• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 2,416 Views, 26 Comments

Fables From Equestria - Shingo

  • ...
1
 26
 2,416

The Noble Lie

In the city of Canterlot, the light of the twilight shined into the throne room. Day court had ended and the last visitor had just left. Princess Celestia stretched herself; she always became sore after court had ended. As she rose from her throne, the chamber doors opened. A purple unicorn mare entered the room.

“Twilight Sparkle,” Celestia said. “This is a pleasant surprise. I didn’t know you were in Canterlot.” Twilight shut the door. Her horn lit up and a purple pulse moved around the room.

“This is a surprise visit,” she said. “Spike and I were visiting my parents, and I thought I should stop by and say hello.” Celestia smiled at her student.

“Well that’s very sweet of you,” Celestia turned her attention to a window. “Do you think our visit can wait a little while? I have to lower the sun.” Twilight’s eyes hardened.

“Actually,” she said with a calm tone. “That’s what I wanted to talk to you about.”

“What do you mean?” Celestia asked. Twilight walked towards the princess.

“You see, I had a little epiphany a while back,” she explained. “While I was at Sweet Apple Acres helping my friend, I noticed the apples fall from the trees.” Twilight looked at her teacher, a fire in her eyes.

“You may think that it’s silly,” her voice had a sharp tone added to the calm. “It’s just apples falling, what’s special about it? It’s just a mundane sight. But that got me thinking, what makes the apples fall?”

“That would be gravity,” Celestia said. She looked out the window and saw the sun lowing itself under the horizon. “If this can wait a few moments, Twilight, I really must…”

“Exactly,” Twilight said. She turned to the window, watching the sun. “Gravity makes the apple fall. Gravity affects everything.” The sun fell lower.

“A few months ago, I upgraded my telescope. With it, I was able to identify a planet with a small moon revolving around it. Naturally, I was ecstatic, there was another planet that had the ability to sustain life, seeing as somepony, or something was moving the moon.” Celestia’s expression briefly became nervous. “I used my magic to amplify the sight on it to see the surface of the planet. I had hoped to find a new civilization. But I found nothing. The planet was unfit to sustain life. How can that be? If the moon was revolving around the planet, surely there must be something there to move it.”

“Perhaps there is somepony there,” Celestia said. “Perhaps your magic missed something.”

“Perhaps,” Twilight replied. “But I observed the planet for three weeks. The moon revolved around that little planet, doing the same dance that our moon has done with our planet since the dawn of time. I was wondering, what was it that caused it to do so? No one is leading the moon around it, so what is it that causes it to move? The answer…was gravity.” A small sliver of sunlight was over the horizon.

“Gravity is what caused the moon to revolve around the planet. If gravity causes the moon to rise and fall, then the same must be said of the sun. If the same is said of both heavenly bodies,” Twilight turned to Celestia. The sun had passed the horizon and the light in the room was replaced by darkness. Candles lit up, relighting the room. “Then it must mean that nopony is in control of them.”

“Twilight, that’s… that’s…”

“Ridiculous? Crazy? Completely and utterly insane?” Twilight let out a bitter laugh. “I thought so too. So I came here to test that theory. You didn’t use any magic now, and yet the sun passed the horizon. Tell me, how can that be?” Celestia backed away from the unicorn. Her eyes were frantically moving back and forth.

“Twilight, I-I… Luna!” she cried. “Luna must have helped me with tonight. She must have lowered the sun as well as raised the moon tonight.”

“September 17th, N.C. 1000,” Twilight recited. “Canterlot Times. Quote, ‘Princess Luna has had her responsibilities involving the moon returned to her. After 1000 years of isolation, the younger of the celestial sisters resumes her duties. ‘We are thankful to have our duties returned to us,’ Luna says. ‘After 1000 years of not using our powers, it will be good to use them again. We can imagine that it was difficult for our sister to carry our burden. It takes years just to be able to use magic opposite to your own.’ End quote.” Twilight glared at Celestia.

“In the past 1000 years, there have been no records of the moon not rising. There are no records of the delicate balance of the sky being broken. You’d think that something like that would happen, since it takes years just to be able to use magic opposite to your own.” Celestia looked down at her student. In her eyes were a fiery rage that burned as bright as a star. Beads of sweat started rolling from Celestia’s head.

“That means one of two things. One, the records were lost. But that’s impossible due to the ‘Historical Records’ law that was imposed on the country in 438 B.C. Or two, nopony actually controls the sun and moon. And based on what I just saw right now, I’d say that the latter is entirely plausible.”

“Guards!” Celestia shouted. “Guards! Come quickly!”

“They won’t be able to hear you,” Twilight said. “This room is temporarily sound proof. No sound can escape it, and no sound can enter.” Her horn shot out a bolt of magic at Celestia. Celestia moved out of the bolt’s way.

“You’ve been lying!” Twilight yelled. “And not just you, but the unicorns that came before you! Nopony controls the sun and moon!” Celestia sighed.

“You are correct my student,” she said. “The planet revolves around the sun, causing it to supposedly rise and fall over the horizon. And the moon revolves around the planet.” Twilight grit her teeth together.

“Why then,” she seethed. “Why maintain this lie?! Why manipulate everypony to believe something that is false?” Celestia’s horn lit up. Twilight’s eyes became heavy, and her body struggled to support its own weight.

“Oh… yooou,” Twilight slurred. “Coniiiving….biiiiittc.” she fell to the ground before she could finish her thought. Gentle snoring could be heard from her. Celestia walked to the unconscious body of her student. A small laugh left her mouth. Such a filthy mouth you have Twilight. A golden aura surrounded her horn. I’ll have to clean it up along with your memories.

*

A knock came from the door of the house of Sparkle. A baby dragon opened the door, on the other side stood Princess Celestia and Twilight.

“Princess Celestia,” Spike said bowing. “What are you doing with Twilight?”

“It’s rather late, and I thought she could use an escort home,” she replied. “Good night, my faithful student.”

“Good night Princess,” Twilight said. She entered her home and the sound of wings flapping reached their ears. When Celestia was out of sight, Spike closed the door.

“How did your talk with Celestia go?” he asked.

“It went great!” she said. “You were right, delivering that friendship report in person was a good idea.” Her assistant stared at her.

“Do you remember why you went to see her in the first place?” Twilight tapped her chin.

“Not really. I remember going to the palace for some reason. It was important, I know that, but that’s all I remember.” Spike placed his hands on Twilight’s cheeks. He turned her head and looked straight into her eyes. “Spike! What are you…”

“Follow my lead,” he said. “Recite my creed.” Twilight’s pupils dilated and Spike let go of her face. She stood there for a few moments. Her pupils returned to their normal size and she closed her eyes. A hoof placed itself on her head.

“Ow, my head,” she said. She opened her eyes and looked around. The fire that was once in her eyes reignited itself. “Oh that lying bitch!” Spike chuckled.

“So, you were right then?” Twilight nodded. “Alright. I got as many spells from the Canterlot Archives as I could. What’s the plan?”

“We’ll go back to the Archives to get more spells. It should be easy to pretend like nothing’s wrong. Afterwards, we’ll use the time spells to see why the lie was made. And then, we share the truth with everypony.