• Published 20th Oct 2018
  • 10,302 Views, 159 Comments

A Broken Warrior - Stonehearth



A boy was made to be the ultimate weapon. In an attempt to escape his fate, he found himself in a land of ponies, dragons, and changelings. Will he be able to find peace, or will his fate catch up to him?

  • ...
38
 159
 10,302

Open Mind

After falling asleep on the train, Skystrike's consciousness awoke in his dreams, the princess of the night waiting for him. They stood across from each other in a sea of stars. "Alright... I guess you got some questions. Shoot."

Luna walked a bit closer. "Well, we wish to start by asking why you've been blocking our enterance into your nightmares, as well as how."

He sighed. "Hard ones already? Damn..." He chuckled before rolling his neck. "For the how, I just wall off my mind, if that makes sense." He looked to Luna, who shook her head. "Think of it like... when a pony has mind reading magic. You'd think of many things at once so they can't get to your true thoughts. You could also just not think. I do both. The parts of my mind you try to enter are just thoughts of nothing."

"...and why does thou block me from saving you from your nightmares?" She layed down and crossed her forehooves.

"That... you won't like the answer... I've done many things I'm not proud of. I let my nightmares happen to serve as a punishment... By my own morals, I don't think I'm worthy of being saved." Skystrike admitted.

Luna stayed silent for a moment. "I... understand how you feel. I think the same for when I was Nightmare Moon."

"That's the thing Luna, you think you do, but you can't. Nopony can. In your case, you fell to temptation. You put your hilt on the sword and drew it. In the end, you sheathed it." Skystrike looked down at his hoof and clenched it. "I did the same, but that sword it still drawn. Now, I'm just fighting the urge to stab." He shook his hoof. "But you want more concrete answers. You want to see my nightmares. But if you want that, I'll need you to do something for me."

Luna thought about what he said. She was at least willing to hear him out. "What is it you wish for?"

Skystrike sighed as he sat down and leaned forward. "When we first met, you were NIghtmare Moon. I did make a sort of promise that night. I said I'd be her friend. That still applies now. I bring this up, because I have a bit of a theory." He started. Luna's eyes widened a bit. "When you gave in to that power a millenia ago, it made an alter ego, that being Nightmare Moon. Meaning you two are seperate minds, sharing one body. While here, I ask that you two split. So you both can experience what I'm about to show you."

Luna stood up. "...Thou are frightening sometimes." She said as her eyes turned a blinding white light. Skystrike covered his eyes with a hoof, opening them moments later to see two ponies like he prediccted. Both Luna and Nightmare Moon stood infront of him.

Nightmare aproached him, looking down at him in a mix of fustration and confusion. "...Why did you release me? Do you realize she keeps me locked away for a reason!?"

Skystrike stood up and turned around. "If you really wanted to, you'd have done something already, if not try to sway Luna again. You won't admit it, but you enjoy the life she's living. At least some what. Well... there's more to it than that. Let me show you..." Skystrike made a grabbing motion in front of him with his hoof. A door was made out of nothingness steming from the door knob he was holding. With a twist, the door opened. He motioned the two in, who looked at each other.

Luna began to speak. "Normally... we'd say not to interfere with his dream, but I don't believe either of us have the power."

"...For once, we agree." Nightmare growled before the two entered, Skystrike following behind and closing the door. Once through, Luna and Nightmare saw nothing but void. An endless expanse of black. Nightmare turned to ask Skystrike, who was no longer behind them.

Luna snapped her head to her alter ego. "What did you do!?"

"I haven't done anything!" Nightmare defended herself. She was about to say something else before the two were interupted by the sound of screaming behind them. They looked to see a burning building, a filly being thrown out and landing next to some mare. They called out Skystrike's name before the building collapsed in on itself. The space around them warped, pulling them into the rubble. The debris around them disappeared, the only thing they were able to see was Skystrike, lying unconsious under the remaining visible debris. Skystrike, Luna, and Nightmare all heard a mocking laugh of a colt. The princesses looked around, but couldn't find the source of the sound.

