• Published 15th Mar 2019
  • 940 Views, 34 Comments

The Nerd and the Cellist - HAKDurbin



A story of a nerdy guy named Rough Draft who secretly wishes to be with Octavia Melody despite the fact that she's dating Blueblood.

  • ...
10
 34
 940

Chapter 14

Author's Note:

Hey, everyone. So, one of you critiqued how this is being told in the first person, and yet there are scenes where Rough Draft isn't there at all. I want to clear up that this is being told after the fact where Rough Draft has talked to other characters to fill in the blanks from parts of the story where he's not there before telling it. I make it more clear, I edited the beginning of chapter 1 so that Rough Draft establishes that.

But more than finding friendship, my heart wanted a chance to find love. If there were anything I took away from the many fictional stories I would read or watch, it would be that romantic love is something purely beautiful and special. Arwen and Aragorn, Princess Leia and Han Solo, Belle and the Beast, Spider-Man and Mary Jane, Ron and Hermione, Batman and Catwoman, Optimus Prime and Elita-One, these are all fictional couples that made me wish I could find that certain special someone for me. I had lost hope for that in Appleloosa because many girls in my old high school hated and bullied me for what I am, but I hoped things would be different in Canterlot.

This is the story about that hope based on my experience and the testimonies of those closest to me.

I hope that clears things up, especially since this chapter is another one where Rough Draft isn't in it at all. Anyway, enjoy!

Just as I promised, I texted Pinkie Pie about my idea for Octavia to play her cello to attract customers for the Tasty Treat. It isn't overselling it when I say Pinkie Pie was ecstatic with the idea. I texted Octavia to inform her that Pinkie Pie was on board, and she said she was going to be practicing for both the Tasty Treat and the wedding from then on.

The next day, our group discussed working together to save the restaurant. Pinkie Pie announced that Coriander Cumin and Saffron Masala were grateful that we were willing to help them, but Coriander Cumin was not optimistic that it would work out. Rarity and Fluttershy helped Pinkie Pie make flies and get the okay from Vice-Principal Luna to put them up in the halls. Rainbow Dash and Soarin told all of the sports team members to help spread the word. Starlight Glimmer made the group page, "Save the Tasty Treat," on MyStable. When Pinkie told everyone about Octavia playing her cello, Caramel, Applejack, and Big Mac volunteered to bring sound equipment from Sweet Apple Acres. Ultimately, we all agreed to have Thursday night be the day where we would really attract as many customers as possible with Octavia performing.

On Wednesday, Octavia had to cut study group with Starlight Glimmer and me to try out her dress for the wedding. Starlight Glimmer hoped that I would at least stay and work on homework together alone. Still, I decided to leave early, too, making up an excuse to hide from Octavia that I would use that extra time to practice dancing more with Fluttershy, much to the grayish heliotrope girl's disappointment. Octavia pardoned me from walking her to Carousel Boutique; however, as an extra precaution from me seeing her dress before the wedding, so Starlight Glimmer offered to be her escort instead, much to my disappointment.

Thus, the three of us said our goodbyes before Octavia and Starlight Glimmer made their way to Carousel Boutique, while I pretended to go home before going to the animal shelter when the girls couldn't see me. Before long, the girls entered the boutique to find Rarity putting a peach-colored blouse and a lead-colored skirt on a mannequin, wearing her red, templeless glasses. Octavia lightly knocked on the entrance door, and Rarity turned her head from her work.

"Ah, Octavia, you're earlier than I expected," Rarity said with a smile. "And you brought Starlight with you."

"Well, it wouldn't do to have my date escort me here when I want him to be clueless about the dress, so Starlight offered to join me," Octavia said.

"Of course, of course," Rarity said. "Anyway, your dress is in the fitting room. I think you will be pleased with the result."

Octavia smiled and walked to the fitting room on the other side of the hall. She went inside and let out a loud gasp before turning to Rarity.

"Oh, Rarity, it's perfect," she chirped. "It's just like you designed it."

"Of course it is, my dear. When I design a dress so divine, I make no alterations when making the gown whatsoever," Rarity boasted. "Now, kindly put it on so I know if I need to make any alterations."

Octavia replied with a nod, beaming before she went outside the fitting room. Rarity smirked with her arms crossed, pleased with the gray girl's reaction.

"Wow, it must be some dress if Octavia's that excited," Starlight Glimmer commented.

"Oh, yes, it is. Rough Draft is a lucky boy to have someone like Octavia to be his date," Rarity said. "Would you like to see a picture of it?"

"Yes, please," Starlight Glimmer answered.

