• Published 15th Mar 2019
  • 940 Views, 34 Comments

The Nerd and the Cellist - HAKDurbin



A story of a nerdy guy named Rough Draft who secretly wishes to be with Octavia Melody despite the fact that she's dating Blueblood.

  • ...
10
 34
 940

Chapter 3

“He did WHAT?!”

I'm at Sugarcube Cafe with Soarin, Caramel, Applejack, Big Mac, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Starlight Glimmer, and I just told them what happened when I approached Octavia Melody to return her ring to her. Everyone looked at me in shock except Starlight Glimmer, who just looked at me confused.

“Wait, so this Blueblood guy that we're all supposed to avoid invited you to dinner with his girlfriend, Octavia Melody, because she kinda convinced him to?” She asked.

I shrugged and said, “Pretty much, yeah.”

Rarity frowned bitterly and crossed her arms in jealousy.

“Well, lucky you,” she said. “I don't suppose he said you could bring a friend, did he?”

I gave Rarity a sad smile, knowing that she is hoping I would invite her so she can be close to Blueblood.

“Sorry, Rarity, he didn't,” I said. “But if I get the chance to another time, I'll let you know. Promise.”

Rarity smiled, satisfied with my answer. Soarin, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash, on the other hand, looked at me suspiciously.

“Rough Draft, did you accept their offer because it means you can be near Octavia Melody?” Rainbow Dash asked. “Tell us honestly. Applejack can tell when someone is lying.”

I stared at Rainbow Dash, confused and turned to Applejack, asking, “Is that true?”

“You bet your boots, it's true,” Applejack answered. “You twist the truth even just a little bit and I'll call you out.”

“She'll do it, Rough Draft,” Caramel said. “Take it from a guy who works at her farm. You should never lie to Applejack.”

I stared at Caramel, unsure of how to respond before I decide to trust him and say, “Well, I’m curious about the restaurant that I’ll get to eat for free, so Octavia Melody isn’t the only reason.”

“Oh, come on!” Soarin rebuked. “Are you so smitten with her just because she’s pretty that you’ll stalk her every chance you get even though she’s with someone?”

I scratched the back of my head and said, “Yeah, I know. It does seem like I’m only doing this because of her looks, but I want to believe that there’s more to her than meets the eye.”

“What do you mean?” Starlight Glimmer asked as she sipped on her milkshake.

I sighed and said, “I don’t know how to explain it. I just have...a feeling that she’s a better person than someone like Blueblood deserves, especially after how she disapproved of the way Blueblood treated Sonata and me. Maybe she’s a nice person who wants to change Blueblood’s cruel ways as his girlfriend.”

“She better not be trying. That’s my future job,” Rarity snarled.

“Easy, Rarity,” Fluttershy said nervously as she rubbed her best friend’s back.

Soarin and Rainbow Dash looked at me skeptically before turning to Applejack. The apple farmer looked at them and sighed before she said, “He’s telling the truth.”

Soarin frowned and said, “Well, you should still be careful. Even if what you say is true, the fact is she’s with someone else.”

“I know,” I said with a sigh. “But I hope I can at least be friends with her like I am with Sonata.”

Once again, everyone looked at me, surprised.

“You befriended one of the Dazzlings?!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

“Wow, Rough Draft, you have a lot of guts today,” Pinkie Pie said with a teasing grin.

“I know how it sounds, but it feels right that I did it,” I said. “She told me how her sisters treat her and look down on her, and she just wanted a friend. How can I not understand that after having no friends at all until I met you guys?”

Applejack sighed and said, “Well, that much I can understand. Sonata does appear to be the nicest one out of the three Dazzlings. Lord knows my Granny Smith is fond of her.”

I looked at Applejack, confused, and asked, “Granny Smith?”

“Oh yeah, I don’t think anyone has told you,” Caramel said with a smile. “Applejack and Big Mac’s grandmother, Granny Smith, is the old woman who works at the school cafeteria.”

“Really? The old woman with green skin is your grandmother?” I asked Applejack and Big Mac, surprised.

“Eeyup,” Big Mac said plainly.

“Sure is,” Applejack said with a proud smile. “Anyway, Granny seems to care for Sonata since she likes to talk about her sometimes. Apparently, the Dazzlings have lunch period before us, and Granny likes to give Sonata an extra apple on her lunch tray secretly. They don’t seem to talk to each other or anything, but I guess Granny has a feeling she’s a nice girl who’s in a bad situation.”