"This is one of the most recent ones." Skystrike said from under the debris. "I was sixteen, and it was the day of the gala. I don't regret saving them, and I don't necessarily regret faking my death. The outcome I wanted was acheived." He admitted.

"...What dost thou mean?" Luna asked.

"Well, I lived through this. But I stayed 'dead' because I thought it was safer for those around me. This was the second to last attack that happened, to my knowledge, on my friends and family." Skystrike explained. "I've... mostly gotten over this one, but I guess this still isnt satisfactory for you, is it?" He looked up at Luna. She stayed silent. "Alright, further back it is."

The reality around them warped once again, Skystrike dissapearing while Luna and Nightmare stayed in place. Luna stood back up when they arived at the next scene. They stopped in a desert, feeling the heat of the scorching sun above them. The two looked around again, stopping when they saw something stand out.

It was Skystrike. Battered, bloodied, and bruised. One of his wings was limp, and he was dragging a hind leg. But what caught them off guard was is face. "He... He's crying..." Nightmare said as she walked towards him. She stuck a hoof out to touch him, only for it to pass through him like a ghost

Skystrike kept walking. They looked at his destination to see the changeling hive. The pegasus limped inside, disappearing from their sight. The scene changed once again, this time, Skystrike being in what they assumed to be the throne room. Countless changelings surrounded him, with one sitting on the throne. The princesses couldn't make out the faces of the changelings, or their queen, but they could hear what they were saying.

In the few interactions Luna had with changelings, she could tell they were cunning, ruthless, and always put eachother first. One of the hardest enemies to face. But the scene she was witnessing was far from what she knew them from. They were...divided. Some spoke in support of Skystrike, while others were speaking of him in distain, snarling and hissing at him as he approached the throne. The pegasus looked up at the throne. The figure on it spoke in a feminine voice. "...You left her to die..." She said through anger and sadness.

Skystrike tried to defend himself. "No... I... She told me to run... there was no way we could've won that fight..."

The figure stood up and blasted him with magic, sending him back a few feet. "DON'T GIVE ME THAT!" She said through tears. "You are a SOLDIER! You should've died with her if the battle was lost!"

"You know her better than I do... Khrusallis wouldn't have wanted that..."

Tears fell from her eyes, dropping onto her throne. "Don't you say her name, traitor!" She bared her fangs. "I should've never brought you here!" A few of the changelings tried to speak in Skystrike's defense. "QUIET!" The figure shouted. The hive obeyed. "Skystrike, mother has passed. As next of kin, I am now the queen of the changeling hive. And as queen, I hereby banish you from the hive." Some of the changelings cheered at this, but many growled. "Any who have any problem are welcome to join him in exile. Unless he plans to challenge me to the right of inheritance."

Skystrike thought about it for a moment... His eyes burned white with rage. Embers rose from the ground below him as the area around him grew hotter. "You... We lose our queen, your MOTHER, and you want to split this family apart MORE!? You think Khrusallis wanted this!? She'd want us to band closer together! And you're over here, feeding your lust for power!" His eyes were blinding at this point. Flames roared around his body, growing with his rage. "And you want to stand there, calling yourself a queen!? Tarnishing her title!?" His voice boomed, echoing through the walls of the hive. A few changelings even took a few steps back. Gritting his teeth, Skystrike shook his head, controling his emotions and dousing the flames around him. "No... I will not be in a hive like this... I'll leave by sundown..." He said before turning around and making his way back towards the entrance. Some of the changeling tried to talk him out of what he was doing, but they fell on deaf ears. He gathered the little he could and left, a small squad of changelings following behind him out of the hive.

Once he made it a good distance away, they abrubtly stopped, frozen in time. Luna and Nightmare flew to his side. Skystrike began speaking. "I was fourteen during this. Visiting the hive from time to time when I could. This was the last visit where I was welcomed..." He remorsed. "My mother, gone, my family, divided, and my sister hated me. I only left because it was for the best. I could've caused a civil war in the hive..."

Luna and Nightmare stood in front of him, the latter spoke first. "I think I understood what happened here..."