Rarity took out her phone, opened her gallery app, selected a picture, and handed her phone to Starlight Glimmer. The grayish heliotrope girl looked at the photo, and her smile faded. Never had she seen such a dress, and the idea of Octavia wearing it made her heart sink. More than ever, she wished I wasn't Octavia's date for the wedding, and she regretted helping me learn how to dance. At that moment, she feared what might happen after the wedding now that Octavia and Blueblood were on a break.

"Starlight?"

Starlight Glimmer snapped out of her train of thought and looked up from the phone to find Rarity looking hurt. Starlight Glimmer realized that she must have offended the fashionista with the way she was acting and said while waving her hand with a forced smile, "I'm sorry, Rarity. It's a wonderful dress. I'm just...jealous of Octavia."

Rarity smirked again and said, "I see. You wish you had such a lovely gown too."

"Yeah, that's it," Starlight Glimmer lied.

"Well, not to worry, dear. You'll have an opportunity to have a beautiful gown yourself soon," Rarity said. "I don't know if you've heard, but we have our school's first dance called the Fall Formal in a few weeks."

"Oh, yeah. I did hear about it from Fluttershy," Starlight Glimmer said. "She said our whole group goes together."

"Indeed, we do," Rarity confirmed. "And I make the dresses for all of the girls in our group. Since you're in our group too, that means I intend to make an extravagant outfit just like the rest of us."

"Really? Are you sure it wouldn't be any trouble?" Starlight Glimmer asked.

"Hardly," Rarity said. "Why, I vow to make such wonderful dresses this year that it will make the boys' knees grow weak."

Starlight's smile, and she said, "Wow, that's really generous of you, Rarity. I'll be counting on you to make that kind of dress."

Rarity smirked and said with a wink, "Leave it to me, dear."

With the promise made, Starlight Glimmer had a feeling of hope in her heart. She thought that if Rarity did make her a dress as attractive as Octavia's and my duty to Octavia fulfilled, she could dance together with me. But then, the thought occurred to her that Octavia and Blueblood might still be on a break, and Octavia could ask me to to be her date for the Fall Formal. It was clear to my friend that if she wanted me to go to the dance with her, she would have to make a move before my crush could have a chance.

Suddenly, Starlight Glimmer's train of thought was broken again at the sound of the door to the fitting room opening to reveal Octavia back in her regular clothes. The gray girl was in high spirits as she walked back to Rarity and Starlight Glimmer.

"I take it you are pleased?" Rarity asked.

"It's wonderful," Octavia replied. "If I had any complaints, it would be that the waist is a smidge tight and the sleeves are a little loose, but other than that, it's perfect."

"Oh, of course," Rarity said before walking over to a table and taking out a notepad and pen to write down Octavia's critiques. "Those can easily be adjusted, so it'll be ready in time for the wedding."

"Excellent. Thank you, Rarity," Octavia said with a smile. "Oh, I can't wait to perform my first gig wearing my new dress."

Rarity smirked as she put the pen and notepad down and said, "Not to mention, you have such a gentleman as your date."

"Indeed," Octavia said. "Speaking of which, would you like to see Rough Draft in his tux?"

"Oooo, yes, please," Rarity chirped.

"I would love to," Starlight Glimmer said.

Octavia's smile grew, and she took out her phone. Rarity looked over Octavia's left shoulder while Starlight Glimmer looked over her right as she opened the gallery app. When Octavia opened the picture, Rarity smirked and let out an "Mmmmm," while Starlight moved her head back to avoid the other girls seeing her blush.

"My, my, my, who would have thought he would look so nice when he's not just wearing jeans and a T-shirt?" Rarity said.

"Y-y-yeah, he looks really nice," Starlight Glimmer stuttered, trying to not sound bashful.

"Indeed. I picked the color for the vest and bowtie myself," Octavia said. "A perfect choice to make my date so fanciable if I may say so."

"You may," Rarity said before looking at Octavia with a teasing smirk. "I'd be careful if I were you, Octavia. You don't want some of the high-class girls to try to take him away while you're performing."

"Nonsense. My Rough Draft is loyal," Octavia said confidently. "He's going to watch me play the whole time, and those frilly girls can't do a blasted thing about it."

Rarity's teasing smirk disappeared, and she and Starlight Glimmer looked at each other, confused before the latter asked with unease, "What do you mean your Rough Draft?"

Octavia's eyes widened, her pupils shrank, and her cheeks heated up. She looked down to hide her blush and said while playing with her hair beside her ear, "Er, I meant 'my Rough Draft' as in my date."

Starlight Glimmer tilted her head and said, "Who phrases it like that?"

"Oh, uh, it was...something I'd hear from some of my classmates say back when I went to school in Manehattan," Octavia lied. "In any case, Starlight, I don't think of Rough Draft that way. He is a caring and charming boy. I won't deny, but for all of his faults, I do want things to work out between Blueblood and me."

