• Published 5th Jul 2019
  • 333 Views, 3 Comments

Changeling Trust - Nightmare Rift



A Changeling has to earn back the trust of the friends that she had. Before she revealed she was a Changeling, she was pretending to be an Alicorn.

  • ...
 3
 333

Day 76: Forbidden Help

Styx's POV:
As the train approaches the station for the Crystal Empire I haul myself onto Sombra's back letting all of me, minus my head, hang limp. Twilight and the group run ahead to the castle to fetch Cadence and Shining Armor. "Sombra?"

"Hmm?"

"What would happen if Cadence and Twilight can't fix me?"

"We would continue life as normally as possible. I would however have to take care of chopping the wood. Although, I think that old Pearl could probably make you a wheelchair of some kind to give you mobility again. At least so you could go to the market, cook, and go places with the girls."

"Do you think for Hearth's Warming that we should officially adopt the girls?"

"I suppose it would be good to officially have them as our daughters. However, right now, we need to worry about getting you better." I look forward to see Cadence and Shining Armor racing towards us, with the bearers trailing behind. We head over to a patch of grass and Sombra lowers me down.

"What happened Styx?"

"When Starswirl had me imprisoned I starved. After a certain time period my body realizes that and I become paralyzed."

"What are Twilight and I supposed to do?"

"I don't know! I hoped that you guys would know. Had Celestia said anything to either of you?"

"Yes."

"Twilight? You know something I don't?" I am shocked that she didn't say anything on the ride here.

"Yes, she told me how her and Luna helped your adoptive mother, but told me I wasn't allowed to help you. Since she doesn't trust you. Starswirl told her that you would become paralyzed. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner."

"Twilight, it's okay. I'm glad you told me. However, I don't want you to feel pressured into helping me just because I am your friend. If you don't want to go against Celestia I understand."

"No! I will help you. You are my friend. For once I can say that Celestia is wrong to trust Starswirl. I think that Celestia has too much pride in her own judgement and too much belief in Starswirl. However, I did ask Cadence to ask another pony here to help. Luna."

What!? Well, alas I am doomed. Sure enough, out from behind the nearest building comes Luna. She looks angry, but not towards me. "Princess Luna, why are you here?"

"We are here to aid Princess Cadence and Twilight in helping you. Although it may not permanently fix you as us and Celestia did for your adoptive mother. It may work but not fully, meaning you might experience weakness or temporary paralysis occasionally."

"That's fine, as long as I get my legs back."

"Princess Cadence, Twilight, I want you each to conjure a healing spell. Make it one from the happiest memory you have."

They both light their horns and summon a healing spell. Luna instructs them to touch horns and point their combined beam at me. As the green light comes flooding over me I close my eyes. Submitting to it, and hoping it does its job. I feel the beam die and open my eyes. Cadence and Twilight have collapsed from exhaustion and Luna has disappeared. I wiggle my way up to standing, only to find myself back on the ground. I try again, hoping to get them to work. I collapse again and admit defeat.

"Try again, one more time, I'll help you." Sombra says, looking at me with tears brimming his eyes.

I would rather not see him cry so I try again, leaning on him for support. I'm standing, wiggly, but standing. I try to take a few steps forward, I succeed, with the support of Sombra. I lean off of him and try to take a few more steps. Thunk! I'm on the ground again. I lie on the ground and turn my head to stare at my back legs. I get them to twitch as if they were moving, but I must admit to needing to get help to get around. "I suppose this means it is time to go see Pearl."

"Pearl? The pony in a wheelchair?" Cadence asks, sounding shocked.

"Yes, Pearl helped many of my soldiers after they were injured in the war. We are now assuming that he can help Styx find something to help her walk. However, I do commend you for your effort, unfortunately no amount of your magic could ever compete with Celestia's and Luna's. You helped at least a little bit, however she will still need something to help her. You should go rest, all of you. Styx and I will go to Pearl and meet you guys at the castle in the morning for breakfast."

"Alright, be careful. Styx, I'm sorry for not being more help. Sombra, I need your guidance, as a ruler. What did you do when you lost a soldier?"

