• Published 20th Oct 2018
  • 10,251 Views, 159 Comments

A Broken Warrior - Stonehearth



A boy was made to be the ultimate weapon. In an attempt to escape his fate, he found himself in a land of ponies, dragons, and changelings. Will he be able to find peace, or will his fate catch up to him?

  • ...
38
 159
 10,251

Confrontation

Everyone present let out a long sigh, formed from a mix of relief and exhaustion. Skystrike was sitting down, leaning on his Stake Launcher. He and Tethys just finished sharing a laugh after killing Vastilok. They began moving back towards the rest of the ponies when the smell of burnt flesh became too much to bare. After catching his breath, Skystrike stood up, putting the safety on on the Launcher and turning towards the ponies.

Tethys got up with him. "Where are we going?"

Skystrike huffed. "We have two things left to do. The second is that personal thing I need to do. The first..." The Pegasus stopped in front of Opal. "Have you made a decision?"

Opal looked at him. "You know... you said something about the weight of another's life or something like that before you went to the mine... I... I don't think somepony like him deserves a trial. It's open and shut... But I don't think I can carry the weight of his death on my heart. But if it guarantees that my sister, and other ponies wont be hurt by his actions again, then I must try."

Skystrike returned the look. "I'll.... I'll take that as a yes. And you don't have to ask the victims. They've been through enough." He put a hoof on the mares shoulder. "I have a few more things to check once I finish talking to the residents here. After, Tethys and I are going to do one last scout of the mountain. Just to make sure all danger is gone."

Opal nodded, then wrapped her forehooves around Skystrikes neck to hug him. "Thank you... thank you so much, Nebula." She said, holding back a few tears.

Skystrike shook his head. "It's nothing. I simply do what needs to be done." Opal released him from the hug. "We're going to check on everypony else. If anything comes up, send word." The unicorn nodded, then went back to her sister.

Skystrike and Tethys walked over to the rest of Opal's friend group. Bismuth, Emerald Green, Silverspeed, Spelunk, Stormfeather, and Astral were all still staring at the body of the earth dragon. In both fear and in awe. Bismuth spoke first. "It's... hard to believe it's finally over."

"Buck that it's over, Nebula is the real deal!" Spelunk pointed a hoof to the body. "I thought ponies were just overhyping him, but he nearly took down this giant bastard alone! I don't know how many guards it'd take to do that, but it's definitely more than one. And he's a Pegasus!"

Silverspeed nodded. "Then he was able to figure out who did it within a day. And he was mostly... right." She shuddered at the thought. "If he weren't here..."

Astral agreed. "I don't know what I'd do if he wasn't. The whole plan to lure out Magelight and the dragons. The juvenile dragons were mostly him though. I only got one. He handled the rest himself. All we did was some magic tricks."

"Don't sell yourselves short." Skystrike spoke from behind the group. "Each one of you played a role in this. It would've been much harder without you all. Be proud of yourselves." He stopped in front of the ponies. "Astral, how are the mares?"

Astral rubbed her horn a bit. All that magic made it sore. She winced when she touched it. "Ssss... The mares should be fine, given time. I'd still urge that we take them to a hospital or something. Their bodies are... could be in better shape, but I'm more focused on the trauma that they could have."

Skystrike nodded. She made a good point. "I have a few things to finish up here. We will leave for Vanhoover at sundown. I'd appreciate if you could pack everything by then, Astral. It'd put too much stress on the mares to move them to the city. I will have some doctors sent here." She nodded in response. "Now, for the rest of you, I will need one of you to come with us back to Canterlot. Someone has to testify in front of the princesses."

The ponies looked between each other. "Uh, can we get back to you on that?" Bismuth asked. "Oh, and here." He said, giving Skystrike back the marker.

"Of course. There's just one more thing I need to ask of all of you." Skystrike leaned forward. "Seeing as Magelight isn't dead... well, at least not yet... I assume everypony voted?"

They all looked to each other. Moments of awkward silence went by as the air grew tense. Spelunk broke the silence. "...When you, Astral, and Tethys left, all of the ponies in the village spoke about it for a while. They decided that it was best to leave it to us, the ponies whos sisters were affected, and Astral who was set up. I-..."

She was interrupted by Skystrike putting up a hoof. "Before you answer, just know, I hope you've tried not to let my actions affect your judgement, nor will I or any of you look at anypony different based on their answer."

Spelunk took in a deep breath. "...Alright... I... a part of me feels so wrong when I say this, but... A pony like him does not deserve the life he has... He betrayed out trust. Put all of us at risk... I don't even want to know who else he did this to...could've done this to in the future. I... I vote for him to die." Spelunk covered her mouth with regret at that last sentence. She never thought she'd have to make this decision in her life.

Emerald dug at the dirt beneath him before answering. "Magelight... at one point I called him friend. The affects his actions have had on the ponies around him is unforgivable. He could spend a life time trying to make right by them, and it'd never be enough. But even with all that... I can't say I think he deserves death."

Two in favor, one against his death so far. Silverspeed spoke next. "He sold us so he could save his own ass. You've shown that getting help was an option that could and did work. Trying to protect us my ass... He had more than enough money to hire a platoon. He dies." She said with notably more anger than the previous two.

Three in favor, one against. Bismuth put in his decision. "He waited so long to finally get help, then tries to sell Astral to the dragons. On top of that, he was actively working against you. Magelight's complete disregard for any life other than his own is inhumane. He should not have the mercy that our sisters and Astral should've gotten."

Four in favor. There are seven total. Only two more ponies left to go. Even though the majority already won, their opinions still mattered. Astral stepped forward. "I would've died if not for you. I'm not sure if I'm qualified to have an opinion on this, but... I think... a part of me thinks he should atone for his sins, but another part of me knows that he wont... If he gets away with this with no consequence, then he'll do it again. However, I personally don't think that the death sentence is the right one."

Four and two. "Stormfeather, you're the last one... What say you?"

"He dies." Stormfeather said quickly and angrily. "Everypony else said their reasoning, but are we just gonna forget that he only admitted all this stuff out of self preservation and not out of guilt? If worse came, he'd just have taken the money and ran. He would've lived a lavish life style for a few months minimum. He's crying over there because he got caught. He. Dies." Bismuth finished, stomping his hoof before sighing. "I'm going to check on Rainbowshine."

Skystrike sighed as Rainbowshine flew away. He looked at Tethys, then back to the ponies. "So, five to two... death's favor. I will carry it out myself. Is that vial of white phosphorus still with Magelight?" They all looked between each other to check, then answered with a yes.

The ponies watched as Skystrike went to Magelight. The unicorn tried his best to crawl away, but it was futile with his hooves tied. They, along with other villagers and Tethys, stared as Skystrike dragged Magelight into the forest as he was kicking and screaming.

As the two stallions went deeper into the forest, Magelight cries echoed between the trees. "You can't do this to me you bastard! You won't get away with this! I did what I had to do! For all of us!"

Skystrike decided to finally speak after that last sentence. He'd already come deep enough into the forest anyway. "Magelight... tell me, do you have anything to live for?"

The unicorn stopped his streaming. "...What?"

"What makes you keep on living?"

"...I don't know..."

"Think!" Skystrike demanded as he stabbed one of his swords' into the dirt.

Magelight grunted as he was thrown in the middle of a meadow. He looked up at the armored pony in fear. The blue eyes of the helmet stared into his soul. The unicorn felt as he was looking at death's embodiment in the face. Minutes passed as Skystrike stood still, staring at him. Waiting for his answer. It was ironic in a sense. He was so fearful of the dragons, but now his life is in the hooves of a pony mimicking their appearance. With his strength and brutality, he might as well be a demon.

