• Published 4th Feb 2019
  • 887 Views, 14 Comments

All That Glitters - FoolAmongTheStars



When the youngest brother is put in unspeakable danger, could a witch with no name save him in his direst hour?

  • ...
2
 14
 887

Chapter 1

Waking up from a deep, long sleep can often be an exhausting thing, as the young stallion was learning.

The sun was poking in through the ratty curtains, casting a simple yet unwelcome glow on his face. With a tiny grunt, he turned over, shivering slightly in the chillness of his room. The remains of the dream were already beginning to scatter, and reminders of the real world crawled in to take their place. Within seconds he had forgotten what the dream was about, and could only be sure that he had dreamed. The memories of it slipped from his mind, and he grunted again, saddened, though he didn't know why.

But morning had arrived, and that meant it was time to face the day. He gave up on trying to remember his dream, and sat up in bed, yawning as he stretched on the bed. He doubted that even if his yawn was loud and bellowing it'd wake up his sister, but he preferred to make as little noise as possible. He never liked loud things, and often his sister would tease him that the reason was because of his large, yellow ears. He'd counter that her ears were just as big as his, being siblings and all. It was a ridiculous argument that usually wound up in silly laughter, but these days the funny exchanges were harder to find. Life was getting hard.

With one more yawn, he put on his glasses and crawled out of bed, no longer wincing when his bare hooves touched the cold floor. He shuffled over to his small dresser drawer, deciding that today he could forgo a bath—water had to be carefully saved, now that Queen Chrysalis had declared a tax on using the local wells. Everything had a tax nowadays, and many depressingly mused that one day the Queen would issue a tax on complaining about the taxes. If that joke ever became reality, his sister would be in the poorhouse within minutes. Then again—he glanced at their cold, dirty, moth-eaten surroundings—was there a house poorer than this? But thinking on such a glum matter this early wouldn't get anything done, and he tried to shake the sad thoughts from his mind.

He tried thinking about the positives, like how his second favorite cloak didn't have any holes and that there was less dirt on the floor than usual. His older sister worked on the gardens and often she'd come home covered in dirt. He made a mental note to sweep the floor later, although it would only stay clean for a couple of hours. With his outfit for the day chosen, he walked to his sister's room, not bothering to knock. Many years ago, this large house had been filled with happy relatives, until each one married or left to pursue their own happiness. Now it was just the two of them.

His sister was laying on her stomach, snoring obnoxiously and drooling on her pillow. She shivered occasionally under her blanket—there had been only one blanket left after selling most of their possessions, and after a long, heated debate, he convinced her to take it, but not after ranting that if she didn't take it, he'd throw it out. His sister was the one who was known for her fiery temper, but he could be just as determined if he wanted to. Despite their clashing tempers, it was their way of showing how they loved each other, and while he hated arguing, he didn’t feel remorse about the outcome, if it meant his sister would be more comfortable. He sighed heavily, and then began to shake her shoulder.

“Sunset, it's time to get up! We have to go to the market before everything is sold out!”

Sunset Shimmer had probably been awake for some time now, but unlike her brother who could easily roll out of bed, she needed additional assistance. “Don't wanna,” she mumbled into the pillow. “Go away.”

“We have to buy eggs, and milk, and bread! And we have to get that hole in the roof fixed! And you have to go to work, and I have to deliver Sugar Belle’s spell, and...”

“Don't wanna,” she repeated in the same tired tone, having not listened to a word he said.

He rolled his eyes, but knew exactly what to say to get her attention. “Okay, go back to sleep. Flash Sentry had stopped by to visit, but I guess I'll just tell him to leave-”

The moment Flash's name was mentioned, Sunset bolted upright, scrambling so fast to get out of bed that she tripped over her own feet and landed on the floor face first. She dizzily slid the rest of her body onto the floor, and once she regained her senses, cast a small glare at her little brother.

“Flash’s not here, is he?”

“Good morning, Sunset.” He smiled cheekily.

“...Good morning, Sunburst.” One day she wasn't going to fall for that trick, but that day was far into the future.

She rolled onto her back and managed to find her feet, standing up and smoothing down her blonde fur. Her stomach rumbled and the siblings did their best to pretend they hadn't heard it. Breakfast was sometimes a luxury, but if everything went right at the market, they might be able to have it for a few days. Sunset dragged herself to her own drawer, merely choosing to brush her mane quickly, mumbling that she didn't care as to what other ponies’ saw—which was a lie, she cared far too much. “Eggs, milk, and... what was the last one?”

