• Published 15th Mar 2019
  • 947 Views, 34 Comments

The Nerd and the Cellist - HAKDurbin



A story of a nerdy guy named Rough Draft who secretly wishes to be with Octavia Melody despite the fact that she's dating Blueblood.

  • ...
10
 34
 947

Chapter 19

It was the day of the wedding, and I was in high spirits as though it were my own wedding. I practiced dancing throughout the night before, even when my legs were tiring. Eventually, I grew so confident that I recorded a video of me dancing while pretending to have a partner and sent it to Fluttershy and Starlight Glimmer. Starlight gave me a few critiques, but apart from that, she and Fluttershy were pleased to see all of their tutoring pay off.

Come Sunday morning, I woke up with an exhilarated grin. I spent most of the morning doing chores and some homework, but my mind was still on the wedding. It had only been a few weeks since Octavia asked me to be her date, but it felt more like months since I had been waiting to watch her perform at her first official gig, especially for our dance after the reception. It was the first night I would be partaking in a big event with a girl, one I had strong feelings for, no less. I was determined to make it a night that Octavia and I would never forget.

About an hour after lunch, I took another shower just in case before my dad helped me put on my suit. My mom gave me a few pointers on how to behave at a wedding and toward my date before she and Dad wished me good luck, and I headed off to Octavia's house. I hummed wedding music as I walked down the street with a skip in my step. When I walked to the front porch, I checked the time on my phone to find I was 2 minutes early. I decided to play a game on my phone at the front door until 3:00.

Finally, at 2 seconds left, I raised my hand to knock on the door when it flung open. Octavia stood in a purple rain dress with medium sleeves and crow shoulders. A navy blue sash was wrapped around her waist, and she exited the front door wearing bright white slippers. I stood gaping as I analyzed her outfit from top to bottom. I already thought Octavia was the most beautiful person I had ever seen in my life, yet seeing her look so extravagant in her dress made me feel spoiled to the bone to be in her presence. I was so stunned that I didn't notice Octavia’s cheeks turning pink, flattered by how I gazed upon her.

"Like what you see, Mr. Draft?" Octavia asked.

My cheeks flared up, and I shook my head to break my gaze.

"Sorry. It's just … you look incredible," I said.

Octavia's blush grew, and she looked away to hide it as she said, "Thank you. Rarity will be pleased with the results of her hard work."

"I bet she will," I agreed. "Anyway, has the limo arrived yet?"

No sooner had I asked than I heard a honk behind me, and I turned around to find a limo parked on the sidewalk. The chauffeur got out of the driver's seat and walked over to the end of the car to open the back door, giving Octavia and me a bow.

"Wow, talk about good timing," I said.

"Indeed. It's all the more reason I expected you to be here at 3:00 sharp," Octavia said. "Though I must say, I did not expect you to arrive so early that you would wait in front of the door to knock."

"What can I say? I arrived a little earlier than planned, and I wanted to wait until 3:00 to show that I did what you asked," I said.

"I appreciate that, Rough Draft, but you don't have to wait until precisely 3 to let me know you arrived. I'm quite pleased that you came a little early," Octavia said.

"I'll keep that in mind the next time," I said. "Anyway, shall we get the show on the road?"

"Yes, we shall," Octavia said.

She went back inside her house for a second and came back with her cello case. We then walked over to the limousine, where I let Octavia go in first. The chauffeur closed the door behind us and then returned to the driver's seat to drive us to Manehattan. The back of the limo was filled with candy, drinks, and a music box installed for karaoke. There were lights of various colors installed on the ceiling. I looked around, surprised at how much of what I'd seen in movies were real. At the very end, beside the driver's seat, was a 4K 30-inch tv. Octavia smiled in amusement as she watched me look at our surroundings.

"Believe it or not, this is an average limousine as far as luxury goes," Octavia said.

"You make it sound like you've ridden a lot of limousines in the past," I said.

