• Published 15th Mar 2019
  • 940 Views, 34 Comments

The Nerd and the Cellist - HAKDurbin



A story of a nerdy guy named Rough Draft who secretly wishes to be with Octavia Melody despite the fact that she's dating Blueblood.

  • ...
10
 34
 940

Chapter 6

Meanwhile, while I was walking Octavia home, the Dazzlings were performing at the Siren's Cafe. The restaurant was a well-sized place with customers consisting mainly of high-schoolers drinking coffee and sweets. The windows were covered by blinds, and the only lights on were the spotlights shining blue, purple, green, and yellow on Adagio, Aria, and Sonata, who were on a stage. The three girls were singing a soothing melody while they moved their feet back and forth and slowly waved their hands around as if they were performing in a ballet. The song had no lyrics for them to sing, but none were needed, for the audience were entranced all the same just from the Dazzlings vocalizing.

But while some members of the crowd were watching the trio as a whole, many eyes were fixed on Adagio, in particular, and the orange girl knew it. She danced and sang at the center of the stage with pride as she watched many members of the audience, particularly guys, gazed at her in awe, enamored by her beauty and singing voice. Many she recognized as boys from Canterlot High who regularly came to the cafe to watch her perform, hoping that they might gain special attention for their devotion. Some of them she's manipulated for her evil plans in the past, and yet they still came to watch her sing in adoration, ready to carry out her every command if she needed them to do so. To her, performing in front of them was her favorite part of the day because she took pleasure in seeing those boys watch her perform out of foolish hope that their worship will win her heart.

After singing the last note of the song, the audience roared with applause with Adagio's fans clapping and cheering louder than they needed to and tossing roses at the stage. The Dazzlings bowed, and Adagio blew kisses at her hopeless pawns for good measure. Some of the boys swooned at the gesture, making her chuckle in amusement as she followed Aria and Sonata backstage.

"Ugh, I'm tired of singing that song," Aria complained. "Why can't we get some new material for once?"

"Because Adagio said not to fix what isn't broken," Sonata said.

"That was a rhetorical question, you idiot," Aria snarled.

Sonata flinched and looked down ashamedly like a little child caught doing something she knew she shouldn't do while Adagio rolled her eyes, annoyed with Aria ridiculing her choice of music.

"Irritation over Sonata speaking aside, she is right. I am the leader, and I say there's no reason to change what we sing," she said. "What matters is how much our audience enjoys our performances, and they rightfully adore us."

"And by adoring us, you mean just you," Aria rebuked.

"What are you complaining about, Aria? You don't care about getting the attention," Adagio said.

"Of course, I don't. I just hate that it's all about you," Aria said.

"Of course, it is," Adagio boasted. "After all, I bring in lots of customers, thus making a lot of money for this cafe. It's just that simple."

Aria frowned in annoyance as the three girls made their way to the employee break room, where they sat down on different sides of the table at the center of the room. Adagio took out her laptop from her backpack lying next to her seat while Aria put on her headphones and listened to music on her phone, and Sonata started playing a game on hers. The Dazzlings took their break in silence for a couple of minutes until there was a knock on the door from the other side of the room. Adagio and Sonata turned to the door curiously while Aria stayed still, having not heard the knocking with her headphones on.

"Who is it?" Adagio asked.

"It's me, Camera Flash," said a male voice on the other side of the door.

Adagio smirked and stood up, saying, "Come right in."

The door opened to reveal a scrawny boy with pale yellow skin and messy light-brown hair and wearing round glasses, holding a bouquet of purple and orange flowers. Adagio gave the boy a captivating smile as she walked over to give the boy a hug that made his face turn pink, and his knees wobble.

"Oh, Camera-Wama, I missed you," Adagio cooed as she squeezed him.

Camera Flash muttered incoherent words for a moment before he brought himself to say, "C-c-come on, Adagio. You saw me yesterday."

"I know," Adagio said as she broke the hug and gave Camera Flash a pout. "But that was precisely twenty-nine hours and forty-two minutes ago. That is a dreadfully long time since I last saw your precious face again."

Camera Flash's blush grew, and he asked, "You kept track of how long it's been?"

"I said I would be counting the moments since we last saw each other, didn't I?" Adagio replied with a kittenish look before turning to the bouquet in Camera Flash's hand. "Are those for me?"