“Bread,” Sunburst reminded her, waiting patiently for her to finish. “I can take care of the eggs, and talk to Sugar Belle about her spell at the same time. Once you get the milk and bread, you can head straight to work,” he felt it necessary to add. “And I do mean straight to work.”

Sunset frowned, she knew full well what her brother meant, but pride controlled her muzzle. “What's that supposed to mean? I always go right to work.” She headed for the hall, hoping that it would end the conversation, but Sunburst tailed her.

“I mean, don't get into any fights, and don't start lying again.” He stayed right at her side, giving her a knowing look while she refused to meet his eyes.

“Name one time I have ever lied,” Sunset replied, trying to dodge at least one complaint.

“You told Rainbow Dash you could lift a wagon with one arm. You told Miss Cake we were descendants of Celestia. You told Mister Rock Tuff we had a secret supply of expensive talking silk-worms hidden in the basement. You told the blacksmith-”

“I SAID NAME ONE TIME!”

Sunburst was unfazed by his sister's roar as they made it to the front door, and Sunset huffed and puffed, trying to calm down before they were in public. “So maybe, on occasion, I exaggerate a bit.”

Arguing semantics would take all day, so Sunburst skipped ahead. “I just don't understand why you do it. You know everyone is going to call you out on it, and then you look worse than before.”

He grabbed a small saddle bag that sat by the door, lightly swinging it by its worn-out strap. They stepped into the gentle, dim sunlight which was now beginning to loom over the small kingdom. Their home was the furthest away from the castle, and often had the most travelers roll by their door. When Sunburst was younger, he was always happy to see a carriage slow down to a stop, as it meant a potential customer had come by who may need a charm or an enchantment before they continued their journey.

Travelers were seen less and less now, as nobody wanted to come visit their land, the once beautiful Crystal Kingdom. Sunset raised her chin and flicked her mane as they walked. “Is it so wrong that I wish we were better than what we are? A down-on-their luck family that's struggling to get by, in a miserable kingdom with a rotten Queen?” She sighed and kicked a pebble out of her way.

“You’re not the only one,” Sunburst replied, glancing around to make sure the captain of the guards wasn't around. She was the only mare who cared when someone bad-mouthed the Queen, and even then it was only because she was rewarded when pointing out 'traitors to the crown'. “But still, I like who we are!”

“But I don't want to be like everyone else.” Sunset Shimmer snorted hard. “I wish we were special in some way! Something that makes us stand out, something that says we're worth being alive, something like... I don't know, just a purpose.” She grumbled, knowing that explaining this was fruitless. “Every day we do the same things, and nothing ever changes.”

They were getting closer to the marketplace, with ponies loudly shouting their wares and the sounds of chickens clucking mixed with mooing cows. Sunburst spotted a familiar, welcoming face in the early crowd. “Well...things don't always have to be that way. I know someone who would like a big change only you can give.”

Sunset had a fair guess as to what Sunburst was referring to, and she glanced to where he was looking. A young stallion was carefully setting out displays of shiny pieces of armor, set up neatly so they catch the glare of the sun. While everyone in the village had meager means, some were less meager than others. It would only be a matter of time before he was in the same boat as everyone else, but for now he could afford to dress a little more nicely then others. He was quite handsome, and he knew it, often using a flirtatious wink or a well place compliment to guarantee a sale. But once money had been exchanged, he made it quite clear that he was happily taken – by Sunset.

Sunset made a long, uncomfortable noise in her throat before speaking. “Not yet. Just...not yet.”

Before Sunburst could launch into a full tirade she cut him off. “Look, I'm not going to marry him until I know you'll be okay!” With Flash Sentry’s extra riches, Sunset could have lived with him instead of the other way around, but that was not a choice she could live with just yet, despite her brother's insistence.

“Oh, for goodness' sake!” Sunburst stomped the ground, his pale cheeks puffing out. “I don't need to go out and get a wife who would constantly nag me! I can do just fine on my own! You can go live with Flash and live happily ever after without me.”

“It's not a happily ever after until I know my brother is happy.” Sunset lightly poked Sunburst on the nose, but it failed to elicit a giggle like when he was younger. “I know you can take care of yourself, it’s just…I just don't want you to be alone.”