The unicorn finally spoke. "...You... you think you can get away with this!?" Magelight yelled at him. His response was a heavy slap from Skystrike. He held his cheak as he grunted from the pain. "...You ba-" Magelight was interrupted by the same hoof. Skystrike slapped him again and again, switching between open palm and a back hoof. First blood came from Magelight's broken nose. Then some from a bruised lip. Then a tooth fell out. Skystrike paused momentarily. He was surprised that Magelight could even see him from the black eyes he had. "S... Sdob it!" Magelight cried as he tried to back away.

"Is this wrong?" Skystrike asked.

"Ob course id is! Who do you hink I ab!?"

"A mere fool." Skystrike answered simply, yet full of vitriol. "For god's sake. Look at what you did to the other ponies."

Magelight, still backing away, bared the pain and used his magic to cut his restraints. His adrenaline rushed through him as he shot as much magic he could muster at the Pegasus. It was almost impressive. Almost... When the cloud of smoke dispersed, Skystrike was still standing where he was. Magelight was overwhelmed with fear when he realized there was no visible damage on Skystrike. With the last of his strength used, Magelight fell to the ground. He wasn't the embodiment of death... no, he was death itself. And he feared the reaper. "Domepony! Id anybody dere!?" He screamed out at the top of his lungs.

"There is none that will come to save you." Skystrike looked down at Magelight. "They voted. The ponies who's sisters you sold, and Astral all voted for your fate. Five and Two, death's favor. But don't get them wrong, they simply didn't think death was the right punishment... In a court of law, you'd be banished. Not exactly better, and depending on where you'd have been banished to, it's have been much worse... In a sense, this is a mercy." Skystrike walked close enough and crouched down to get in Magelight's face. "Now... I feel no need to spare your life... You already hurt my sister, Astral Night... you sealed your fate. You will die here..."

"W-w-waid! Why!? I-I-I can gibe you boney, jusd don'd kill be! Dad's whad you cabe here for, righb!?" Magelight pleaded with death.

It was to no avail. "I see..." Skystrike closed his eyes. Magelight had a look of relief for a moment. Skystrike felt his anger well up inside him. Is that all that Magelight sees life as? A fucking transaction? Life is something that you can't put a price on. His rage felt... primal. Instinctual... Magelight's look of relief turned to horror when Skystrike opened his now burning white eyes. "So this is what it means to be unworthy of life!"

And with that, Skystrike kicked Magelight into a tree. Several sounds could be heard. First, the shattering of Magelight's sternum. Second, the crack of the tree he was shot into as well as the cracking of his spine simultaneously. Third, a grotesque sound of bursting flesh as Magelights chest and abdomen exploding. He didn't even have the air in his lungs to scream in pain from his protruding bones and burst organs laying on the ground. Skystrike kicked him in such a way where he could cause the most pain, but the pain was enough where he wouldn't fall unconscious from it. Magelight groaned.

Skystrike stared at him for a moment, thinking to himself as he calmed down. A part of him... enjoyed the pain he wrought on Magelight, but he knew it was bad. He knew well how to fight that instinct by now. It was almost like an addiction. Every being that he hurts, something in his mind tells him to keep going. As if it was a negative feedback loop. He'd have some questions for himself and Echo later.

Skystrike took out the flask of white powder in front of the groaning Magelight. To be specific on the contents of the flask, it was white phosphorus. Sure, it broke the Geneva Convention but... The world of Eques doesn't have a Geneva Convention. That makes it ok. Legally. But there was one last thing he needed from the unicorn. He'd at least have some use...

The Pegasus picked up his sword and walked to the broken and bloody mess that was Magelight and with a swift cut of his sword, lobbed off the horn of Magelight. One of the worst and most disrespectful things that could happen to a unicorn. And with that, Skystrike flew into the sky and threw the flask at his body. The fun thing about white phosphorus is that it ignites when in contact with oxygen, as well as has a higher burning temperature than the melting point of flesh and bone. Magelight couldn't scream through his collapsed lungs. All he could do was weakly look up at Skystrike as he burned. Blood ran down his face from where his horn used to be as his body began to melt. Skystrike made sure to stare at him until Magelight finally left this world. Then, he waited until the body of the unworthy burned to ash, as well as the tree he was kicked into. He flew back down and flapped his wings, letting the ash spread in the wind once the fire died down.

"It's better than he deserves..." Skystrike walked back to the village. He was met in the forest by his dragoness friend.

Tethys looked down at him with crossed arms. "Is it done?"

Skystrike nodded. "Yes."

Tethys sighed. "I know this is ironic coming from a dragon, but that was kinda fucked." She put a hand on her forehead. "You've... changed, Skystrike..."

He stood still at that. "I know... some times I look at what I've become, and I wish I didn't. But... after what happened... I couldn't just keep.. hoping that beings will change for the better. Sure, there are some that can change, but... he would've come back wanting revenge... I won't risk that again."

Tethys rubbed the ridge of her snout. "Holy... I didn't think it affected you this much..." She sighed. It needed to be addressed. The two thought back to why All split up. What the turning point was.


A younger Skystrike stood with a sword in hoof, staring down his foes with all the malice he could muster. He was staring down the remaining platoon of Royal guards, clad in golden armor. The once 40 of the ponies were down to a dozen and a half. All wasn't doing much better either. And to think, it all started from an escort request. He should've known... It was too good a deal to be true.

An envoy was sent to All to give them a letter, saying it was important. Skystrike checked the letters, reading it's contents. A request for all the members of his group to escort a yet to be named noble for a show of strength. He was about to laugh at it before reading the offer. Half a million bits. Fifty thousand when split all ways equally. Celeano would be able to get that airship upgrade she wanted. Sky Beak could use it to settle down like he dreamed. Casta could fund her research. He went to tell everyone that they got a job.

Now, they're half way in the grave. Tethys was the first injured. Stabbed in the back by that Bastard noble. Even now, he's found a way to mess with him. Zecora and Casta were using any potion or spell that could get her back up. By the time Skystrike turned back to see the source of Tethys' scream, Celeano was shot with a blast of magic, and Sky Beak was shot out of the air. A whole platoon came out from hiding between the trees of the forest. This was pre planned. Taking out the dragon, Avian, and Hippogriff simultaneously. Elytra changed from a piece of luggage inter her normal form, charging her magic as she went to protect Zecora and Casta. Celeano and Sky Beak had recovered from their minor injuries, the former pulling out a flintlock and saber while the latter a crossbow. Jeshan dug up from underground and made a wall of dirt, making his team mates cover from a few sides. Maud was in front with Skystrike, who quickly pulled her back. Alder came back and began firing arrows from above the forest.

Skystrike was about to dive at the noble, but he quickly teleported away. Skystrike set down Maud next to Elytra. "You two! Protect them while they help Tethys!" He drew his swords and flew towards the Diamond Dog. "Jeshan! Fall back for a bit, hold out with Celeano and Sky Beak! I'm taking out the anti-air!" Skystrike flew into the forest, finding where the guards were from where their shots of magic came from. Alder and and Sky Beak were doing their best to dodge, but they couldn't dodge them all. From the rate of fire, there were about sixteen unicorns. He dealt with them swiftly, flying to each one between the trees and cutting through them like butter. Limbs were cut off, blood was spilt, and heads rolled. The forty strong quickly fell to twenty four, left of earth ponies and pegasi.

Skystrike wasn't unharmed though. The ponies protecting the unicorns got some hits on him. While he could still move it, he couldn't feel his left arm. The leather armor allowed him to be faster, but he couldn't take many more hits. Some of his bones were fractured in his wings, but the adrenaline made him numb to the pain. Making his way back to the ambush site, his friends weren't doing any better than him. Tethys was at least back up, fighting alongside Maud and Elytra, but all three took pretty heavy damage. The Pegasus decided to fly towards Sky Beak and Jeshan, who was currently defending a downed Celeano, who was clutching her left talon, or where it once was.