“Now see, that sounds like something that supports what I’m doing,” I claimed. “I may have just met Sonata, but I know just from her trying to defend me that she’s at least nice unlike Adagio. If Granny can be that confident about Sonata, why can’t I with maybe becoming friends with Octavia Melody?”

Caramel, Soarin, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack gave each other looks of concern. Starlight Glimmer hummed in thought before she smiled and turned to the group.

“Well, if he just wants to be friends with her, then I don't see the harm with that,” she said. “I mean the way you guys talk about her and Blueblood, it seems clear that she doesn't have any friends either. Maybe it wouldn't hurt if Rough Draft tries to be her friend, right?”

“Absolutely!” Pinkie Pie said. “Everyone should have a friend. If Rough Draft has a chance to be a friend to someone who doesn't have one, then he should take it. Right, Fluttershy?”

“Um, yes?” Fluttershy says unsure.

“But aren't you overlooking the fact that Rough Draft still has an obvious crush on Octavia Melody?” Caramel pointed out.

I winced, hoping no one was going to bring it up again.

“Yeah, he does,” Soarin said before turning to me. “So, how do we know you aren't doing this to try to break her and Blueblood up?”

“If he is, then he has my blessing,” Rarity said.

Soarin, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack glared at Rarity before turning to me for an answer.

“No, I'm not trying to break them up,” I said honestly. “I mean yes, part of me does wish she wasn't with him, but I mean it when I say I'm perfectly okay with just being friends. Besides, even if she was single, how would she be interested in a guy like me, anyway?”

“Aw, come on, Rough Draft. Don't be so hard on yourself. Any girl would be lucky to date someone like you. I'm sure or it,” Pinkie Pie chirped.

“I agree,” Starlight Glimmer said while giving me a kind smile. “In fact, I'm willing to bet you’ll find someone special long before this school year is over.”

I gave both girls appreciative smiles and said, “That's very kind of you to say, but I should clarify. I mean, I don't think I would be her type since she likes someone like Blueblood.”

Starlight Glimmer frowned for a moment before she smiled again and said, “I understand, but at least you'll have another new friend if you succeed, right?”

“Right,” I said with a smile.

Applejack sighed and said, “Alright, Rough Draft. If you really mean it, then do your best. But be sure to stick to being only friends with Octavia Melody. Remember, Blueblood is still possessive of his girl.”

“You don't need to tell me, Applejack,” I said, rubbing my throat. “Believe me; my throat still hurts from his grip.”

Starlight Glimmer winced at the way I was massaging my neck. Applejack, however, nodded and patted me on the back.

“You're a good guy, Rough Draft,” she said. “Be sure you stay that way.”

I smiled and gave her a firm nod.

***********************************************************************

My friends and I continued to talk for a couple of hours at Sugercube Cafe even after our drinks were long finished. Afterward, we went our separate ways with Pinkie Pie and I heading to our respective houses in our block.

“Say, Pinkie,” I began. “Have you ever been to the Tasty Treat?”

Pinkie Pie's eyes lit up, and she said, “Oh yes. Practically a dozen times already. The food is super-duper delicious.”

“Oh good,” I said with a little smile. “Is it a place where you need to dress up at all? I mean, I'm having dinner with a rich couple after all.”

Pinkie Pie giggled like a child getting tickled and said, “Of course not, silly. You can dress normally there. Plus, Coriander Cumin and his daughter, Saffron Masala, are very friendly. They came here from Saddle Arabia to open their restaurant here in Canterlot.”

“Saddle Arabia? That's cool,” I said intrigued.

“It sure is,” Pinkie Pie said with a smile. “But if you're anxious about looking nice to impress Octavia Melody, I suggest a nice polo shirt if you got one.”

I frowned and said, “Hold on, I didn't say I am trying to impress -”

“You also didn't say you aren't either,” Pinkie Pie said teasingly as she winked and elbowed me. “Good luck.”

Before I could say anything else, the pink girl hopped to her front door and entered her house. I stared at the closed door for a moment before I sighed and started heading to my house, muttering, “Why do I get the feeling I'll never get used to her?”

I went home and found a black polo shirt in my closet that I barely use. I put it on and checked myself in the mirror before looking up directions to the Tasty Treat and headed out. By the time I got there, it was 6:51, according to my phone, and so I decided to stand next to the door and play a game on my phone.