Sunburst’s lips pressed together and he didn't say anything right away. The big problem was that Sunburst didn't want to live alone either. While he wasn’t the most outgoing of ponies, he dreaded the thought of being in that big house all by himself, of days without happy conversations and familiar support. Ever since Sunset and Flash had started their courtship over a year ago, an ugly jealousy had grown in his big heart – not just for “losing” his beloved sister, but longing deeply for something similar. Yet he pressed down on these unpleasant emotions and suddenly shoved Sunset on the flank.

“Well, I'm fine to go shopping on my own so keep that in mind!” It took another shove for Sunset to give up talking and head towards Flash, offering a tired wave.

Flash Sentry perked up upon seeing her, and once she was close, kissed her on the cheek. She blushed, smiling as she tucked herself affectionately against his side, asking about his day and his plans. Sunburst watched them for a moment longer, each beat of his heart being pricked by the thorns of jealousy. Sunset deserved to be happy with her beloved, and Sunburst was the only obstacle preventing that. Flash spotted Sunburst out of the corner of his eye, and he began to wave, trying to invite him over.

Flash was kind and a little too honest at times, but he was a good stallion, and perfect for Sunburst’s sister. It wouldn't have surprised Sunburst if Flash would have also welcomed him into his home once the knot was tied, yet Sunburst couldn't see himself accepting the generous offer. Perhaps stubbornness was a family trait. Sunburst wouldn't let himself be a burden on Sunset's shoulders for the rest of her life.

He waved back but he was quick to walk off, suppressing his sadness once again.

What about the rest of his life? Sunburst would be happy to continue casting small enchantments and make potions, as it gave him a great joy to use his talent to help others. The look of a stallion's face as he saw his old trousers ready for farm-work again, the giddy laughter of children after their favorite toy was found, the eager gratitude of old women feeling young again after he cast a quick healing spell...These were worth far more than any coin. Helping others was the best kind of feeling – so knowing that he couldn't help Sunset was in turn the worst feeling.

The easiest solution would be if he got married, and while hardly narcissistic, Sunburst knew he wasn't unattractive. Even with bags under his eyes and his stomach caving in, he still got interested glances from many mares, such as today as he headed for Sugar Belle’s booth. There had been a number of times when, upon casting whatever spell or enchantment he was asked to, he noticed that it hadn’t been entirely necessary thing to do. It'd merely been a way to try to offer a date as a payment. It had been flattering the first time, suspicious the second, and by the fifth time someone had done it he’d up and slam the door in their face. If he was going to date anyone, he wanted them to be honest, not skip out on giving him hard-earned money.

Then there was that last thing that he wouldn't tell anyone – not Sunset, not Flash, not Sugar Belle, he wouldn't even speak it outside of his own mind. It was just...a feeling. A feeling that being with someone wasn't right. It was stronger than distaste or revulsion – it was if someone in the back of his mind wouldn't let him date anyone, screaming at him the moment he even dared to think of it, his entire body rejecting the mere idea. No matter how beautiful or kind they were, this unnamed feeling sat in the back of his mind like a watchful stranger. He knew if he ever told someone, he'd sound crazy, and had to wonder sometimes if he actually was crazy since he couldn't understand this feeling.

It was a sensation, that something was missing. A pause in the great plan of life. He trotted on.

Sugar Belle was cuddling one of her favorite chickens, believing that if her beloved birds saw how well their eggs sold, it would encourage them to lay more. When Sunburst approached, the mare smiled, and bent over to give Sunburst's a motherly kiss on his cheek. “Good morning, Sunburst! It is a deee-light to see you, it truly is.”

Sunburst easily wore his smile like make-up, forgoing all his bad thoughts. “Good morning, Sugar Belle. Do you know you say that every morning?”

“Because it's true every morning!” Sugar Belle grinned, and Sunburst let out a little laugh. “How are you, my dear? Keeping Sunset out of trouble?”

“Trying to, at the very least,” Sunburst quipped, putting his saddle bag on the table. “I just started work on your spell. It should be finished by Friday...but I wanted to ask you about how strong you want the effects to be. You see, if I do it a certain way, it-”

Sugar Belle held up a hoof. “Tut-tut-tut!” and her chicken copied with a cluck-cluck-cluck. “Sunburst, you've been preparing those enchantments for me for ages, I trust you way more than I trust myself! Whatever you do is the right decision, it always has been and it always will be. Why, sometimes I trust you more than my own husband.”

There came that sting again, and Sunburst fought it valiantly. Wasn't there an old saying that when you were unlucky in love, you saw nothing but couples around you? “And how is Big Mac by the way? Is his back any better?”

