• Published 15th Mar 2019
  • 947 Views, 34 Comments

The Nerd and the Cellist - HAKDurbin



A story of a nerdy guy named Rough Draft who secretly wishes to be with Octavia Melody despite the fact that she's dating Blueblood.

  • ...
10
 34
 947

Chapter 18

Octavia was high in spirits when she came to school on Friday. She was proud that she, Rainbow Dash, Soarin, Applejack, Caramel, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Starlight Glimmer, and I completed our mission to save the Tasty Treat in one night. Her satisfaction grew whenever she heard students talk about their time eating at the restaurant that night, with some planning to eat at the Tasty Treat again with friends who hadn't been there. It was as though it was a blessing in disguise that Blueblood and I got into that fight for the good of Saffron Masala and Coriander Cumin's business, and she can only imagine Blueblood and his father in sour spirits because of it.

However, when her mind wasn't on the Tasty Treat, it was fixed on her and me. Her heart aflutter when she thought of kissing my cheek. Even though it wasn't a kiss on the lips, the moment that led up to it and how I reacted made Octavia smile. She fought the urge to blush whenever she thought about it in class. All in all, Octavia was hopeful that she would secure a chance to start something with me, especially after I struggled to look her in the eye when we met in English class, for my mind had been on that kiss all day.

When class ended, we grabbed our stuff and left the classroom with Sonata walking behind us. We walked a few feet from the classroom before I turned to Sonata and asked, "Care to walk to the music room with us again, Sonata?"

Sonata frowned and said, "I'd like that a lot, but I got to meet my sisters at the parking lot. We're heading to work early."

Octavia frowned and rubbed her arm before reluctantly saying, "Actually, Rough Draft, I think I should skip study group today. Since the wedding is tomorrow, I better practice as much as I can."

I resisted the urge to show my disappointment and forced a grin on my face.

"Totally. I'll fill you in with what Starlight Glimmer and I go over," I said.

"Excellent," Octavia said. "Then I will see you tomorrow afternoon, Mr. Draft. Don't forget, be at my front door at three o'clock sharp."

"You can count on me, Lady Melody," I said with a little bow.

Once again, my jester made Octavia giggle. Sonata frowned at the two of us talking about the wedding, knowing what Adagio had planned. She then replaced it with a bright smile and said, "I hope you guys have fun. I'll be crossing my fingers for your first gig, Octavia."

"Thank you, Sonata. That's very kind of you," Octavia said. "Anyway, I will see you all later."

"Bye, Octavia," Sonata called out.

"See you tomorrow, Octavia," I said.

Octavia waved her hand as she made her way to the school's main entrance. She continued to smile as she began walking to her house, thinking of how I would react to her dress for the wedding. Her thoughts then turned to what song she planned to practice first when she heard someone calling out to her.

"Octavia! Octavia Melody!"

Octavia turned around to see a girl with azure skin and cornflower blue hair with pale cerulean stripes running over to her. She tilted her head as the other girl caught up, having never seen her before.

"Can I help you?" Octavia asked.

"You certainly may," the girl answered confidently. "The Great and Powerful Trixie wants to know what you know about Adagio Dazzle single-handedly saving the Tasty Treat."

Octavia stared at Trixie, puzzled, and asked, "What on Earth are you talking about?"

"You mean you haven't heard?" Trixie asked. "Everybody is talking about it. Adagio and her sisters brought tons of people to the restaurant to raise money and then pitched in exactly the rest of the money that the owners of the Tasty Treat needed to save their precious restaurant. She has been hailed as a hero throughout the school."

Octavia furrowed her brow and said, "Don't believe everything you hear, Trixie. Adagio Dazzle did bring some people and gave a generous donation, but saving the Tasty Treat was saved through the passion and hard work my friends and I put into making the appropriate money."

Trixie snickered, which irritated Octavia more.

"Hard work? Trixie finds that hard to believe. Especially with that new kid, Rough Draft," she said.

Octavia's look of disregard evaporated into confusion, and she asked, "What do you mean?"

"Wow, there's a lot of juicy intel you don't know," Trixie said with a cackle. "Word is he was sitting next to Adagio Dazzle while the Dazzlings were eating dinner. He was there until one of his friends came and put him back to work.