"The previous queen died... and It was my fault... We were ambushed... they new exactly how to counter both of us. She told me to run while she held them off... I should've stayed... she may have still been alive now..." He sighed.

"This is... much deeper an issue than I originally thought." Luna admitted.

"Well... there's one more I want you to see...." Skystrike said. "This one, you will get confused, so you'll have questions after. More than you already do, and I'll answer them all the best I can. I promise." One last time, reality warped around them. Again, Luna and Nightmare stayed where they were, while everything around them, including Skystrike disappeared.

When the world came to, they were seeing something no equestrian had seen before. They were in a room, each wall being a lab white. Luna and Nightmare were on the glass side of a one way window. In the middle of the room they were observing, a fight was going on. What confused and sickened them was the ones participating in the battle were all children. Well, they assumed they were children. They weren't ponies. They were- "Humans." Luna said to herself. When she returned to Equestria, she remembered her sister saying something about them, and how one appeared almost twenty years ago. Her description was spot on.

"12! 27! 29! 34!" The mares heard a voice emit from a speaker above them. "Put some effort into it! Remember! Your lives are on the line!"

Their eyes went wide in response to this. The children, also hearing this, began emitting magic of various types. Too much was going on for them to process. It was too much to take in. However, despite this, one of the children stood out. The one with dark skin and white hair was letting out magic at an astounding rate, the rest of the kids making an unspoken alliance to defend against him. Once the three were cornered, the dark skinned boy planted his feet and threw a large fireball at the others, turning them all into a large pile of ash.

"Well done 34! You'll be transported back to your cell shortly!" The voice said all too happy. 34 looked at where the other numbers once were, then down to his hands. Time stopped again, and their surroundings once again faded to black.

34 spoke in Skystrike's voice, signaling to Luna and Nightmare Moon that they were one in the same. "Here... I think this is where it started. When I started thinking... I knew once the last of my brothers and sisters were gone, that what I did was wrong. You didn't hear them, but the last thing one of them said was 'monster'... fitting, isn't it?" He gave a sad chuckle. Skystrike, still in the body of 34, waved his hand, changing the space back into a sea of stars. His body also changed, growing into an adult male. He stood taller than Nightmare Moon, her eyes meeting his chest. His muscular body out for the world to see, save for a cloak covering his body from waist to shins. His hair, not being cut in years, fell over his shoulders and onto his back.

Skystrike sat down. "Well, you can ask your questions now."

Luna asked first. "You... you aren't a pony, or a changeling... who... what are you?"

"I'm a human. The name I go by now is Skystrike Nebula. What I used to be called was 34." Skystrike put out a hand and rolled his wrist.

"Didn't Celestia say something about a human when we came back?" Nightmare turned to Luna, who nodded.

"Not surprised." Skystrike interupted. "When I first got here, didn't make a good first impression. Had to escape the capital and fight your sister. I'm guessing she's still looking for me."

"And you've been under her nose all these years... impressive." Nightmare grinned. "Now, a question of my own. How are you related to the changelings? And what happened to those that followed you?"

"I was taken in by the previous queen after my escape from Canterlot. The one you saw take the throne, was the one who pushed to let me in the hive in the first place. As for the changelings that followed, I did my best to find them homes elsewhere, in various cities in Equestria... I... cut contact when I faked my death." He sighed.

"Are you still in contact with any of the changelings?" Luna asked, sitting down. "And you were only a colt during that memory... what was your purpose when you lived along ponies?"

"Very few. I have a couple spies in the hive, just to make sure I'm up to date. For the second question, that's... a bit more personal, but since we're this far in, might as let it all out." Skystrike looked into Luna's eyes. "I made a promise to the late queen, Khrusallis. She wanted a future where ponies and changelings could live together. In her mind, I was someone perfect to make that dream a reality. I lived as a spy of sorts. I've lived both as a pony and changeling, so I was in charge of facilitating relations between the two races." He paused before continuing. "...Her dream would've been a reality if not for my banishment."

"...I'd like to ask you more questions about this with my sister present-" Luna began before being cut off.