Sugar Belle clicked her tongue. “He still needs a few more days...the doctor said he can wait on payment, but you know how he can be. He refuses to get himself checked out until he can properly pay for it, but he can't pay for it unless he works, and we don't know when he can work until a doctor can check him out...” She rolled her hoof, showing the ridiculous loop that her husband insisted upon. “Oh, but I can't blame the doctor for his prices. Everyone has to make a living.” It was here that Sugar Belle paused and glanced down at her chicken sadly, as if dreading the moment to come.

“I'm sure things will work out.” Sunburst offered with an air of positivity, pulling coins from his coin purse and counting them over. “If you can wake up and see tomorrow, then you're already better off... eight, nine, and ten... All right! I'll have our usual dozen.”

Sugar Belle sighed so heavily that Sunburst thought she was deflating. “That'll be...twenty bits.”

Sunburst nodded once before actually hearing the amount, and he almost dropped all his coins in shock. “Twenty?!” he repeated so loudly that a few heads around began to swivel. “But...but that's twice as much as usual! I can't afford that!” He doubted most ponies could.

Sugar Belle's shoulders dropped, and she hugged her chicken protectively. “I'm so sorry, Sunburst, but...what with all of Queen Chrysalis new taxes, I have to raise my prices just to keep the farm running! She put a new tax on chicken feed, on our coops, on our seeds...At this rate, I might need to up it to thirty if she keeps adding more charges.”

“But that's...” 'Not fair', Sunburst wanted to say, but what would be the point? He looked down at the coins in his hoof, fighting off a wave of dread. How could things get worse in such a short amount of time? “Things didn't always use to be this way,” he said softly.

“No they weren't, I tell you what,” Sugar Belle agreed, easing her hold on her chicken. “Her father, now that was a righteous pony! He cared for his subjects, he listened, and this whole kingdom used to a beautiful place! And then along comes his daughter...” She glanced around for any sign of the captain, and not seeing a trace of her, ranted louder than before, with a few grumbles of agreement echoing off in the distance. “Here's what I don't get – how does such a good pony raise such a horrid brat? Didn't he teach Chrysalis anything? How could he have let his daughter take the crown before he kicked the bucket? Shoot, I think Sunset would've made a better queen than Chrysalis! It's like one day, everything's sunshine, and then,” she slap her hoof on the table, “nothing but storm clouds for the rest of our lives!”

Sunburst could do nothing but nod along. It really didn't make sense when it was said out loud.

Chrysalis father had been a loving pony, a wise pony, one who actually knew how a decent economy worked. Then there was the lovely queen, although Sunburst hadn't known her, since she had died before Sunburst was even born, due to....

Due to...

Huh. There was that funny feeling again, like a roadblock that wouldn't budge between his lobes.

He lifted his head. “Say, Sugar Belle, how did the Queen die?”

Sugar Belle blinked rapidly, surprised at the change in topic, and then more so when she couldn't give a proper answer. She scratched her head, trying to sort through a fog. “Well, hm. Hmmm. If I remember correctly...some kind of... I think it was...Oh, yes, there was something wrong with her body. She was a weak mare.”

“What was wrong with her?”

“She was just weak. That's all.” Sugar Belle seemed to be in a hurry to dismiss the subject, perhaps embarrassed that she wasn't entirely sure. Sunburst couldn't blame her – being unable to answer a question was often fraught with humiliation.

While the subject still lingered in his mind, Sunburst knew he couldn't spend all day sitting on it, and fished out what coins he could spare. “I can only afford six, in any case.” He began to slip the coins onto the table, and Sugar Belle popped the eggs into his bag.

“Oooh, dearie me,” an old, weary voice suddenly broke through, haggard and ghastly. “Are you taking them all?”

Both ponies turned to look at what appeared to be a very old mare, although this was mostly a guess because the stranger was covered in a dark black hood from head to hoof. The only hints of her appearance was a scraggly white tail that trailed endlessly from the hems of her cloak, and a skinny, gray furred hoof clutching a walking stick that had seen better days. Broken yellow nails clutched the decorated top of the stick that had once held an elaborate jewel but now was a broken mess of splinters. There was a hunch in her neck, and as she breathed, exhaustion was obvious in each snort of her nostrils. She wouldn't lift her head, so it was impossible to see her face.

Neither pony recognized her, which was an oddity in and of itself. The Kingdom wasn't large by any means, and almost everyone knew everyone else. Of course, meeting someone new wasn't impossible, but for reasons they couldn't pinpoint the two ponies automatically knew this was an outsider. Sugar Belle took to this stranger with distrust, not saying anything just yet, but Sunburst's consistent compassion shined.