Jeshan put up his staff to block an incoming overhead swing from a guard. Sky Beak was currently fighting two ponies himself, and couldn't help him out. Fatigue had gotten to the diamond dog, and the guard cut through his staff, leaving a large gash down his chest. He soon fell unconscious, only after seeing Skystrike quickly cut off his attackers forehooves, then quickly being layed on his back. "Sky Beak! I got-" He looked to the hippogriff, only to see him falling on his back after a hit from a mace hitting his head hard. Celeano fired her flintlock at the mace wielding pony, blasting a hole through the guard. Skystrike grit his teeth. "TETHYS!" He shouted, fending off some attacks from several sides. "Celeano, Sky Beak, and Jeshan are down! Bring them back to Zecora and Casta! I'll hold these fuckers off somehow!"

Tethys did so. Though tired, she flew towards her downed allies and picked up the three bodies. "Take this, you shit heads!" Celeano said, still firing her flintlock, and Skybeak's crossbow. "Sky Beak and Jeshan deserved better! I'll find all your graves and shit on them!" She said angrily. Finally at Zecora and Casta, they each began healing the three injured. Casta worked on closing Jeshan's wound, while Zecora used a salve to stop the blood flow to Celeano's leg. Skystrike jumped into the sky, hoping to have a quick break from the fight to check on his friends. Maud was still standing, swinging her Warhammer in her hooves at her attackers. She did her best as she stood above Elytra, whose carapace was cracked, but was still firing her magic the best she could.

But it didn't matter. Though through their combined efforts, they took the 40 strong down to 12, the damage was done. Casta and Elytra had ran out of magic, falling from over exhaustion. Maud was on her last leg, huffing hard and she rested the head of her Warhammer on the ground. Tethys took another fatal hit, using her ice breath to freeze close a wound from a spear in her stomach. Zecora was running out of energy, having minor cuts all over her body, but also tired from the medical attention she had to give to everyone present.

In a matter of moments, they were forced into a corner. Though battered and bruised, Skystrike was the only one in good enough shape to fight. One of his swords broke, leaving him with only one blade left to fight. The last of the 12 guards surrounded the remains of the group. It was a miracle that none of them died... Skystrike looked back to his allies... his friends... all looking back at him.

Maud spoke first. "Well, I guess we're between a rock and a hard place." She said in a monotone voice, trying to crack a joke in this situation.

Tethys coughed up some blood as Zecora began stitching her back up. "Gotta say... figured this was too good to be true." She was right.

Zecora looked up at him. "We'll make it out of this, Nebula, my friend! This is no day for us to meet our end!"

Skystrike gripped his sword. Their words might as well have fallen on deaf ears. It was his fault. He shouldn't have taken this deal. He was blinded by riches. No... He was blinded by a happy future. He knew from the moment he left the hive that there was no happy future for him. It was not his fate. Fate... Fate... Fate... FATE... FATE...

The word continued to ring in his head. He couldn't escape it. Everyone he meets, he bonds with... fate demands something different. He won't stand for this! He will change his future! He wont let the beings around him suffer anymore! Something in him spoke to him... telling him to fight... to kill! To spill blood! For those not spoken for! For those who suffer in silence! For those who want destruction! It's what he was made to do! To kill all who stand in his way!

Skystrike seemingly grew in size as his wrath overtook him. His muscles popped. His eyes emitted a blinding white light. And with one final declaration: "MY FATE WILL BE FORGED IN MY OWN HANDS!", he dashed forward with a loud boom, a blue streak tailed behind him as he went towards a guard in front of him. He didn't slow down as he cut through the body with one slice, taking the guard's head and shoulder clean off. Before the surrounding guards could react, he dashed into the air, stabbing a Pegasus from under them, their organs coming out the other side.

The rest of the guards quickly ran by his allies and towards him. They weren't nearly fast enough, Skystrike ripping the blade off a guard's corpse and throwing it into the neck of a charging earth pony. They choked on the blade and their own blood before falling over. Skystrike spun to dodge a javelin flying towards him, catching it in the air and throwing it at another Pegasus guard. Once he landed on the ground, he slashed at an approaching guard, his sword shattering on impact with his shield. Turning on his front hooves, he bucked the shield, shattering it to splinters, then grabbing the guard's body and using them as a meat shield, making a flanking guard stab his ally.

The face of horror on the pony's face as he killed his own friend didn't last long when he saw a hoof coming his way. The sheer impact cracked the neck of the guard as it twisted half way around. A guard took their eyes of Skystrike for a mere moment, looking at his comrades fall one by one, only to be snapped back to reality by a hoof going through mouth and out the back of his neck. Each kill, Skystrike got more violent as his instinct told him to show no mercy.

The remaining five ponies didn't last long. Two Pegasus and three earth ponies were soon to feel death's embrace. "Speedy! Redline! Get out of here! Report back to the princess! We'll buy you time!" The princess? Celestia!? His rage grew even more. Before they could react to their orders, Skystrike flew to grab one by the leg and slammed them into the ground, breaking many bones on impact. He stomped on their head, busting their skull open, killing them near instantly. The helmet might as well have been for show.

The last Pegasus didn't decide to wait around as they flew off as fast and high as their wings could take them. It wasn't far enough. Another boom and Skystrike caught up to them in mere moments. The Pegasus guard pleaded, but it fell on deaf ears. Skystrike grabbed onto their wings with his front hooves and kicked the pony down to the earth below with his back hooves. Their wings came off with pops, almost like taking grapes off the vine. They screamed in pain and fear as they fell, ending with a loud splat.

Skystrike flew back to the last three ponies, dropping the wings of their friend in front of them. "You fucked around... And now... you'll find out why Celestia wanted me gone so badly..." He said, preparing to prove it. A dash forward closed the distance between Skystrike and the guards, punching one guard and shattering his ribcage, making the guard cough up blood and fall to the floor. Turning to the next guard, he tore off a leg, leaving them screaming as they bled out. He stared down the last guard, dropping the severed limb and walking towards the pony frozen in fear.

He thought about letting him go. But that damn excuse of a noble got them all into this. Don't deal with them right, and they want revenge next chance they get. Skystrike would take no risk. He grabbed their throat with his metal arm and pulled it out.

Skystrike, covered in a mix of his and the enemy's blood, let out a roar in victory, his anger finally subsiding as the threat was over. For now at least. His adrenaline finally stopped, and fatigue caught up to him. The last thing he saw before falling unconscious was the faces of fear from his conscious friends.


Tethys grit her teeth, thinking back to the incident. She put a claw on her stomach, where the wound was those years ago. Casta and Zecora did well, there was barely even a scar left. "Zecora and Casta fixed me up pretty well. I saw some of the scars you still have. They could probably fix you up quick if you asked."

Skystrike shook his head. "I keep them on me... as a promise to do better by you all, and all those I failed to protect."

"Skystrike..." Tethys began walking, signaling Skystrike to walk next to her towards the forest. "When we first met, I had my... worries on following you. You were naïve, reckless, and you didn't think things through. Despite all that, you kept to yourself and planned things out, with very little room for mistake. You were at times... a huge asshole, but after you left, I realized that you were doing it to protect us... Then when you disbanded All, I realized that you blamed yourself for what happened." Skystrike grit his teeth at that,. Tethys continued talking. "Now that we're back together, I can tell that you've changed majorly. You're much more thorough in planning. You try and listen to others. You focus on the beings, not just the job now. But that guilt is still being carried on your shoulders. It was a mistake, Skystrike. It wasn't your fault."

"But it was my fault." Skystrike spoke up. "You all almost died! All because I just... got sloppy! It was my fault!"

