• Published 4th Feb 2019
  • 887 Views, 14 Comments

All That Glitters - FoolAmongTheStars



When the youngest brother is put in unspeakable danger, could a witch with no name save him in his direst hour?

  • ...
2
 14
 887

Chapter 4

Sunset slowly put her hoof on the door, intending to close it, but she had half a mind to pick up her brother and see how far she could run away with him before the guards would capture them. As she mentally calculated the distance a success would require, Sunburst spoke shakily, trying to politely bow. “Your Highness, it is an... honor... to see you again so soon.”

“Of course it is!” Chrysalis sat down on one of the short stacks of hay, flipping her mane haughtily. “You didn't think I'd abandon my favorite pair of siblings, did you? Especially not because of one or two little slips of the tongue.”

Sunset glanced at Sonata, who merely nodded and waved once to show that, yes, Sonata had not only heard what happened but as obligated by duty, had told the queen. As much as the mare wanted to be mad at her, she knew if Chrysalis found out another way, Sonata would have suffered for it. With a huff, she stepped in front of her brother, ready to shield him. “Look, what happened in the village was my doing! Sunburst was the one who put a stop to it! Stop going after him just because I'm the one who keeps screwing up!”

Sunburst tried to stop her, but Chrysalis let out a little laugh. “I'm willing to let bygones be bygones! I don't know where you get this impression that I'm a cold-hearted tyrant. Why, I'm just like daddy, and everyone loved daddy. Now there was a good member of the family...I gotta admit, I feel sorry for your brother, being burdened with such a loud-mouthed sister.” Her eyes burned into Sunburst's, daring him to object, daring him to shout, daring for him to give her a reason to punish him. “Why, if I was in your shoes, I'd ditch her the first chance I got and forget I ever had a sister in the first place.” She smiled, clapping her hoofs together, waiting for the outburst.

And oh, he did want to object, he did want to shout, but he wasn't as naïve as Chrysalis expected. He sucked in a big gulp of air, keeping his back straight. “But you're not me, Your Highness, and I'm not you. So you can see things I can't, and in the exact same way, I see things you can't. It's all a matter of perspective. And I don't think someone as important as yourself could spare the time to see how wonderfully kind my sister is.” Out of the corner of his eye he could see Sunset trying to smile, but given the daunting task once again before them it couldn't stay.

“What with you being so busy in the castle, you'd never see how she cares not only for all the plants in the kingdom, but all the people as well, because she never turns down a cry for help. If someone needs her, she will always be there. And I truly hope someday that, if fortune should ever disfavor you, and you also need her help, she will be there to lend it.”

Chrysalis's smirk melted into a scowl, her hoofs digging in to the straw under her. What a clever little busybody. Nothing he said could really be marked as offensive, although it made her want to gag. Sibling love—what a load of crap! In the end, all you ever truly should care about was yourself, and Chrysalis found an itching need to prove it. But that wasn't what she came here for, so she steeled herself. “I'm sure that day won't be for a long, long, long while. So let's focus on the day that's here!” She patted the straw underneath her. “I know neither of you are as stupid as you look, so you must know why I brought all this over. This should be no trouble at all for such a powerful wizard!”

Sunset stomped her hoofs, glaring hotly. “How could you have used up all the gold we already gave you? It hasn't even been an entire day! You only got it this morning! You should be set for life!”

Chrysalis clicked her tongue. “You never do see the big picture, do you, Sunny-butt? Why settle for a measly couple of gold bars, when I can have a whole house full of gold! I can be set for sixteen lifetimes! With this much gold, I could cover every single thing in the castle with gold!” The idea was enough to make her drool. “Gold bedrooms, gold libraries, gold silverware, gold toilets!”

As Sunburst fought off that disturbing mental image, he spoke up again, struggling to once more find a positive outlook on a dark situation. “And if you had that much gold, you wouldn't need to tax the ponies so harshly anymore! Things could start going back to the way they used to, and no one would have to choose between their food and their health again!”

The Queen stared at Sunburst as if he'd started talking about a completely random topic. “What does that have to do with anything? Why on earth would I stop taxing my ponies?”

He balked. “Because...because you wouldn't need the money anymore?”

“I need whatever I tell you I need!” Chrysalis began to stand up, towering tall above the siblings. “Everything in this kingdom belongs to me, and if I want it, then I will get it! If I want everyone's money, then I'll get everyone's money! If I want you to turn all of this straw into gold, then that's what's going to happen! If I want you to adore me, then you're all going to adore me, way more than you ever adored my father!”

“You are nothing like your father, and everyone is suffering for it!” Sunset stopped after she said it, but then decided, what the heck, she was already doomed anyway. What was a few more inches going to matter in her grave? Sunburst was shouting her name, but Sunset kept going. “You can take our money, you can take away our lives, but I swear to you right here right now, no one is ever going to adore you! And if you had a single working brain cell in that head of yours, you'd realize why!”

In an instant she had a fistful of Chrysalis's dress and yanked her down until they were eye-level, causing Sunburst to gasp, backing up until his tail hit the door, and Sonata to reach out yet do nothing.

“I don't love Sunburst because he's related to me. Blood and titles don't automatically mean ponies have to love and respect you! It's actions that make you earn both! He's a good, kind, sweet pony that cares about everyone around him, and he always gives me a second chance after I screw up! And that's why I love him! But you... you're just a spoiled brat, throwing a temper tantrum whenever things don't go your way! You're not a queen, you're a baby with a crown!”

