• Published 15th Mar 2019
  • 940 Views, 34 Comments

The Nerd and the Cellist - HAKDurbin



A story of a nerdy guy named Rough Draft who secretly wishes to be with Octavia Melody despite the fact that she's dating Blueblood.

  • ...
10
 34
 940

Chapter 12

School on Friday went by like a typical day except for the math test Octavia, Starlight Glimmer, and I studied for. When the three of us met for study group after school, Octavia seemed pleased while I hoped I at least got a C. Starlight Glimmer didn't like my lack of confidence, but Octavia encouraged me not to worry, assuring me that I probably did fine, and I blushed, which disturbed Starlight Glimmer before we started doing homework.

After study group ended and I walked Octavia home, I met up with Fluttershy at her house again to practice dancing. After about fifteen minutes, my dancing came out perfect without stepping on Fluttershy's feet at all, and she decided that it was time to practice dancing to the beat. Thus we started again with Fluttershy saying, "one, two, three." It felt awkward for me to move to the beat, but both of us were optimistic about how I was progressing when it was all said and done. I asked if we could meet on Saturday, but Fluttershy said she wouldn't be able to because she, Rarity, and Octavia were going shopping together that day. I was bummed that we couldn't have another session then, but at the same time, I was happy to hear that Octavia was going to hang out with other girls.

Come Saturday, I spent the day staying at home, watching tv, or otherwise writing my Star Wars fanfiction. I was eager to finish the chapter I was on and publish it online soon, wondering if anyone would like it or not. Soarin and Caramel had started to read some of my work, and despite having some critiques, they were enjoying them, which made me hopeful. Every now and then, though, I thought about Octavia's plan to talk to Blueblood about putting them on a break and wondered how breaking the news was going.

As it so happened, roughly around noon, Octavia had left her house to come visit Blueblood, having just finished having lunch with her parents. Rarity and Fluttershy planned to meet her at the mall at one-thirty, so Octavia decided to get her talk with Blueblood done before then. She knocked on the front door to his house, and a maid opened it to let her in. The maid guided her to Blueblood's room on the second floor and left for Octavia to let herself in. Octavia sighed before she knocked on the door.

"Enter," she heard Blueblood say from the other side.

Octavia opened the door and walked in to find Blueblood lying in bed and looking at business documents. Octavia frowned, concerned with how her boyfriend was still focused on work when he should just lie still while healing. Blueblood kept his gaze on his documents until he saw Octavia walking over to his bed from the corner of his eye.

"Octavia, what a surprise," he said with a smile. "Why didn't you tell me you were coming? I would have one of the maids prepare some tea.

"I'm afraid I can't stay long, dear," Octavia answered. "Can you put away your papers, please? I have something I need to discuss with you."

Blueblood furrowed his brow, not liking the way Octavia said her last sentence. He begrudgingly put the documents on the nightstand, and Octavia sat on the side of the bed. She paused for a moment before she spoke with sadness in her voice.

"Blueblood, I've been doing a lot of thinking about our relationship," Octavia began. "Your job has taken a lot of time away from us, and even when we spend time together, you've been distant and sometimes bring work to our dates."

"And I suppose you're telling me to stop doing my job?" Blueblood asked.

"No, I'm not. I know it's important to you, and I'm happy that you're making your way up to taking over your father's business. I really am," Octavia clarified. "But the extent that you have been pursuing it has been making me feel like I'm not important to you at all."

"That's not true," Blueblood claimed. "I've been doing everything in my power to prove that you're still important to me."

"Like recording my concerts?" Octavia challenged. "For that matter, have you watched any of them?"

Blueblood opened his mouth to answer, but he stopped himself and looked away from Octavia. The gray girl's heart broke, and she looked away, fighting the tears.

"I'm sorry," Blueblood said. "I'll watch them all today. In fact, why don't you stay so we can watch them together."

"No, Blueblood. Please, don't try to cheer me up like that," Octavia said. "No matter what you say, I am tired of you doing these things to me over and over and over again. I can't deal with it anymore. That's why I have decided that we need to go on a break."