“Oh no, not at all,” Sunburst replied, smiling kindly, always happy to make a new friend. “Just six!”

“But the price has gone up,” Sugar Belle reminded them both.

“Gone up, has it?” the mare asked, her head lowering even further. “This is a true tragedy... I only had enough for one, but if that's the case, I can't have any at all.” She presented her hoof, showing a singular dirty coin. “Ma'am, can you not spare even one egg for this poor soul? I can't even recall the last time I've eaten,” She lamented with a sad sigh, her hoof dropping.

“If I do, then I become the next poor soul,” Sugar Belle replied, even though there was a guilty tone in her voice. “Look, ma’am, I'm sorry that you have a sob story, but I have to make a choice between feeding my family and feeding strangers...”

“Yes, yes, I understand.” The old mare drew a deep breath, trying to turn back around. “This is a time to eat or be eaten...”

Sunburst looked down at the remaining coins in his purse, the ones he couldn't afford to needlessly give away, and then to the bag full of eggs. His hesitation only lasted two seconds more before he snatched the bag and quickly strode up to the stranger. “Here, you can have mine!”

Sugar Belle groaned Sunburst's name, not deeply surprised, and it was the only warning she could think to give. The old mare lifted her head, and while Sunburst still couldn't make out where her mouth or nose was, he thought he saw a hint of dazzling blue eyes. But when he blinked it was gone, and the old mare was speaking. “All of them? Are you sure?”

“Of course I am.” Sunburst smiled as he spoke, the same smile that endeared the kingdom and made hearts melt. “I already paid, and I don't need them. My sister Sunset will be getting us bread and milk, that'll be enough for us! You need them more than I do anyway. Here, please.”

Sunset would be upset, as would his empty stomach, but his heart would be full knowing that this mare wouldn't starve. He held out the bag, waiting.

Though he couldn't see her eyes, he felt them staring at him, gazing intently. A strange thing happened when she talked again. “You haven't changed at all.” Her voice sounded younger in that sentence, softer too, yet also agonized in ways that were beyond Sunburst's comprehension.

He tilted his head. “I'm sorry, have we met before?” He was quite sure he hadn't, but he'd hardly call his memory perfect.

The old mare's body flinched as if the words had drove a knife right into her chest. She cleared her throat, the age in her voice once more, and she took the basket. “Thank you,” she said, completely ignoring his question. “You are a very generous young man.”

“Too generous, if you ask me,” said Sugar Belle, even though no one had asked her.

“I try,” Sunburst replied, never one to fully accept a compliment. “Do you need any more help? The market can really busy this time of morning, I can show you around!” The idea was a little exciting, as even though the kingdom was dark and depressing, it was still his home and thus still a place he loved dearly. He would have been happy to introduce whoever this was to his sister and all his friends. “And if you ever need a little enchantment or potion, you can always come to me!” He pointed at himself, hoping to put a smile on the mares face even if he couldn't see it.

“No, this is where we will part,” the old mare said, and she reached out to take Sunburst's hoof.

Sugar Belle had half a mind to climb over the table and slap it off, but Sunburst didn't seemed to mind.

Her wrinkled flesh held Sunburst's hoof gently, an unexpected warmth extended from her hoof to his own. On sudden instinct Sunburst held it more firmly, and he looked down at their joined hooves, befuddled. “I will repay your kindness,” she said in that low, soft tone again. “I promise.”

She took her time pulling her hoof back, and then she walked away with the saddle bag and her stick, shuffling along with her head down, ignored by all the other villagers.

Once the old mare was far enough away, Sugar Belle huffed. “Sunset’s going to tan your flank for that, Sunburst.” She waited for a retort that didn't come, and when she looked at her friend, found Sunburst's cheek had a tear rolling down. “Sunburst!” She tossed her chicken onto the ground, where it rolled around until it dizzily landed on its rump. Sugar Belle was in front of Sunburst in seconds, grasping his hoof. “Oh, I knew it, I knew she was trouble, where did she hurt you?”

“Huh?” Sunburst blinked at Sugar Belle's over the top of the reaction. He didn't realize anything was odd until he felt a cold sensation on his cheek. How odd. “Oh, Sugar Belle, it's nothing! You worry too much.” Yet he welcomed the worry, as it was a clear sign of friendship, and hoped a hug would settle the problem. Sure, he was disappointed that he couldn't help the old mare any further, but it was no reason to cry. So why had his eyes disobeyed his mind?

