• Published 5th Jul 2019
  • 323 Views, 3 Comments

Changeling Trust - Nightmare Rift



A Changeling has to earn back the trust of the friends that she had. Before she revealed she was a Changeling, she was pretending to be an Alicorn.

  • ...
 3
 323

Day 46 & 47: Thoughts

Styx’s POV:
I slam my bedroom door behind me, delving into my thoughts, wondering why I got so embarrassed in front of Sombra over Starswirl’s comment. I guess I do like Sombra in more than just a fatherly way now. We are the same age after all, but I can’t probe his mind for any sign of my feelings for him being returned. For if I try, it will only end in questions that I don’t want to answer.

I hear the door creak open and curl up even tighter, because I don’t want him to see me crying. I hear the metallic thuds as he takes off his armor and crown, along with the whooshing of his cloak. I feel him tenderly sit down on the bed and scoot closer towards me. Seeing that I am at the edge of my bed, I can’t get any further away from him. Sobs continue to rack my body as he sits next to me. I feel his hoof stroke my back, following the curve of my spine, flowing over the bump that holds my translucent insect wings, and stopping shortly after that. I feel him take a deep breath in before whispering, “What’s wrong?”

I don’t respond as I am still whimpering and crying. I continue bubbling out tears until I have finally composed myself enough to roll over and sit up directly next to him. I don’t look up, as not to meet his gaze. I slowly answer him back, “I guess Starswirl’s comment got to me a lot more than I initially thought. Especially because I am still trying to earn the trust of all my friends back. Then, looking to Twilight for support, but getting none, didn’t help me feel very confident about her trust in me.”

“I’m sorry you have to experience this. I know that you tried to open back up, but sometimes it is best to harden our hearts and move on. Sometimes the past that people know, continues to shroud the good we have done in the present. Should we-”

I lift my hoof up to his mouth to silence him. After he understands, I lean against him, resting my head under his, and relaxing in his warm embrace. He is stiff at first, but he soon relaxes and wraps his tail around my rear end. Although I am larger than normal ponies, he is even larger than me, so normal sized ponies look like they could be fillies next to him. Bulkier than Celestia, but about that height. Settling into his embrace, I am content to just breathe and fall asleep.

I wake up to realize I am laying fully down next to Sombra. I tense up as he wraps a leg over me, pulling me close like a filly would a teddy bear. I hear him mumble a few words, but I can’t quite make them out. I don’t want to wake him, so I lay in his embrace, slowly relaxing again, and he continues his incoherent mumbling. “Styx, would you be my queen and most importantly my wife for the rest of time?”

I freeze. I look at Sombra’s eyes, still closed, so he is dreaming about making me his wife!? Oh goodness, I can’t let him think that I heard that. I quickly lay my head back down and pretend to be sleeping. I hear him take a deep breath in and gently shake me, “You awake my precious river?”

“I am now. Should we go downstairs and I can make you your first breakfast in a 1000 years?”

“I would like that. Although I guess that means I have to let you go?”

“Yes it does. Now if you want food anytime soon you should let me go.”

He unwraps his leg from around me. I quickly jump out of bed and scramble down the stairs, almost tripping down them. I hear him chuckle at my ungraceful descent down the stairs. I enter the kitchen, grateful to be out of that awkward situation, I whip up some pancake batter and add chocolate chips, since chocolate is one of his favorite things. I know that Mystel and Orla beat us up and already left for school. After school they go to Sweet Apple Acres to help Granny Smith cook. I must strain to hear Sombra come wandering down the stairs, since with no armor on he is quite silent. He enters the kitchen for just a second before there is a knock on the front door. He wanders over to the door, which I can see from the kitchen, he opens it and in walks, Starlight? Who isn’t at all phased by the fact that Sombra opened the door. I quickly wash my hooves, dry them, and meet Starlight in the living room. “Starlight, what’s wrong?”

“Everything!” She yells, while starting to cry. I motion for Sombra to go eat, and sit down on the couch next to Starlight. “Why did Twilight -sniff- have to bring Starswirl back!?”

“She thought it would do Equestria good. Although, she may just be tearing her own friendships apart.”

“What -sniff- is that supposed to mean?”

“It means that by bringing him back, she may be losing the trust and friendship of two ponies that she helped reform.”

“When did you -sniff- become so wise?”

“Last night apparently. Last night Sombra told me that it might be time to harden my heart and move on. Some can only see the bad we’ve done, they don’t care to look at what we are doing now.”

“Thank you Styx. You know, you are a really amazing pony, Changeling or not. I truly wonder if Twilight forgave me for what I did.”

“Starlight, what you did may have been extreme, but that doesn’t mean you didn’t learn. Look how far you have come from where you began. That is the true measure of character in a pony in my opinion.”

“Do you mind if I have breakfast here? I didn’t eat at the castle as Starswirl was there.”

“Of course not Starlight. I just hope you don’t mind Sombra.”

“Oh, right, him. I don’t mind, after listening in on the presentation you gave at the school house; I am not surprised at what was wrong about Sombra. He actually seems really nice and sweet.”

“Shall we?” We walk into the kitchen to find Sombra picking at his food. “What’s wrong Sombra?”

“Oh, nothing, just thinking about my dream last night and about what today might bring.”

“Sombra, whatever today brings we will all get through it. However in order to face the day, we must all eat and keep our strength up.” I whip up some fresh pancakes for Sombra, Starlight, and myself. I decided that I should eat real food as positive emotion is in short supply in my house right now. No more words are spoken for quite some time as we don’t need to ask each other to pass anything, as we are all capable of magic. As we all finish up, I clear the dishes, and we all make our way to the living room. Starlight takes the chair and Sombra and I take the couch. “So, we should probably head over to Twilight’s castle shouldn’t we?”

Starlight stares for a second before responding, “Yes, we probably should. As much as the three of us aren’t welcome by Starswirl.”

“Well, at least we have magic strong enough to combat Starswirl.”

“Yes. Hey Styx, do you mind launching the same bolt you launched at Starswirl at me to see how long it takes me to get it to fizzle out?”

“If you are sure you can handle it.” I don’t question it, as I assume that Twilight had difficulty fizzling out my spell, hence Starlight asking to try it.

“I’m sure.” I let loose a bolt of magic, Starlight catches it and has it fizzle out within ten seconds. “That took Twilight at least three times as long. I can’t believe I did it. Alright, let’s get to Twilight’s castle.”