After a couple of minutes of playing, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned my head around only to feel my heart skip a beat at the sight of Octavia Melody standing next to me with a small smile on her face.

“Mr. Draft, good to see you found your way here,” she greeted. “You even came here a little early. I'm impressed.”

I smiled and said, “Well, Blueblood did say 7:00 sharp, and this isn't too far from my house, so I thought it best to make sure I'm here early, Octavia Melody.”

Octavia Melody let out a chuckle under her breath and said, “Oh please, just call me Octavia. I know saying my full name can be a mouthful.”

My smile brightened, and I said, “Alright, then you can just call me Rough Draft. No need to address me so formally unless you want to.”

Octavia smiled and said, “Okay. Rough Draft it is.”

The two of us stayed silent for several seconds before we both started to look for something to say next.

“So, uh,” I began awkwardly. “Is Blueblood on his way?”

Octavia's smile faltered, and she turned her head to stare at Crystal City in the distance.

“I hope so,” she said with a hint of weariness in her voice. “Blueblood did have a meeting to go to after he gave me a ride home from work.”

“A meeting?” I asked.

“Yes, Blueblood has a part-time job in his father's company," Octavia explained.

"Oh, that's nice," I said politely.

“Yes, it is,” Octavia said. “But, I rarely see him anymore apart from school. He's been constantly late on dates and other occasions because of it. He's even had to have someone record me playing my cello at a concert.”

I frowned at the way Octavia was feeling glum, but then she eyes widened, and she chuckled nervously, shaking her head.

“I am so sorry,” she chuckled. “I didn't mean to dump that kind of personal information on you.”

“Oh, please don't worry about it,” I said, waving my hands. “It sounds like you have kept that to yourself for a while.”

Octavia sighed and said, “You could say that. I feel I should discuss this with him, but I don't want to be a bother when he is working very hard at his father's company.”

I nodded in understanding and said, “If you don't mind me asking, what does he do in his part-time job?”

“Honestly, I do not know,” Octavia answered. “Whenever I ask, he just tells me it's private.”

I frowned again and said, “That sounds strange.”

“I suppose it would sound strange to you, but I think it's clear that whatever it is, it must be important,” Octavia said, trying to sound reassuring before her face turned sad again. “Still, I wish he would try to be around more and find some way to be more open to me about his work.”

My face saddened while Octavia looked away from me, deep in thought about her relationship. I wished there was something I could do besides merely saying, “I'm sorry,” knowing that would do very little. Just then, I heard a car honk and Octavia, and I turned to see a limousine parking on the sidewalk. Octavia sighed in relief as the back car door opened to reveal Blueblood eyeing his watch before looking up and smiling at Octavia.

“6:59. One minute early,” he said proudly. “Am I forgiven for missing your concert again?”

Octavia walked over to him with a soft smile and gave him a quick peck on the lips that made my heart ache.

“That will depend on how you behave at dinner,” she answered.

Blueblood frowned for a moment before he quickly replaced his frown with a playful smile.

“Very well,” he said before turning to me. “Ah, yes, and here we have the hero of the hour on time as asked.”

I restrained myself from chuckling over him calling me a hero just because I returned the ring and nodded.

“So I am,” I replied.

Blueblood scoffed and walked over to me so that he could speak without Octavia hearing him.

“Well, it's splendid to know that even common people have the courtesy to be punctual,” he said condescendingly.

I felt my blood boil at his words and wanted to punch him in the face. Fortunately, before my hands turned into fists, Octavia stepped in with a smile, wrapping her arm around Blueblood's arm.

“Right, now that we are all here, shall we go in?” She suggested.

I calmed down at the sight of her so friendly and clueless about the way her boyfriend talked down to me. I forced myself to smile for her and gave a sharp nod.

“Yes, let's,” Blueblood said. “I don't know about you, dear, but I am famished beyond expression.”

Octavia smiled at her boyfriend as the three of us entered the restaurant. As soon as we entered, we were met with a fat, short man with brilliant amber skin and dark raspberry hair.

“Welcome to the Tasty Treat,” he greeted in a Saddle Arabian accent. “My name is Coriander Cumin. How can I help you?”

Blueblood cleared his throat loudly and said, “Yes, I reserved a table at the balcony under the name Blueblood.”

Coriander Cumin looked at Blueblood, confused, and took out a clipboard.