For the first time in Sunset's life, she saw Chrysalis lose the cocky, evil look in her eyes—it was replaced with fear. Sonata had yet to protect her, the guards were outside, and Sunset was in control here. Sunset's heart raced as she realized she had an opportunity—except, she didn't know what the opportunity was for. If she well and truly socked the Queen, which she badly wanted to do, what would follow next? Sunburst's logic was still true, there was no one to take Chrysalis's place.

Yet how could she let pass this rare chance by? Maybe one good punch would make the lesson sink in harder. Sunset readied her left hoof.

“And maybe your 'daddy' wasn't so fantastic either, if he could raise such an awful princess! The last good thing he ever did was realize his mistake and give the throne to-”

Then came the headache, slamming so hard into Sunset's brain that she cried out in pain, unable to remember the last thing she'd been about to say. Even stranger, she wasn't the only one instantly afflicted. Sunburst, Chrysalis, and Sonata all felt a similar dagger thrust into their minds, powerful enough to send them to their knees and drench them in sweat. Sunset was forced to release Chrysalis, the nerves in her forehead pulsating with torment, robbing her of the strength in her hoofs. Chrysalis stumbled to the floor, and Sonata had to lean on a stack of hay to catch her breath.

Sunburst managed to recover first, or at least swim through the pain enough to try and hold his sister up. “Sunset!” She couldn't reply.

Chrysalis shakily stood up, wiping the sweat off her forehead with the back of her hoof. She didn't know if that was divine intervention or her luck turning around, but she wasn't going to waste a second longer trying to figure it out. “It's...it's the same deal as before! Either this is all gold when I return, or your lives will continue in the dungeon...” A harsh snarl towards Sunburst. “Or in my arms!”

“W-wait a minute!” Of all the ponies, it was Sonata who was now speaking up, trying to reach a hoof towards the Queen. “Didn't you just see what happened?! What was that? What's going on?”

“Who cares?! We're going!” Chrysalis kicked over a bale of straw. Sunburst managed to pull his sister away from the door.

“But that wasn't a coincidence!” Sonata pleaded, trying to follow Chrysalis without tripping over any straw. “I've been getting headaches a lot lately, but if everyone's getting them, that can't be anything good! W-what if it's some kind of disease? What if we're all sick? We should go get a doctor!”

“I'm sick of your blabbing!” Chrysalis grabbed Sonata by her blue mane, squeezing tightly. “If I say we're going, we're going! Unless you'd like to stay and share their fate!” She pulled Sonata in close, snarling so rabidly that spare spittle was being sprinkled on Sonata's face. “So there's your choice, you idiot! Stay, or go?”

Sonata was surprised to find herself hesitating. Staying with Chrysalis meant she could keep her job and – what else was there? No respect or dignity, that was for sure, and now no health? Would life in the dungeon be that much worse? Her eyes fled to Sunburst and Sunset. Sunset was still recovering, a hoof to her head, but Sunburst was watching Sonata with pity. That hurt worst of all—surely he knew about Sonata's bullying towards Sunset, but he felt sorry for her? She felt a desperate, useless need to restore some pride.

“I-I'm going...You wouldn't catch me dead with these...losers.” She couldn't even come up with a decent insult anymore.

Chrysalis let go of Sonata's mane and patted her in the head. “The first smart decision you've ever made.” She opened the door, casting one final look upon the duo.

Sunburst eyes slowly slid over to Chrysalis. Much to her frustration, those gorgeous eyes didn't have any terror to them like they did before. This was defiance. “I don't think you even know what love is,” he spoke softly, jarring her out of her thoughts.

Chrysalis froze, her jaw set. Words wouldn't come to her, and she finally stormed off, slamming the door into Sonata's face. Sonata bounced back, rubbing her sore nose before opening the door a second time. All she could offer was a glum, “Does anybody?” before joining her mistress.

No, Sunburst wasn't afraid. Worried, yes, but fear wasn't going to take over tonight. Though his memories of the mysterious witch were vanishing by the hour, he knew she vowed to return should he ever need her help again. The worry was over his sister – she still wasn't recovering from the headache, even though everyone else had gotten over it. He shook her shoulder. “Sunset?”

“S-something's... wrong...” Sunset choked out before falling forward, her hoofs almost missing the floor. The headache hadn't left, and now it was taking over her body, her eyelids twitching and her chest heaving.

“Sunset!” Sunburst cried again, trying to hold his sister up. “The doctor, we've got to get the doctor!”

“Guards... won't...” Sunset managed to breathe out, but even with her small words, Sunburst knew what she meant – the guardsmen wouldn't let the two out of the house, just as the night before. She tried to say something else, but her head lobbed forward, and Sunburst felt tears in his eyes. Maybe if he begged hard enough, the witch would cure her – oh, now he felt fear, now it came as Sonata's words returned to him. Yes, this wasn't natural, there was something dreadfully wrong with their bodies and they didn't know what to do.

But fear wasn't going to get anything done. Sunburst drew deep, long breaths, using all the strength in his malnourished body to help Sunset to her room and lay on her bed – with all the straw clogging up the house, this task was made twice as difficult, and by the time Sunset was laying down, Sunburst was completely worn out. He covered her with her thin blanket and laid his second favorite cloak over for good measure. He tried to cast a simple healing spell, but every time he tried, her body would convulsed and she would cried out in pain. Sunburst could no longer fight his desperation, seeing his sister suffer and being unable to help.

He managed to pull himself away from her bedroom, and stood near the front door, where there was at least enough room to pace and fret. “Please...” he spoke to the open air. “Please come back! We need your help! I'll do anything, just, please, don't let me lose my sister!” He yelled at the top of his lungs, pleading for the hero to appear. “Why are things turning out this way?! Isn't there anything I can do?! Isn't there...” His voice broke, and the tears rolled down his face and were impossible to stop now. “Isn't there anything I can do...?”