Octavia looked at Trixie, dumbfounded, and said, "I can't believe that. Rough Draft wouldn't interact with Adagio Dazzle like that."

"Are you sure?" Trixie asked with a smug grin. "There were a lot of people who saw it happen. Personally, Trixie wonders if the queen bee has decided to settle on a real relationship. If that's true, then Rough Draft is a very lucky guy."

Octavia winced and felt a twinge of fear in her heart.

"What makes you so sure? Everyone knows that Adagio Dazzle is very manipulative. Even Rough Draft knows it.” she said.

"Trixie doubts it," Trixie said with a smug grin. "If he is that smart, then he wouldn't have let Adagio hold his hand or do nothing while she scooted closer to her while they were talking. Trixie thinks it's clear she has Rough Draft on her hook, and unlike the other guys on her hook, she wants to reel him in for something serious."

Octavia's confidence disappeared as she watched Trixie walk away. She turned her head to the school, imagining me in the music room with Glimmer, with my focus on Adagio. The thought made Octavia's stomach turn. She shook her head and continued walking to her house, trying to force her mind to think about practicing for the wedding.

But try as she might, all she could think about was what Trixie said. She looked down as she walked down the sidewalk, trying to make sense of it.

"Now, don't get ahead of yourself, Octavia," she muttered to herself. "You shouldn't trust what Trixie said. After all, you just met her, and she based her opinion on rumors. People will believe anything."

She stopped waking and bit her lip as she grew uneasy.

"On the other hand, Adagio was mouthing out 'I'll miss you' and winking at Rough Draft before she left, so something must have happened."

The gray girl clenched her teeth and let out an irritated growl. She massaged the top of her head as she began walking again.

"Why is this so difficult?" She asked herself. "Rough Draft said he's smarter than to believe a word Adagio Dazzle says. So, why is he spending time with her? For that matter, why would someone cruel and manipulative want to date someone? She can't possibly find Rough Draft so interesting that she genuinely wants to be with him."

Octavia stops at an intersection, waiting to cross. She stared at the "don't walk" sign as her unease grew.

"Then again, I find him that interesting, so I guess I can understand. Plus, Rarity did say that other girls are interested in Rough Draft and advised that I don't take too long to try something with him, so that adds up," she said. "But that still doesn't explain what Rough Draft could possibly see in her."

The more Octavia thought about it, the more frustrated she got. Then something clicked in her mind, and she raised her head. She took out her phone, ignoring that the sign went from "don't walk" to "walk," and looked up the Siren Cafe. The cafe was not too far away from where Octavia was and she hesitated before putting on a determined face.

"I don't know if Rough Draft has heard Adagio sing, but I'll be the better person and find out what my rival is like as a musician," Octavia said. "I don't think I'll be able to practice if I don't at least try to find out something."

With that, Octavia took a turn from the light and walked to the Siren Cafe. At the front of the building, Octavia saw a poster of the Dazzlings on the front door, with Adagio covering most of the picture. Octavia raised her eyebrow at how the oldest sister made it look like she was the star despite her being in a group with her other sisters. She went inside and adjusted her eyes for a moment with the cafe barely lit with dim lights. Most of the tables were filled with boys by themselves or in groups. Some were doing homework while others were staring at the stage, waiting eagerly for the Dazzlings to perform. Octavia shook her head as she found some of the boys going so far as wearing outfits matching the color of adagio's skin, hair, and outfit.

Octavia walked to the barista to order some tea until she saw Applejack and Granny Smith sitting at a table in the far corner away from the stage. Applejack was reading a textbook while Granny Smith was asleep against her chair. Octavia looked at them, puzzled to see them at the cafe of all places. She wondered if any of our other friends were there, but Applejack and Granny Smith were at a table for two, and there weren't many empty tables.

The barista cleared his throat, breaking Octavia's focus, and she sheepishly chuckled before she made her order and paid for the tea. After the barista gave Octavia her drink, she sat at a table by the windows and away from Applejack and Granny Smith. As curious as she was that Applejack and her grandmother were there, she came to the Siren Cafe to investigate in secret and wanted to keep it that way. Yet Octavia knew she could only hide so much when sitting by windows covered by blinds far away from the stage.