“I'm sorry, sir, but I don't seem to have a reservation under that name,” he said.

“What?” Blueblood growled. “I specifically reserved a table exactly 48 hours in advance!”

“Blueblood, calm down,” Octavia said calmly.

“I'll calm down when this man gives us what I called for,” Blueblood snarled.

Coriander Cumin frowned at Blueblood's attitude and said, “Listen here, young man, you cannot just come here and make a fuss claiming -”

“Father, wait!”

Coriander Cumin, Blueblood, Octavia, and I turned our heads to see a teenage girl with brilliant orange skin, dark fuschia hair in a waitress outfit running towards us. She stepped between Coriander Cumin and Blueblood, Octavia, and I before giving the three of us an apologetic bow.

“I'm so, so sorry,” she said humbly. “I forgot to inform my father about your reservation. I have your table all ready for you.”

Coriander Cumin looked at the girl confused and said, “What are you talking about, Saffron Masala? There is no reservation for -”

But before he could continue, the girl named Saffron Masala covered his mouth with her hand and gave us a nervous grin.

“Please excuse us for one moment,” she said.

Blueblood scoffed and rolled his eyes impatiently as Saffron Masala turned Coriander Cumin around so that their backs were facing us. Octavia frowned in concern while I looked at the host and waitress curiously.

“Saffron, I know for a fact that we did not make a reservation in the balcony,” I heard Coriander Cumin mutter.

“Father, do you not know who that is?” Saffron Masala rebuked quietly. “That's the son of the head of Blueblood Enterprises, the richest company in the country.”

“And I'm a magical genie in disguise. What is your point?” Her father asked.

“Think about it, father!” Saffron Masala hissed. “If we show Mr. Blueblood and his friends great service and they love our food, he'll tell his father about our restaurant, and that will lead to more people will come.”

Coriander Cumin's eyes widened, and he gave his daughter a sharp nod. Saffron Masala smiled brightly, and the two of them turned around to face Blueblood with a bow.

“A thousand apologies, sir,” the old man said. “It seems I looked at my reservation list wrong. If you would please kindly follow my daughter, she will lead you to your table.”

Blueblood turns to the duo and gives them a fake smile.

“Wonderful. Please lead the way," he said.

Saffron Masala beamed and happily started escorting me, Octavia, and Blueblood, with Blueblood leading behind the waitress. As Saffron Masala was leading us up the stairs to the second floor of the building, however, I couldn't help but glance at Octavia who was being so calm and happy, not notice the way Blueblood was faking his enthusiasm. I began to wonder if Blueblood was hiding the way he treats other people from her.

As I pondered on the matter, Saffron Masala directed us outside to the balcony where a couple of tables were set next to the railing with candles in the center of each of them. The waitress placed a couple of menus on the table and turned to us, saying, “Here you are. Can I get any of you something to drink while you look at your menus?”

“A glass of water would be fine, thank you,” Octavia said politely with a smile.

“A soda would be nice, please,” I answer.

Blueblood opened his mouth to answer, but then his cell phone began to ring, and he took it out.

“Blueblood, please don't tell me it's your father calling from work,” Octavia said worryingly.

“Sorry, dear, but it is,” Blueblood said plainly with his eyes glued to his phone. “I need to take this.”

“You promised me you wouldn't do this," Octavia begged.

But instead of apologizing, Blueblood turned to Saffron Masala and ordered, “I'll have sparkling water, and I'll have whatever she orders,” before he went back inside.

“Blueblood!” Octavia demanded, but her cries fell on deaf ears. She stared at where her boyfriend exited before her face fell, and she hung her head sadly. Saffron Masala and I looked at each other with looks of sympathy for the gray-skinned girl before the waitress cleared her throat.

“I'll go get your drinks,” she said.

I gave her an appreciative nod before she went back inside. For a moment, Octavia and I just stood there until she glumly turned to take a seat at the table. I put up a chair for her, and she gave me a weak smile before she sat down, and I helped myself to a seat on the other side of the table. The two of us stayed quiet for a couple minutes before I cleared my throat.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

Octavia stayed silent for a moment before she glanced and me and muttered, “I'm fine, “ before looking back down. I frowned, knowing that she was anything but fine. I tried to think of something to cheer her up until she looked up to face me with a sad look.