Sunburst would have sobbed deep into the night, had not a warm hoof touched his cheek, a delicate touch wiping away his tears. Startled, he looked up, and there stood the good witch, her blue eyes sad and heartbroken. He didn't know how she got here and didn't care. He threw himself into her arms, crying into her shoulder, and she held him in a gentle embrace. It hurt to see her, and at the same time it was the sweetest relief.

“M-My sister...” He gasped for air. “You...you have to help her!”

“I'm sorry,” she spoke with great unwillingness, “But...I can't. There's nothing I can do for her.”

Sunburst pulled back, his face covered in shock. “What?! But...please, you have to!” He grabbed her by her shoulders and tried to shake her. “Use your magic! You said I have to pay you a kindness, right? Well I'll pay you a thousand kindnesses! Just tell me what to do, and I'll do it!”

The witch cupped his cheeks. “I also said that magic isn't the solution to everything...” She then frowned, looking away for a moment. “At least, I think that's what I said. It's getting harder to...” She shook her head, getting back to the scene. “There are some things I can't do, but there is something you can do.” She drew back enough to look at all the straw in the house, nodding once affirmatively. “And I can help you here like I did last time. I can turn this all into gold...for a kindness.”

“...For a kindness,” Sunburst mumbled, rubbing his face in an effort to wipe away his tears. “W-what can I give you? We still have some bread and milk...”

The witch hesitated for one moment, but not because she was forgetting something or she was reluctant to do what was necessary. Sunburst's sister was suffering immensely, he'd just been told there was nothing that could be done, and yet he was still willing to offer up perhaps the only food he had left. He was barely keeping it together, with wet eyes and a shaking body –but indeed, he was keeping it together. He was a wondrous being, to be sure, and in that instant the witch had to wonder if she was ever worthy of him at all – if anyone was. She shook her head, and then held up a hoof. “No, that's all right. I will spin this straw into gold, if you do me a kindness...and listen to my story.”

Sunburst blinked, blinked again, blinked harder and thinking he had heard wrong. “Listen? That's all? But that's so easy!”

The witch smiled wryly. “You'd be surprised. Some ponies need their whole lives to learn how to listen. But that's all I'm asking...hear my story out from start to finish, and I will return the favor with your fate.”

“I...” Sunburst wasn't sure how well he could pay attention when his sister was in so much pain, but on the other hoof, if the witch was going to help them out in such a big way, listening to a simple story was truly the least he could do. He nodded slowly, moving to sit on a stack of straw. “I'll listen. I'll listen to every single word.”

“I know you will.” The witch smiled. “Ponies with ears as big as ours, it's one of our best talents.” Despite Sunburst's misfortune, the wisecrack made his lips twitch for a quick smile, as she knew it would. “All right, for this story, we're going to need a bit more than our imagination. And another thing... this story doesn't have an ending, not just yet. I guess you could say it's a work in progress.” She twirled the staff in her hoof, and it glowed with a soft teal haze – little pricks of discarded straw on the floor began to stand up to attention. “It will have some happy parts, and some sad parts, but whether it's a happy story or a sad story...guess that'll depending on the ending, whenever that comes.”

Another twirl of her staff, and the witch suddenly slammed it into the floor. The straw began to fly around, meeting and twisting around each other, combining until they were small puppets without strings. Yet the shadows they cast on the wall didn't match their shapes, and Sunburst felt his eyelids go heavy. He wasn't sleepy, not exactly, he was suddenly able to see things beyond the shadows, and the witch's voice lost its gracious tone, becoming somber and cool, and then he was lost in the stars...

“Once upon a time...”


Once upon a time, there was a happy, beautiful kingdom.

It was prosperous and peaceful, with the villagers and the royalty working together so that everyone knew contentment. The King ruled wisely, and he was loved for his sensible actions, his understanding of the common pony, and he loved them in return. He also loved his sweet Queen, who was like a mother to everyone she met, bestowing care and concern upon every soul she touched. Theirs could have been a rule that would have made for decades of joy.

But when the Queen gave birth to her first child, she was told that while her heart was great, her body was weak. If she ever had another foal, she would not live to see it grow. For a few years, they had nothing to fear. They raised their first daughter with care and discipline, knowing someday she would take the throne, because their ponies would need a fair leader. However, the Queen soon found herself carrying another foal. Despite pleas from her husband, the Queen decided that she would give her own life in order for the foal to live. Thus the second daughter was born, and the Queen passed away, leaving the kingdom in great mourning.

Now that the King was alone, he feared that the fillies would blame themselves for the death of their mother. So, he decided that his daughters would be raised with love, but nothing else. He would no longer discipline them or allow anyone else to tell them they were wrong. He let them do as they pleased and wouldn't allow them to suffer any consequences. While the poor King meant well, a life without punishment or mistakes is not a good one. The girls grew up spoiled and wicked, seeing the world as a game. They treated the servants of the castle like toys, able to bully and hurt whoever they wanted, while every greedy desire was fulfilled. This continued for many years, even as the fillies became mares, wasting their fortunes and abusing everyone beneath them.

They believed that because they were royalty, they deserved the best. They were never told that royal blood, power and gold wasn't necessary for someone to love you. The King told them every day that because they were princesses, they were adored by all, even though it wasn't true.