Starlight Glimmer paused for a moment before she smiled and said, "Well, if that's the way you feel, then I trust you, Octavia."

Octavia smiled, relieved that Starlight Glimmer bought the fib. Suddenly, Starlight Glimmer's phone vibrated, and she took it out, letting out an annoyed groan.

"It's my dad. He's worried about when I'm coming home," she grumbled. "I wish I didn't tell him we ended our study group early."

"Your father likes to keep you at home when you're not at school, doesn't he?" Octavia said.

"That's putting it mildly," Starlight Glimmer said. "I did tell him I'll be helping out at the Tasty Treat, though, so I should be fine then."

"Lovely," Rarity said. "Though, while we're on the subject, what are you going to do tomorrow?"

"Oh, Saffron Masala asked if I could be a waitress tomorrow," Starlight Glimmer answered. "She's pretty optimistic that they're going to get a lot of customers."

"Really? Perhaps Pinkie Pie's cheerful demeanor is rubbing off on her," Rarity said. "Still, it's not a bad idea to have a backup if we are successful in bringing a lot of customers in."

"Indeed. Come to think of it, is Rough Draft doing anything special tomorrow?" Octavia asked.

Rarity and Starlight Glimmer looked at each other, and the former said, "I don't think we have come up with anything for him." The grayish-white girl then smirked and said, "Perhaps he would like to aid you somehow with your music, Octavia?"

Immediately, Starlight Glimmer grew unsettled and said, "No. Uh, that's not really necessary. Don't you think? I mean, we already have Applejack, Caramel, and Big Mac setting up sound, so what would Rough Draft be able to do there? Maybe he could serve the customers with Saffron Masala and me."

Octavia and Rarity took a moment to think about it, and the latter reluctantly said, "Well, that would be the most reasonable way he can help."

"Agreed," Octavia said.

"Cool. I'll let Saffron Masala know and text the menu to Rough Draft so he can memorize it," Starlight Glimmer said. "Anyway, I better get going. See you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow," Octavia said.

"See you then," Rarity said.

Starlight Glimmer waved at her friends before she exited the boutique. Rarity waved back until her friend was gone before turning to Octavia, who had a disappointed look in her mulberry eyes despite smiling on the outside. Rarity smirked again as what was on Octavia's mind was as apparent as Pinkie Pie being pink or Rainbow Dash having rainbow hair. The light gray girl started to develop a plan while Octavia sighed and turned to her.

"Well, I better be going too. I need to practice for both tomorrow and the wedding," Octavia announced. "I'll see you tomorrow, Rarity."

Just as Octavia took a step to open the door, she felt Rarity put her hand on her shoulder.

"Actually, Octavia, I would like to have a word with you about something," Rarity said.

Octavia turned to face Rarity, puzzled as she asked, "Oh? What about?"

Rarity paused to make sure she knew the right words to say for her scheme and said in a calm voice like a parent talking to her child.

"Listen, Octavia, I know this isn't my business, and you have a lot on your plate with the wedding, the Tasty Treat, and where things are between you and Blueblood," Rarity began. "Still, I can't help but feel like there's something else on your mind that needs to be addressed. "

Octavia grew more puzzled and asked, "Like what?"

"Oh, you know," Rarity said, her smirk returning. "Something that makes you smile, something you find cute, something, or someone, you'd like to have around a lot. That makes your face turn into a deep shade of red."

Octavia began to grow unsettled with the last thing Rarity said. She took a step back and asked, "What are you saying?"

"I'm saying you like Rough Draft," Rarity answered.

"What?!" Octavia exclaimed, her cheeks turning taffy. "Me having feelings for Rough Draft? Are you daft?"

"Oh, pfff, please, dear, don't insult me. I can tell when a girl feels something special for a boy whether she knows it or not," Rarity said. "Calling him 'your Rough Draft,' blushing when you realized you said that in front of Starlight and me, lying that what you said is a phrase from Manehattan, and eager to see him bask in how lovely you're going to look with your dress. Not to mention, I saw in your eyes that you wish Starlight didn't make a suggestion that would keep Rough Draft away from you when we're at the Tasty Treat. No matter what you say, you see Rough Draft as more than just your best friend."

Octavia's blush turned into a deeper shade of pink, and she sputtered incoherent words. Rarity's smirk turned into a grin, knowing that she had her crush's girlfriend right where she wanted her. Octavia bit her lip as she tried to think of a way to convince Rarity otherwise before she gave in with a sigh.

"I should have remembered that you also come from Manehattan before I made that fib," she said. "Alright, I admit it. I have developed an interest of sorts in Rough Draft."

"Oh, darling, please. You're well past having a mere interest in him," Rarity said. "Or do I need to bring up the evidence again?"

"But what if I still want him to be just an interest for the moment?" Octavia asked.