“It feels like Blueblood has been paying less attention to me,” she said. “He glances at me and smiles when we're in class, but even that doesn't seem to have the same meaning anymore.”

“I'm sorry to hear that," I said.

“Thanks,” she said bluntly. “I was hoping he would have paid more attention after you returned my ring.”

I looked at her, confused, and asked, “How do you mean?”

Octavia lifted her hand that's wearing the ring and said, “He gave me this ring on our first anniversary. It's very expensive, and he made me promise never to take it off. He was agitated when he saw me without it the day I bumped into you, but he was so relieved to find it back on my finger.”

“I see,” I said. “So, you hoped he would give you more attention if you found your ring after accidentally losing it?”

“That was the hope, yes,” Octavia confirmed before turning to me. “Friendly advice, Rough Draft: if you ever have a girlfriend, do everything you can to make sure you’re always there for her and that she’s happy.”

“Oh, I intend to,” I said with a smile. “Nothing in the world would make me happier to be in a close relationship like that. If there was someone that I love and she sincerely loves me in return, I would do everything I could to keep her happy with me as if the existence of my very soul depended on it.”

Octavia giggled while covering her mouth with her hand and said, “My, my. You seem to have a lot of conviction. I envy your enthusiasm.”

I chuckled and said, “Well, it helps that I know what it’s like to be alone after living my whole life in Applelosa.”

Octavia looked at me, confused, and asked, “What do you mean?”

“Well, if we’re being honest with each other, I was an outcast,” I answered.

Octavia frowned sadly and asked, “Why would someone outcast a nice person like you?”

I smile appreciatively at her before I answered, “Well, I was interested in things that no one apart from my parents was interested in."

“Oh? Like what?” Octavia queried.

I hesitated before I said, “I’d rather not tell you.”

“Why?” Octavia asked.

“You might find think less of me if I told you,” I answered.

Octavia gave me a disapproving pout and said, “Try me.”

I hesitated again, wanting to say no, but at the same time, I wanted to find out if I can be friends with her just like Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Soarin, Caramel, and the rest of my new friends. I gulped and said with the bravest face I could muster, “It was because I’m a nerd."

Octavia looked at me, confused, and asked, “You mean like one of those people who likes video games and comics and all that stuff?”

“Exactly,” I said.

Octavia looked at me skeptically and asked, “Whatever is wrong with that? I may not big into stuff like that, I grant you, but that’s hardly a reason to think badly about someone. I certainly don’t think less of you just because you are a nerd.”

I looked at her with a small smile and asked, “Do you really mean that?”

“Well, of course,” she said with a reassuring smile. “Why would you think otherwise?”

I frowned and said, “Well, people at Applelosa did think less of me for being one. I never had a day where I had a friend there much less had ever met someone who would date me. I have friends that like me for who I am now at Canterlot High, but back at that lousy town, having anyone care about me worth spit was a pipe dream at best.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry,” Octavia says.

“Thanks,” I replied. “Anyway, my point is a lot of my conviction over what i would do if i had a girlfriend comes from always being alone. So I’m happy with the friends I have now, and I swear to you I would be the same if I ever got together with someone.”

“Well, that’s good to hear,” Octavia said, approvingly.

I smiled at her, and she smiled back until Saffron Masala stepped in with a kind smile.

“Have you decided what to order?” she asked.

Octavia and I looked at each other, realizing we haven’t looked at our menus. We quickly picked them up and looked through them with Saffron Masala waiting patiently before we made our choices.

“I’ll have the tandoori chicken, please,” I said politely.

“And my boyfriend and I will have the fish curry,” Octavia said.

“Excellent choices,” Saffron Masala said with a friendly smile as she took our menus. “We’ll have your meals read right away.”

“Thank you,” Octavia and I said at the same time as the waitress went back inside.

After that, the two of us were silent for a couple of minutes. I started to think of something else to say before Octavia spoke first.

“You know, I sort of know what it’s like to not have any friends, Rough Draft,” she said.

“You do?” I asked, confused.

Octavia nodded and said, "I have. You see -"

But at that moment, Blueblood came back with his hand held high and said, "Alright, business is taken care of."

Octavia glared at her boyfriend while I looked at him disapprovingly. Blueblood frowned at us and claimed, "Now, don't look at me that way. That was an important call."

"More important than me?" Octavia snarled.

Blueblood waved his hands and said, "Of course not, but -"

"Then turn off your phone," Octavia commanded.