Tethys shook her head. "It wasn't your fault. You couldn't have known there was an ambush."

"I could've checked! Scouted ahead! Anything that could've increased our chances! Celeano wouldn't have lost her foot! Jeshan wouldn't have lost his eye!" Skystrike began raising his voice.

Tethys was getting annoyed, showing her teeth. "We all knew the risks, and we don't blame you for it. We still have our lives! It wasn't your fault!"

"I had to disband the group! Everyone in my life, I just keep putting in danger!" Skystrike was full on yelling at this point. "So each of you could go back to the lives you had before! BETTER lives! I hurt you all too much for helping me with something I should've done myself from the start!"

Skystrike felt a punch to his face, falling on his side before looking at where it came from. Tethys was angry to say the least, having tears in her eyes on the verge of falling. "Do you have ANY idea how much you hurt us by leaving!? We blamed each other! We didn't feel like we were somebodies you could RELY on! You sacrificed EVERYTHING for us! We didn't even want your money, but you vanished before we could say something! You think just leaving in the night is the best option!?" Tethys punched him again. Skystrike took the hit. "We wanted to protect you too! Our travels! Our journeys! We enjoyed every moment spent with you! Good and bad! And you just leave!? Thinking you're protecting us!?" Tethys roared as she loomed over the Pegasus. Skystrike looked up at her, taking in her words. Tethys calmed down, albeit slightly. "You... you hurt us the most, Skystrike. We all know you blame yourself. It's not your fault. We don't blame you."

Skystrike looked down at the ground. He thought about it. He couldn't shake the guilt, but he knew. Skystrike got back up and kept walking. Motioning for Tethys to follow him. She sighed and did so. "You're right... A part of me already knew that... but I think I just needed someone to tell me. So, thanks Tethys." Skystrike and Tethys walked for a couple minutes in silence before Skystrike decided to speak up. He made up his mind. He had to tell her. "I have something to confess."

Tethys raised an eyebrow. "Okay...?"

"Before I do, I just want to ask you something..." Skystrike stopped and turned to look her in the eyes. "...Do you believe even the worst person can change? That a cycle of suffering can be broken if someone just tries hard enough?"

Tethys chuckled. "Asking that right after dealing with Magelight? I've always agreed with what you told me all those years ago. Everyone can change. Whether they deserve the chance to is a different story."

Skystrike let out a deep sigh, before standing on his hind hooves and taking off his armor. A neon green fire surrounded him for a moment. Joints popped, muscled stretched, and bones cracked. It a moment, where a pony once stood before Tethys, was a human, his eyes reaching her chest. His dark skin glistened as the white snow melted on his body. The white hair flowing down his back flowed with the wind. All that covered him was a piece of cloth that hung around his waist.

Tethys' green eyes stared into his light blue. "...What are you? Are you Skystrike? I've never seen something like you."

Skystrike nodded. "I... was originally called P.R.O.W-0034. Skystrike Nebula was the name I gave myself when I came to this world. I'm... I am human."

Tethys leaned over and walked around him, getting a good look at him. "...I'm confused. This isn't some prank and you're a changeling? I've seen Elytra transform like that..."

Skystrike shook his head as he put back on his armor, the once heavy armor for a pony was placed on his chest, shoulders, arms, and legs, only being able to cover the important parts. "I was taken in by the Changelings, so I picked up a few things from them. But lets keep walking. I'll explain along the way." Skystrike said, walking towards the mountains. He told her everything. How he grew up as a human. What he was trained to do. How he got out. To Equestria. How he was chased out. Went with the changelings. Came back to the ponies. How and why he was banished from the hive. Why he faked his death. How he met her. Why he couldn't say anything about his identity. And how all of that lead to where he was now. It took over an hour, but he got his point across. "...Now, there's a signal up here in these mountains. No way it's a coincidence. There are humans up here doing something. And I think they're here for me. I can't put anyone else at risk."

Tethys paused for a minute. "That's... a lot to take in. I'll... any questions I have will just bring up more. But for now... was... was all of this just an act? I'm still skeptical that you are Skystrike. A lot could've happened in the two and a bit years you were gone."

Skystrike laughed a bit. "It takes much more than what I've dealt with to kill me." Skystrike said, making a ball of fire in his hand and looking at it. "...I need to cut my nails." He said to himself. "But no, nothing was fake. I am still Skystrike. My body may have been, but the experiences we all shared weren't an illusion."

Tethys smiled a bit at that. "That's good to hear. So about that signal?"

"Right. I, well Echo detected it when he was researching the area. All of a sudden he detected a signal. This world doesn't have the technology to send radio waves. Magic stunted the development of technology, so most things here are made to detect a magical current, not an electrical current. Echo is the only thing in Equestria, maybe this whole world, to detect the signals this place is sending. And it's also receiving a signal, meaning they're in communication with someone on their end."

"I understood none of that."

"Basically, someone in this world is talking with someone from my original world, and can't be detected by the residents of this world besides me." Skystrike simplified. He put up a hand. "We're here. And before we go in, my gut is telling me we wont be alone. I know you aren't great with tight spaces, so stay behind me and watch our backs."

"Got it. Lead the way."

They stood in front of a stone wall. Looked normal, but Echo and Skystrike could feel it calling to them. "This the spot."

"Yes. Short circuit the surroundings and we'll get inside. Find a terminal. Plug me in. I can do everything else from there." Echo spoke from within the helmet.

Skystrike charged some lightning in his hand before sending a pulse towards the wall. Not enough voltage, but he could figure out where he needed to hit. He lowered his arm to adjust his aim and shot a more powerful pulse. After a few tries of increasing strength, the stone wall moved, revealing a white door. Just like the lab he came from all those years ago. The door opened, an elevator inviting them in.

Skystrike stepped inside, Tethys following him. There was only one floor he could go to, so he pressed the button and began heading down. He rolled his neck, stretching a bit before the elevator slowed to a stop. Skystrike charged a ball of magic in his hands, preparing to release it as soon as the door opened.

But when it did, there was nothing. Skystrike and Tethys shared a look of surprise at the lack of enemies. No way they didn't see them coming. Unless... Skystrike looked around. In front of him was a long hallway, sharing the white walls of the lab from all of those years ago. Several colors ran parallel along the wall, but Skystrike decided to focus on the most important one. A red line labeled 'Terminal' went down to the end of the hallway. "We may already be too late, but it's worth a try! Let's speed up!"

The two began running. Though Tethys didn't know where he was going, she followed behind, matching his pace. It was no use. By the time they made it to their destination, they were already too late. Tethys grunted at the state of the bodies of the fallen humans. Skystrike quickly got past it, walking to one of the bodies and touching it. There were seven human bodies on the floor, all missing their heads. Blood and brain matter splattered the walls. And each body was still warm. Some still gripping their weapons, ranging from pistols, to rifles, to blades. Though few, they were all prepared to fight for their lives.

Yet they didn't get the chance to. Skystrike looked to the dead end they cornered themselves in. Well, to be exact, it wasn't a dead end. A halo like object, about three meters in diameter, was laying on the floor. He felt something familiar... Skystrike remembered the lab. While this looked much different, it was the same mana he felt when he was in the lab. It was a portal. Back to his original world. He grit his teeth. There's no way that this is their only one. They've had a way to get here, for a while, to Equestria. He doubted they'd put their only one in the middle of nowhere. He'd need to check for other portals.

Skystrike saw a terminal next to the halo. He took off his helmet, plugging it in with a cord. "Echo, I need everything in the terminal. What happened here, where exactly this portal leads to, and where the other portals are. Also, what this facility is for." Skystrike stood up and looked at Tethys. He put up his hands. "...Welcome to the human race I guess... Well, more like what's left of it."