Things would have continued on this dreadful path if not for one mistake. The younger princess had a talent for magic and often enjoyed practicing it, never once taking precautions when partaking in such a dangerous art but she didn’t care who got hurt, as long as it wasn’t her. One day as she was practicing a teleportation spell on edge of the village, a brand new sight caught her eyes. She had seen the most handsome stallion in the entire village – he was outside his house, reading a book under the shade of a tree. The princess was so enthralled that she miscalculated her spell, and she crashed into the tree.

The princess was badly injured, and in her panic cast a spell that destroyed a nearby field.

When the princess woke up, she was inside a house, being tended to by the very same stallion who had accidentally caught her attention. His sister had fixed the field and managed to salvaged most of the crops. The sister wrapped up her wounds, and the brother cast healing spells to soothe her pain. All the while they asked if she was all right, what they could do for her, and told her that all would be well. The princess assumed all this care was because she was royalty, and so demanded they tell her what price they expected to be paid for their services. But the siblings didn't understand what she was saying. That was when she realized they didn't know she was a princess at all.


Sunburst remembered details that the witch had long since forgotten, like his surprise at how frail and thin the mare in his bed was. It was as if she'd never done a single difficult thing in her life and had no muscles at all. She stared at him, incredulous at what had been said, her cold eyes changing as she struggled to understand. As she tried to form some kind of sentence, Sunburst placed a cool, wet rag on her forehead.

“If we're not careful, you could get sick from those wounds,” he had said. “So hopefully that will keep away any fever...but if it doesn't, the doctor in the village is wonderfully talented. I'm sure he'd cure you in no time,” he said pleasantly, happy to speak praise of anyone at the drop of a hat. “And the best part is, Sugar Belle gave me a little extra payment for her last potion, so paying the doctor will be no trouble at all!”

At that, the mare gripped the bed sheets and tried to sit up, despite Sunburst's protests. “Now wait a minute.” Her voice was dry and harsh. “Accepting no payment for aiding me is one thing... but you don't actually expect me to believe you'd shell out good coin for a complete stranger! No one would do that to someone they didn't love or know! Are you nuts?!”

Sunburst blinked rapidly, unable to understand what the fuss was all about. Sunset calmly reached out and pushed down on the mare’s head, sending her back into bed. “If you keep fussing like that, you'll make your wounds worse.”

The mare grumbled, embarrassed that she couldn't even push back. “I am not fussing.”

“Listen, I've raised my fair share of cousins, nieces, nephews, and little brother’s, I know what fussing is.” Sunset huffed, ready to tie down the brat if need be. “Sheesh, you act like you don't want us helping you. Would you rather we kick you out?”

“Sunset,” Sunburst said her name only once, but just that once got her to ease up. He then faced the mare again, all kindness once more. “We're not going to kick you out. In fact, I don't think you should even leave this bed for a few days. Don't you worry about paying or anything at all.” He then stood up, brushing his robe down. “We should get you a good meal, and put some energy back into you! Then maybe we could talk about that teleportation spell.” He then pranced a little in place, excited at the prospect of magic. “That was some high level magic you cast there, I’ve only ever read about it in books, this is going to be so much fun! You really have to tell me who thought you!”

Sunset place a hoof in her chest. “And I'll work on fixing that plot of land you blasted, you actually did us a favor there, we were planning on replacing the soil there anyway.” Her eyes shone and her voice became just as giddy as her sibling's. “You saved us a lot of time! Now we can finish planting the sunflowers, and hopefully they will bloom in time for the summer festival!”

The mare stared at them, incredulous. The happiness she was seeing there was completely unfamiliar to her– she knew then and there she'd never come close to feeling anything like that. All of her toys, all of her books, all of her gold, nothing had ever made her smile like they were smiling. She felt herself sinking deeper into the bed. She was a princess, she was royalty, and yet now she felt he was in the presence of two vastly superior beings.

Sunburst lightly touched her forehead again. “Now then, is there anything else we can do for you?”

The mare said nothing at first, watching him, trying to understand him, not knowing her eyes were losing their icy glare.

“No,” she finally said, and for the first time in her life said, “Thank you.”


They had no idea who she was, but they had reached out their arms and welcomed her into their home, treating her injuries and helping her in every way they could. The princess was stunned that anyone would be so kind to a complete stranger. To them, rich and poor didn't matter when it came to helping another. Most amazing of all, they wore bright, happy smiles as they worked. They were pleased to be helping another pony. It was a joy that the princess didn't know could exist. It made all the so-called happiness she thought she knew in the castle seem hollow and empty.

Soon the princess could leave the house, but she found she was reluctant to leave a home of pure love and reenter one so fake and shallow. The princess decided that she didn't want a love she hadn't earned, and wanted to understand how the siblings saw the world. So she decided she would return to the village and not tell anyone who she was, pretending to be a mere traveler. Her surprises continued as the villagers were also kind and welcoming towards her, despite thinking she was a commoner. A farm woman offered her eggs for free since she was a new face, and her husband volunteered to give her a tour of the village. A nobleman selling armor laughed at her jokes. The blacksmith wanted her to have a seat and share stories. No matter where she went, she found that no one cared for titles or riches, for they had the fortune to know one another.

The princess continued to visit the siblings, and her world opened up. No longer was she merely a princess, but she found new aspects to herself that they brought out. She was a joker, clever, full of energy and creativity. She discovered that it wasn't that they completely loved strangers – their love came from love of pony kind itself, of knowing the possibilities with new friends. She learned about hope, compassion, and hard work – and as she saw how hard her friends worked, she better understood how the kingdom was ruled, more than any tutor could teach her. The kingdom was great and prosperous, but it could be better. Perhaps adding a new road there, increasing a price there, getting rid of laws or loopholes... but there was one problem with her attempt to make changes. She wasn't the heir to the throne.