"I wish I thought of bringing a jacket and a hat or something, " she thought.

Spotlights shined on the stage, and the audience cheered as though they were in a concert. Adagio, Aria, and Sonata entered the stage, with Sonata waving and Aria forcing a smile to hide her contempt. Adagio smirked and blew kisses at the boys in the audience. Some of them squealed and looked away bashfully. One fainted as though Adagio had kissed him, and it was too much for him to bear. Octavia grew unsettled as she worried I would act like one of the guys if I were there, yet a voice in her mind argued I was smarter than that.

A low, slow tune began to play on the speakers, and the Dazzlings began to sing. Octavia took a sip of her tea as she listened. All three girls had beautiful, soothing voices, yet Octavia couldn't deny that Adagio had the strongest and most enchanting voice. She sang with her head held high and a smile that melted the hearts of her audience. Octavia tilted her head as she realized the Dazzlings weren't singing about anything.

"Strange. I thought there'd be lyrics by now," Octavia thought. "Is Adagio so proud that she thinks all she needs is her voice and looks to get boys on her hook? Clearly, that's enough for these boys, but I can't imagine Rough Draft enjoying just the vocalizing. Then again, he enjoys hearing me play when it's just me and my cello, so -"

"Hey, Octavia."

Octavia jumped, nearly spilled her tea. She turned to see Applejack standing next to her with a friendly smile, then turned back to the stage where the Dazzlings were still performing, not looking at her or Applejack. Octavia sighed, relieved that her cover wasn't blown, before turning to Applejack.

"Applejack, what a surprise," she said. "Didn't expect to see you here."

"Granny and I come here sometimes," Applejack said. "She likes to watch Sonata perform."

"She does? Why Sonata specifically?" Octavia asked. "Does it have to do with some of us becoming her friends?"

"Actually, no. Granny's been fond of Sonata for a while," Applejack said. "Big Mac and I have warned her about the Dazzlings, but she ignores us, insisting that Sonata is an exception even though she only sees her during lunch. Guess she saw something in Sonata that no one else has seen but Rough Draft."

Octavia smiled at the mention of me being defensive about Sonata.

"So, are you here too because Rough Draft and I have been befriending her?" She asked.

"More or less. Granny never comes to see Sonata after she performs to tell her a good job because she fears that might cause trouble with the other Dazzlings, but I think she considers it enough that there's at least one person here specifically for Sonata Dusk when the rest of the customers worship the ground Adagio Dazzle stands on," Applejack explained. "Speaking of customers, what brings you to the Siren's Cafe?

"Er, well, I heard they have some good tea, so I decided to try a cup," Octavia fibbed.

"Shouldn't you be at home rehearsing for the wedding tomorrow?" Applejack asked.

"Yes, but I always like having a little spot of tea before I play," Octavia said.

"I see. Mind if I join you?" Applejack asked.

"Not at all," Octavia said.

With a smile, Applejack grabbed a chair from a nearby table and sat next to Octavia. Octavia took another sip of her tea as she and Applejack returned to watching the Dazzlings sing. The three sisters began a new song that was faster in tempo. Halfway through their song, Aria and Sonata stepped back while Adagio stepped up until she was at the edge of the stage. While her sisters performed the backup, Adagio showed off her range as a singer going from one octave to another at a fast pace while sticking to the beat. Octavia hated to admit it, but her rival had unnatural musical talent. Not even she could go up back and forth several octaves with her cello as quickly as Adagio could with her voice. As the Dazzlings performed other songs, Octavia felt discouraged with what I thought of Adagio as a musician compared to her, for not even she could deny that her supposed rival was as talented as she was alluring.

Finally, the Dazzlings finished their last song, and the audience applauded with some tossing roses on the stage. Granny stood up as she applauded like Sonata was the star. The Dazzlings bowed, and Adagio blew kisses before they went backstage. A member of the staff went to pick up the flowers. No one seemed to mind that the Dazzlings didn't take any, with the boys either thinking they weren't allowed to take them or Adagio simply didn't notice them.

After Octavia and Applejack finished applauding, Octavia chugged the rest of her tea. She felt she witnessed all she needed to know about Adagio as a potential rival, and she didn't want to pretend around Applejack more than she needed to. When she finished her cup, Octavia cleared her throat, grabbed her backpack, and stood up.