Sunburst felt it, and so did Sugar Belle, and a great number of villagers felt it too, that sensation in their minds that something...that someone had...

…And then it was gone. The day was normal. Sunburst went home, hoping his sister had better luck.


Amazingly enough, Sunset's luck was not only better, it was actually spectacular.

After a loving encounter with Flash, she had found someone's dropped coin, finders’ keepers. The baker had made a miscalculation with the loaves, which meant Sunset got an extra one for her troubles. The milk was fresh, and it came with a jovial conversation about their mutual friends, that perhaps things weren't as bad as all that. To top it off, Mister Jones, who Sunset typically tended to argue with, actually needed help with his crops, which not only meant more money in Sunset's pocket but a boost to her ego as well. Not a single lie had been spoken.

Much like Sunburst was talented with magic, Sunset was a mage when it came to plants. She could make even the driest of plants grow, with little to no aid from her own magic. Plants didn't care about your social status or your place in the world. Her official job was working in the royal gardens, but more often than not she wound up doing odd jobs for all the various farmers. She was the one who could make apple trees produce their fruit, make flowers grow form the driest of soils and diagnose any plant related aliment with just a glance. Naturally this came with manual labor, cleaning and digging and clipping, but that also pleased her, since physical work made her feel like a stronger pony.

With her mood high in the clouds, she even began to whistle as she headed towards the looming castle after dropping off the milk and bread at home. What a swell day! Flash gave her a kiss, they'd have eggs, milk and bread to last them a while, ponies were happy, she made more income, there was absolutely nothing that could ruin – oh, she'd just doomed herself, didn't she?

“Enough with the noise, muddy shoes!”

Yep, Sunset should have known better than to think she'd have a good day. Sunset had made it to the royal barn and pushed open the door, but there had come that grating voice right behind her, a shadow towering over and demanding attention. Sunset wanted to launch a tirade, but Sunburst's words hovered around her, and she swallowed it down. “Sonata.”

“That's Captain Sonata Dusk to you!” Sonata was Captain of the Guard, the pony who gave out orders to all guardsmen that protected the castle. During the former King's reign, this protection extended to all the citizens, but Chrysalis had decreed her life was far more valuable and thus needed far more protection. More than anything, Sonata was a middle-pony between the two, and it might have explained her frequent bullying. Sunset was her favorite target. “You gotta learn some respect towards your superiors!”

Sunset visibly shook from the effort not to rise to the challenge. “Yes, ma’am,” she hissed through her teeth, placing her sack down in a corner. “I've got to get to work.”

Sonata frowned. It was no fun picking on someone when they refused to acknowledge it, and if Sonata couldn't make ponies feel they were less than her, she would feel lesser herself. “You better not start anything today, muddy shoes. One wrong word and I could tell the Queen to kick you out!”

Sunset glanced over, pondering if Sonata actually had that power, but she doubted it. “I'm not going to start a thing,” she replied as calmly as she could make it, picking up her gardening tools and walking outside, Sonata on her heels, she headed to a flower patch and started picking the weeds she could find. “I'm just here to work. Same as you.”

“Same as me?” This caused Sonata to laugh. “You're nothing like me! I've got a real job, with real power, and real authority! And what are you? A weed muncher!”

Don't get into any fights. Don't start lying again. Sunburst's voice rang in her ears. If she did either one, they'd get into trouble, and they didn't need trouble, so Sunset pulled harder. “There's nothing wrong with what I do. I like my work.”

“Of course you do, because it suits you!” Sonata sneered, apparently having nothing better to do with her time than antagonize Sunset. This was not hyperbole – as rotten as Chrysalis was, there hadn't been any attempts on her life or mass criminal conspiracies. It was as if once Chrysalis had taken the crown, everyone had effectively given up. Strangely enough this also included Sonata. “A low job for a low pony!”

Sunset sucked the inside of her cheek, but she could only hold back so much. “Can you answer me one question?” she asked without turning around.

“I can answer any question about anything!” Sonata boasted, sticking out her chest.

The gardener looked over her shoulder. “What did I ever do to you?”

Turns out Sonata couldn't answer any question about anything because she was completely thrown off. Her big eyes widened, and she scratched her fuzzy cheek. “Huh?”

