• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 2,416 Views, 26 Comments

Fables From Equestria - Shingo

  • ...
1
 26
 2,416

Rescue

Three unicorns sat at the bottom of a crystal cavern. One was mint green, one was blue, and one was white. All three of them were wearing torn dresses and had matching headbands. Between the three of them was a bouquet of flowers. The white one scowled.

“Why the buck did we jump after this thing?” she asked. “It’s just a stupid bouquet of flowers. I don’t need to catch it to know that my boyfriend is going to propose to me!” The blue pony looked to the white one.

“Wait, that’s what catching the bouquet means?” she asked. “I thought it was just a fun game to play at weddings.” The white pony’s scowl became deeper.

“But your earlier question,” the blue pony continued. She pointed upwards showing a large cliff with a ledge that they could not reach. “It’s not the one you should be asking. What you should be asking, is how is it that we survived that drop from up there.”

“Magic,” the white pony replied. “You don’t have to explain it.”

“But magic doesn’t make unicorns invulnerable to…”

“Magic. End of discussion.”

“That’s just stupid!”

“You’re stupid!” The two got into an argument and were loudly shouting. The mint green pony was gently talking to the ornamental flowers in her hooves. A smile formed on her face and she put the flowers back on her headband.

“Colgate,” she said interrupting the two. “And… I’m sorry, I’ve never been able to remember your name. Even when I lived in Canterlot.”

“Twinkle Shine,” the white pony said. The mint pony clopped her hooves together.

“Twinkle Shine, I knew it started with a T,” she continued. “Anyways, don’t you think your arguing is rather pointless given our situation?” The two ponies in front of her looked to the ground in shame.

“You’re right Lyra,” Colgate said. “Instead of arguing, we should be planning a way to get out of here.” Twinkle Shine nodded.

“First sensible idea I’ve heard all day,” she said. “Since we’re all unicorns, magic seems to be the answer. So, why don’t you two magick us out of here?” Both ponies stared at her in confusion.

“Twinkle,” Lyra began. “my magic focuses on acoustics. I work with sound, that’s why I’m a musician. I don’t know any powerful spells like teleportation.”

“Lyra and I assumed that you would be good at all kinds of magic,” Colgate said. “After all, you do have stars on your flank.”

“The stars don’t mean I’m good at magic,” Twinkle deadpanned. “I’m an astronomer. If you wanted a clear night sky, sure I could help you. If you wanted to magnify a telescope to see the stars, then I’m your mare. If you want to be able to hear the voice of space, I can allow you do to so.” Her companions just stared at her.

“Don’t look at me like that!” she yelled. “Astronomy is a great field to be in. But that’s not the issue at hoof. What about Colgate? You have an hourglass on your flank; obviously you know some time spells that can help us out.” Said pony looked to her exposed flank.

“You know, I’ve never really been sure why I have this here,” she said. “I’m a dentist, not some time mage.” Twinkle hit her face.

“Great, the three of us are stuck at the bottom of this mine with no hope of escape. With us is an astronomer, a dentist, and a musician. None of us have any skills that can help us. And Lyra can’t call anypony with her sound magic since no pony knows about this place. So what do we do?”

“We wait,” Lyra answered. “somepony is on the way.”

“But there’s no pony around. If no pony is around, your magic can’t contact any pony because no pony will hear it. How is somepony coming?” Colgate asked. Her question was answered by the sound of hooves echoing above them. Twinkle and Colgate looked up at the cliff. The silhouette of a pony with an ascot stood on the cliff. She jerked her head and a rope fell to them.

“Lyra!” the pony called. “Are you all right?” Lyra smiled.

“Perfectly fine Bon Bon,” she replied. Lyra turned to her companions. “One of you grab on, the two who aren’t attached to the rope will levitate the other up there.” Twinkle grabbed onto the rope. She was surrounded in two auras, one blue and one gold. She felt herself being lifted up from the ground. When she reached the top of the cliff, she was greeted by a cream coloured mare wearing a pale blue dress. On top of her head was an ascot with a blue feather sticking from the top of it. It was held in place by a purple gemmed broach.

“Are you hurt?” the mare asked. Twinkle shook her head.

“The only thing hurt is my pride,” she answered. “How is it that…”

“Twinkle?” Lyra’s voice echoed. “It’d be nice if you could help me with Colgate.” Twinkle walked to the edge of the cliff and lit up her horn. A few moments later, Colgate was at the top of the ledge. Both Colgate and Twinkle focused and lifted Lyra up. When she reached the ledge, she was smothered by a hug from the cream pony.

“Thank Faust you’re safe,” she said. Lyra patted the pony on the back.

“Told you heaven and earth couldn’t keep me from you,” Lyra broke the hug and looked to the two other ponies. “Twinkle, this is Bon Bon, my girlfriend. Bon Bon, this is Twinkle, the other pony who was supposed to be a bridesmaid along with Colgate and myself.” Bon Bon offered her hoof and Twinkle shook it.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Bon Bon greeted.

“Likewise. How exactly did you know where we were?” Bon Bon tapped the broach on her hat. Twinkle looked at it with a confused expression on her face. She turned to Lyra and found her tapping the flowers on her headdress. She inspected the flowers on Lyra’s head and found that one of them shared the same colour as Bon Bon’s gem. The gears in Twinkle’s mind turned. “Ah, sound magic traveling through gems. That works.”

“Here, I got you something…” Lyra tapped all around her dress. She looked down the cliff and sighed. The rope was tied around herself. “Colgate, Twinkle, make sure I don’t die.”

“What do you mean ‘make sure’…” Colgate’s question was interrupted by Lyra jumping off the cliff. Bon Bon screamed. Colgate and Twinkle’s horns lit up and grabbed onto the rope. With a little strain, they pulled Lyra back up. In her hooves was the bouquet. She presented it to Bon Bon.

“I know lilacs are your favourite,” she said. “so I knew you would like this.” Bon Bon stared at the bouquet. Her left hoof slapped Lyra.

“Ow, son of a…” her words stopped right in her mouth as Bon Bon’s lips were pressed to hers. Bon Bon broke the kiss and looked in to Lyra’s eyes.

“That was stupid, irresponsible, and you could have killed yourself,” she lectured. “But it was also one of the most romantic gestures you’ve shown me. Thank you.” Again, her lips were locked with Lyra’s. Colgate began walking away from the two lovers and Twinkle followed.

“I wouldn’t go up there if I were you,” Bon Bon warned, breaking the kiss.

“Why not?” Twinkle asked. Up above them the ceiling shook and the sound of explosions reached their ears.

“I think that’s a suitable answer,” Colgate said. “So what do we do now?” Bon Bon took off her hat and pulled a flask from it. Lyra chuckled.

“Not what I expected, but then again, this whole day has trashed my all of my expectations.”