Skystrike, Tethys, and Echo stood in silence for a moment. Tethys looked at the bodies, then back to Skystrike. "Hey, so, are you like... Why are they... why are you brown?"

Skystrike looked at her, then laughed the hardest he has in a while. He was about to stop, then began howling again. "Jesus Christ, you can't just ask why someone is brown!" Skystrike regained his composure.

"What's so funny?" Tethys growled.

Skystrike laughed a bit more. "Tethys, a question like that has some racial indications behind it. I'm laughing because you don't know better, so it's an innocent question. It's be equivalent if I asked you why you were a dragon."

"Oh.... Oh shit, sorry! I didn't mean it like that! I meant like, are there different types of humans? Kinda like ponies and dragons? Do you get something that the pale ones can't do?"

Skystrike laughed even harder. "Holy shit this is great! Oh my god..." He laughed. "No, I mean besides being able to say the n-word." He laughed some more. "For real though, there aren't different 'types' but we have different ethnic groups. We come from different parts of the world and galaxy, but we're all the same species. Think of it like the different types of dragons. Sure you all look different, and are capable of different things, but you're all still dragons."

"That makes sense I guess. What's the n-word?" Tethys tilted her head.

Skystrike paused for a moment. "Look, I said that as a joke. There's a lot of racial injustices and history behind it that would take me a long time to explain as properly as I'd like for someone with no knowledge on it to understand. I'll tell you about it another time once we're done here and we have the time."

"Analysis complete. As requested, I will answer what you've asked earlier. Echo spoke in their monochrome voice. "The bodies here are former employees of this facility. Security, faculty, and Researchers. They saw you and Tethys coming through the cameras. The head researcher reported to a superior about what to do. In response, a signal was sent back, activating a micro-bomb implanted within the brain of all staff here. It was most likely an attempt to stop you from getting information from them. It didn't matter, I am within their systems."

Echo moved his holographic eyes, motioning toward the halo. "The portal has no set destination. Rather this is the destination. Several different locations link at this portal. What those locations are, I do not know, but from reports, one can assume warehouses, due to a consistent supply of food and resources. Notably a large amount of electronic and mana devices. The eyes moved back onto Skystrike. "These portals do not lead to anywhere in this world. It leads back to our dimension of origin. I'd recommend destroying the portal."

Skystrike walked over to the halo to pick it up. It was heavy. Looking at it closer, he realized it was mage of tungsten and gold, in very dense quantities. He'd have to use this for later. Skystrike focused fire in his hands, molding the metal and compressing it into a sphere just able to fit in the palm of his hand. He put it into his saddlebag. He looked around more, seeing the weapons on the ground. No way he could let these get out in Equestria. The damage these could cause is immeasurable. He grabbed each and put them into his bag as well. "And the facility? What's it for?"

"Begin walking to the laboratory of the facility. I will explain on the way." Echo spoke, shutting of his eyes before Skystrike put him back on. He motioned for Tethys to follow. The group walked out of the room and began following the green line labeled 'Facility'. As they walked, Skystrike noticed the tire marks on the floor. They had to have been moving some heavy items to their destination. "This facility had three roles." Echo finally decided to speak. "Spying on, studying, and making weaponry in hopes of stopping you."

They turned the corner to a towering metal door. Skystrike couldn't tell what type, but it was for sure some type of steel. "Uh.. Skystrike? A question." Tethys looked at the human. Skystrike turned to her. "What do you expect to be behind this if they were making things to kill you?"

Skystrike clenched his fists. "Not sure... More than likely will be nothing active, since they neutralized the people here at the sight of me approaching. But on the slight chance that it's something that will give me a run for my money... No, that wouldn't make sense. They wouldn't make a weapon that strong and keep it on standby... Lets just see for ourselves." He pulled back his fist while engulfing it in a thick layer of water. With a straight jab, the water around his hand focused itself onto the door, the pressure of the water cutting through the door like butter and making a hole big enough to fit through.

"...I did not know water could be so dangerous... How did you do that?" Tethys examined the hole Skystrike cut through.

"Water pressure. Focus a lot water into a small enough area, and the pressure can cut through nearly anything." He said, moving through the hole he made. Finally seeing the main part of the facility, he would be lying if he said he wasn't intrigued. On the wall furthest from him was a top down map of the country of Equestria. Not too detailed, being a simple military map. What stood out to him was a bright red dot to the north of Vanhoover. exactly where he is now.

"There is no tracker on you, luckily. They have been detecting your mana, more specifically, the amount of mana that you've been absorbing." Echo began speaking again.

"Elaborate." Skystrike said, keeping his eyes on the map.

"You are able to focus your mana into magic. The procedures done on you as a child allowed for you to absorb mana at a rate 40 times the rate of a normal awakened human. To put further into perspective, the ponies absorb mana at 4 times the rate. On top of that, the beings of this world have organs that convert mana into magic automatically."

"That explains a few things, namely why ponies think I have no magic." Skystrike said to himself. "So basically, all the humans have to do is search for a large concentration of mana?"

"Put simply, yes." Echo said before changing his audio source for only Skystrike to hear. I will also say for safety purposes, it seems that changing between forms is a magic spell, changing you on a physical level. In response, keeping the form does not cost mana. It also stops you from expelling mana naturally. Thankfully, you have been releasing mana by converting it to magic, needing to power your arm. You need to be able to constantly release mana. You already know what happens when a catalyst overflows."

Skystrike thought back to when he escaped. Mana poisoning. Too much mana will kill him from the inside. "I'll be careful."

"You done standing there? If so, there's another one of those things you plugged your helmet into. And this seems important..." Tethys spoke up from an adjacent wall of the room.

Skystrike walked over and plugged echo in. After, he went to see what Tethys was looking at. "...What the fuck..." In front of him. It was a small hanger, robotic arms stood still with various tools on them, awaiting orders. In the middle of them was a pony, or a copy of one. It mimicked a unicorn specifically. With bones of steel, muscles of polymer, and nerves of circuitry, the machine stood lifeless.

As of current, Skystrike could tell it was a prototype. The head of the machine was nearly finished, having holographic eyes similar to Echo's, and a layer of white plastic to give it a semblance of a face. The chest and one of the forelegs were fitted with polymer muscles, as well as the waist. The one of the back legs were simple steel swivel joints that hung limp due to the lack of muscles.

What stood out even among the machine was the parts added onto it. Like an upgrade. The other back leg was complete, fitted with a piston in the cannon, a major part of it visible sticking out from the back of the hock joint. Within the back of the machine seemed to be some type of motor attached to a set of propellers, all within a tube... Is this a fucking jet turbine? There's two! "Holy shit..."

"What is it?" Tethys grabbed a leg and lifted it. "Some, metal pony? Looks a bit silly..."

"They were trying to make a robot to kill me! They just took a pony model and added what each race had, but better! A unicorn horn, jet turbines, piston legs!" Skystrike took a step back. "If this just had a few more years of work, this would've been a huge problem!" He huffed before thinking some more. "Wait... if they were making a fighting automaton, then there has to be some to gather information... Echo! How many!?"

"My records show that 20 were built, and all were taken out of commission." Echo answered as he finished collecting data. "Do not ask by who. I do not know. They were made into scrap oddly soon after you came to this world."

"So they were hunted... Only Celestia and her guard would know about that aside from humans... makes sense why she was so wary of me when I first crashed down..." Skystrike stood in thought for a few minutes.

Tethys broke the silence. "What are you thinking about?"

Skystrike grit his teeth as he punched a wall. "There's only one explanation for all of this... coming to this world was part of their plan... First's plan..."

"...What?"

"He let me come here, let me stay away from humanity so there would be no outside influence on my actions!" He threw another fist into the wall. "It's all just a game for them! Hoping they get good results with enough time!"