Blueblood's frown deepens, and he said, "Now look here, Octavia, I understand that you are displeased, but asking me that is crossing the line."

"I'm not asking you, Blueblood. I'm telling you," Octavia countered.

"But what if there's a call that needs my immediate attention?" Blueblood protests.

"Then, they will have to deal with it for the night!" Octavia barked. "Now turn off that phone, sit next to be, and stay there!"

For several seconds the balcony was silent. Then Blueblood huffed in annoyance, took out his phone, and turned it off. He then walked over to the seat next to Octavia and silently sat on it with a wooden face. The three of us are silent until Saffron Masala came back with a tray of food.

"Alright, the tandoori chicken, for you," she said, putting down my food in front of me. "And the fish curry for you two."

Blueblood didn't acknowledge that the waitress was there while Octavia and I turned to Saffron Masala and smiled.

"Thank you," I said. "It all looks delicious."

"Indeed. I'm impressed that you had it ready so quickly," Octavia added.

Saffron Masala smiled warmly and said, "My father and I aim to make sure our customer's food is both delicious and delivered in a timely matter. Anyway, please enjoy."

Octavia and I nodded as Saffron Masala left, and Blueblood gets ready to start eating before Octavia grabbed his hand holding his fork.

"We need to pray first, dear," Octavia said.

Blueblood frowned, and begrudgingly puts down his fork and places his hands together while Octavia and I also placed our hands together and bowed our heads.

"Dear Lord, thank you for this food and bless it to our bodies," Octavia began. "And bless our time together, getting to know Rough Draft, who kindly brought back my ring. It's in your name we pray amen."

"Amen," I said.

"Amen," Blueblood said nonchalantly before we started eating

For a minute, we ate quietly for until Octavia decided to look at me and ask, "How's the chicken, Rough Draft?"

"It's good," I answered. "How about the curry?"

"It's adequate for a restaurant in the suburbs," Blueblood answered before Octavia can speak.

"Dear, behave," Octavia said disapprovingly before she turned to me and smiled. "The curry is exquisite. I'm certainly impressed with how they made such a good dish like this in such a short amount of time."

"Well, I guess it comes to show that Saffron Masala and her dad didn't call this place the Tasty Treat for nothing," I said with a smile.

Octavia and I both chuckled, and she said, "Indeed."

Blueblood looked at us, suspiciously over the way we were getting along. As Octavia and I went back to our food, he decided to clear his throat to gain my attention.

"So, Mr. Draft, I understand that you're new to Canterlot," he said.

I looked at him skeptically, knowing he was forcing himself to act like he was interested. I wanted to call him out on it, but I didn't want to disturb Octavia while she's eating, knowing that she's upset with Blueblood already.

"Yes, I came from Appleloosa," I replied.

"Ah, I hear they produce good apples there," Blueblood said.

"I wouldn't know because I had little interest in the apples that grew there," I said.

"Oh? And why's that?" Blueblood asked.

I frowned, realizing that my answer would be related to the fact that I'm a nerd, and I didn't trust Blueblood to react to it the same way that Octavia did.

"I was simply interested in other things," I answered.

"Like what?" Blueblood asked.

"Just other things," I said.

Blueblood raised his eyebrow, and his fake friendly smile turned into an amused smirk. My phony smile faltered slightly as I realized that he figured out that I was hiding something.

"Oh, come now, dear boy. Don't be shy," he said. "You can tell me."

"Don't worry about it," I said. "It's my business."

"Now, now, you shoul -" Blueblood began before Octavia put her hand in front of his mouth.

"Dear, that's enough," she said. "It's rude to pry."

I sighed and gave Octavia a thankful smile. She smiled back while Blueblood frowned and moved Octavia's hand away from him.

"Honestly, dear, I'm just asking a simple question," he protested.

"And he doesn't want to answer," Octavia said in a disciplining tone. "If Rough Draft doesn't want to talk about the nerdy things he's interested in, then that's -"

Octavia's eyes widened, and she covered her mouth before turning her head to see me looking back at her, shocked. Blueblood turned to his girlfriend, surprised before he suddenly burst into laughter.

"Nerdy? You mean you're one of those losers that obsesses in video games and comics and all of those dorky things?" He giggles.