Blueblood sprung up to a sitting position only to hug his ribs in pain, forcing him to lay back down. He groaned before he glared at Octavia and growled, "Now, see here, Octavia, I can admit things are not perfect, but I cannot allow you to put us on a break."

Octavia made a face and said, "It's not your decision what I can or cannot do about our relationship, Blueblood. I do not want us to break up, but I cannot deal with you treating me this way."

"Nobody put a relationship with Blueblood on a break," Blueblood snarled.

"Well, then I guess I'm the first," Octavia said. "Let me make this painfully clear, Blueblood, I will continue to have Rough Draft work for me just like you wanted, and I will hope your ribs will heal quickly, but while we are on a break, I want you to find time to think about us when you are not using your time to focus on your job. No matter what you say, our relationship is in jeopardy because of you, and it's up to you to make a change."

Octavia stood up and walked to the door without another word while Blueblood screamed, "Octavia, get back here! We're not finished! You can't put us on hold! I will not -!"

Octavia exited the room and closed the door behind her before hearing the last of that sentence. She could hear Blueblood still shouting through the wall as she walked down the hall and went down the stairs to the entrance hall. The maid who escorted her to Blueblood's room bowed and told her to have a nice day, and Octavia told her to do the same with a smile before she went outside. Octavia walked to the end of the street before she stopped and leaned her back against the fence to take a moment to cry. After a couple of minutes, she wiped the tears from her eyes and let out a big sigh.

"Well, he took it about as well as I expected," she said before a small smile entered her face. "Still, it feels good to get that off my chest. I guess there's nothing else to it but to pray that this will help mend things."

She took another deep breath before she took out her phone to check the time to find out that it was one-ten. She muttered, "Blast," under her breath and began racing to the mall. When she made it to the mall, it was a couple of minutes before one-thirty, and she went inside to find Rarity and Fluttershy sitting beside the fountain at the center of the building. Rarity saw her walk in, and she stood up for the two of them to kiss the side of their cheeks.

"So lovely to see you arrive early, dear," Rarity said.

"I'm glad I did. I had a little errand to run and got worried I wouldn't make it in time," Octavia said.

"Understandable," Rarity said. "Shall we get started?"

"Yes, please," Octavia said.

"I would like that," Fluttershy answered with a cute smile.







******************************************************************************************







For the next few hours, Octavia, Rarity, and Fluttershy went from store to store, looking at all sorts of clothes and accessories. They took turns trying on outfits and critiquing them before deciding to buy some of them. Every now and then, Rarity would choose to take a group picture of the three of them in some of their new outfits and post it on the social media website, MyStable. Eventually, they decided to see a movie at the mall's movie theater and afterward decided to get dinner at the food court.

The three girls talked about the movie and other things until Fluttershy left to use the restroom. Octavia and Rarity continued eating their food with their conversation with Fluttershy on hold. After a minute, Rarity looked up from her fries and noticed how Octavia was eating her burger in bliss.

"I see you are really enjoying your burger," Rarity said.

"Oh, I am," Octavia replied with a happy sigh. "I don't know if Rough Draft has ever told you, but I've never had a chance to try food like this back in Manehattan."

Rarity smiled and said, "He didn't, but I can understand as a Manehattan girl myself. There are some things that even the wonderful city of Manehattan can't give you."

"Indeed," Octavia said. "I simply love going to new places and trying new food with Rough Draft or Starlight Glimmer, or even go shopping with other girls."

Rarity's smile grew, happy for the gray girl. Her smile then turned into a smirk, and she said, "You've been spending a lot of time with Rough Draft, haven't you?"

Octavia didn't understand why Rarity was smirking, but it made her cheeks heat up. She shook it off and said with a calm expression, "Of course, I have. Rough Draft is my best friend. As much as I disapprove of Blueblood threatening Rough Draft, I am thankful that it has led to spending time with someone so caring and loyal."

"Hmmm, yes, he certainly is that," Rarity agreed. "Definitely a boy worth having as your date for the wedding."

"Indeed, and to think it's only a week away," Octavia said. "Speaking of which, how is my dress coming along?"