"As a matter of fact, I have," Octavia said. "Blueblood always took me on dates in limousines. It's one of the ways that he would show off his wealth and try to make our dates memorable while we were still living in Manehattan."

"Ha! Show off," I said. "Don't you think this is a little much when we're going to Manehattan for your first gig? It's not like we're going to our wedding or something like that."

Octavia's and my eyes widened, and we looked away, blushing at the idea of us getting married. Octavia then cleared her throat and said, "From the way a representative of Blueblood's father explained it, Blueblood thought it fitting that I should go to my first paid gig in a limo. Though, to be frank with you, Rough Draft, I have my suspicions that I am being brought to the wedding in a limo despite being simply a member of the wedding band because, technically, I am still Blueblood's girlfriend. It's likely Blueblood has kept the fact that I put us on a break a secret from high society, and this limousine is a tool to keep it that way."

"When you say it like that, I feel we shouldn't be surprised if Blueblood's trying to use this limousine to try to keep you from dumping him," I said. "You know. Try to remind you of the benefits you have as his girlfriend."

"No, we shouldn't be surprised at all," Octavia said before smiling at me. "But let's not dwell on that. We should have a little fun while it's still a long way to Manehattan."

I gave Octavia a smirk and said, "You're right. We shouldn't make this a waste of money on Blueblood's part. Besides, I think he and I can agree; you deserve a little luxury for gaining such a big gig."

"Oh, come now, Mr. Draft. Don't be so biased," Octavia said.

"I think that ship sailed a long time ago, Ms. Melody," I said. "Besides, what are dates for wedding band members for anyway?"

Octavia giggled and put her hand on top of mine. My cheeks heated up as I stared at our hands, not noticing Octavia blushing as well.

"Then I expect you to be supportive to the very end," she said.

"As you wish, Octavia," I said as I looked up at Octavia. "As you wish."



**************************************************************************


For the next two hours, Octavia and I watched a movie on the tv while helping ourselves to some snacks. When we entered the city, I stopped to look through the window to marvel at the tall buildings and the countless people walking down the street going about their business. For anyone else, this would be a normal megacity, but for someone who lived most of his life in the desert and having only seen cities in film or tv, the buildings may as well be as tall as mountains. Octavia couldn't help but giggle at my amazement, finding it silly but cute.

The limousine parked on the sidewalk, and the chauffeur exited the car to open the door for us. I got out first and offered Octavia my hand as she got out behind me. As we walked to the building in front of us, I saw a large sign at the top with the words "Goldblood Industries" shining in gold lights. Evidently, Blueblood's lack of subtlety runs in the family.

We went inside and took the elevator to the top floor. We then went down the hall to a door outside, revealing a venue that filled the entire floor. Lights were hanging above us and there were white, pink, lilac, and sky blue cloudbuster balloons tied to poles or anchored at the center of dining tables. From the other side from where we came were two dozen rows of folded chairs split into two sections and facing an arc standing by the edge.

I looked to my right, and there was staff setting up the reception, including one man bringing a massive ice sculpture that I assumed was of the bride and groom. I looked to my left to find a large dance floor installed with a white stage in front of it. A group of people practiced music on the stage with a violin, a flute, and a piano. Octavia and I looked at each other and smiled, knowing it was the wedding band.

"Excuse me, are you Octavia Melody?"

Octavia and I turned around to find a girl our age standing behind us. She had grayish mulberry skin, dark blue hair with a purple and a pink streak, and glasses and a light blue dress. She had a pen in her ear and was holding a clipboard.

"Yes, I am," Octavia answered. "And you're Shining Armor's sister, right?"

"That's right. My name is Twilight Sparkle. I'm also organizing the wedding and Shining Armor's Best Lady," Twilight answered.

"Best Lady?" I asked.

Twilight turned to me and looked at me, confused for a moment before it came to her.