“I mean it. What did I do?” Now Sunset did turn around, with a weed still in her mouth, dirt already beginning to cling to her fur. “When I first started working here, you didn't pick on me at all. We didn't talk much, but at least you weren't constantly trying to pull my tail! I could've even called you nice once. So, just tell me... what did I do?”

“What did you do?” Sonata repeated the question, as if accusing Sunset of forgetting – but Sonata didn't have the answer. Sunset wasn't wrong, and her own memories of those first days were as clear as glass. She was in better shape then, commanded respect, and on that day when Sunset was assigned to work at the gardens, she'd been told to show Sunset around, be cordial, and be nice.

The ponies of the castle should all be like one big happy family. Back then she had no reason to want to make Sunset miserable, or anyone miserable, because Sonata hadn't felt miserable. The decision to hire Sunset had come from...

…well, well it must have come from Chrysalis. Of course it did, who else would it have been?

The King had been older by then, and such little choices could be left up to his daughter. Chrysalis must have hired Sunset. Yet – yet when Sonata really tried to visualize the memory, of Sunset on day one, smiling brightly at the pony who hired her – it wasn't Chrysalis, but – but it must have been – a throbbing headache began to build up in Sonata's head. “What does it matter?!” Sonata suddenly yelled, almost knocking Sunset over with the force of her shout. “Get to work and stop bothering me with stupid questions!”

“I was trying to work, you keep interrupting me!” She spit out the weed. So much for not fighting. Sunset would have to apologize to her little brother later.

“I can interrupt you whenever I want, I've got the power!” Sonata stuck a hoof to her chest. “And you? You're nothing! You and your whole family are a bunch of low-life nobodies!”

Now Sonata had struck a nerve. Insulting Sunset was bad enough, but daring to imply anything bad about her family was enough to make Sunset see red. “My family is amazing, you stupid empty tin can!”

Sonata leaned in dangerously close. “They are not! You and your whole bunch are useless good-for nothings! There's nothing amazing about any of you!”

“Yes there is!” Sunset shouted back, although she could not think of anything absolutely amazing off the top of her head. From the corner of her eye, she saw a cart of straw being deliver to the kitchens.

“Sunburst can do really amazing things!”

“Oh yeah?” Sonata scoffed. “What amazing things can he do?”

“He can...he can...” Sunset looked at bales straw being unloaded, and came up with the absolute worst, silliest, outlandish lie she had ever told in her entire life. “He can turn straw into gold!”

Silence fell on the gardens, with even the wind had stopped blowing, as if in awe of how ridiculousness that lie sounded. Sonata stood up straight, her face pulling all sorts of confused expressions. “He can...what?”

The real problem with Sunset's lies weren't that she told them, but that once she'd said them, she refused to back down until evidence proved her false. “He can turn straw into gold,” Sunset repeated, weaving an elaborate tale in her head. “How else do you think we can survive under all these harsh conditions? Night after night, he turns straw in to gold with a flick of his horn. He's got a rare talent, only one in a million has it. You've seen the way he cast spells and makes potions, it's the same deal! That's how amazing he is.” Sunburst was going to have her tail for this if─he found out, and that was a pretty big if. Sunset knew what she was saying was pure nonsense and Sonata, though she wasn’t the brightest pony in the kingdom, she wouldn't actually believe her, thus she wouldn't ask for proof, thus nobody got hurt.

Indeed, Sonata seemed stupefied by the sheer leaps in logic Sunset was making. She opened her mouth, closed it, and then opened it again. “If that is true,” she said without sounding like she thought it was, “then you ought to be richer than the queen right now.”

“Maybe I am,” Sunset said, the gardening shovel feeling like an actual shovel she was digging her grave with.

Sonata inhaled deeply through her nostrils. You really couldn't insult someone who had clearly lost their marbles. Angered, she stormed out of the garden, slamming the door hard behind her. Sunset smirked, and twirled the gardening shovel around in victory. Okay, so she'd broke her word to Sunburst, but what was the harm? She began whistling again, and resumed her work, ignoring the disapproving looks of the flowers.

Every now and then she wondered about her unanswered question – about the Sonata that had once smiled without a trace of malice – but it was covered up in the dirt.


Sonata had additional duties that came with being the Captain, and that meant having her meals with the Queen. It wasn't exactly a rule, but Chrysalis had made it clear that skipping it would mean she could “find another captain with more time on their hooves.” Sonata didn't understand it the first couple of days, but the more time she spent in the castle, the more she understood. The first reason was that castle itself was creepy, and not a place you wanted to stay in alone.