"They sure are," Camera Flash answered as he handed the bouquet to Adagio. "I picked the ones that made me think of you the most."

"Aw, aren't you just a gem," Adagio said. "Did you enjoy the show?"

"Of course, I did," Camera Flash stated. "Your singing was just as lovely as ever."

Adagio looked away and giggled, pretending to be bashful from the boy's praise. Camera Flash gave her a goofy smile before his eyes widened and said, "Oh, I almost forgot. I have the pictures you wanted."

Adagio let out an excited gasp and asked, "You finished already?"

"Spent all night fixing them up with Photoshop and Lightroom," Camera Flash answered proudly as he took out a flash drive from his pocket.

"Aw, Camera-Wama, you're a marvel," Adagio cooed. "Let's download the pictures on my laptop."

Camera Flash nodded and followed Adagio to her seat, where he plugged his flash drive into her laptop and started copying files into her desktop. Sonata watched the two of them curiously, and even Aria noticed that Camera Flash was in the room and took off one of her headphones to find out what was going on. Once all of the files were copied, Camera Flash took out his drive, and Adagio sat down to look at them while putting down her bouquet next to her laptop.

"Oh, Camera-Wama, this is magnificent," she praised. "These pictures are more stunning than I imagined."

Aria and Sonata grew more curious while Camera Flash blushed again, saying, "I'm glad you like them. It wasn't easy since I was shooting through the windows from outside."

"Well, it's clear that your hard work has paid off," Adagio said. "I can't thank you enough for doing this."

Camera Flash's face turned from pink to red by Adagio's appreciation. But then his blush vanished, and he gave Adagio a worried look while rubbing his arm.

"Listen, Adagio, I feel silly for asking this, but why did you want pictures of you behaving in front of that guy?" He asked.

Adagio pretended not to know what he was talking about before she gasped and said, "Why, honey drops, you don't think I was making any sincere moves on Rough Draft, do you?"

Aria and Sonata became more eager to find out what was going on while Camera Flash answered, "It's just that you were so close to him and looked like you were having fun flirting with him. And besides, I didn't think you would go anywhere near him after he almost killed a guy."

Adagio frowned, acting like her feelings were hurt, and she stood up to look at the boy dead in the eye.

"Camera Tobias Flash, I'm surprised at you," she rebuked. "You should know by now that my heart belongs to you and you alone. This is simply carrying out some important matters I must carry out in order for me to be ready for us to be together. Besides, I thought you would have found out by now how that wretched rumor isn't true. Why, even Applejack herself has discredited it, and everyone knows she doesn't lie."

Camera Flash looked away, ashamedly, and said, "You're right. I'm sorry, Adagio. I wasn't thinking straight."

Adagio gave Camera Flash a sweet smile and placed her hand under his chin to turn his head to face her again while she said, "Aw, that's okay, honey drops. I understand. It must be hard to see me interacting with another boy like that on top of the fact that he might be dangerous to be around. Just please learn to trust me more and remember that I can take care of myself."

Camera Flash smiled, relieved that he was forgiven, and the two of them stared at each other for several seconds before Adagio let go of the bottom of his chin and said, "Now, if you'll excuse me, I better get to work before our next performance."

The skinny boy gave a glum look, not wanting to leave Adagio's side before he forced a smile on his face and said, "Of course. I better get home anyway. It's probably close to dinner time."

"Then you better run along," Adagio said as she sat back down. "Give my love to your family, Camera-Wama."

"I will," Camera Flash said as he headed to the exit. "Love you, Adagio."

"Love you more, honey drops," Adagio called out.

Camera Flash giggled bashfully before he exited the room. Adagio waited for a moment to make sure he was completely gone before she let out a groan and tossed the bouquet into a trash can.

"Finally. I don't know how I can stand calling him those stupid names," she grumbled. She then started looking through the photos on her laptop for a few seconds before she looked up and noticed Aria and Sonata staring at her. The orange girl rolled her eyes and asked, "What?"

"What do you mean what?" Aria asked. "Did you seriously have that guy take pictures of you and Rough Draft?"

Adagio smirked and proudly said, "I sure did. Have a look."

She turned her laptop around to reveal several pictures of her and me from when she approached me yesterday. Sonata was shocked while Aira raised her eyebrow as Adagio showed them the pictures, ending with a photo of her resting her elbow against the wall while walking her fingers on my chest, giving me an inviting look while I blushed furiously.