"Well, it was nice to see you, Applejack, but I fear I must be going," Octavia said.

"Hold on, Octavia. I have something to discuss with you," Applejack said.

Octavia flinched, uneasy with how Applejack spoke like a parent who knows her child did something wrong. She reluctantly sat back down and faced Applejack, trying to look innocent. Applejack furrowed her brow and crossed her arms.

"Why have you been lying to me?" She asked.

"Lying? What makes you think I've been lying?" Octavia asked.

"I can always tell when people are lying no matter what," Applejack said matter-of-factly. "Even if I couldn't, you didn't act particularly surprised to see me when I walked over to you, which means you saw Granny and me before. The fact that you drank the rest of your tea and tried to leave so quickly shows you aren't here just to try the tea before practicing your cello. In fact, I bet my boots that you were so eager to leave because you actually did mind that I join you. The only thing you said was the honest truth: you didn't expect to see me here. So, be straight with me. What are you trying to hide it?"

When Applejack finished, Octavia's mouth was hanging agape, and she stood paralyzed. To Octavia, it was as if Applejack had a superpower to do the impossible, not unlike Pinkie Pie. She wondered if it was something that ran in the family, remembering hearing about Pinkie Pie and Applejack being related. After half a minute, Octavia sighed and hung her head.

"Alright, you got me," she said. "I came here to watch Adagio Dazzle perform."

Applejack raised her eyebrow and asked, "Now, why would you do a thing like that?"

"I heard from someone at school that Rough Draft was sitting next to Adagio Dazzle while the Dazzlings were at the Tasty Treat, and she was holding his hand. She said Adagio might be looking for a real relationship and has her eyes on Rough Draft. I got worried that Rough Draft was letting his guard down with Adagio, and then I wondered if there was something he saw in her. I came here to watch her sing and see if that might factor in Rough Draft potentially liking her."

"Hmmm. I see," Applejack said. "Is there any other reason that you're worried?"

Octavia winced and bit her lip.

"Well, I might have developed an…interest in Rough Draft…romantically," she confessed. "And I've been informed that there are other girls who share a similar interest in him. When I heard about what might be happening between Adagio and Rough Draft, I grew concerned that she is either misleading him or is sincere about wanting him."

It was Applejack's turn to be stunned. She tried to think of something to say, but her mouth hung wide open. So much time was spent telling me to be careful with my feelings, and Octavia felt the same. The irony hurt Applejack's head.

"Well…that's…news," Applejack managed to say.

"Yes, imagine it would be a bit of a shock," Octavia said. "I hope you understand that I want you to be silent about this, Applejack. To be frank, I'm uncomfortable with how many people know."

"I hear ya. I won't say a word," Applejack promised. "Who else knows about this?"

"I'd rather not share that information if you don't mind," Octavia said.

"Fine, but at least tell me this: do you plan to confess your feelings to Rough Draft? Are you hoping that he'll say yes to dating you if you tell him?" Applejack asked.

Octavia flushed and played with her fingers.

"I've been thinking about it," she said. "Do you think he would?"

For half a minute, Applejack said nothing. Part of her was still not entirely convinced that my hopes to pursue something with Octavia could come true. For one brief moment, the edges of Applejack's mouth curled up, but then she frowned as Applejack: the voice of reason, returned. Applejack sighed and stood up to put her hand on Octavia's shoulder.

"Listen, Octavia. I don't want any misunderstanding with what I've got to say. Between you and someone like Adagio Dazzle, you would have my blessing to try to pursue something with my friend," Applejack said.

"I'm sensing a but," Octavius said.

"I'm afraid you are," Applejack said. "But whether Rough Draft would return your feelings or not, you still have Blueblood to worry about."

Octavia's concerned face turned into a cold frown, and she said, "Blueblood has no right to be my concern anymore. We are on a break, and the odds of Blueblood changing for the better are slim at best. Full disclosure, I would count on me dumping him whether I confess to Rough Draft or not."

"That may be, but I think we both know that if you dump Blueblood, he won't leave it at that,'' Applejack said. "He'll probably do whatever it takes to make you take him back, and he probably won't stop until he does."