"I gave them a proper burial, but also thanked and comforted their families. Each soldier was unique and brave. Go rest now Cadence."

At that, all but Twilight turn to head back to the castle. Curious about how she is taking this experience I ask, "Twilight, what are you thinking?"

She comes flying at me, hugging me full force as she says, "I'm so sorry Styx. I'm sorry. I wish I could have done more for you. Please let me know if you ever need anything from Canterlot or anywhere else in Equestria. I will go and fetch it for you."

I detach Twilight, and lift her head to meet my gaze. "You did the best you could. I couldn't have asked for more. This isn't your fault, it's Starswirl's. Don't worry too much about me, Pearl is excellent at his job. I'll see you in the morning for breakfast okay?"

"Okay. I'll see you in the morning then."

Twilight begins her wander back to the castle as Sombra helps me up. We begin the slow walk to the far Eastern section of the Empire. We arrive at a large teal green crystal barn, also known as Pearl's home. Sombra knocks on the door and it opens immediately.

"King Sombra." He says bowing. He soon rises and continues, "Styx my dear girl what happened to you?"

"Starswirl the Bearded happened. He starved me, and now I need your help."

"Of course, come sit down." I hobble over to the chair and unceremoniously plop myself in it.
"We just need something to hold your back end up essentially. Well, I will need to get new measurements, as you have grown up much since I last saw you."

That earns a small chuckle from Sombra and Pearl turns to look at him in shock. Sombra notices this and asks, "What?"

"Nothing, just shocked since I haven't heard you chuckle or laugh ever in my time knowing you."

"Well, I suppose you have Styx to thank for lightening me up. Along with our two adopted daughters."

"Well, I'll be, my dear King Sombra having daughters. Well, you done turned him soft now haven't you Styx?"

"I suppose I have. Although a dark king still lies in there somewhere."

Pearl chuckles, while Sombra gives me a teasing glare. "So it seems that you can use the legs but need support in order to do so.” So, Sombra lifts me in his magic on top of a table so I can lay on my side while Pearl measures. Pearl wheels himself over to the table and pulls out a tape measure. He writes the measurements on a paper and then takes the paper over to his metal work station. Sombra comes and sits in the chair while I continue to lay on the table.

"Would you rather sit with me?"

"Kind of. This table isn't actually all that comfortable, as much as I loved to lay on it when I was younger. We can leave Pearl to work until I need to try something on.” As I finish, Sombra floats me up and into his lap. He positions my back legs in between his and he leaves me to maneuver my top half to be comfortable. I decide to hug onto his left front leg and just cuddle with him. I feel him kiss my right ear and then he wraps his other front leg around me, just to make sure I don’t fall down. We sit like this for what seems an eternity, with Pearl banging on metal in the background.

“Styx, I am ready for you to try this out. I think this will give you much if not hopefully all of your mobility back.”

I open my eyes to see that Pearl has constructed what appears to be full back leg bracers. They are currently silver but I am assuming that they can be painted to match my color. Sombra lifts me off of him and sets me into the bracers. As he lets go of me, I fully sink into them and feel as if I could walk normally. Pearl looks at me expectantly, I nod for him to release me off of the stand. It is a small drop to the floor but I manage to stay on my hooves. Sombra goes to stand next to Pearl and they both give me an encouraging wave to get me to try to walk to them. I hesitantly take a step forward, expecting to fall. I don’t, I take a few more and make my way over to both of them. I start crying and hug Pearl tightly, not wanting to let go. “Thank you Pearl, this means so much to me.”

“My dear, it is my honor to help somepony like you. Especially when it means so much to you and my King. You go and sleep in the guest bedroom while I get this painted to match you. I’ll wake you two early in the morning so you two can make it to breakfast I am assuming?”

“Yes, we are having breakfast in the castle, and I would love if you would join us Pearl.”

“Alright, I will, just to spend time with you two. Now shoo, go rest you two!”

Sombra lifts me in his magic and he shuffles us off to the bedroom. He lays me down, takes off his armor, and then joins me. I drift off to sleep while being cuddled in close to him.