The elder sister was still spoiled and wicked, and had no desire to change her ways. She didn't understand why her younger sister chose to mingle with commoners, and mocked her sibling for her foolish hobbies. The younger princess tried again and again to bring the older princess out of the castle to see the wonderful ways of the kingdom, but the older princess refused. She enjoyed her narcissism and greediness far too much to let anyone inside her heart. The older princess assumed that the younger princess must be toying with the villagers, it was the only thing that made sense to her. It was clear that when she became queen, her selfish ways would bring great harm to everyone.

She only cared about herself, and believed love was bestowed upon her whether she'd done anything to earn it or not.

The younger princess was despondent, but she still continued to visit the village, even revealing her true self to them all. They happily accepted her and treated her no different, having come to truly adore her the same way she adored them. The ones who cared for her most were the siblings, and no one was surprised to find she felt the same – especially when it came to the younger brother. His heart knew no limits, giving those who had lost their second chance a third and fourth one. Whenever he cast an enchantment or made a potion, he did so with care and dedication, knowing that such a talent had to be use with great care. Sometimes the princess would watch him work, and all of his motions were precise and calculated, and it seemed he knew all the steps by heart and yet he never rush or falter. All the while he'd hum a merry tune, and perhaps give the princess a shy smile.

Eventually he got tired of her merely watching and invited her to sit with him, so he could teach her how to make a proper remedy. Her mixtures exploded in her face many times, and he'd held her until the pain went away. The first time the princess successfully brewed a potion, she felt actual accomplishment for the first time in her life. It was only then that she felt she was capable of doing things, of making change, of actually working for someone else. She understood why the little brother took such great pride in his work – and she wanted to feel the same pride. A true ruler was not a ruler at all, but an equal worker with the people of her land. The little brother believed he could do anything she put her mind to, and it was no wonder that he stole her heart. His sister could see it plain as day, and would often wait a little longer to return home so the shy lovers could spend more time alone together.

Little by little, the younger princess tried to make what changes she could. The mare who could make any plant grow became the gardener, an injured guardsman could rest knowing his family would be taken care of, and an arrogant Captain found herself soothed when treated with dignity. But this happy time was not meant to last. The King was growing ill, and it was apparent that soon he would leave the world and his bratty daughter would ruin the throne. The younger princess was ready to give up all hope of change, but the gardener didn't see anything ending so soon. If the older princess wasn't going to change, then someone else would need to rule the kingdom. So the gardener asked: “Why couldn’t the younger princess take the throne?”


Sunburst saw this too, although the girls hadn't known he was there at the time. Sunset and her friend were in the marketplace, with Sunset dragging the mare to every single stall in an effort to buy her something. Sunset was overjoyed by her new job at the castle, and insisted she show her thanks with a gift, but the mare wasn't having any of it, although the continued efforts were making her laugh. She even laughed when Sunset pulled her into a tight hug and spin her around.

“C'mon you little brat, let me get you a new dress! Or a new book! At least let me buy you a meal, you hard head!”

“I told you,” the mare said between breathless laughter, “I don't want anything! I'm just glad it all worked out!”

At the time, Sunburst was picking up his new set of glasses, and he spotted the two mares playfully running around. He had planned to strut over and see if the mare noticed how much effort he had put into his appearance this morning, but Flash had suddenly yanked Sunburst out of sight, grinning as he put a hoof to his lips. To Flash, spying could be just as much fun as flirting. Sunburst didn't quite agree, but neither did he actually fight Flash off, as they popped their heads around the corner of Flash's house to hear what the mares would say, preferably about them.

But the subject didn't wander over to stallions, as Sunburst let go of her friend. “You sound more like a villager than a royal! You ever get in trouble for speaking like that?”

“Nah, dad doesn't mind...” The mare shrugged. “Chrysalis makes fun, but she makes fun of everything I do. She thinks this is all some big joke and she's having the biggest laugh, but she doesn't even want to understand why I'm here.” The unicorn slowed down her walk, her earlier happiness vanishing. “I'm... I'm really worried, Sunset. The other day I heard her proposing some ideas for when she takes the throne... All of it was taxes. Taxes on chicken feed, taxes on wagon wheels, taxes on horseshoes...she's going to rob every one of every last coin they have, and she thinks she deserves it.”

Sunset frowned, initially quiet given the seriousness of the conversation. “...Have you given any thought to what I said? I meant it. You should be the next queen.”

The stallions gasped and covered each other mouths with their hoofs—Sunburst got to Flash's first—quickly to muffle the sound. Sunset glanced over, quizzical at what she thought she heard, but the princess sighed loudly enough to bring her back. “I don't know...that's a lot of responsibility, and I...I don't think I could ever be as good as my dad.”

Sunset gently placed a hoof on the unicorn’s shoulder. “No one's asking you to be as good as your old man. Amazingly enough, he's not perfect, and neither are you...no matter what certain stallions may be thinking.” She shot a glance at the not-very-well-hidden guys. She didn't need to see Sunburst to know he was blushing deeply and Flash was suppressing mad chuckles. “We just want you to be you, and that's more than good enough to help us all out. At least ask around and see what everyone else thinks.”

The mare slowly smiled, lifting her head to face Sunset. She reached up and hugged Sunset. “Thanks...you know, you're one of the best friends I've ever had.”

“Does that really count if you didn't have any friends until you met me and Sunburst?”