"This one's my favorite," Adagio said.

Sonata was unsettled to see pictures of her sister and me while Aria looked at the images with a puzzled look.

"Okay, normally, I don't care about your stupid schemes, but what are you up to, Adagio?" She asked. "The way you've been acting over Rough Draft is kind of abnormal for you."

"Abnormal? How so?" Adagio asked.

Aria took a moment to think about how to phrase her answer and said, "Well, normally it's obvious that you want to use the guy you're targeting to get something you want, but with Rough Draft you don't appear to have a self-centered goal at all. It's as if you actually like this guy."

Adagio smirked and said, "That's because I do. I have a genuine interest to chase Rough Draft."

"Um, you don't mean to chase him so you could...?" Sonata asked, unable to finish her sentence.

Adagio looked at Sonata with a raised eyebrow before she realized what she was implying and glowered at the blue girl, exclaiming, "How dare you think I intend to sleep with Rough Draft, you wicked ingrate!"

Sonata flinched and struggled not to cry from Adagio yelling at her while Aria said, "Actually, I'm with Sonata for once. The way you were hitting on him was more suggestive than normal with the finger walking, constantly stroking his face, and standing really close to him."

Adagio frowned and said, "Well, that's not what I'm planning at all. I may be a manipulative girl, but I am a manipulative girl who knows better than to stoop to something so lazy and desperate to get what I want."

Aria was more bewildered than before and asked, "So, does that mean you actually want to date Rough Draft?"

Adagio looked at Aria as if she asked a question with an obvious answer and said, "Of course, I do."

Aria and Sonata looked at each other, unable to believe what they just heard. They turned to look at Adagio as if she changed into a completely different person.

"Why in the world are you suddenly interested in dating him?" Aria asked.

"What? Can't a girl play the long game once in a while?" Adagio asked. "Besides, as far as boys go, Rough Draft is cuter than any of my loyal fans. Don't you think? He's certainly worth a little kissing here and some cuddling there."

Aria opened her mouth to speak but stopped herself and thought about Adagio's question.

"I guess he has some decent looks compared to guys like Camera Flash," she admitted. "But I don't see you and Rough Draft becoming a thing. He did say he's heard about what you've done against other guys, and I don't think admitting your deeds is going to convince him to give you a real chance."

"I'm well aware of that, Aria," Adagio replied. "That is why I have a few ideas to use these pictures to my advantage in pursuing him. Of course, how I'm going to do that depends on whether or not he will keep his promise."

Aria looked at her older sister skeptically and said, "I'm not optimistic that he's going to do that either."

"Oh, we'll see," Adagio said confidently. "Speaking of which, you have Rough Draft in your last class, don't you, Sonata?"

Sonata became nervous again as she reluctantly admitted, "Yes, I do."

"Do you happen to know if he's been thinking about my little offer?" Adagio asked while resting her head with her hand.

Sonata hesitated, unsure of what to say, but then she remembered about my plan to use spending time assisting Octavia as a means to avoid Adagio, and a small smile entered her face before she immediately removed it before her sisters noticed. Sonata then took a deep breath and pretended to feel bad for Adagio as she answered her question.

"Actually, Adagio, Rough Draft has told me that he hasn't had a chance to think about your deal, and he might not be able to for a long time," she said.

Adagio frowned and snarled, "Why not?"

"Well, you see, Blueblood made Rough Draft agree to work for Octavia Melody as her servant," Sonata explained.

Aria raised her eyebrow while Adagio's frown deepened, and she asked, "What are you talking about?"

"Apparently Blueblood wanted to sue Rough Draft and his family for damaging his suit and knocking him off the balcony, but decided to threaten Rough Draft to be his girlfriend's lackey until he's fully healed and able to go back to school," Sonata answered. "It sounded like Octavia Melody is going to make Rough Draft work to the bone to obey her every command, so it doesn't look like he'll have much time for anything much less think about coming to see you here at the cafe."

Sonata bit her lip, hoping that her deception worked. She knew that my title was Octavia's assistant and that Octavia didn't want to take advantage that I had to work for her, but she decided that phrasing it the way she did would raise my chances of getting away with not keeping my promise. Aria looked at the youngest Dazzling suspiciously while Adagio turned her hands into balls of fists and clenched her teeth with her mouth closed to hide her rising anger, believing Sonata's half-lie.