"Oh, it's going very well," Rarity answered. "I still have much to do, but I aim to have it done by Wednesday so that you can try it on."

"Are you sure you can get it done with so little time?" Octavia asked.

"Positive," Rarity said confidently. "I work well under pressure. I will have it done in time for you to see it or my name isn't Rarity Joslyn Belle."

Octavia giggled at Rarity's enthusiasm and said, "I will hold you to that. There's a lot that is expected of me for my first gig, including my attire. Not to mention, I want my date to be amazed by how I look."

Rarity smirked again and said, "I don't doubt it. Rough Draft can be quite bashful, but I know whatever he says to you is from the heart. It's a shame you can only see him or any of us until Blueblood recovers."

Octavia flinched, and she looked away, downcast. Rarity grew uneasy and said, "Sorry. I did not mean to sound so pessimistic."

"It's fine," Octavia said. "In fact, I'm not sad because of that. It's just…" Octavia hesitated for a moment before she scooted closer to Rarity from her seat. "You see, earlier today, I had an unpleasant chat with Blueblood."

"Oh, dear. You mean like a fight?" Rarity asked.

"Not exactly," Octavia said. "You see after the game the other day, I talked to Rough Draft about how things are going between Blueblood and me, and he suggested that we should go on a break."

Rarity stood still for a moment in a state of shock before she shook her head and said, "Beg pardon, darling, but I'm not sure if I heard you. Did you say Rough Draft suggested that you and Blueblood go on a break?"

"I did," Octavia said. "There are enough problems with our relationship that I agreed that it was the best course of action. I told Blueblood earlier today that this is happening, and my hope is that he will think about where we are and will change for the better, even to the point of not being so possessive of me so that I can still hang out with you, Rough Draft, and all of our friends."

It took all of Rarity's willpower not to scream in joy. Her heart was racing, yet she knew that this was a time to be sorry for her friend. She took Octavia's hand and said with a sad smile, "I'm sorry to hear that you two are going through a rough patch, Octavia. I sincerely would like to see Blueblood be a better person."

Octavia gave Rarity an appreciative look and said, "Thank you, Rarity."

The two girls kept smiling at each other for a moment before they silently decided to go back to their food. A minute later, Fluttershy came back and sat back down on her seat next to Rarity. She opened her mouth to continue talking about the movie until she noticed Rarity incredibly high in spirits. She kept a calm face, but Fluttershy knew her best friend well enough to know that something was on her mind.

"Did something happen while I was in the restroom?" Fluttershy asked.

Octavia and Rarity looked up from their food, and the former said, "Oh, nothing much. We were just talking about things."

"Quite," Rarity said.

Fluttershy tilted her head, wondering if Octavia and Rarity were hiding something. She looked back at Rarity as she returned to her meal, hoping that she would give her some real answers later.









***************************************************************











After they finished their dinner, Octavia, Rarity, and Fluttershy browsed through a couple of other shops before they decided to call it a day. Even though Rarity's house was only a couple of blocks away from the mall, she insisted that she and Fluttershy walk Octavia's home, which Octavia happily accepted. They talked about various subjects while carrying their bags full of clothes and accessories until they made their way to the front door of Octavia's house.

After Octavia went inside, Rarity and Fluttershy began making their way to Fluttershy's house. Rarity was still feeling giddy as she walked, which made Fluttershy more curious. It was clear that something interesting happened while she was gone, and it was time for her to get some answers.

"Um, Rarity, can I ask you something?" Fluttershy asked.

"Certainly," Rarity said without looking at Fluttershy.

Fluttershy looked down shyly, feeling nervous about pressing the matter.

"It's just that when I asked what happened when I was in the restroom, you and Octavia said you just talked about things, but...um.." Rarity turned her head to Fluttershy, curious as her best friend continued. "You looked thrilled, but you didn't want to show it, so…"

"So, you know that something big happened," Rarity finished with a smile. "I should have known you'd figure it out. You know me too well."

Fluttershy smiled back and asked, "So, what happened? Did you two talk about something exciting?"

Rarity smirked and said, "The most exciting thing I could ever hear in my entire life. Something that makes my heart leap for joy."

