• Published 30th Oct 2018
  • 566 Views, 35 Comments

Kindred Spirits - CartoonNerd12



Four guys from other worlds are taken to a dark wizard where they must work together to escape.

  • ...
6
 35
 566

True Colors

The boys were shocked out of their sleep after having a strange dream regarding them and the girls and found it hard to go back to sleep because of it.

When morning came they had met for breakfast but were quiet throughout the whole meal. Damon noticed and commented.

"I take it you all had a restless night? If so, I apologize for the lack of comfort you received."

Discord and Nick resisted the urge to roll their eyes while Adrien said, "I can't speak for the others but for me it wasn't because of the accommodations that I didn't get a good night's sleep."

Tobey agreed, "I must concur."

Discord stated, "Same goes for me."

Nick added, "And me."

They were surprised to say the least at this revelation and gave each other weird looks.

Adrien asked, "Did you all have a strange dream too?"

Nick questioned, "One where you got upset over a rose getting picked and a father was trying to reason with you and then later his daughter would come and you learned she took his place?"

All three gawked and shouted, "Yes!"

Damon's brow furrowed in concern as he tried to calmly sip from his cup all the while muttering, "How very odd…"

Adrien mentioned, "But what's even stranger is that I dreamt of Marinette instead of Ladybug."

Tobey gapped, "Are you serious?! I dreamt of Becky instead of Word Girl!"

Discord smugly replied, "How very interesting… I wonder why…?" he exchanged a wink with Nick.

Tobey huffed, "Don't play coy with us! We know what you're thinking!"

"Right and Marinette is just a friend to me just like Becky is just a friend to Tobey."

"Exactly! Besides dreams mean nothing in real life."

Nick challenged, "Oh really, then explain how all of us got the same dream."

Damon bluntly said, "I can. In this world dreams tend to stray from the dreamer and intermingle with others in the sleep state. You may have had the same dream but it was still different for each of you, yes?"

The four were stunned by this explanation and reluctantly agreed.

"There you have it. Naturally with you being strangers to this world it's an odd sensation to get used to."

Adrien asked, "Does that mean you had the same dream as us?"

"Oh no, I wouldn't because I take a potion every night to prevent such a thing from happening." More or less, he added in his head. "I would have offered you some too but as it is my stock is low and it takes a lot of ingredients and time to make more. Given that you won't be here that long anyway there is no need to give you the potion."

Adrien stated, "That's reasonable."

Discord uttered under his breath, "Yes, a little too reasonable…"

Damon then excused himself and went out.

Eventually the boys left the dining hall and ended up in the drawing room for their leisure. Discord and Tobey played a game of chess while Nick was relaxing on a sofa and Adrien was reading a book with Plagg sleeping on his shoulder.

Discord was eying the boy genius's moves, feeling impressed and ended up rubbing his chin, "Well, well, it's seems you put me in a corner."

Tobey gave a smug look.

"However, two can play at this." Discord smirked.

Tobey's face faltered as the chaotic spirit snapped his fingers and his chess pieces came to life knocking Tobey's chess pieces off the board.

Infuriated, Tobey stood up and took out his robot and remote, placing the robot in front of the chessmen and pushed the button on his remote while commanding, "Robot, attack!"

The robot engaged in battle with the magical chess pieces making Adrien and Nick look over with intrigue.

Discord said in amusement, "This is the contraption you use to be a villain? How adorable."

"You insult me, sir! I'll have you know that I have dozens of robots back home a hundred times this size!"

He snarked, "Sorry, did you say a hundred robots this size…?"

"No!" he pushed another button and this time the robot went on a frenzy; knocking the board away and went around the room knocking other objects in it's path.

Nick and Adrien had to keep away from the mechanism as the teen shouted, "Tobey stop this!"

"Why?! Why should I?! He's the one that cheated out of my right to win!" glaring at Discord.

"I was just joking around! Yeesh, you don't have to throw a giant fit over it!"

Nick questioned over the hullabaloo, "Is this how you're a villain in your world? By you acting up and take everything for granted?!"

Tobey countered, "And if it was?!"

Adrien went to the boy and looked straight into his eyes while sternly replying, "Didn't you say that you were trying to change your ways for the girl you cared about most?"

Tobey stared back and suddenly felt guilt recalling the exchange he had with Word Girl before his sudden abduction, then he pressed the button making the robot stop in its tracks. He fell to his knees and covered his eyes.

Adrien kneeled down and wrapped his arms around him, pulling him into a hug.

Tobey muttered behind his hands, "I was so close… so close to stop being…" he dropped his arms and looked down at the floor, "Am I to forever be a villain? To get upset every time something provokes me? I was so sure I was doing better… for her…"

Nick came in front of him, "Maybe that's your problem maybe you shouldn't have to change just for her, but rather for yourself." and pointed to his heart. "I should know. As much as I changed my attitude toward Judy, I still had to change for myself, to regain the idealism I lost long ago."

Discord mentioned, "Exactly, besides do you think I changed myself right away? Celestia no, I'm still getting used to being reformed to this day. As much as I don't want to admit it but as I don't have to worry about any of you sharing, I will say this. There are times that I will relapse and cause trouble again but really that can't be helped I am the Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony after all it's just in my nature, literally."

Tobey slowly stood up with Adrien letting go while asking, "What more can I do?"

"I'm not sure." replied the teen, "But you acknowledging your faults is the first step to changing your ways for the better."

Nick found a broom and handed it to Tobey, "Maybe you can start by cleaning up this mess your robot made."

The boy hesitated at first but then gave in and used the broom to sweep up the damage. The others left him to his work.