Rarity's grin faded, and she asked, "Why? Because you still want things to work out with Blueblood?"

"Not entirely," Octavia said. "I accepted that there was something there the day after we came here for my dress, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions since I could be feeling this way only because things aren't going well with Blueblood. I thought that during the time I have Rough Draft working for me, I could know for sure if it's something real or something I should ignore and focus on mending things with Blueblood."

Rarity frowned and said, "Well, you know what I think? I think you passed being unsure some time ago. We may not have known each other long, heck, I've barely known Rough Draft much longer, but I think it's clear that there's a spark between the two of you. You both like to make the other happy however you can and value the time you spend together. Besides, you and Blueblood are on a break now, which makes you available. All you have to do is make a move and see what happens. Only then will you find your answer on who to choose."

Octavia became unsettled and said while playing with her fingers, "I don't know, Rarity. I'd like to, but I've never done that before. How do I know Rough Draft might be interested in me in that way."

"That's a risk you have to take," Rarity said. "But I advise you not to take long. Others have developed an interest in him."

Octavia's eyes widened, and she asked, "What? Who?"

"Doesn't matter," Rarity said, looking Octavia in the eye with a serious look. "You must take a chance before it's too late. Ask Rough Draft to pursue something with you before someone has a chance to snatch him away."

Octavia became hesitant again, wishing she had more information on how I felt or who else was interested in me. Rarity's confidence started to falter as she grew worried that she might have overdone it. After a minute, Octavia sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose.

"I need to think about this," she said. "I can't decide this right on the spot."

Rarity smiled and said in a soft voice, "I understand. Maybe I shouldn't have tried to put you on the spot like that. I just thought this would help you be happy."

"I know," Octavia said, returning the smile. "I appreciate that you care, Rarity."

"Of course, we're friends," Rarity said. "Anyway, I think I've kept you from practicing your cello long enough."

"Oh, goodness, I forgot," Octavia said and started to rush to the door. "See you tomorrow, Rarity."

"See you, Octavia," Rarity said.

The gray girl left the building and started jogging towards home. Rarity watched Octavia until she was out of sight before sitting down on a chair in front of a mirror. With a sigh, she smiled smugly and turned to look at her reflection in the mirror.

"Rarity, darling, you're a genius," she said to herself. "Octavia has finally admitted how she feels about sweet Rough Draft, and she's aware that she has competition." She continued with a shrug, "Granted, the competition is Adagio Dazzle, who Rough Draft has no interest in, and a girl who is as shy as Fluttershy was, but Octavia doesn't need to know that. With any luck, those two will get somewhere with their feelings, and they'll have moi to thank for it." She got up from her chair and began walking to the fitting room where Octavia's dress was hanging, about to make the adjustments. "Of course, Bluey will be quite cross and might not be interested in finding someone else for some time, but hey, this is for my friends. I'm a patient girl. I can wait a little longer."









*************************************************************************





When Octavia got home, she went straight up the stairs to her room, closed the door behind her, and let out a loud sigh with her back against the wall. She rubbed her forehead and muttered, "I can't believe I admitted it to someone," as she walked over to lie down on her bed.

She lay there for a few minutes before she took out her phone and opened the picture of me in my tux. The image made her smile for a moment before she became uneasy again as Rarity's words rang in her ear. She thought of me letting her down because I didn't think of her that way or because I was dating someone else, and the latter possibility made her wonder who else is interested in me.

Eventually, Octavia sat up and walked over to her cello case, standing against the wall. She opened it to take out her cello and bow and then walked over to a chair in the middle of the room to play. Octavia thought about what background music she wanted to play on her phone but ultimately decided that she only needed her cello for what she was feeling. Once she was all set up, Octavia took a breath and slowly let it out before she began to play.

The first notes were low and long as though she was letting out a moan through her instrument. Then, the tempo began to speed up, with the cello still letting out low growls as doubt and worry filled her mind. Octavia thought of her and me together, and the music went up several octaves with her mouth curling slightly. The music grew faster as Octavia expressed her confliction, moving between two octaves as though her anxieties and her thoughts of hope were wrestling with each other. Eventually, the song grew louder like it reached its climax, but when Octavia was nearing the end, she played a long, high-pitched note and then stopped playing.

Octavia sighed and lowered her head, disappointed that she couldn't think of ending the song. She was relieved to have let out everything on her mind through the world of music that she could control, but she was still let down that she couldn't do more. She looked up at her sapphire ring on her finger, and her frown deepened, for though it was her favorite jewel, the appeal of her gift from Blueblood did not have the effect it once did. She was tempted to take it off but decided against taking things that far. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and spoke to herself while resting her forehead against her cello's scroll.

"After the wedding, Octavia," she said. "Don't think about it until after the wedding."