"I don't think you're telling the truth, Sonata," Aria said.

"I swear, I am," Sonata claimed while holding her hand up and crossing herself. "I know how it sounds, but that's what Rough Draft told me. Besides, it's not too hard to believe that Blueblood would do something like that, is it? I mean, he always acts like everyone has to do whatever he wants because he let that whole 'Prince of Manehattan' thing get to his head."

"Heh. That's true," Aria said, accepting Sonata's logic before saying to Adagio mockingly, "Tough break, Adagio. It looks like you're not going to obtain your purple prince charming any time soon."

Adagio's anger rose from Aria making sport of her desires. Sonata became worried again as her older sister looked like she wanted to scream and smash her laptop like a child throwing a tantrum. It was clear to the blue girl that even if Adagio aimed to make me date her, her interest in me did not involve a genuine relationship. Whether it was just for physical desires like kissing or cuddling like she said or something more sinister, Sonata couldn't tell, and she hoped Adagio would move on from me so that she didn't have to find out. Unfortunately, her hopes were crushed when Adagio's anger melted away into a sly grin.

"Not necessarily, Aria," she said. "I can still get Rough Draft yet."

Aria scoffed and asked, "How do you figure?"

"Think about it," Adagio said. "It should go without saying that it's unfair to be blackmailed by Blueblood over something that was an accident. So, Rough Draft needs someone to comfort and support him while he slaves away. Maybe if I'm clever enough, I could even find a way to save him from Blueblood and his wretched girlfriend so that he doesn't have to be their slave anymore before Blueblood has fully recovered."

Sonata grew afraid of her sister's newfound confidence while Aria looked at Adagio skeptically again.

"Are you seriously thinking of going this far just to get a guy?" She asked. "I think you're becoming desperate."

"Believe what you will, but this will be a win-win for Rough Draft and me," Adagio said confidently. "I'll let Octavia Melody use him for a couple of weeks or so, which by that time he will feel miserable for serving her constantly. That's where I come in and comfort the poor boy and encourage him to hold on. He may still be suspicious over my motives, but when Adagio Dazzle outwits his captives and frees him of his bondage, all his doubt will disappear, and he will finally give me a chance that will lead to him becoming mine. And just like that, I will have my boyfriend and make Blueblood pay dearly."

"Pay dearly? For what? Threatening Rough Draft?" Sonata asked, confused.

Adagio's confidence faltered for a moment, realizing the last thing she said. Sonata tilted her head curiously as Adagio shook her head and claimed, "Uh, yes. Obviously, Sonata."

Sonata kept her head tilted, not believing Adagio. Before she could say anything else, however, Adagio's face suddenly turned serious, and she gave the blue Dazzling a menacing glare.

"By the way, Sonata, I've noticed how you're a little friendly with Rough Draft," she said. "Maybe he somehow found it in his heart to accept an idiot like you as a friend or just tolerates you. I don't care which it is, but I will not let it interfere with my goals. Say one word about my plan to Rough Draft or anyone else, and I will make your life miserable. Am I clear?"

Sonata felt shivers down her spine as her sister's gaze pierced right through her. She gulped fearfully and reluctantly said, "Yes, Adagio."

"Good," Adagio said, satisfied.

Sonata hung her head glumly, wishing Adagio didn't think of threatening her not to warn me. She didn't bother considering the possibility that she could find a way to tell the secret to me or my other friends without Adagio finding out, for she believed that nothing could get past her oldest sister no matter what she did.

While Sonata accepted her defeat, Adagio turned to Aria and said, "The same goes for you too."

Aria scoffed and rolled her eyes before she said, "Fine. Whatever. I just hope you're aware that you probably won't be able to do what you hope to do while Rough Draft is as occupied as Sonata said he is."

But Adagio just turned to her laptop and started stroking the screen with her finger where my face is appearing in a photo as a cunning smile appeared on her face.

"Maybe, but I'm a patient girl. I can wait until Rough Draft is done serving Octavia Melody if I have to," she said. "Besides, that makes plenty of time to think of gestures to woo that boy, and I think I have a good idea of how to do it in a way that involves making my interest in him public."