I looked away from him coldly, refusing to answer his question directly. Unfortunately, my silence was all Blueblood needed. He started to laugh harder, making me wince. Even though I don't care about what someone like Blueblood thinks about me, his mockery made me feel like I'm back in Appleloosa. All the times where other kids would make fun of me for being the way I am were flooding make into my memory as he laughed with a wicked sense of glee.

Octavia gave me an apologetic look before she glared at Blueblood and said, "Blueblood, stop laughing at him!"

"I can't help it," Blueblood said in mid laughter. "It's the most hilarious thing I've heard in ages. To think that we've been having dinner with someone who wastes her time on the most silly and insignificant things is just -"

"At least I don't put things before my girlfriend!" I shouted.

Blueblood stops laughing, and he looked at me flabbergasted as he asked. "What did you say?"

"You heard me!" I barked. "I don't give a crap how important your nice job is! You shouldn't treat your girlfriend as second-rate! I may not have known Octavia for very long, but I know she is a caring person who cares about your relationship and that's more than enough reason for me to think of you as nothing less of an uptight, inconsiderate pig!"

Blueblood and Octavia were speechless at my outburst. I turned to Octavia, who looked at me as if I said a dark secret in front of her boyfriend. I gave her apologetic look, realizing that I went too far before Blueblood grabbed me by my shirt and pulled me towards him.

"You dare criticize me about my relationship?!" He yelled. "I am the Prince of Manehatten! You should be kissing my shoes for allowing you to be in my presence or let you see her face! No one tells me what I should or shouldn't do! Octavia Melody is mine and -"

"Blueblood, watch out!" Octavia shouted.

Blueblood and I looked at Octavia, confused until we heard the faint sound of fire burning something. We looked down to see that Blueblood's right elbow is so close to the candle that's his suit caught on fire. Blueblood screamed in alarm as he let go of me and started waving his arm, hysterically screaming, "PUT IT OUT! PUT IT OUT! PUT IT OUT! PUT IT OUT!"

Octavia quickly grabbed her glass of water and ran over to Blueblood to put out the fire with it, but Blueblood was flailing his arm so much that she can't get an opening to where the fire is.

"Blueblood, stop moving!" She cried out.

I looked around to think of something to do until I see my soda and Blueblood's sparkling water. Without thinking, I grabbed them with both of my hands and threw both of them at Blueblood, hoping to get his arm by chance. The drinks hit Blueblood in the face, but it made him stop moving, allowing Octavia to put out the fire with her water. She checked where the fire was and sighed in relief.

"Thank the Lord," she said before turning to me. "We got it out before it got to his skin."

I let out my own relieved sigh and turned to Blueblood and asked, "Are you alright?"

But instead of responding, Blueblood just stood there like a statue. After a moment, he looked down at his burned sleeve and stared at it. Octavia and I looked at each other concerned before Blueblood let out a scream of horror.

"My suit!" He screamed before turning to me angrily. "You ruined my suit!"

I looked at him dumbfounded and said, "That's what you're worried about? You could have been burned."

"This is one of the finest and most expensive suits money can buy!" He barked while walking around the table to face me. "You intentionally destroyed my suit that costs more than you could make in ten lifetimes!"

I frowned and said, "Dude, I didn't ruin anything. You just didn't watch where your arm was. Heck, if you had just let Octavia put out the fire sooner instead of moving your arm around like a monkey, then your suit wouldn't have been as damaged as it is."

Blueblood's anger rised up and he grabbed me by the throat again. I was choking and trying to push him away from me while Octavia grabbed him from behind and tries to pull him back.

"Blueblood, stop it!" She screamed.

But her cries fell on deaf ears. Blueblood was determined to take out his anger on me no matter what it took. Desperate to breathe again, I punched him in the face, and he finally let go of me. He took a few steps back, taken aback by the punch before he started running toward me again. I moved away before he could grab me, and he ran past me and almost lost his balance close to the rail.

"Blueblood, for heaven's sake, knock it off!" Octavia rebuked. "It's just a suit!"

But Blueblood didn't listen to his girlfriend. He just looked at me with the intent of beating me to a pulp. He charged toward me again, and I closed my fist and gave him the hardest punch I can muster. Blueblood was so taken aback by the blow that he moved back close to the rail. Octavia and I looked in horror, realizing what was about to happen, and I ran toward him.

"Blueblood, watch out!" I shouted. "You're coming too close to the -"

But before I could get to him, Blueblood fell over the rail and, with a high-pitched scream, fell two-stories off the balcony.