• Published 13th Mar 2019
  • 1,278 Views, 89 Comments

Bits, Pieces and other Scrapped Ideas - FoolAmongTheStars



A compilation of stories and ideas that didn't quite make it.

  • ...
2
 89
 1,278

In Which Names Are Discussed

Author's Note:

Summary: All Sunburst wants is for his daughter to call him by his name, is that too much to ask?

Warnings: None.

Notes: It's been a while since I've written some StarBurst family fluff. Enjoy!

“Hey! No! This leg goes in this sleeve! Would you—stop it!”

Sunburst struggled to keep his hold on his toddler's flailing leg, the little filly’s giggles becoming louder as she twisted her body in unrelenting attempts to get away. He lost track of how many times he tried to shove her hoof into the onesie, fully aware that it shouldn’t have taken him more than ten minutes to dress his daughter, but it seemed that her mission today was to thwart his attempts on dressing her. He normally would’ve let her get away with it, but it was the middle of winter, and Luster’s natural coat was still too short, fuzzy, and soft, still smelled like milk and baby powder, to let her run around in just her diaper like she’s used to. So, the pink onesie it was.

It was his turn to get Luster ready for bed, and Sunburst would have probably finished by now, if he weren’t weak for her high-pitched laughter and her messy, blonde waves of hair that barely reached her chin, spilling on the carpet like a halo as she played her one-sided game and kicked his hooves away.

“Come on, we’re almost there! In the onesie! No, I’m serious! In. The. Onesie. Yes!

The stallion raised his hooves in victory, and the toddler took her queue, rolling over to her stomach and running as fast as her little limbs allowed.

“Oh no, you don’t!” Sunburst grabbed her by the ankle and dragged her back along the carpet, flipping her over onto her back once more, hastily snapping each button close from her leg up. “I know we don’t normally wear clothes, but you really like to run around naked, don’t you?”

She giggled, squirming and kicking her legs around just to make his job harder. Not that he expected an answer from her, she was just a year old after all, and her favorite word, despite his fervent disapproval, was mama. Sunburst managed to finish the leg, and he brought her wiggling body closer to his chest, making it a bit harder for her to continue to fight him.

She gave him a huff, her mother’s attitude showing through and he couldn’t help but gloat at his victory. The little filly twisted her upper body, whining in protest as she tried to get away, but he kept her still, bending over to press his lips against her round tummy and blowing a sloppy raspberry.

She screeched, the high-pitched giggle hurting his ears but making him smile with glee as her tiny hooves flailed against his forehead, and Sunburst took advantage of her distraction to finish his job and close up her jammies. He let her go once he was done, helping her stand up on her hind legs until she could hold herself, and she reached out to grab his cheeks and squish them, something he often did to her.

“Mama.”

Sunburst sighed and nuzzled her nose against his own. “No, I’m papa.”

“Mama!” She laughed and waddled her way across the room to the mess of toys she’d been playing with. “Mama, mama, mama!”

“Luster, I know you can say it. You’ve said it before. Say, papa!”

“Mama!”

“I think she knows you’re jealous.” Starlight giggled from the doorway, leaning against the frame and dressed in an oversized green sweater for the night.

“I’m not jealous,” Sunburst argued, sitting up and crossing his forelegs in front of him. “I just want to be called by my rightfully earned name!”

“Don’t be offended, Sunburst.” Starlight laughed, walked into the room, and sat down next to her husband. “She thinks that’s everycreature’s name. She called the cashier at the grocery store mama the other day.”

His lips twisted into a pout, the jealousy on full display for the world to see, or just for Starlight in this case. She stifled a giggle, biting her lips and bumping Sunburst with her shoulder.

“I’m sure you’d be way more upset if she went around calling everycreature papa,” Starlight said. “Wouldn’t you, professor grumpy grumps.”

“Yeah, yeah,” he said dismissively, fully hating how she was right. Innocent or not, it would bother him to no end if his little girl called any other creature papa, and Starlight knew how to get under his skin to see the bright side of things, whether he wanted it or not.

His wife giggled, shifting closer to place a kiss on his cheek.

“Say…do you have work tonight?” Starlight asked, her voice light and flirty. He arched his eyebrow at her as she tucked her head under his chin and pressed herself against him.

“I don’t think so, why?” Sunburst teased, grinning as Starlight smiled, wiggled her shoulders, and bit her bottom lip.

“Well, since you are free tonight, maybe we could…” She trailed off, but the way her hoof rubbed his chest gently and skim along the edge of his red sweater told him what he needed to know. He hummed in delight as he leaned in to kiss her, the gesture tender and soft as she tilted her head to give him a better taste.

“Alright,” he murmured against her lips, jerking away and clearing his throat. “Okay, Luster! Time for bed! Mama and I are making you a new sibling!”

“Sunburst!” Starlight gasped, grabbing a nearby stuffed animal with her magic and smacking him in the face with it.

“What? It’s not like she knows where foals come from,” he argued, yanking the pink, stuffed rabbit from her magical grip and hitting her back.

Starlight levitated a stuffed turtle by the foot of the crib and swung it at him. “She’s smart enough to talk; she’s smart enough to repeat that!”

“She refuses to say anything other than mama, I think we’re safe,” he said, using the rabbit as a shield against the flying turtle. “Alright, that’s it!”

He threw the toy aside, trudged ahead against the unrelenting flying turtle, and tackled Starlight to the ground, using his weight to pin her to the carpet. She pretended to struggle, laughing the entire time as she half-heartedly tried to push him away. Sunburst dipped down to kiss the crook of her neck, knowing full well how ticklish that spot was, holding himself taut above her as she flailed about, laughing uncontrollably underneath him.

“Stop, Sunburst!” She giggled, hunching her shoulders to shut off access to her neck.

“You brought this on yourself!” Sunburst pushed her flailing forelegs away, ducking straight down to kiss and tickle at her exposed neck.

“No! Stop!” Starlight thrashed around some more, laughing so hard her stomach began to hurt. “Okay, okay! You win! Get off me!”

“I’m sorry, what was that? I’m deaf from your screaming.”

“You win!”

A loud and angry shout caught their attention, and they both turned their heads just in time to see their angry toddler stomping toward them. She lowered her head and headbutted Sunburst’s flank with all her might, which hurt as much as the flying turtle had. Though initially shocked by her reaction, he was quick to play along, falling to his side with a dramatic cry of pain.

“Get him, baby! Get him! Show him whose boss!” Starlight encouraged her, sitting up from the carpeted floor as her husband rolled away from her.

Luster crawled on top of Starlight, hugging her chest while glaring at him, pouty lip and all. “No, papa!”

Sunburst propped himself on his elbows, looking over at his two girls, mouth agape and glasses askew. His wife snickered, hugging the little filly and hiding her smile behind her messy blonde hair.

“A-Are you kidding me?” He asked, his mouth hanging open. Now she says his name; when she’s mad at him. “She definitely takes after you.”

“Yeah, and that’s why you’re wrapped around her fuzzy, little tail.”