"Skystrike?" Tethys began to grow uneasy.

"I was meant to! This is my damn fate! All of this was useless!" The next punch made a dent in the wall. "All my suffering! All the pain I went through! That everyone went through! It was his fucking plan!"

"Skystrike!" Tethys called out to him.

"It was all worth NOTHING!" His knuckles began to bleed. "He just keeps deciding what my fate should be! That signal was his plan too! I can never make my own destiny! Not like this! It wasn't fucking worth it!"

"SKYSTRIKE!" Tethys grabbed his reeled back fist. He turned back to look at her, his eyes full of hatred meeting hers full of worry. "I wont pretend I know how you feel, but it wasn't worth nothing! You said it yourself! The experiences we've shared mean something to you! You meeting me! The others! Your path in life! The places you'll go! No one has, or will decide that for you! All of those you've done by yourself, for yourself!"

He was able to calm down at least slightly. "Be that as it may... no, you're right. It was all worth something... but I don't like how coming here was their plan... I should've known... that fight was too easy... my arrival was too destructive, like they wanted me to make enemies... I was meant to be Equestria's enemy from day one..."

"But even with all of that known... what does it change? You're still you, Skystrike." Tethys reassured him as she slowly let go of his arm.

Skystrike took a few more moments to calm down before taking Echo and putting him back on. "Tethys, pick up the mech-pony and take the elevator. It's coming with us."

"And you?"

Skystrike put up his bleeding knuckles and focused his mana into them, healing them in moments. "I'm going to make sure that no one can find this place..."


Tethys stepped outside the elevator, glad she could feel the dirt and grass between her claws again. The flooring felt... unnatural. She held the 'mech-pony' in her arms, looking at it with both fear and curiosity. This thing was something being made to kill him. Her friend. She would destroy it without a second thought. But Skystrike wants to keep it. To use it probably.

She thought back to their travels. He was... a lot less vocal compared to now. Barely speaking besides when he thought it was necessary. Always keeping to himself, despite being part of a team. Carrying everyone's problems on his shoulders. He was always working on something for the others whenever he had the time. Don't get her wrong, she did appreciate it. She still had the armor he made her after all.

But despite how reserved he was, he still made it clear he cared for them. Routine check ups, making food to their likings, listening to their problems. Bringing the whole group together. Not even mentioning how he met them. More specifically her. And now, Skystrike finally opened up to her. Tethys had to admit, it was a lot to take in, but with his story in mind, it all made sense.

Tethys was still looking at the machine. This thing, its creators, were trying to take him away. She can't let it happen. Not again. She wouldn't let Skystrike save her again. It's her turn to do a favor.

She jumped a bit when she suddenly heard a huge explosion behind her. Nearly dropping the machine, Tethys turned around to see the mountain rumbling. The rock wall quickly cracked and crumbled, falling into where the laboratory once was. When she looked down into it, she saw Skystrike climbing his way out, gripping on the rocks as his hands steamed from the large fire spell that he casted.

Finally, he reached the surface. Pulling himself up and dusting himself off. He gave out a heavy sigh before surrounding himself in green fire, turning back into his pony form. "Man... I needed to let off some steam. Thanks by the way... I know after what happened that helping me was a lot...."

"Don't worry about it. But remember, we're still talking about everything on the train though." Tethys threw the machine back to Skystrike.

Skystrike caught it and put it on his back. "I know... I at least owe you that much." Skystrike said as he began walking back towards the village, motioning Tethys to follow him. "At least it went quick. It's about 6 p.m. and it's Wednesday. I should have time to get back, make the walk back to Vanhoover, and then take a train ride to Canterlot to finish up everything there by Friday night..."

"What're you in a rush for?" Tethys raised a brow.

"My birthday is this Saturday, and I said I'd be back by then because my friends want to celebrate it." Skystrike let out a yawn. "Hopefully nothing major comes up."

Tethys blinked, then scratched at one of her horns. "Ah, sorry... I forgot when your birthday was... I'm not that good with dates, since time flies by so fast at my age."

"Fair enough. I don't blame you." Skystrike chuckled. "...By the way, I don't think you ever told me when your birthday was... or how old you are."

"Well, to be honest, I stopped remembering the date when I stopped having dragons to remember it... and we dragons don't really do parties anyway..." She admitted.

Skystrike was a bit surprised. "Well that's no way to do it. It's still important! Tell you what, once we get to Ponyville, I'll do something special for your... how old are you turning?"

Tethys counted on her fingers for a little bit, then scratched her horn again. "Uhm... Over 250, lower than 300... closer to 250 though."

"...I don't know how I'll get that many candles." Skystrike laughed a bit. Tethys smiled in turn.

They walked for a couple more minutes before returning back to the village, stealthily putting the mech-pony in a wooden box in his wagon. He nailed it shut before beginning to finish what he had to do in the village. He grit his teeth. He'd need somepony to come back to testify, but it's very likely that none of the ones mainly involved would want to come in their state, or leave their sisters behind. He'd hate that he has to do this, but he'd have to ask.

Luckily, the most optimal pony was there for him. "Hey..."

Opal turned to look at him. "Ah, Nebula, I suppose it is that time, huh?" She gave a tired smile.

He nodded. "...Is your sister ok?"

"...As well as she can be. At least she's sleeping." Opal sighed. "What about you? You've had one busy day."

"...Admittedly I'm going off of six hours of sleep... But I cant sleep anyway. Not after what happened here. Besides, I still have to make the trip back to Vanhoover." Skystrike scratched the back of his head. "...Have you all talked about who's coming?"

Opal nodded. "I was the one who went to the princesses. It'd only makes sense that I go again... Just... give me a bit more time with my sister."

Skystrike understood. "Of course. We'll wait for you at the wagon." Opal thanked him again before walking to her cabin. Skystrike sighed. "Tethys, go get the green dragon. He'll testify as well. After, his fate will be in your hands."

"You're the boss." Tethys said, flapping her wings and flying toward the town hall.

The stallion made his way back to his wagon, taking the swords off his sides and leaning them and himself against the side of the wagon. He let out a loud, long groan, the full impact of the mission setting in. Holy shit... Magelight was one of the worst ponies he's met, doing that to everypony else. At least he was dealt with...

What he's worried about now were the humans. They've been watching him this whole time. How closely, Skystrike didn't know, but they at least knew his location at all times. It got him thinking. Were they... no, it's all but confirmed now that they've been affecting his life here, but he needs to find out how. Thinking back on it, some things seems to... line up too well. After he got banished from the hive, it seemed planned... Thinking back on it, he never did see Khrusalis' body, nor was it announced. Then, when the orphanage burned down, he woke up fine with Elytra. No way that was a coincidence. He didn't know where Elytra was hiding, but Echo did... Even with Magnus, it felt almost like a test, seeing if he would reveal his own abilities. Something was definitely fishy... Skystrike had a lot of work to do when he got back to the capital.

"You ok? Sounded like you just broke something." Astral Night walked around to Skystrike's side of the wagon.

"...Yeah, just... been doing some thinking." Skystrike stood up and stretched a bit. "Everything ready on your end?"

Astral nodded. "All there was to get was some documents and Magelight's journal. Loaded those up for when you get back to Canterlot and see the princesses."

Skystrike found it odd the way she said that. "...You know you're coming with me right? You're a victim in this as well of both Magelight and Upper Crust."

"Oh... crap... I need time to prepare! I don't have a nice dress... I need to take a bath..."

Skystrike waved a hoof. "Calm down, it's not that serious. They don't care that much about dress clothes. Besides, we'll be given a few hours before we're summoned if we're lucky. They won't expect us to be back so early."

Astral blinked. "You... You didn't tell the princesses, the ones who commissioned you, when you'll be back!?"

"They didn't give me a time limit."