"I refuse." Skystrike stated before elaborating. "It was her royal guards who attacked me and the late queen. Ask now or hold your silence. I will tell her on my own terms." He said this, more as a demand. Luna took the hint, knowing there wouldn't be a way to talk him out of this.

"My turn... Skystrike, what do you plan to do about her? Celestia I mean..." Nightmare began to grin.

"I will deal with her when the time comes. While I have lived alongside her as a pony and nephew, and while I have grown to appreciate her, I cannot forgive her for what she's done. The memory, I will show you at another time. For now, we will continue as we were. She doesn't need to know who I am."

"Then why did you tell us?" Luna furrowed her brow.

"Well... when we faught each other when Nightmare was in control... I was thinking about that. I realized that in some capacity, you both can relate to me. Trying to grow from a past we regret." He let out a sigh. "I wont ask what you went through those centuries ago. I just ask that you keep quiet about this for now."

Luna nodded. "I cannot promise I won't speak of this, but I will try to respect your wishes... Back at the gala... we heard the laughing of a colt that wasn't your voice... Do you know who it was?"

Skystrike thought back on it. His eyes flickered white. "Yes..." He seethed. "We grew up together in that orphanage. Some of those ponies were his brothers and sisters... not biologically, but you know what I mean. And he hurt them to get to me... I... he deserves what I will do to him."

"What's his name?" Luna asked.

"What do you plan to do to him?" Nightmare asked. Fitting.

"I'm keeping that to myself, it's part of the plan. He was a prime suspect for the fire, but there was never evidence to prove it was him. If you really want to know who he is, that should tell you all you need to find out." Skystrike stood up. "...as for what I plan to do... I will break his stolen pride, and make him admit to his crime... If he doesnt... then... well..." He clenched his fist. "It is not my place to judge and punish him. I will not do the makers will. I will, however, be the one to send him to them."

Nightmare hummed. "Hmm... I'd love to see it..."

Luna put a hoof on his hand. "We do not fully understand your pain, but we are no stranger to betrayal... your revenge... it's self serving, as all vengance is... it will not bring you any peace."

Skystrike kneeled down to be eye height with the princess of the night. "Luna... I'm sure you're right, and part of me wants to listen, but this is something I can't let go... He hurt others to get to me... that is unforgivable. It may not bring me peace, but in that moment... his pain will bring me pleasure."

She stayed quiet at that. Nightmare looked at him and gave a wide grin. "We are alike... makes me think on why you declined my offer those months ago."

He stood up and walked over to Nightmare, stopping in front of the alicorn. "Listen well, Nightmare Moon..." He leaned forward to look inter her eyes. "I will not act like I know your situation, because I don't. But at the very least, I know that we each had different reasons for our actions. Do not confuse my wrath with jealousy, nor my kindness for mercy." Skystrike rolled his neck and crossed his arms. "I offered to be your friend, because of my morals, and that we should have the chance to be somebody better than we once were. You've been given that chance, and I don't want you to waste it."

Nightmare moon growled at this, baring her fangs. "Shut your mouth, human! I don't need your pity! Do not act like you know who I am!"

"I wont, because that wouldn't be fair to you. It's wrong to judge ones character off of one interaction. Thus, I will allow your future actions to show who you are." Skystrike turned around. "First, get on better terms with Luna, then we'll figure out where to go from there. Getting back on track..." Skystrike looked to Luna. "Any more questions?"

Luna shook her head. "Uh... just a few more..." She stood up. "At the fire, you said that it was one of the more recent ones. What do you mean?"

Skystrike looked at her, then looked up into the void of a sky. "...There was another incident. Where my mercenary group 'All' got attacked. We were betrayed by a client. Things went south, quickly, and well... my friends almost died, and... I'll just show you next time... I've shared enough today. When I want to talk about it, you'll know."

Luna stood up. "We understand. We just have one last question... more a request..." She put a hoof on his chest. "We believe the reason you are telling us is because of the coming mission you've accepted. We are able to enter ones dreams, and feel the dreamers emotions after all." She looked Skystrike in the eyes, who avoided eye contact. "Make sure that thou comes back alive."

Skystrike nodded. "I plan to." He gave a faint smile.

