• Published 13th Mar 2019
  • 1,268 Views, 89 Comments

Bits, Pieces and other Scrapped Ideas - FoolAmongTheStars



A compilation of stories and ideas that didn't quite make it.

  • ...
2
 89
 1,268

In Which There's a Crappy Proposal

Author's Note:

Summary: Sunburst tries to propose, too bad the birds in the park seem to have it out for him...

Warnings: Some swearing and a bit out of character.

Notes: What can I say? I love to pick on the sunshine boy :rainbowlaugh:

This was it.

He had the brooch. Maud had even helped him sculpt it to be special—just for her. He had the perfect moment. This was her favorite spot by the lake, with the birds chirping happily overhead and bright sunshine pouring down on them. He had her attention, too.

How could he not, when he was down on one knee like a knight before a princess?

Sunburst had written down what to say many times. There were many crumpled parchments littering his wastebasket, all bearing various attempts at putting these feelings of his into words that he could recite to her. So that he could finally, after four long years, ask her…

Yes, now was the time. He would never be more ready than this, no matter how hard his heart was pounding and how frazzled and messy his hair was. It had to be now.

Sunburst swallowed, taking one short breath before he looked up into the endless blue of the eyes of the mare that he fell in love with.

He couldn’t remember the words. Now that the crucial time was upon him, they scattered like scared animals from a threat, completely out of reach. But he had to press on. She was waiting.

It had to be now!

“S-Starlight! I-I’ve been­—What I mean is—Ah, this, will you—!”

SPLAT.

A series of tweets sounded from overhead and Sunburst went rigid with shock and embarrassment.

He felt it. Sweet Celestia, did he feel it. And just like that, the most important words all but flew away and abandoned him.

Starlight couldn’t seem to find any, either. She was staring, wide-eyed and speechless at what he already knew was plastered to his damned forehead and useless horn.

With a sudden, ugly lurch of anger and frustration, Sunburst reached up and swiped the disgusting splotch away before it could slide further down his face. He flicked the substance away with an angry whinny, his cheeks and ears burning from the embarrassment and utter humiliation.

This was unbelievable. He had been prepared for many things—most of all, Starlight’s rejection. And instead, he found himself in a completely unprecedented twist of events, as fate would have it.

A fate with a really sick sense of humor.

Sunburst had definitely not even considered that a bird would just happen to fly over his head and decide to go ahead and go right then and there—especially not at the crucial moment that he was about to ask the only mare of his heart to marry him.

Was this the damn bird’s way of saying that he wasn’t good enough for her? That this was hopeless from the start?

…Why was he even considering what the birds thought!?

“Never mind!” Sunburst yelped as he got to his feet. “Forget it, let’s go!”

He’d been wrong from the start. Listing off everything as being perfect was just like asking for a disaster. He was an idiot.

“Sunburst! Wait!” She stepped on his cloak before he could walk away. “Finish what you were saying!”

And now she was pressing him further. How in Tartarus was he supposed to deal with this!? He couldn’t just—get back on his knees and try to do that again. He must have looked revolting and he couldn’t even look her in the eyes after all that—

“Sunburst!She yanked on his cape with more insistence. It was obvious that she was becoming irritated now. “You can’t just do all that and take me here and just—just say forget it!”

“JUST—” He raised his voice, but stopped before anything else slipped out. Yelling at her would just make everything worse. He needed to calm himself, just for now. He could ask her at breakfast tomorrow, or dinner, or something. It didn’t have to be now. As calmly as he could managed, he pulled her hoof away from his cloak with his clean hoof. “…Don’t worry about it.”

She frowned, immediately reaching back out to take his cape again. “How can I not worry about it when you won’t even tell me—”

“FINE!” he raised his front hooves in a shout, effectively shaking her off for the second time. All previous thoughts of holding back his temper snapped like twigs. “I was going to ask you to marry me! And then this damn bird decided to come along and take a crap on my head and ruin it! Happy now!?”

She didn’t reach for his cape again. As expected, she looked shocked. Sunburst felt his face flush further and looked away.

How could he lose it and let it out like that? Of all the ways to propose…

“Yes.”

His brows drew together as he glanced uncertainly in her direction.

“Yes!” she repeated, beaming brilliantly. All traces of her irritation were gone, flooded out by an elation that shone from every pore of her face. “You’re asking me to—you want to—to marry me? Really?”

“Y-Yeah, of course I do. You’re the only one I—”

Sunburst couldn’t even finish his flustered response before she was barreling right into his front, embracing him while she seemed to be bouncing up and down at the same time.

“Yes, yes, yes! Of course it’s yes!”

Giving her a one-hoof, awkward return embrace, Sunburst heard a familiar chirp and looked up into a nearby tree. A bird perched innocently there, tilting its head at him with another short chirp.

Somehow, he just knew it was the one.