"Really? Is something major happening at the Carousel Boutique? Was Octavia offering for you to meet someone important in the fashion world?" Fluttershy asked.

"Oh, pfft. Darling, please. Even if something like that were happening, it would be small fry compared to this," Rarity said.

Now, Fluttershy was intrigued. It was rare that Rarity would be excited about something more than fashion trends or her aim to have a career as a fashionista. Fluttershy stood in front of Rarity so that she stopped walking and asked with a smile, "What is it? What is it?"

Rarity smirked and said, "Before I tell you, you must promise me that you won't tell anyone what I hope to do with this information."

"I promise," Fluttershy said without skipping a beat.

"Do you Pinkie Pie promise that you won't utter a word?" Rarity asked.

"Absolutely," Fluttershy said before crossing herself. "Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye."

Rarity's smirk grew, and she looked around to make sure no one was around before she said in a high-pitched voice, "Blueblood and Octavia are on a break!"

Fluttershy's smile disappeared into a look of confusion, and she tilted her head as she asked, "Blueblood and Octavia are on a break?"

"Uh-huh," Rarity replied with a toothy grin.

"I don't understand," Fluttershy said. "Why would you be so happy about that? It's not like they're officially broken up, so you have your chance to finally pursue Blueblood."

"True, but it gives me hope," Rarity said. "Where there's putting a relationship on a break, there's a chance they might ultimately break up. If they do, then I can take the pieces for myself and turn my Bluey into the man of my dreams I know he can be."

"But why would they go on a break?" Fluttershy asked. "I would think Rough Draft or Starlight Glimmer might have brought something like that up, especially since Applejack, Caramel, Soarin, and Rainbow Dash are always on Rough Draft's case with how he behaves around Octavia."

"Octavia just put the relationship on a break today," Rarity answered. "Apparently, they are having a lot of problems with their relationship, so Rough Draft suggested that they go on a break."

"He did?" Fluttershy asked, taken aback. "Do you think he did that to try to break them apart?"

"I don't think so. He is very considerate of her feelings after all, and the way Octavia told it, it sounded like this is a necessary step for Blueblood to improve as a boyfriend," Rarity said. "I wouldn't be surprised if our friends ask Rough Draft about the whole thing when word gets out."

"So, you don't think Rough Draft hopes they will break up?" Fluttershy asked.

"Oh, I'm sure he does in some way," Rarity said, smirking. "Besides, as their friend, I frankly want them to get together whether I get my Bluey or not. Rough Draft is a caring boy, Octavia values his company, and they both enjoy doing things together. I simply can't think of anyone I'd rather have be the one who does everything he can to make Octavia happy than Rough Draft. It's not as though there's not much competition when the only girl who wants to be with our nerdy friend is Adagio."

Fluttershy's surprise look turned into an uncomfortable frown, and she looked down again. Rarity looked at her best friend, puzzled, and asked, "What's the matter?"

Fluttershy hesitated and quietly said, "Um, that's not entirely true."

"What do you mean?" Rarity asked. "Are you saying there's someone other than Adagio pursuing Rough Draft?"

"Not exactly," Fluttershy said. "More like someone who has feelings for him but is afraid to show it?"

"How do you know?" Rarity asked.

"Because she acts the same way I did back when...you know," Fluttershy answered.

Rarity's eyes widened, and she covered her mouth with her hand. She stayed in this position for a moment and said, "Oh, my. She must really feel that way about him if you would compare her to you."

"Mmm-hmmm," Fluttershy said, nodding.

"Well, who is it, darling?" Rarity asked.

"Um, I don't want to say," Fluttershy said. It was almost like a whisper.

Rarity frowned and said, "Fluttershy, you can tell me everything. We never keep secrets from each other."

"I know, and I really want to tell you, but I think it might do more harm than good," Fluttershy said. "I didn't have to deal with another girl that caught his attention, and I'm worried about how you'll behave around her if I tell you who it is when you want Rough Draft to be together with Octavia."