"Let him try. I am not some stock or business product that he can pursue to the ends of the Earth to buy with his money," Octavia said.

"And what about Rough Draft? Have you thought about what Blueblood may do to him if you date someone he hates?" Applejack asked.

Octavia's cold demeanor vanished. In all the time she considered pursuing a relationship with me, it never crossed her mind how enraged Blueblood would be if she specifically dumped him to be with me. Octavia couldn't deny that Blueblood would have every right to be upset at best with his long-term girlfriend dumping him to be with the guy that punched him off the balcony, accident or not. As much as Octavia didn't want to admit it, she wouldn't put past Blueblood going back on his promise to leave me alone and not suing my family. Blueblood had failed to keep his word several times as Octavia's boyfriend. It stood to reason that he would show little to no care about his word if Octavia made herself his enemy. Applejack's heart grew heavy as she watched her words sink into Octavia.

"I don't want to discourage you, Octavia. You deserve someone a million times better than the likes of Blueblood, and Rough Draft is a good guy," Applejack said.

"I understand and appreciate that, Applejack," Octavia said. "It seems like even if I end things with Blueblood, he would never completely be out of my life unless, by some miracle, he moves on. One thing I know about Blueblood is he is as stubborn as a mule."

"More like a pack of mules if you ask me," Applejack said.

Octavia snickered before her face turned glum again.

"Well, do you know anything about Adagio wanting to date Rough Draft?" Octavia asked.

Applejack winced and looked away, which was all Octavia needed.

"I see," Octavia said before standing up. "Well then, at least I can ensure my rival doesn't try anything with the boy I like."

"Wait a minute. You won't try to date Rough Draft, but you'll stop anyone else from trying to get him?" Applejack asked.

"Not everyone, per se. There may be another girl crushing on him, but I've got my sights on stopping Adagio Dazzle," Octavia said. "After all, we both want her to stop trying to win Rough Draft. Right?"

"Yeah, but it sounds like you're going to take out the fact that Blueblood would do something to stop you and Rough Draft from being together on Adagio," Applejack said. "You're sounding as stiff-necked as she and Blueblood are, and you still don't even know if Rough Draft would return your feelings if you confess."

"Then I guess Blueblood, Adagio, and I are going to be stubborn regarding our respective views about Rough Draft, but at least I have his best interest at heart," Octavia said. "If I can't have Rough Draft as my boyfriend, I can at least protect him as his friend. Until then, he'll be mine all night tomorrow, and Adagio Dazzle, Blueblood, and my second rival can't do a thing about it."

Applejack stood flabbergasted as Octavia grabbed her backpack. She opened her mouth to protest, but Octavia put on her backpack, then pulled Applejack to a one-armed hug.

"Thank you, Applejack. I needed this talk," Octavia said. "See you on Monday."

"Wait. Hold on. Octavia!" Applejack called out.

But by the time Applejack called out her name, Octavia was already out the door. Applejack took a step to follow Octavia, then she stopped herself, realizing she shouldn't leave Ganny alone in the cafe. She hung her head and let out a heavy sigh before scratching the back of her head.

"Rough Draft wants to be with Octavia, Octavia wants to be with Rough Draft, Adagio Dazzle is trying to woo Rough Draft, and Blueblood will do anything to keep Octavia. If that ain't enough, Rarity still wants to win Blueblood on top of a third girl having a thing for Rough Draft," Applejack said before she sighed. "Lord, help us. I fear there's going to be chaos."

"Applejack, get your hiney back over here! The next show's gonna start soon!" Granny Smith called out.

Applejack paused before she walked back to her and Granny Smith's table. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to Applejack, Adagio was peeking through the curtains throughout Applejack and Octavia's conversation. Though lights shined brightly in front of the dazzlings, the leader had little trouble seeing Octavia watch their performance despite sitting in the far back. Adagio relished seeing Octavia be uneasy as she watched her and her sisters perform. As soon as the show ended, Adagio watched behind the curtains instead of going backstage. After hearing Applejack and Octavia's conversation, Sonata looked behind her, uneasy and frightened. All the youngest dazzling could do was look at her oldest sister in silence and fear as Adagio grinned.

"Very well, Octavia Melody. Let there be war."