"How are you so lax about this!?"

"Pretty simple really. They both know the severity of what happened here. When we come, they're going to drop everything to prepare, if they haven't prepared already, for us. And I made it clear through my reputation that I get things done, whether it takes a day, a week, or a month." Skystrike rolled his neck.

Astral was about to say something, but jumped when a loud crash was heard behind the two. The two ponies turned to see Tethys loading the frozen green dragon in to the back of the wagon. Skystrike was SO glad he bought the extra large. "All ready on my end... just wish I had something to eat."

"Second box from the front on the right. Grab me and Astral something too." Skystrike began stretching, preparing for the long walk.

"Me too please." Opal spoke, walking up to the group with a few supplies in her saddlebag. "If you don't mind, I mean..."

Tethys responded with throwing her a plastic wrapped sandwich, along with everyone else. Skystrike quickly finished his sandwich before hitching himself to the wagon. "Alright, everyone on. We got a long ride. Opal, Tethys, Astral, tell me if you need anything." Opal and Astral climbed inside while Tethys climbed on top of the wagon and sat down. "I plan on making this ride short. We should be at Vanhoover in the morning. Anyone forgetting anything?" Everyone responded with their respective no's. "Alright, let's go." Skystrike said, beginning to walk, turning the wagon around and walking out the village.

"By the way, Nebula?" Opal spoke up.

"Yeah?"

"Everypony in the village wanted to say thank you. To everypony- er, everyone here. We really appreciate everything you've done here."

"Don't worry about it. I'm happy to help. That's why I chose this line of work."


After a few hours, night fell. Everyone fell asleep, but Skystrike kept walking. There was something that still felt... wrong, but he couldn't label it. Just something in him that made him feel uneasy. He tried to ignore it. With a sigh, Skystrike looked up at the stars. It was... different, but welcome. A few weeks after Luna came back, he noticed that the stars have changed. No longer were they the same glimmers here and there, but each twinkled differed from the other. Luna put in a lot of effort into each night she had. He'd have to tell her so when they next met.

After a bit more walking, he still couldn't get the thoughts out of his head. His past required a confrontation. Hind sight is 20/20, he should not have just disappeared like that... twice... He grit his teeth at that. He fucked up big time. With another sigh, he looked back at Tethys, Opal, and Astral, making sure they were sleep. He turned his head forward to see Vanhoover in the distance. About five hours away... Skystrike stared at the night sky once again before humming to himself.

It was a simple, but nostalgic tune. He remembered sister Saffron singing it to him whenever he had some problem. Sometimes he fell asleep to it... It bought back memories... he'd have to thank her when he saw her again. Before, he just enjoyed how it sounded. Now, he realizes how much the lyrics speak to him.

"I couldn't wait for you to come clear the cupboards...
But now you're going to leave with nothing but a sign.
Another evening I'll be sitting reading in between your li-i-ines~
Because I miss you all the time...

So, get away!
Another way to feel what you didn't want yourself to know,
And let yourself go!
You know you didn't lose your self-control!
Let's start at the rainbow!
Turn away!
Another way to be where you didn't want yourself to go~,
Let yourself go!
Is that a compromise?

So what do you wanna do, what's your point-of-view?
There's a party soon, do you wanna go?
A handshake with you, what's your point-of-view?
I'm on top of you, I don't wanna go!
'Cause I really wanna stay at your house.
And I hopе this works out.
But you know how much you broke me apart.
I'm done with you, I'm ignoring you.
I don't wanna know!

And I'm awarе that you were lying in the gutter...
'Cause I did everything to be there by your side-ide~
So when you tell me I'm the reason I just can't believe the lies~
And why do I so want to call you...Call you, call you, call you

So what do you wanna do, what's your point-of-view?
There's a party soon, do you wanna go?
A handshake with you, what's your point-of-view?
I'm on top of you, I don't wanna go
'Cause I really wanna stay at your house.
And I hope this works out!
But you know how much you broke me apart
I'm done with you, I'm ignoring you,
I don't wanna know
You
Oh-oh oh-oh-oh
I don't know why I'm no-one

So, get away!
Another way to feel what you didn't want yourself to know,
And let yourself go!
You know you didn't lose your self-control!
Let's start at the rainbow!
Turn away!
Another way to be where you didn't want yourself to go.
Let yourself go!
Is that a compromise?

So what do you wanna do, what's your point-of-view?
There's a party soon, do you wanna go?
A handshake with you, what's your point-of-view?
I'm on top of you, I don't wanna go!
'Cause I really wanna stay at your house...
And I hope this works out.
But you know how much you broke me apart.
I'm done with you, I'm ignoring you!
I don't wanna know!"

Like back then, he began feeling better, albeit a little bit. He smiled to himself. He looked back at the girls, still sleeping. Hopefully they didn't hear him. He didn't think he was too loud. He tried to shake off the sleep as he got closer to Vanhoover. Skystrike's been longer without sleep, but this time feels different. His body wasn't tired, but his mind was. He didn't like it. He rolled his neck and picked up the pace, hoping it'd take his mind off of things.

In a few hours, they made it to Vanhoover. It was about 3 a.m. so there was barely anypony out. The few that were walking the streets eyed him, wondering what he was pulling in the carriage behind him. A simple look from the armored pony made the onlookers quicken their pace in the opposite direction of Skystrike. It only took a few minutes to get to the train station. Back just in time to get on the train, seeing it about 10 minutes away in the distance.

Thankfully, it was the same pony he saw about a few days ago working the same shift. Never talked, but they shared a glance the days prior. They shared a greeting before getting onto business. "One ticket I assume? Where to?" The mare asked as she began to take off a ticket.

"Ah, three actually. The other three I'm traveling with are in the wagon sleeping. To Canterlot. I already have a round trip ticket for myself, and a train car for all of my belongings." He pulled out his ticket for her to check, as well as a bag of bits to pay for the three tickets."

The mare smiled. "Alright, that makes my job a lot easier!" She counted out the bits and put it in her register before handing him his tickets. "And here you go, your change is 40 bits."

Skystrike took the tickets and pushed back the bag of bits. "Keep it as a tip for yourself. I know the graveyard shift sucks."

She smiled back and thanked him when the train blared its horn, notifying that it arrived. Skystrike nodded as he turned around and began pulling the wagon to his train car. After sorting out everything with the conductor, he parked his wagon and began unloading. They only had 30 minutes before the train left, so they had to be quick about unpacking. Skystrike woke up Tethys, Astral, and Opal, giving them all their tickets and the two mares going to their rooms. Thankfully, the overnight train car he ordered came with beds. Tethys yawned as she began helping Skystrike move his stuff into their train car.

"What day is it?" Tethys asked as she began hauling the dragon off the wagon.

"Early Thursday morning. My clock says... 3:17." Skystrike helped her lift the still frozen greed dragon off the wagon and into the train car.

Tethys blinked. "...We left that village at dusk! I thought you said the walk was a two day trip?!" He could easily hear the surprise in her voice.

"Didn't feel like sleeping. Plus, the sooner we get to Canterlot the better." Skystrike and Tethys put down the dragon and began moving the comparably smaller items. "Plus, just needed time to think."

"Nebula, how long have you been awake for?" Tethys raised a brow.

Skystrike put down another box. "...Two and a a half days... last I slept was when you came to the village."

Tethys put down her box. "...I'll handle the rest of your luggage, you need sleep."

Skystrike shook his head. "Thanks for worrying, but I'm sure I'll be fine. I have to much on my mind anyway. Plus, I promised that we'd talk."

Tethys sighed. "Fine... last thing is your cannon thing anyway." She went to pick up the box. It was surprisingly light. "Where did you learn to make things like this anyway?"

