• Published 30th Oct 2018
  • 566 Views, 35 Comments

Kindred Spirits - CartoonNerd12



Four guys from other worlds are taken to a dark wizard where they must work together to escape.

  • ...
6
 35
 566

A Swampy Getaway

Marinette explained to the girls as they were walking in the forest the next morning, "Adrien Agreste is the one I love even if I do like Chat to a degree and there's also Luka another boy I like but Adrien will always hold my heart so why is the forest showing my attraction to Chat instead of Adrien?"

Judy expressed, "Cecilia did say this place shows our most forbidden desires, so obviously because of your love for Adrien you feel compelled to hide your feelings to your partner." she blushed while thinking of how she had to hide her true feelings toward Nick ever since their first case together.

Becky said, "She's right, I mean I may or may not feel something toward Tobey but I know that he has a lot to learn before I can consider getting closer to him than what we are now. As Becky he's my friend but as Word Girl he's still my enemy in a way."

Fluttershy sadly sighed, "I know how that is… Discord has done a lot of terrible things like trying to conquer Equestria for his own use even when I was tasked to help reform him he still misbehaved to an extent and it took me to tell him that I wasn't his friend even after I said he was that he finally got the idea and started to change for the better but even then he's not completely good but he is far from when he started out. We've done so much since then and well… I feel as though I could…" she turned her head in embarrassment.

Marinette shook her head, "Let's just focus on the task at hand and put aside these personal feelings so that we don't lose to the wizard."

"Agreed." they all said and kept going.


The boys had left bright and early after eating a quick meal but soon found themselves in a foreboding and smelly part of the woods.

Tobey covered his nose and mumbled out, "What is that awful odor?!"

Adrien pointed in a direction, "I think it's coming from there."

They went toward the smell to find a giant bubbling swamp full of gas before them.

Nick nearly gagged and had to cover his sensitive nose with both a cloth and his paws while Discord conjured up a nose pin.

Adrien and Plagg however weren't bothered by the smell that much due to the stinky camembert cheese they were always around all day.

Discord said in a nasal voice, "Well this is certainly a problem. If I had my teleporting powers I could easily get us to the other side."

Adrien mentioned, "Except if you had your teleporting powers we would already be home now."

The draconequus waved him off, "Details, details."

The teen stated, "Well I guess there's only one thing to do… Plagg, claws out!" and the boy quickly transformed back into Chat Noir and used his baton to lengthen it and measured how far the swamp was. Then he asked, "Discord, think you can create a rope bridge or something?"

The draconequus' eyes lit up, "Ah yes!" he snapped his fingers and a rope bridge appeared exactly.

"Nice!" Nick exclaimed and climbed onto it.

Tobey was hesitant at first and lightly tapped the bridge to make sure it was stable, when he was convinced he followed after the fox. Chat went next then Discord.

The swamp was huge and seemed to go on for miles while Tobey, Nick, and Discord still had their noses covered.

Suddenly there was the sound of screeching and howling and the group halted in their tracks while looking for the source of the noise until a voice said.

"Well look what we got here, a couple of smart-alecks that think they can just pass through here without strife."

Another voice said, "How interesting, of course the only reason they've been able to get this far is because one of them has magic."

Discord spoke casually, "A fair assessment who or whatever you are, since I like to test others of their own abilities without needing extra help, however in this case, we are not of this world and only wish to return to our own worlds."

Nick added, "So we're doing whatever it takes."

There was a pause until suddenly two colorful birds with flashy plumage flew out of the trees and faced them, then one of them stated, "Shall we put that to the test then?" shocking Chat and Tobey making Discord go, "Really?"

The other bird continued, "No one has managed to escape the swamp without proving their worth. As such we must make sure you are worthy."

Tobey demanded, "Why?! Why would it matter?! Discord just told you that we don't belong here!"

The birds flew around them as they took turns explaining.

"It does not matter if you are not of this world..."

"The swamp knows when a heart must be tested in order to achieve your greatest challenge…"

"Many have come before you, but only some have prevailed…"

Discord used his hands in annoyance, "Yeah, yeah, we know how this goes, 'have to test the spirit to prove they can accomplish what needs to be done'. Don't you think I already do that sort of thing back home?! I know all about your little game!"

"Then tell us, what it is we'll test you on."