After the King's death, several rooms had been locked up, with Chrysalis forbidding anyone to enter them without giving them a solid reason. It gave the feeling that the castle was haunted by unseen ghosts, empty hallways echoing loudly with each step. There had also been paintings, tapestries, all kinds of decorative and functional works thrown into a fire, also with Chrysalis's sole explanation being “because I said so”. So in addition to the spooky silence, the castle looked unfurnished, half-done, as if entire chunks of life were missing.

The second reason was far more pathetic.

“So,” Chrysalis started, propping her back legs on the table as she munch on a carrot. “Tell me, Captain, what loving praise have my ponies given me today?”

In contrast to Sonata's small frame, Chrysalis was lean and tall, never really fitting into any chairs without obvious discomfort. A unicorn like her father, her mane was dark green, her fur was black and her eyes were a murky green, with long pointy ears that only wanted to hear love and compliments. The table was covered in massive amounts of food that two ponies couldn't possibly finish, Sonata was taking her time as she slowly munched on an apple. Unlike Sunset, lies didn't come to her as easily as they required some level of creativity. “Well, um,” she started. “I might have heard your name out there once or twice.”

“Marvelous!” Chrysalis clapped her hooves together. “No doubt they're telling each other how much they adore their queen! Come on, don't be shy, I want every last word!” She then paused. “What’s that you got there?”

Sonata swallowed. “Gee, Chrysalis, it’s just…huh…a book I picked from the library, that’s all.”

Sunset's words had a ring that wouldn't leave, an image of when Sonata could understand more of the world around her.

Chrysalis stared, and then howled with laughter, standing up to slap Sonata on the back. “You!? Read!? Hey, we can't be what we're not, and you're a big dumb air head! And you always will be! So put that book away! Reading, that's rich...” Sonata looked down at her plate sadly, and reached for a lone lettuce leaf. “Now then, back to the important stuff – me! What did they say about me?”

Therein came the second reason – Chrysalis had no friends, and Sonata was the closest one she could order to be one. She was of the belief that being a ruler meant instant love, no matter what she did.

Sonata decided that she was just delaying the inevitable. “They were complaining about the chicken feed tax.” Sugar Belle hadn't looked clearly enough when she was ranting about Chrysalis's unfairness, unfortunately.

Chrysalis's jovial expression turned sour, and the carrot stick in her hoof snapped. “They dared to complain about me? Those ingrates! If they worked harder, they could be rich! What do they expect me to do, live like them? Like a commoner?” She spat every question out and Sonata knew well enough not to answer. “I'm the Queen! I'm supposed to have the riches! I give them inspiration so they can be more like me! They should grovel at my feet and apologize! Who was it? Who dared?!”

Sonata slurped green pea soup. “Aw, it was just some stupid farm maid and the gardener’s brother.”

“The gardener’s brother?” Chrysalis repeated, aghast that someone working for her would be related to someone so disrespectful – but then the gears in her head turned. “The gardener’s brother?” she said once more, now thoughtful and introspective. “I've seen that stallion come by to give her lunch...” And on other occasions – she thought – she wasn't clear on it, yet she knew she had seen him before. “He’s quite handsome, isn't he?”

“I guess.” Sonata shrugged. She preferred taller stallions, ones with more punch. “But man, you should've heard the gardener talk about him today! She said...” Remembering it now made her guffaw, her mane bouncing with the movement. “She said the pony can turn straw into gold! Can you believe it?” She laughed louder, pounding a hoof on the table.

But Chrysalis didn't laugh, walking to a nearby window and looking down at the filthy, grimy peasants that were lucky to have her as a ruler. They should've been happy to do whatever she wanted. She was the Queen, she inherited love. She inherited many things – including some dirty tricks she had locked away in her mind. This wasn't her father's kingdom, it was Chrysalis, all Chrysalis, and they needed to learn a lesson. Right on time, Sunburst was heading to the gardens to deliver lunch and reluctantly give the bad news about the missing eggs. He was indeed quite handsome.

And something about his good looks made her angry. Made her yearn. Made her want revenge.

Chrysalis smiled. “Stranger things have happened, Sonata.”

And stranger things would continue to happen.

Author's Note:

Maybe I should warn you all now, that most of the characters will be out of character, so if you don't feel comfortable with this portrayals I present you, you're more than welcome to drop out if you want, I wont blame you.
To those who stuck around: So, how was it? What do you think of this project so far? I hope that, at least, you enjoyed the ride.