"Well, I did go to college, but didn't finish graduation due to... you know... but my major was Magical Engineering. This world doesn't rely much on electricity, being centuries behind humanity, so I learned electrical engineering from Echo as well. From that, I can make my own blueprints for weapons. Then I just need to get the materials and put it together."

The two walked into the train car after Skystrike parked the wagon for pick up. "I'm confused." Tethys admitted. "So you're using future technology right now?"

"Basically." He shrugged as Tethys put down the crate and sat on top of it, crossing her legs. Skystrike took of his helmet and locked the door. "But enough of that for now, I owe you answers. Ask whatever you want, and I will answer it to the best of my ability.

Tethys stayed silent for a moment. "Alright... just give me time to think." Skystrike nodded in wait. The train's horn whistled as they began moving. The room fell still, the rhythmic bumping of the train was the only thing notifying that time was passing by. Finally, she spoke. “Why did you kill Magelight like that?”

It was Skystrike's turn this time to stay silent, thinking of what words to use. "I... a part of me saw First in him...." He answered before realizing he needed to clarify. "First was... the one who started me off down this path... raised me to only fight and kill, seeing me and my brothers and sisters as nothing but expendable pawns. First only saw use in others, not caring for any repercussions, since he was the only one to keep himself in check. It takes someone with more power to deliver that justice to those deserving. I decided that should be me, just like I did with First... Every word Magelight spoke made me more and more violent, as if I was becoming what First wanted me to be..." Skystrike clenched a hoof as his eyes flickered. "The way he spoke, like he had any right to power over the ponies around him, using whatever reason he could to justify himself, it was like I was looking at First once more... I killed him before I came to this world... Well, I thought I did, but there's a very likely chance that he's still alive, and me coming here was his plan." Skystrike's eyes flashed white before controlling his breathing and calming down.

Tethys thought on it. "I... can understand your actions. I've known you long enough to realize you have your reasons. But you must realize that even though he may have deserved death, you used your own feelings and past as justification for killing Magelight?"

"I do realize, and I hate myself for it... I wanted to move on from my past, but... everything just happened, didn't go according to plan... I planned on killing him anyway since I knew he was selling those who trusted him, but... those words he said will forever remind me of First." Skystrike let out a long sigh.

"I assume from the whole expendable pawns part that... your human family is no longer with us?"

Skystrike shook his head. "Sadly... no... First had me... end them... to prove that I was his perfect warrior. But after everything that happened... I guess I'm a broken one now..."

Tethys decided to move on from that topic. "Well, getting into more personal questions, Why did you have us disband?"

And there it is. The hard questions are starting. Skystrike leaned forward. "I at least owe you an answer for that." Once again, he stayed in silence to think of how to best say it. "We were targeted by assassins. We became too big of a target, got on a certain noble's bad side. After thinking for days on end, I decided the best way to stop it from happening again was disbanding. I wanted to make sure none of you would be hurt by my actions anymore. I left all the money we had to you all, trying to make up for my mistake by making sure you all could live happy lives. You went back with a hoard you could be proud of. Zecora got to travel and gather rare ingredients. Casta was able to fund her research. Maud was able to go to university. Elytra found a place she could fit in. Jeshan was able to open up a shop. Sky Beak was able to settle down with his family. Alder was able to retire and travel. Celeano got her airship. Everyone got their happy ending..."

Tethys grew a bit angry at that. She growled. "...And what about your happy ending? Do you think we've lived lives we could enjoy so far, knowing that you suffered for us? You just left us money and plans then disappeared!" Her voice grew louder with each passing sentence. "Did we mean so little to you that you just left with saying so little!?"

Skystrike furrowed his brow. "Don't say that in front of me knowing damn well otherwise. I did all of that for you all! It's because you all mean so much to me that I left like that! The more you knew about me, the more my enemies would go after you! He'd use you all to get to me! Just like back then!"

She knew he was referencing the orphanage. Again, she could see his logic. She sighed again. "We wanted you to be there with us, Skystrike. It wasn't fair to you. My hoard means nothing knowing it came from your suffering." She sat in silence again before asking her next question. "When will you start looking for the others? You just found me, and you said Zecora moved to where you were living by chance. But you wont get so lucky with the others."

"I already know where most of the others live. Celeano, Alder, and Jeshan will be hard to pinpoint, while Skybeak will just be hard to get to. Casta is definitely in Canterlot, and so should Maud be since she's in University. I would've seen her last time I was in Canterlot, but she was out of town. Elytra I know where she is. In Ponyville, same as Zecora, so I'll talk to them both once I'm back home...I'll speak to Casta and Maud once I'm in Canterlot."

"And your orphaned siblings?" She put out a hand. "You left them for the same reason and the same pony. Do you plan on reaching out to them?"

"Of course. I plan on doing it when I get to Canterlot as well. Honestly, I was thinking about it before we met on this mission anyway." Skystrike admitted as he leaned back. "You know Astral?" Tethys nodded. "That's my sister. The scar she has is from when the orphanage burned down. Had to drag her out."

"...Holy shit, Skystrike." Tethys grabbed her horns, astounded.

"Yeah, I know, I fucked up bad. I waited to say anything to her in case I died up there... I didn't want to come back just to die again. Told you because I... couldn't really avoid not telling you."

"...Can't you transform?" Tethys asked.

"I lied to you since I met you already. Doubling down wouldn't have made it better..."

Once again. Silence. Moments passed before Tethys asked her next question. "...Is- is running away your way of making things better? Just removing yourself from the situation. We still hurt even after you leave.

Skystrike frowned. Then sighed. "...Call it running if you wish. You and everyone else was in danger because of me. Logic demands I be taken out of the equation." He then put his hooves out, motioning to Tethys. "And though I regret it, it admittedly worked. Even if though you all feel the pain you do, at least you're still alive..."

"And what about you? The pain you go through?"

Skystrike thought about it. He didn't want to answer it. But he made a promise. He owes it to her. "...My pain... I don't think my pain matters. The ones around me matter more than anything I will go through. Sure, even with you, me, and everyone in All, we all started, agreeing that it was simply for mutual benefit. But we all grew to care for each other. It doesn't matter what happens to me. I'd die for each and every one of you, and almost everyone else that I call friend."

"And everyone's feelings about what happens to you doesn't matter? The grief we go through when you die doesn't matter?"

"Of course it matters, but eventually, for both you and the orphanage, the danger of me still being there outweighed the grief you all would go and have went through. The choice I made was the best decision I could've at the time." Skystrike turned his head as he spoke that last sentence. He hated how he had to say it.

"Why was that the best one!?" The room grew colder as Tethys released cold air from her mouth and nostrils, standing as she looked down on Skystrike.

Skystrike's eyes burned white in response. "Because I wasn't strong enough!" He raised his voice as he stood up. "Every enemy I made, they went after those I loved! They put their lives in danger! Your life in danger! All because I wasn't strong enough! I could've been better! I could've protected you!"

Tethys pulled him into a hug, wrapping her arms and tails around. "We want to protect you too, Skystrike. You don't realize how much you mean to everyone... Look, I said this before, but I don't think I can forgive you for that, but… just don’t leave again, alright?”

Skystrike moved his hoof. He hesitated. But he returned her hug. Even if her body was cold, the hug felt... warm. He smiled. "You have my word"

Author's Note:

Had to redo this one a couple of times, but here it is. The end of what I'll call the "Magelight Arc". Hope you all enjoyed it.

Obviously I plan on having Skystrike looking meeting up with those from his past to be able to confront it. trying to make him grow a bit as a person and pony. Once was able to make this chapter comparatively shorter than my last few ones.

Next chapter will be loaded, I will say. Skystrike meeting his brothers and sisters all grown up, meeting old friends, and an old enemy, and even an unlikely face to try and make amends and find out the truth.