The unicorn smirked. “If I do become Queen, the first thing I'll do is outlaw all wise-cracks.”

Sunset grin and begin dragging the mare by the withers. “I'll stop the gags if you let me reward you, my sister-in-law.”

Now it was the stallion's turn to blush and fluster while Sunset cackled joyfully, and the two stallions collapse into a fit of laughter, having no doubt that the mare would be queen and their lives would be grand and glorious.


The younger princess was shocked at the idea, and at first didn't accept it. But as she went from friend to friend, villager to villager, she discovered they too encouraged the idea and would be proud to see her wear the crown. Encouraged by all those who believed in her, the princess approached her dying father and kneeled, made the argument to become the next queen. As the King listened to all the experiences his youngest daughter had gone through, and how much his girl had changed, he realized how wrong he had been to raise his children without a firm hoof. Despite his failings, the younger princess had become a fine mare, and would be a fine ruler. The younger princess was henceforth declared to be the heir to the throne.

The eldest daughter was enraged by this choice. She saw her younger sister as a thief, and her father as a liar who didn't truly love her at all. She refused to let her power be taken, and would use any means to keep what she saw as rightfully hers. The older sister decided to use the family's secret to secure her throne. Long ago when the girls were still young, the King had told them of a magic book hidden in his room. It had been given to the earliest of kings by a friendly alicorn, who assured them that if they continued to rule in kindness, then the magic would never fade.

That was the number one rule of magic – in order to do a kindness, a kindness must be given in turn. Generations of kings and queens vowed to only use the book in the direst of emergencies, and now the eldest princess felt this was an emergency. As her father slept, she crept into the room and stole the book, selecting a certain spell that would keep things the way she wanted them – and more.

The night before the last of the spell was complete, the younger princess visited her favorite family once more, telling them that she would take the throne. They were happy for her, and knew she would rule well. She promised tomorrow she would see them again, and then she looked at the young wizard, told him that she would have a very important question to ask him when that day came. She told him how much she loved him, that her very day and night began and ended with thoughts of him, and that he had helped her become a better pony. He responded that he loved her too, and that his life was richer than gold because he knew her. Whatever question she had for him, he knew he would reply with truest sincerity and deepest love.


This memory was clearest of all, for it had the most details he could grasp. The chilly air under the moonlight gave Sunburst the idea to take off his cape and wrap it around the mare’s shoulders. They could have just as easily gone inside the house, but Sunset was there, and this was not a moment that needed teasing. Even though the moment was peaceful and tranquil, with their foreheads pressed together and not a word exchanged between them, their hearts were racing. The unicorn would be Queen, not tomorrow and not the day after, but it would be soon. For better or worse, things would change, and they were both excited and afraid of what that would entail.

Sunburst looked into her beautiful blue eyes, amazed that once they held so much cold and cruelty. He knew he was part of the reason for that change, and there was a hint of pride in his heart. “You're going to be a wonderful queen,” he spoke softly.

“I'm going do my best,” the mare replied, and Sunburst had come to enjoy the gentle tone of her voice. It seemed as if the real pony had been hidden for years and being in the village had drawn her out. “And I still might not be sure what my best is...but I'm going to try. This whole kingdom is full of great, amazing ponies...” She reached out to cup his cheek. “And I want to keep them all happy.” Even if she valued some pony’s happiness over others. She was a flawed being – but so was everyone else, like her great father. “And I want you, and Sunset, and everyone else to keep my head on straight. I won't be running this place alone. We're all going to work together.”

Sunburst touched the hoof on his cheek, wanting to keep her there even though he knew she had to leave soon. “What did you want to ask me? Why does it have to wait?”

The princess smiled – a real, genuine, full of happiness smile. “Sorry, Sunburst, but I’m not going to tell until the time is right!”

“What's wrong with the time right now?” Sunburst hugged her closer, his short beard tickling the mare’s skin. “Tell me, tell me, tell me!”

“No way, no how, not now!” The unicorn laughs and made a run for it, the stallion ran after her, laughing just as hard, chasing each other around the smashed tree. He managed to outrun her and then caught her in his arms, spinning her around as they dizzily called each other names in truest adoration. He tried to demand her to tell him, so she silenced him with a kiss, and it was warm, and it was soft, and each kiss they had was better than their last. But no matter how many kisses were exchanged, no matter how many declarations of love were passed between them in sweet whispers, she wouldn't ask him what she wanted to ask him until, as she insisted, the time was right.

Finally, the mare had to leave, and as she reluctantly began to enter her carriage, she felt her cape being tugged. She turned around, an amused expression on her face. “For the last time-”

“I know,” Sunburst interrupted, letting go of her. “All I wanted to ask was...whatever this question is...is it going to help the kingdom?”

The mare watched him for a moment, and Sunburst felt as if the weight of the world was on his withers. The mare reached down and kiss him on the cheek, and his heart skipped a beat. “I think it will help the kingdom in a million and one ways... but even if it didn't, I still think it's pretty darn important. Might be the most important question I ever asked.” Then, playfully adding as she drew him in close to kiss his forehead. “Aside from, 'are you nuts'?”

Sunburst pushed her lightly into the carriage, sticking out his tongue, once she was gone and the hoofbeats couldn't be heard, he sighed and shivered slightly now that his cape was missing—but he smiled anyway. This night was a special one, he just knew it. He touched his hoof to his lips, wondering if he'd ever stop smiling. He had an idea to what her question would be, but for now he'd wait. He could be patient, if she was going to ask what he believed she would ask.