"Ah, you must be the person representing Blueblood in his place as Octavia Melody's date," she said.

"That's right. My name is Rough Draft," I said.

"Pleasure," Twilight said. "Anyway, Shining Armor wanted me to take the position as the head of his groomsmen, so to speak, as his Best Lady rather than Best Man."

"Huh. There's something you don't hear every day," I said.

"Indeed," Octavia said. "Anyway, have all the members of the band arrived?"

"Yes, they have," Twilight said. "Why don't you go over and start rehearsing with them while more of the guests arrive?"

"Sounds good," Octavia said. "How about me? I'm all for helping while the other guests haven't arrived if you'll have me," I said.

Octavia gave me a sweet smile while Twilight hesitated before saying with a polite smile, "That's nice of you, but I'm pretty sure I've got everything under control. Why don't you take your seat at the front of the arc and wait for the ceremony to start while the other guests arrive?"

I furrowed my brow, preferring to help or watch Octavia rehearse with the band.

"Okay then," I said. "Do you want me to pick a random spot in the back or something?"

“Actually, your seat is at the very front on the left side, right between Ms. Celestia, Ms. Luna, and Mr. and Mrs. Blood,” Twilight said.

My frown turned into a feeling of unease, and I turned to Octavia, who was equally concerned.

Would it be okay if I sit somewhere else?" I asked. "I don't think it's appropriate to sit at the front when I'm not even family."

Twilight's eye twitched, and she pursed her lips before checking some of the papers on her clipboard.

"I'm sorry, but that would be impossible," She said. "Everybody has been reserved to specific seats, and no one is here without their family and/or business partners. Besides, even if you aren't family, you still technically represent Blueblood, as we established a couple of minutes ago. Now, please follow me."

I squirmed as she used my technical position against me. I turned to Octavia, who placed her hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry. I suppose I should have thought of this when I asked you to be my date," she said. "I imagine I don't have much leeway to try to get them not to harass you since Blueblood and I are on a break."

"Yeah, this is pretty lousy timing," I said. "Is there any advice you can give me about Blueblood's parents?"

Octavia took a moment to think about it and said, "Honestly, given the situation, I think you should just avoid talking to them as much as possible. Don't speak unless spoken to, and when they demand something from you, always answer with a "yes, sir" or "ma'am."

I took a moment to think about it and said with a sigh, "Yeah, I guess showing a little respect like that it's probably the only chance I've got of being around these people who threaten to sue me and try to destroy the Tasty Treat."

Octavia briefly smiled before she gave a frown that matched mine. The next thing I knew, she pulled me into a hug, holding me with all her might. Under normal circumstances, I would be comforted and blushing by the girl that I like to hold me so close, but the way she held me felt as though we might not see each other again, and that made me more afraid of Blueblood's parents. I hugged Octavia back, not throwing away the chance to hold her before facing the music. I turned to Twilight, who looked confused the entire time we were hugging, before she cleared her throat and gestured to me to follow her. I looked back to see Octavia head to the stage as I followed Twilight down the aisle.

Twilight showed me to my seats at the center of the left front row, and I sat down, not thanking her. After a few minutes of staring at nothing, I decided to take out my phone and play a mobile game to ease my mind. As time went by, more guests arrived, and Twilight showed them to their seats. The men were wearing tuxedos a hundred times more expensive than mine, and the women were in various colors and wearing expensive jewelry on their fingers, wrists, and ears. The children also wore nice suits and dresses, but they focused on their phones as they sat down and waited for the ceremony to start while their parents discussed business, politics, and the like with their friends and business partners. Even though I was wearing a nice suit that Octavia liked seeing me in, I felt I was still wearing jeans and a shirt with my cutie mark on it. I felt so out of place with these people.

Fortunately, as more people came, I felt at ease as I watched Twilight guiding Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna to the front row. Vice Principal Luna noticed me sitting down and waiting for them as they got closer and gave me a warm smile.

