• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 2,416 Views, 26 Comments

Fables From Equestria - Shingo

  • ...
1
 26
 2,416

Plans

“We are sorry,” Princess Luna said. “But what you are proposing is not financially feasible. We will not be able to approve your suggestion.” The stallion in front of the princess frowned. He bowed and packed his things. Luna turned to her the pony beside her.

“How many are left?” she asked. The pony’s eyes moved through a list of names.

“Just one your highness,” the pony said. “After this, Night Court will end, and you are free to do whatever you choose.”

“Excellent,” Luna turned her attention to the chamber doors. “Bring the last petitioner of the night in.” The doors opened and on the other side stood a pink earth pony mare. She had a poofy pink mane and tail. On her eyes were a pair of rectangular glasses. She was wearing a steel gray blazer with a white dress shirt underneath it. A serious expression was on her face as she approached the throne. A wide smile appeared on the night princess’ face.

“Pinkamenia Diane Pie,” she said. “How nice of you to visit us. It will have to wait though, we have one other pony to see before Court ends.”

“That would be me,” Pinkie said adjusting her glasses. “I’m your last appointment. But afterwards, if you want to play, we can.” Luna blinked. She turned to the pony beside her; the pony gave a nod of confirmation.

“Very well,” Luna said. “What business do you have with us?”

“It’s not just business I have with you,” Pinkie replied. She reached for some unknown spot and pulled a whiteboard into existence. “This is business I had with the Day Court as well. Your sister forwarded the issue to you, saying that it affects the night more than it affects the day.”

“We are curious, what exactly is it that you desire that affects both night and day?” Pinkie pulled a black marker from her blazer and began drawing on the whiteboard. When she was done, a crudely drawn picture of the sun, the moon, and a planet was on the board.

“The moon has a glow to it,” she began. “But that light is not its own. It borrows the light from the sun. What we on the planet see is a reflection of the light.” She tapped the picture.

“We are well aware of that, after all, we do control the moon.”

“Precisely,” Pinkie flipped the whiteboard over. She began drawing again. When she was finished, she was left with a spherical drawing with hundreds of facets on it. She pointed to the drawing. “This is known as a mirror ball. Like the moon, it borrows the light from another. The only difference is how it reflects the light. The moon has a single glow while a mirror ball reflects the light in hundreds of different directions. While the ball is moving, it seems like the light itself is moving as well.”

“Where are you going with this?” Pinkie turned the whiteboard back to the other side. She tapped the picture of the moon.

“I propose that we create mirrors that are each 1/1000th of the surface area of the moon. Then, we place all of the mirrors on the moon, and for one night, the moon will be a giant mirror ball, and every sapient creature will be able to enjoy a party.” Silence entered the room. Pinkie had an expectant smile on her face while Luna’s face held an expression of bewilderment. Her eyes narrowed.

“And pray tell,” she began. “Why would you want that?”

“There’s a very important pony whose birthday is coming up,” Pinkie answered. “I wanted to make their party extra special. And I wanted to make it showy, so that all of Equestria can join myself and her in celebration.” Luna flew towards Pinkie. She stopped in front of the pink pony with pure rage in her eyes.

“WHO?!” Luna said using the Royal Canterlot Voice. “WHO IS SO IMPORTANT THAT YOU WOULD DARE TO PROPOSE TO VIOLATE OUR CHARGE? WHO COULD BE SO IMPORTANT THAT YOU WOULD DARE TO HAVE OUR TREASURE MOLESTED FOR SUCH A FRIVOLOUS PURPOSE?!” Pinkie was pushed back by Luna’s voice. The eyes of the pony standing beside the throne widened in fear. Pinkie adjusted her hair back to its original position and pushed her glasses back up. The lunar princess was fuming with anger. A small smile appeared on Pinkie’s face.

“That would be you,” she said. Luna took a few steps away from the pink pony.

“Me?” Pinkie nodded.

“That’s right. Your birthday is coming up real soon. So I talked to your sister about a country wide party. She said so long as you and every settlement in Equestria agrees to it, I can throw this party. If you’re anything like your sister, you hate all the pomp and circumstance that happens in high society gatherings.” Luna nodded. “And I saw how much you were enjoying yourself at Cadance’s wedding reception. So I thought you would enjoy something like that, only with the whole country celebrating with you.” Luna looked at Pinkie with an unreadable expression on her face.

“Our birthday isn’t for another four months,” she said.

“I know that,” Pinkie said giggling. “I’m not a silly pony. But something this big takes time to arrange. I’ve been going all around Equestria for the past month and a half taking to mayors and magic users and musicians about it. I’ve told many of them about my plan, and they like it. It’s also so that they don’t freak out when the night is longer.”

“Longer?” Pinkie nodded.

“If all goes according to plan, this party will last twenty-four hours. Ponies freaked out when the night suddenly lasted longer during the Summer Sun Celebration, so I figured a word of warning would calm their fears.” Luna blinked. “If having the surface of the moon is unacceptable, then I can come up with an alternative. Something like having mirrors floating over its surface. That way, moon’s gravity will keep the mirrors in place, and the light will shine on the country. How does that sound?”

“That sounds completely insane,” Luna replied. A small frown appeared on Pinkie’s face and her ears fell flat on her head. “We like it.” Pinkie’s ears perked up.

“You mean…”

“Yes, we will approve of your plan. But something like this requires much planning.”

“Oh don’t worry about that. The plan is still in its initial stages. I still have to convince Celestia to inform the other nations of the plan. But I’ll get to that when I get to that. Do you still want to play?” Luna laughed.

“Yes, yes we do Pinkamenia,” she said. “Peppermint? Could you direct Pinkamenia here to my chambers?” The pony bowed and walked to the exit. Pinkie followed her. When the doors closed, uncontrollable laughter came from Luna. She rolled on the ground laughing for a few moments. When she got up, she looked at the whiteboard.

“This is going to be a fun birthday.”