In the night as everyone slept, the older princess finished the last action of the spell – a spell to make everyone forget that the younger princess had ever existed. Yet the older princess didn't realize the spell would even affect herself. In the morning, no one remembered who the younger princess was. She was thrown out of the castle as an intruder, no matter how hard she pleaded and begged for her family to remember her. She ran into the village, but no one knew her name, and it was as if they didn't want to know. Not only had every memory of her been taken, but even the actions she'd done were being forgotten. In one last desperate act, she ran to the house of the wizard and the gardener. The gardener had no idea who she was, and was about to find her brother to ask if he knew who the stranger was.

The younger princess couldn't stand the thought of her beloved asking who she was, and so she fled from the kingdom with a broken heart. Like a coward, she hid away from the world, crying over what she had lost and couldn't regain. Her gentle father died without remembering his youngest daughter.

Every day, the princess too began to lose memories about herself, even her own name, and feared one day she would vanish completely. Yet not everyone had completely forgotten her, for as powerful as the spell was, it was no match for the original immortal alicorn who had created it – her mind would last much longer than a mere mortal's, although she too would eventually forget.

The kindly alicorn had sensed someone using her spells for an ill purpose, and had found the younger princess. She took the girl in, teaching her spells to delight and help those around her, but also warned the princess that the kingdom was suffering because of the older princess's actions.

The older princess had ignored the one rule of magic – to do a kindness and have a kindness be done in turn. Because she had done neither, the spell was incomplete and wreaking havoc with everyone's minds. Their memories were fighting back, trying to be remembered, and the inconsistency all around them would cause them great pain and panic. Soon, everyone in the kingdom would be stricken with agony before ultimately leading to their deaths. The spell had finally started to affect the alicorn as well, forgetting the princess's name and what she'd taught the girl. The alicorn did know how to reverse the spell, but unfortunately it was through an action neither of them could do.

The younger princess couldn't allow her ponies to suffer, and with what little she remembered of her spells and her life, she bid the alicorn farewell. The alicorn gave the princess her magical staff, which would boost her powers and delay the headaches, but only for a short amount of time. With the spells, the staff, and her ambition, the princess needed to find the one pony who could perform the action and reverse the spell, and she knew who it would be.

It was the one pony she loved, the one she wanted, the one she needed, and even if it would torment her to have him ask who she was, she knew she had to see him again. Her bond with him was the strongest, and he would be the one to last the longest, and he could find the...


It was there that the witch stopped her tale, closing her eyes and rubbing her temple. Sunburst gasped, as if he'd forgotten how to breathe and he remembered where he was.

No, he didn't know her name, but his chest pounded with heartbreak and devotion—how could he have forgotten her? How could he have lost the times when he cupped her face and kissed her hair, whispering words of tenderness that he was embarrassed others would hear? The smell of her in the capes he would lend her—he could see it all, feel it all, clear as day—her bruised face laying on his bed, those cold eyes melting into genuine affection, her games with the children of the village, her merry dancing during the summer festival and—oh—oh no, no, no, just as he was seeing them, they were leaving! He'd presumed his favorite cape lost when he couldn't recall who he’d given it to—he was going to forget them again—he was going to forget her again!

Sunburst jumped off the hay and ran to the witch, taking her in his arms, as if by holding her he could never let anything about her go again.

“What can I do?” he begged her, shaking her hard. “I don't want to forget you again! How can I reverse the spell?” The headache came, and he fought it off, though it wasn't easy.

The witch dropped to her haunches, bracing herself against him gently. “The only way to reverse the spell...is for someone who loves me to say my name.”

The wizard plunged into what few memories he had left, but to his horror found that not even the times of kisses and playful dates had a name to them.

“I...I can't remember!” He breathed rapidly, his body trembling with grief. “I'm trying, but I can't! And...I'm losing it all again! It's all leaving me!” His vision blurred, and he knew he loved her, but he couldn't say why. “You're why...You're the reason why I can't be with anyone else! I don't want to be with anyone else! I'll never be truly happy again unless I'm with you!” He bent over, hoarse with sobs, knowing that if he closed his eyes he'd forget the color of her eyes. “There's... nothing I can do...”

“Yes, there is.” The witch's soft voice became strong, and she held his face, the way he thought he remembered she used to. “I've lost so many memories...but my memories about you are the strongest! I know that there's an item in the castle that still has my name on it! It's hidden in my room, and the one thing Chrysalis didn't toss away, because I never told her about it. I know it has my name on it, and if you say it, then everyone will remember everything! The headaches will stop, and Sunset won't be in pain anymore!”

Sunburst swallowed hard. “Item? What item?”

The witch's face momentarily fell. “I... I don't remember what it is. All I can remember is that I hid it, it has my name, and it's connected to you somehow! If I get in the castle myself, Chrysalis will throw me out before I can find it. There has to be some way for you and Sunset to get in the castle. She's the gardener, maybe you can use that somehow!”

No, that wouldn't work, and Sunburst knew it. He also knew there was another way into the castle, and for a moment wondered why the witch hadn't mentioned it – unless she'd already forgotten, or just as plausible, the idea would disgust her so deeply she'd forbid it. It disgusted him too, but it was the only way he'd be allowed within the castle, and to find the item that would save the kingdom. He wouldn't tell the witch, not when she was already suffering so much. All his life she wanted to be use to ponies, to help them, and this would be the hardest way yet. Sunset had said she would spend every coin she had to keep Sunburst healthy – it was time for him to step up and return that devotion.

“There is something I can do,” he finally said. “Something, only I can do.” For the sake of his sister, for everyone in the kingdom, and to save the mare in front of him, he'd sacrifice everything. His was a love for all so great and pure it could be devastating.