"Well, a warm welcome to you, Rough Draft," Vice Principal Luna greeted.

"Good evening, Vice Principal Luna," I said with a friendly smile.

"Rough draft? Isn't this one of our new students?" Principal Celestia asked.

"He is. Soarin took me to my office to get his schedule," Vice Principal Luna said.

"I see. Then you must also be the one who knocked our nephew off the balcony?" Principal Celestia asked with a disapproving look.

I grew nervous again and bit my lip.

"Y-yes, but you have to believe that was a complete accident," I said. "Whatever you heard about me attempting to murder Blueblood is not true."

To my surprise, my response was met with a chuckle from Principal Celestia.

"Not to worry, Rough Draft. Vice Principal Luna and I have run Canterlot High School long enough to know how students tend to create tall tales. Though, I'd be remiss if I didn't say I'm displeased to hear two of my students fighting resulting in serious injury," she said.

"Er, yes. Sorry about that. Though, in my defense, Blueblood was the one who attacked first," I said.

"Oh, is that right?"

My blood froze at the sound of a cold, condescending voice. I looked past Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna to see a couple in their mid-50s walking over to us. The man had white skin with short, desaturated gold hair and wore a tux with a deep blue vest and bow tie. The woman was lilac-skinned and had streaks of gray in her long, curly, light orange hair. She wore a strapless, sleeveless, blood-red dress that went down to her knees as if to show off her skinny legs even though she had not aged particularly well. Her face looked as though she had multiple plastic surgeries in a vain attempt to maintain what lovely features she had once upon a time. They weren't being guided to their seats by twilight, for there was no need for the man who owned the property. I silently gulped at how the man looked daggers at me with his grayish-blue eyes. On the other hand, Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna stood up and greeted the couple with friendly smiles.

"Goldblood, Pureblood, good to see you, Principal Celestia greeted.

"And you, cousins," Goldblood said half-heartedly, his eyes still fixed on me. "Which is more than I have the grace to say about the young tramp sitting in our row despite injuring my heir and preventing me from shutting down that little restaurant."

"Now, now, there's no need to be that way toward Rough Draft, Goldblood," Vice Principal Luna said. "Plus, from what I hear, you got the money you wanted out of the Tasty Treat, and, having tried it the other day, we can honestly say it would be a waste to shut down a good-hearted restaurant that lives up to its name."

"Perhaps, but I, for one, would still prefer proper retribution for my boy and for his suit, Pureblood said.

"They are Blueblood's parents, alright," I muttered to myself.

"What was that boy?" Goldblood growled.

I froze again and responded with a twinch of fear, "N-nothing."

"That's what I thought," Goldblood said. "And while we are talking, let us make something perfectly clear. The only reason you are here is that my son wanted you to be so that his girlfriend isn't alone on her first gig, but that will hardly save you. They may be on a break, but I expect Blueblood to man up and keep Ms. Melody in line before long. Regardless, you are to keep your mouth shut, speaking only when spoken to, and not to forget that no matter how nicely dressed you are, you are nothing but a lowly commoner who has no right to be within 50 miles of my property regardless of what you have done to my son. Do I make myself clear?"

"Perfectly," I replied without skipping a beat.

Goldblood and Pureblood gave condescending smirks, pleased that I was kept in line. They help themselves to their seats, with Goldblood sitting on my left side. I kept my gaze on Principal Celestia, Vice Principal Luna, and the arch, but I could feel Goldblood's gaze upon me like a vulture waiting for the right moment to eat the flesh of a wounded animal. The only thing that gave me an inkling of comfort was Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna sat next to me on my other side, knowing they would defend their student again if necessary.

Eventually, the chairs were filled up, and the wedding band began to play for real. A cerulean blue, hunched, balding old man with glasses walked down the aisle to stand at the arch while holding a bible. He was soon followed by Twilight walking down the aisle with the Maid of Honor, and then the other groomsmen and bridesmaids walking down the aisle in pairs. Last came the groom, Shining Armor, who walked tall, proud, and dressed in a red military suit. He stopped at the arch's right side with Twilight and the groomsmen. Twilight straightened the sash around Shining Armor's shoulder, earning a brotherly smile from him.