"I don't know, maybe like our greatest fears or something like that…"

The second bird replied, "You are only half right, but regular fears can be overcome but insecurities cannot…"

All four of them looked terrified with Chat uttering, "Uh-oh…"

Nick gulped, "I don't like where this is going…"

The swamp water then rose around them showing images to each of the boys in their past mainly showing the times that they were hurt the most and how it involved the girls closest to their hearts.

Tobey and Chat saw the constant rejection they had in their lives between Gabriel Agreste ignoring Adrien's requests of spending more time with him and Ladybug having to refuse him from every turn. While Tobey was rejected by his peers and various adults in Fair City since they were distrustful toward him and Word Girl turning him down and the time Miss Power influenced her making her say such mean things to him, with the words echoing in his head.

Both of them were overwhelmed and had to cover their ears and kneel down hoping it would be over soon.

Meanwhile Nick and Discord were having their own problems with Nick seeing the disgusted looks other species gave him when he was starting out as a con-artist but he was trying to keep away from the image that plagued him since childhood, that horrible muzzling. But what was worst was the speech that Judy made during the press conference and how hurt and betrayed he felt from that but really he regretted ever leaving Judy there, he could still remember her calling out to him and thanks to the swamp water he heard it again. He too needed to cover his ears and kneel.

Discord was being tormented for all his past mistakes but the ones that hit him to the core were the images of Fluttershy crying from his betrayal. He heard the awful conversation between them.

"Why are you doing this?! I thought we were friends!"

"Oh, we were. But Tirek offered me so much more than just tea parties. Surely you saw this coming?"

She sobbed, "I didn't! I really didn't!"

Discord was on the verge of tears himself and shouted, "I'm sorry, Fluttershy! I'm sorry! I never wanted to hurt you like that! I had no idea you cared that much then! But…" a sudden clarity overtook him, "You forgave me… You… forgave me…" he kept repeating this with a growing vigor until he said, "You forgave me, the sweet angel that you are, you forgave this stupid uncaring being…" he clenched his fists and made a determined look before swiping at the water, "You can't drag me down any further then what I have already felt. I still regret that moment but I've moved past it and it's all because of her…"

He turned to see his companions struggling and muttered; "If there's one thing those six ponies have taught me…" he went to Nick and touched his shoulders, "Don't forget what you are now, and how forgiveness saved your friendship with her…"

Nick's eyes widen and his head slowly rose as he recalled when Judy found him under the bridge and told him the truth about the Night Howlers and how upset she was when apologizing to him. It was a sign she had truly cared for him and how much she valued his friendship and it has been like that ever since. Barring his teeth he swiped at the water.

He faced Discord with a smile and the two mutually nodded before turning to the human boys and saw the darkness in their lives.

Nick went to Chat Noir while Discord went to Tobey.

The fox told the transformed cat, "It is upsetting to know your father turns you down while your Ladybug does the same but you need to remember how each brings happiness in your life."

Discord was telling Tobey, "It's not easy to be trusted in a world that only sees you as a villain when you know you could be so much more than that… It'll take time but it can be done… And your Word Girl likes it when you do good so there's still hope…"

Both boys lifted their heads in surprise knowing that their strange friends spoke the truth. They swiped at the water then Chat shouted, "Cataclysm!" touching the water for it to turn gray and it subside, going back into the swamp.

The birds came back as the first one said, "Well done, you were able to overcome your doubts…"

"However, the swamp's power will still test you after you leave this place."

Tobey whined, "Oh come on!"

Nick stated, "Take it with a grain of salt, Tobes, I thought it seem too easy for us to pass so quickly."

Discord nodded, "So true."

Chat asked the birds, "Will you at least tell us if there is a way to return to our homes?"

The second bird motioned, "You must seek out the fairy Cecilia. She will help you get back to where you belong."

The other bird said, "Once you leave the swamp you will come across a village, there you will find the connection of how to seek her."

Chat Noir beamed, "Thank you!"

Tobey grumbled, "Well at least they were helpful with something…"

The birds then flew away as the boys continued through the swamp on the bridge.


Nighttime had arrived once again with the girls stopping to rest and eat. They were in their comfortable tent hoping that their mission will be a success as they get closer to their destination. Soon it was time for bed and the girls readied themselves for whatever dream will come next.