• Published 5th Jul 2019
  • 327 Views, 3 Comments

Changeling Trust - Nightmare Rift



A Changeling has to earn back the trust of the friends that she had. Before she revealed she was a Changeling, she was pretending to be an Alicorn.

  • ...
 3
 327

Day 77: Working Legs and Happiness

Styx’s POV:
I wake up to Sombra still cuddling me, and see Pearl wheeling his way into the room. “Sombra, time to wake up. Pearl is ready, and I think he may have even polished your armor.” I say, looking at his armor to see that it is extra shiny. He takes a deep breath in and stretches. I look next to his armor to see that my bracers stand awaiting me. I pull myself to the edge of the bed and hover the bracers over to me. I slide them on my back legs and instantly regain my sense of confidence. Knowing that I can move as I once did, with zero limitations. I walk to Pearl and hug him yet again. I turn to see Sombra putting on his armor and realizing that it definitely needed polished. We all walk out of Pearl’s house to head to the castle. As we reach the castle I see two guards posted as usual. They see us and open the doors directing us towards the dining hall. I’m guessing that means that the rest of the group has already begun eating breakfast. We enter the dining hall to see all of the ponies gathered picking at their food, not really wanting to eat. I’m assuming until they hear of how I am getting along. “Well no need to be so somber my fellow friends.”

“Styx!” shouts the entire dining room, minus Flurry Heart who just bubbles out a sound. Starlight is the first to reach me and Sombra separates himself from my side. Starlight gasps in shock as she sees me standing on my own. I chuckle and smile at her, knowing she will be asking the most questions instead of Twilight as soon as we get to the train. The rest of the ponies, except for Shining and Flurry come over to take a look at Pearl’s handy work.

“You can all thank Pearl for the amazing job that he did. Finding a way to give me all of my mobility back into my legs, and being able to hide it so well, by matching my coloring so well.” They all start thanking Pearl and Cadence asks him to join us for breakfast. He agrees and we all sit down to a hearty meal. Pancakes of all varieties: blueberry, strawberry, chocolate chip, peanut butter, and lastly oat. Sombra immediately goes to the chocolate chip ones and I dive for the blueberry ones. I love my fruit more than chocolate, but I take a single chocolate one just because. Pearl strikes up a conversation with Applejack about how he built the bracers and invites her to come learn how he does it one day. She gladly accepts and I grin knowing that maybe one day Applejack can teach the craft to another pony. So that if wars continue to happen, all ponies can have the opportunity to continue to live life to the fullest. We finish eating and Cadence and Shining walk us to the train station, leaving Flurry to take a nap until they return. The whole ride I get bombarded with questions about how it feels to have full leg bracers on. Mostly from Starlight, as I predicted, with Twilight taking notes as Starlight asks them.

“How does it feel?”

“Like I have full use of my legs back, and since he lined them with a thin layer of soft fabric I don’t really notice them all that much.”

“How does he do all of that work without the use of his own back legs, not to mention without any magic?”

“He is quite adept at his craft and has learned to use his Earth Pony strength to his advantage. Which I think is why Applejack was so interested in it. Is that right Applejack?”

“Well, I suppose so. It is a mighty fine craft after all. Especially since it has helped so many ponies after wars. Although, I definitely want to go back and visit him again soon. I would love to learn, just to bring it to Ponyville, bein’ more central and all.”

Starlight continues her intense questioning, and Sombra seems content to let her onslaught continue even as we are getting close to Ponyville. As the train pulls into the station we all get up and begin walking home. Thankfully, Twilight’s castle is the opposite direction as my home from the train station. Sombra and I arrive home to see the girls snacking on some watermelon and salty crackers. They see us come in the front door and come tackle us to the ground. As we hug the girls tight Orla notices the bracers and asks, “Mom, what are those things on your back legs?”

“Those Orla are my bracers to help me walk, since I can’t use my back legs without help. I still am a normal pony, I just need help getting around. So, now that your father and I have returned so we go get some dessert?”

“Yay!” Both of the girls shout as they go running out the door. Sombra and I following close behind.

As we reach Sugarcube Corner I see that all of the other bearers have had the same idea, along with many other towns ponies. Bringing their families out for dessert as well. Mystel runs off to sit with the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Orla and Sombra go join the Cake family, and I go to sit in the corner. I don’t want to disturb the peace of the atmosphere, at least Sombra is a plain unicorn that can do dark magic. So most of the other ponies aren’t that scared of him. I stand in the corner and levitate myself a double chocolate chip cookie. Nopony pays me any mind and I plan to keep it that way. Thankfully, Twilight and the others notice me, but don’t draw attention to me. I am happy to just be standing and to have my friends around me.