel like much of a hero. The real heroes are you and all your friends, not to mention Spider Mare and Black Cat," With a starry look in his eyes he declared. "Someday, I hope I can be just like them! Super powers, not afraid of anything, beating up bad guys left and right! Sounds like it's an awesome life!"

Pinkie just chuckled as she thought to herself. "Oh Sandbar, if you only knew. Being a superhero isn't as easy as it sounds. I may make it look easy, but it can really put a cramp in my lifestyle."


Aunt Suzanne led Pinkie all around, stopping at an office on the second floor of the shelter. "This is where Martin Lee is on most days," She explained to her niece, before she eyed the empty room. "Oh, but it seems he isn't here right now. Kind of odd, actually. Sometimes he's here all day, never seems to leave for anything. Other days he comes and goes as he pleases, and seems rather nervous. Still, I suppose I can't complain too much. He's a nice guy, and I was hoping you'd have the chance to meet him. After all, I work directly under him. He was the one who brought me on as his assistant back when this place was still starting out. I owe just about everything to him."

"Yes. You mentioned as such in your letters," Pinkie commented, before she began to massage the back of her neck with a hoof. "Sorry I haven't been keeping in touch as often as I should have, Suzanne. Hard to believe the anniversary of Uncle Al's death is coming up so fast," A sigh of regret escaped her lips. "Seems like only yesterday he was still with us, telling me all about how with great power comes great responsibility. And now I know more than ever what he meant. Do you think he'd be proud of me if he could see me now?"

Suzanne put a hoof to Pinkie's chin, looking deep into her eyes. "Pinkie, don't start with that kind of talk. You know your Uncle Al always hated to see you upset. He always taught you to look on the bright side and keep smiling," She reassuringly added. "If he were here today, I'm sure he'd be very proud of the fine young mare you've grown into. And you honor his memory every day with your thoughts and actions."

"Still, I'd give anything if I could even just one more day with him," Pinkie confessed. "Even if it was just to tell him I'm sorry I couldn't protect him."

Suzanne simply reassured Pinkie. "You don't know for sure that stopping the robber would've saved him anyway. You could've gotten hurt, or worse. Besides, the past can't be changed. So worry about the future, and strive to learn from the past so that your future and everyone's future stays bright."

At that moment there came a clapping of hooves. A yellowish-green coated unicorn stallion with blue eyes commented. "Very impressive, and well spoken too. A mentality I strive to live by every day of my existence."

"Ah, you must be Martin Lee," Pinkie concluded as she approached the stallion, taking notice of his jet black mane and tail. "I'm Pinkie Pie, Suzanne's niece. But I'm sure she's already told you about me."

Martin Lee nodded his head. "She most certainly has. She says you're quite super, superior even you might say. It is my understanding that you've helped save Equestria multiple times, correct?"

Pinkie nodded. "Yes, you heard right. The girls and I do have quite a reputation," She then blushed a bit. "But I've kind of hung back on the heroing as of late, seeing as I am married. Pinkie Pie sounds better than Pinkie Pie Sandwich though."

Martin Lee just chuckled. "Ah yes. I remember reading all about your wedding in the Baltimare Times. Even now though, your presence humbles my establishment."

"Oh, you're just saying that," Pinkie commented as she waved a hoof. "Though may I ask, what made you want to set up a homeless shelter in Ponyville of all places? Aren't there more suitable locations?"

"On the contrary, no place could more benefit from having such a place as this for the unfortunate ones than Ponyville, the so called friendliest town in Equestria," Martin Lee commented in a noticeable somber tone. "It seems like because it's the home of Princess Twilight Sparkle, and because it's where Spider Mare and Black Cat are sighted on an almost daily basis, the citizens have been lulled into a false sense of security. They think all their problems have been magically taken care of, when nothing could be further from the truth."

The young mare fought back a gulp. She'd heard this kind of talk once before and it did not make her feel any bit less uncomfortable than it had the first time. "Funny, I seem to remember a certain Filthy Rich thinking the exact same thing once upon a time. And if I remember, he turned out to be wrong. Spider Mare saved his life, and got his now ex-wife put away."

Martin Lee only shook his head. "I'm not saying he was completely in the right. After all, he was foolish enough to try and create his own counter to Spider Mare and that backfired horribly," The stallion was quick to add. "However, he never would've even gotten the idea if Spider Mare hadn't insisted on sticking her nose into everypony's business without anyone asking her to. It seems that there might be a side to Spider Mare that everyone chooses to ignore. Sure, she only goes after the big threats and the criminals, but has she really made us safer? Or has she put us all in danger by uprooting our lives with her battles? By existing, doesn't she paint a target on Ponyville's back for all those super villains to target?"

Suzanne stepped in and countered. "Now Mr. Lee, you know that Spider Mare is only trying to help. She never means harm. And as of lately, the cops have been making big progress with her help. Even Mayor Mare says the town's never been this peaceful in her entire tenure."

Martin Lee simply replied with what looked like a scowl. "I just don't necessarily believe Spider Mare is worthy of the pedestal she's been placed upon. However, I understand that's just my opinion and most of the ponies who end up here don't seem to think the same way," Then he commented to Suzanne. "Speaking of which, shouldn't you be getting back to the reception desk right about now?"

Suzanne blushed. "You're right! I completely forgot!" She rushed away without another word.

Meanwhile, Martin Lee turned to Pinkie. "Don't think I'm unaware of your little 'secret'," He warned. "I know you came here because Spider Mare tipped you off about Mr. Negative, and told you that I work for him."

"I wouldn't say it like that exactly. Spider Mare and I only occasionally interact." Pinkie lied, hoping to feign ignorance about the subject.

Martin Lee simply trotted to his desk. "Well as you and everypony else can see, I've nothing to hide. My whole life is an open book. I was born and raised in Baltimare, and I moved to Ponyville to establish this shelter. I don't know why you think this Mr. Negative, whoever he is, would take any interest in a guy like me. But if you're thinking of 'exposing' me, you'd better think again. I have never met Mr. Negative, and I can provide you with all the alibi you could ever need," He then added. "I assure you, it's just coincidence that my name might have come up. I've never met this so called 'Shocker' that Spider Mare defeated last night. And neither do I know any of the goons who were working for him."

Pinkie sighed. "Well, I guess I'll just leave then. I wouldn't want to disturb you, you seem awfully busy as it is," She proceeded to ask. "You're sure you don't know anything?"

Martin Lee nodded. "If Mr. Negative were really causing me trouble, Spider Mare would've showed up to stop him. But she's not here now, is she?" He appeared to smile as he added. "It was nice of you to visit me, Pinkie Pie. Hopefully our next visit will be under far more pleasant circumstances, especially considering how sweet your Aunt Suzanne is."

The pink party pony spun around. "Is that a threat? You better make sure no harm comes to her, Mr. Lee! I trust you with her care."

Martin Lee flashed a sincere smile. "Why would I harm one of my best co-workers? I think maybe you're just hearing what you want to hear. Now, don't you have some cupcakes to frost or a party to plan somewhere? Even if you don't, I have better things to do with my time, so if you wouldn't mind leaving that'd be most appreciated."

Reluctantly, Pinkie obliged. But she wasn't satisfied with Martin Lee's answers. "He's definitely hiding something," She thought to herself. "But I've got bigger problems on my hooves at the moment. For now though, I'll definitely need to keep an eye on Mr. Lee."

Author's Note:

At least in the PS4 game, Martin Lee runs the F.E.A.S.T homeless shelter that Aunt May works at. If you've played the game or read the comics, you know about how he's related to Mr. Negative, but don't spoil it for those who don't know.