Finally, Octavia and the band began playing the wedding march, and everyone stood and turned around. Three eight-year-old girls walked down the aisle tossing flower petals. Behind them was a boy a year younger than the girls holding a pillow carrying two gold bands. Lastly, a light grayish cerise woman with violet rose, and pale gold hair walked down the aisle in a white and gold dress with a four-foot-long train. Members of the crowd gasped and whispered among themselves, discussing how beautiful the bride looked. The groom stared at her in awe with a goofy smile as if she were a goddess in human form. Twilight nudged Shining Armor with her elbow to snap him out of his trance. For my part, there was only Octavia when it came to pure beauty, yet I couldn't deny that the bride looked lovely.

When the bride got to the arch, she stood next to the bridesmaids and faced Shining Armor as they took both of each other's hands. We all sat down as Octavia, and the band finished the song, and the pastor cleared his throat.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to unite Shining Armor and Mi Amore Cadenza -"

"Oh, just Cadance, please," the bride interrupted.

Members of the crowd lightly chuckled, and the pastor cleared his throat.

"And Cadance in holy matrimony," he said.

The pastor continued with a speech discussing love and marriage, half of the time using quotes from famous writers and passages from the bible. Halfway through the speech, I looked back to see Octavia and the band watching from the stage. Octavia noticed me looking and waved with a smile. I smiled back, then turned back to face the bride and groom again, but as I watched, I began to wonder what it would be like if, by some miracle, Octavia and I got together and married when we were older. I could see myself wearing the suit I was wearing now, and I imagined Octavia wanting a simpler dress than Cadance. It was a fool's hope, to say the least, and yet the idea put a smile on my face despite her boyfriend's parents being right next to me, waiting for the right chance to do anything for revenge.

Little did I know at the time that Octavia was entertaining herself with the same idea.

My daydreaming was interrupted when I noticed the ring bearer handing the rings to Cadance and Shining Armor. Shining Armor repeated a vow that the pastor said to him before he put a ring on Cadance's finger, and then Cadance did the same before putting a ring on Shining Armor's finger. The couple held hands while facing each other again as the pastor smiled, closed his Bible, and cleared his throat.

"By the power invested in me, I now pronounce you man and wife. Therefore, what God has brought together, let no man break apart," he said before turning to Shining Armor with a smirk. "You may kiss your bride."

Shining Armor and Cadance smiled and Shining Armor stepped in to put his hand on Cadance's cheek and pressed his lips against hers. Everyone applauded as Cadance wrapped her arms around Shining Armor to deepen the kiss. When they parted, the newlyweds turned to face their guests, giving them warm smiles while Cadance waved at Shining Armor and Twilight's parents, who were sitting in the front row on the groom's section. Octavia and the band began playing wedding music as Candace and Shining Armor walked down the aisle, followed by the ring bearer, the flower girls, Twilight, the groomsmen, and the bridesmaids, in that order.

A staff member then came to the front and guided the audience down the hall, starting with Twilight and Shining Armor's parents, Blueblood's parents, Principal Celestia, Vice Principal Luna, and me. We walked down the aisle together, with me making sure to stay close to my Principal and Vice Principal, but I could still feel Goldblood and Pureblood's gaze behind me. The guests surrounded Cadance, Shining Armor, Twilight, the bridesmaids, the ring bearer, and the flower girls as two photographers began taking pictures of them.

But as they took pictures, I noticed one of them was a guy my age with pale yellow skin and messy light-brown hair and wearing round glasses, and the one right next to him looked similar in appearance but older. I mentally scratched the back of my head as I wondered if I had seen the younger photographer somewhere at CHS.