Rarity's frown deepened, and she took a moment to think about it before she said, "I see. I suppose I might want to do something about it if I know who it is, and there's no telling how things will go with Octavia and Blueblood, the wedding, Rough Draft's feelings, and this person's feelings for him. If you really think telling me who it is might complicate things, then I trust you, Fluttershy."

Fluttershy smiled and said, "Thank you, Rarity. I just want you to at least be aware of this."

"I appreciate that, dear," Rarity said. "Much has happened in the first couple of weeks of school, and it feels like things are getting crazier by the day."

Fluttershy nodded, and the two girls were silent for a moment before Rarity cleared her throat.

"Right. Let's get home already. We both have many clothes to bring back," she said.

"We sure do, Rarity," Fluttershy said with a smile. "Truth be told, I'm wondering if I have enough hangers in my closet for all of this stuff."

"That's why I always have hangers and room to spare," Rarity stared proudly. "One never knows what to expect at a trip to the mall,"

Fluttershy rolled her eyes and shook her head from her best friend's boasting as the two of them went back to walking down the street to Fluttershy's home again. However, unbeknownst to them, three figures were hiding behind the trees a few feet away from where Rarity and Fluttershy were. Adagio, Aria, and Sonata came out of their hiding spots when their targets were far enough with Aria peeved, Sonata's stomach in knots, and Adagio grinning like a Cheshire cat.

"My, my, my, what information," the leader said. "I'm so glad we just happened to be walking by."

Aria huffed and said with her arms crossed, "Don't tell me, Adagio. Let me guess. You think Octavia Melody put her relationship with Blueblood on hold just so that she's not cheating on him when she's pursuing Rough Draft. Right?"

"I don't think. I know," Adagio declared. "Admit it, Aria. I was right. Rough Draft is so special that Octavia Melody would abandon her devotion to Blueblood."

"You don't know that," Sonata protested. "Octavia and Blueblood could be on a break for other reasons than for -"

"Quiet!" Adagio hissed. Sonata took a step back and whimpered as though Adagio had threatened to beat her for speaking. "Even if that's true, Octavia Melody is still free to pursue anyone she wants, including Rough Draft."

"And how do you intend to get to Rough Draft first when he has a crush on her?" Aria challenged. "Sounds like all she has to do is make one little move, and they're together just like that."

"Not if I can help it," Adagio said. "Thanks to what Sonata learned from the cafe, I have been educating myself on everything Rough Draft is obsessed with, which I wager is more than Octavia Melody has done. So, the next time we speak to each other, I have options for what we can talk about to lure him to me."

Aria frowned and asked, "Wait, that's what you've been doing in your room all week? Watching all of that dorky crap?"

"More or less," Adagio answered.

"Ugh, this is getting ridiculous. At this rate, I'm thinking of making you stop pursuing this dude for my sanity and yours," Aria said.

"You can try, but we both know that when I decide to do something, I do not rest until I have achieved it," Adagio said.

Aria scoffed, and Adagio turned to Sonata, who felt a shiver down her spine. The leader of the Dazzlings moved closer to her submissive sister, making her back up to a tree, and said, "The next time Rough Draft is doing something outside of school or 'serving' Octavia Melody, tell me. I would like to be around for those moments, unlike with that soccer game."

In her mind, Sonata was screaming, "no," but on the outside, she reluctantly gave her sister a nod. Adagio's grin grew, and she backed away from Sonata as Aria spoke again.

"That's it? You don't want Sonata to find out about this other girl that's crushing on Rough Draft?" She questioned.

Adagio snorted out a laugh and said, "Oh, please. There's no need for that. Even if that girl is only half as timid as Fluttershy, then there's little reason to act like there's a second girl after my prize at all. At best, she would be acknowledged as just one more person whose heart gets broken when Rough Draft chooses me."

Aria raised her eyebrow before she sighed and said, "That might be the only thing you've said that makes a lick of sense in two weeks, Adagio."

"No matter," Adagio said. "Let's get home already. I still have...homework I need to do."

Aria groaned as she followed her sister, having figured out what Adagio meant by homework. Sonata hung her head as she followed her sisters, ashamed that she was still helping her oldest sister behind my back. She clasped her hands together and whispered a prayer that somehow Adagio would stop pursuing me.