The witch smiled, perhaps with a tear or two of her own. “I believe in you, Sunburst.” That one word, that one name, was the one that had never been forgotten for a single second. If all else failed and she was doomed, it would be the last memory to leave her, she knew it. She pressed their foreheads together – she greatly longed for a kiss, but knew if she dared, she would be unable to leave him, even though her mere presence was hurting his mind. She could see him wincing in pain, and understood her time was up.

She rose to her feet, picking up a strand of straw as she did so. “Because you have done me a kindness and listened to my story, I will do you a kindness and turn all of this straw into gold.” There was no need for fancy flourish or trying to impress him when time was on the line. Once more she pointed at the straw with her staff, once more all the straw flew around in a dizzying tornado, and once more when the blinding colors came to a stop, gold bars covered the floor to the ceiling.

Sunburst closed his eyes, his hoofs pressed firmly on the floor. He was afraid, deeply so, and he knew that even if he had all his memories intact, he was never as frightened as he was now. The things he was about to do, the fate of everyone in his feeble withers, it was a burden he wasn't ready for. But he'd carry it all, and he wouldn't complain, he wouldn't object. He never knew he was capable of such strength.

Had the witch brought it out of him, during those tranquil days of studying magic and sharing stories? The spell was over, and Sunburst dared to look up, but this time the witch hadn't even given him a farewell before leaving. Perhaps it had been too much for her to see him this way, and he couldn't blame her. His head hurt, and so did his heart.

Sunburst couldn't go anywhere now, the gold made it impossible for him to walk to any of the rooms, even blocking him off from Sunset. He could only go to the door, and used this space to quietly call for the guards.

“Inform the Queen,” he said with a somber voice, “that the gold is ready.”

Without waiting for a reply, he closed the door. He sat down, his head hanging low, unable and unwilling to sleep. Every time he seemed ready to nod off, he bit down on his tongue, making himself jolt back up. He wouldn't allow himself to sleep, to let his mind lose more memories, not if he could help it. The night passed like eternity, and every so often he wept over what he had lost and what he could lose.

After what felt like centuries of agony, he could hear the sound of hoofbeats outside. He slowly stood up, brushing down his cape and cleaned up his face as best he could. The door opened, with Sonata coming inside first. Even though she was there the first morning that this had happened, she was still shocked to see all the gold piled up like tall buildings.

“Hooolyyyy cow.” Sonata drew out the word as her eyes took their time surveying the room. “I don't think this much gold exists in the whole wide world.” She looked at Sunburst, and while there wasn't exactly kindness in her face, he thought he saw a mixture of awe and respect. “How do you do it? I mean really, how do you do it?”

Sunburst blinked and for a brief second saw her before the spell had been cast – she had still been mostly the same, but her arrogance had been controlled, a warm smile and a cheerful laugh and strong a strong voice that command awe and respect – but then it was gone, and she was a sad soul that left hurt feelings turn her in to a bully. “I just do my best, Captain,” he finally said with a faint smile. “Just like you do. It's all anyone should ever want from you, and I know you do it.”

Sonata was surprised, and she scratched her cheek, unsure how to handle such a compliment. Perhaps she would've thanked him, if the Queen hadn't shoved her aside. “Hey, if you want to be the first pony road-block, do it somewhere else, dimwit!” And just as Sunburst had a quick flash to Sonata's former self, a horrid memory came with Chrysalis as well.

It was quick, and he couldn't remember all that had been said – but he was very sure she had approached him with leery eyes and eager hoofs, trying to entice him, trying to take him, trying to assure him that she'd be a much better match for him than her sister, and that was all it had really been, trying to somehow prove she was better than her sister by taking what she loved most – and he had pushed her away, hard, right in to a pond.

“What is this?” Chrysalis asked, startling Sunburst back to the present – his hoof had been outstretched, close to reenacting what he recalled.

“I... wanted… to shake your hoof!” Sunburst said quickly, his body shaking. “And thank you for coming to my humble little house again!”

“Ah, of course!” Chrysalis took his hoof, winking and making Sunburst's skin crawl. “See, now there's some real respect. Maybe a good night of work showed you what's what.” She then looked around to see the gold, heels clicking with glee. “And look at all that work! I could fill my entire room with all this gold! Sonata, don't just stand there, start carrying something other than your empty head!” She jumped with joy, and walked over to the closest section of gold, beginning to count.

Sunburst braced himself, biting his lip, before he spoke. “Your Highness... is this going to happen again?”

Chrysalis frowned at being interrupted. “So, what if it does? There's plenty of straw left in this kingdom, and plenty of room in my castle for gold! You should be grateful that I've chosen you to do this honor! Others would beg for an opportunity to even be near me!”

As Sonata glanced around, wondering what happened to Sunset Shimmer, Sunburst continued speaking timidly. “And if I don't spin the next batch of straw into gold again, I'll be thrown into the dungeon... or become your husband.”

“That's right!” Chrysalis snorted, tossing her mane and continuing to count. “So, unless you'd rather be behind bars or behind the castle walls, you're going to do exactly as I say.”

“...What if I'd rather do that?”

Both mares stopped what they were doing, and although Sunset couldn't hear this conversation, she felt a sudden urge to sit up in bed.

Sunburst looked right into the eyes of the mare killing the kingdom, and no longer hesitated, speaking as boldly and directly as he could.

“Your Highness, Queen Chrysalis...would you do me the honor of marrying me?”

Author's Note:

Long chapter, but don't worry, one more chapter and we can call this a wrap! Thanks for reading so far in to this story.