When Tobey had finished cleaning up and reorganized the things that were dropped he was about to leave when Damon appeared to him.

"I saw everything."

Tobey admitted with shame, "I… I am sorry… I didn't mean to lose control like that and I hope that not much damage was caused."

Damon made a smirk and said in a honeyed tone, "Oh, I'm not angry at that, if anything I'm upset by how the others treated you."

Tobey's brow raised in confusion and voiced, "Come again?"

"It just seems unfair to think that you need to change a certain part of yourself just to please others."

"Well, um, they have a good reason since I'm not exactly a model citizen back home."

"Is anyone? I mean we all have our flaws but no one should be perfect because of them."

Tobey blinked in bewilderment.

Damon continued, "What if I offered you a way that you can still be yourself and can get the girl of your dreams as well?"

The boy genius gawked and uttered, "You can do that?"

"Yes." Damon's smile almost turned malicious, and took out a pink potion bottle, "This potion can enable the drinker to fall in love with the first person they see, so you merely have to give this to your Word Girl and before you know it, she'll be yours."

Tobey was stunned by the offer and eyed the bottle. No doubt this was a love potion thanks to the knowledge he received in fictional fantasy books like the Princess Triana series and knew of the consequences of using it but more than that he was appalled by the suggestion of using said potion on Word Girl. Maybe if he was ten again he would have taken the offer in a heartbeat but he had learn since then he couldn't force her to love him recalling those moments with his more darker ploys particularly that time he trapped her in a robot he made with Becky's little brother and force her to make tributes of them together around the world and even on the moon! And even before that, he forced her to recite poetry of how great he was at the city's talent show. Making him realize.

Wow. Was I really that horrible?

He looked at the potion again and frowned and said to Damon, "You know if you had asked me about two years ago, I wouldn't have hesitated but as it is…" he slapped the bottle away and glared, "Do you think I could ever force such a thing onto her? Yes, I don't have her but that's a good thing, because she deserves better than me. Now what I want to know is, why would you make such an offer in the first place?"

Damon's face slowly turned into a scowl and outright confessed, "It was a test to see if you were willing to take whatever it took to get what you want. I guess I was wrong."

Tobey rebuffed, "What I want is feel good about myself and show everyone that I can be loved without fear or trickery."

Suddenly there was slow clapping and they turned to see Discord, Nick, and Adrien in the doorway looking proud.

Tobey smiled at their encouragement thinking that Word Girl uses the same encouragement on him whenever he did something good in her eyes.

Damon gritted his teeth knowing that the jig was up.

Nick spoke, "Well said young McCallister." and addressed their host, "Maybe now you should tell us why you kept us here this whole time instead of freeing us and let us go back to our homes."

Damon had a dark look on his face before answering, "Fine, I thought perhaps you were of some use to me, as you have come from different worlds and possess an ability to do harm. But as I have witness and learned from all of you these past days I think it's impossible to form an alliance."

Having heard enough, Adrien called out, "Plagg, claws out!"

The teen immediately transformed into Chat Noir and took out his baton to brace himself for a fight.

Damon chuckled, "Do you honestly think you can defeat me?"

Discord grinned mischievously, "Maybe he can't but I most certainly can!" he threw a magic ball at him.

At first the ball pushed the young wizard back but then he used the ball to push it back to the source and the draconequus fell onto his side.

Discord was shocked from the impact, "How did you do that?!"

Damon laughed making the others feel uneasy and kept on their guard.

"Did you forget that I am a master of sorcery? Chaos magic has very little effect on me! And as proof…" he took out a talisman with a strange symbol on it making Discord gasped and moved behind Chat Noir in a panic.

The superhero inquired, "What is it?"

Damon replied with a smirk, "This my friends is the symbol for order. It's quite harmless for anyone else but for a creature of pure chaos… well… I don't think I need to tell you."

Nick went next to Chat to help shield Discord from the object.

Then without thinking Tobey pushed the button on his remote and his robot went berserk again, causing a quick distraction on Damon giving them a chance to run.

As they were running in the hallways, Chat asked Tobey, "Did you just sacrifice your robot back there?"

The boy was surprised himself and sputtered, "I-I guess I did! I don't know why, it just happened!"

Nick smirked, "I have a pretty good idea why."

Tobey blush bright red as they kept running.

They managed to reach the stairway just as a blast of light nearly hit them. In their haste Discord toppled on the steps and tumbled like a pinwheel all the way down. Not wanting to copy their colleague, Chat helped Tobey onto his back while he and Nick slid down the banister to join Discord at the bottom.

Wasting no time, they went straight to the front doors of the castle and got outside only to be stop by the visible magical barrier.

"Starswirl's beard! I forgot that was here!" Discord exclaimed.

Chat put Tobey down and ordered, "Stand back!" and got ready to say, "Cataclysm!" his ring hand was charged up with black energy and then put the hand on the barrier causing it to turn gray and the barrier quickly turned into dust, freeing them.

"Whoa…" all three of his companions uttered.

Nick commented, "Remind me to never get on your bad side."

Discord and Tobey added, "Agreed."

"Let's go!" Chat declared and they rushed onwards.

Suddenly they could hear Damon's voice from overhead saying, "You can run but you can't hide forever! In fact, you'll be back on your own accord!"

Discord scoffed, "I doubt it!" and snapped his fingers only to realize, "Wait. Why isn't this working?!" he kept trying to teleport them but still couldn't.

Knowing that wasn't a good sign, the escapees just kept going until they were out of sight from Damon's view.

The mage grinned evilly while playing with the talisman, "They'll be back alright if they ever wish to return home… But this time, it'll come with a price…" he said while giving off evil eyes.