Luna gave one of her own. "Nightmare, it's time for us to depart." Nightmare side eyed Skystrike before walking to the princess, who waved a hand at her. She turned her head up at that. She'd come around eventually. Luna's eyes flashed a blinding light once again, their surroundings turning white. Skystrike covered his eyes again.


When he openned his eyes, he was awake. "Well that was fucking weird." He said to himself.

"Your brain signaled hightenned activity last night. I assume that Luna visited your dreams?" Echo spoke.

"Yeah, we talked a bit about my past. I need to face it sooner or later." Skystrike admitted.

Be careful who you share information too. We are not certain who we can trust. Echo warned.

"I know, I know... but I have to take the risk for now. If things work out, then I'll gain a great ally."

"And if it fails?"

Skystrike stayed silent for a moment before responding. "Then my original plan remains the same."

"Noted." Echo said in monotone. "We will arrive at the Vanhoover train station in thirty minutes. I suggest getting ready."

Skystrike hummed in agreement as he stood up. He looked around the train car, making sure everything was packed securely. Food rations, blankets, clothes, flasks of various potions, and some extra stuff that would come in later. He'd already rented a large wagon for transportation of his materials and the hostages. He hoped that they could hold out a bit longer.

The train whistled when he arrived, signalling it was his time to get off. He stretched once the train stopped and started moving his luggage out of his train car, getting on his hind legs and picking up a barrel under each of his arms, placing them on the train platform. On his second trip out, placing down a crate of blankets, Skystrike noticed a few ponies staring at him and muttering between themselves. He ignored them a bit, going back in his train car to grab another crate, being careful with this one due to the fragile contents inside. Each time he came back out the car, the crowd ponies eyeing him grew bigger.

It wasn't new to him, but it has been a while since his last mission. This was the norm for him. He assumed that one part of the stares was how massive he was for a pony, being about double the size he should be for a stallion. His heavy armor, making him look bigger added to it. He knew that a part of the stares was the name he made for himself.

A stallion walked up to him. "Uh... excuse me..." He said nervously.

Skystrike turned to look at him. "Hey, how can I help you?"

The stallion took a moment to form his words. "Well... We just want to know what's going to happen. Since you're here, well... you know..." Despite being known as 'Atlas Nebula' by the public, and being known for his combat ability and mission success rate, he was also known as the pony you call when you have no other options. Basically, shit was about to get real.

"Don't worry. I'm just in Vanhoover to take a quick pit stop. The train doesnt go to where I need, so I have to walk from here." Skystrike assured the stallion. "Actually, if you can point me in the right direction to get to the Great Luna Bay, that'd be great."

The stallion nodded. "Just follow main street and go north." He said as he pointed.

"Thanks." Skystrike said as he sat down next to his stuff. Now, he had to wait for the wagon he rented. Somepony would deliver it to him. He looked at the rising sun. About eight in the morning. They should be coming soon. Once the stallion went back into the crowd, some of them left to continue with their days. Others still stayed. He paid them no mind. After some time, a group of three ponies aproached him.

Once the mare leading them introduced herself as the owner of the wagon rental company, the two stallions behind her began moving Skystrike's items onto the wagon. After telling them to be careful, and finalizing the contract, specifying the cost per day, Skystrike hitched himself to the wagon and started pulling, making his way down the road. The stallion said head north on main street. After a few minutes of walking, he realized how heavy the wagon was. It was big enough to fit about eight ponies, as well as all his luggage on the underside. It'd be even heavier carrying more ponies on his way back.

He sighed, thinking about what he was going to have to deal with, but shook the worry away with a head shake. As he walked north on the city road, the road slowly turned to gravel as he got closer to the edge of the city. Once there, he grabbed his lunchbox and began to eat while he walked. Taking a sniff of his sandwich and about to bite into it, he was inturupted by somepony.

"Hey! Excuse me!" The voice said alongside the sounds of clopping hooves. Nothing out of the ordinary, but what caught him off guard was the voice itself. It sounded... familiar. But at the same time, not. Like when he first met up with his childhood friends in Ponyville. He could recognize the voice, it just sounded older. More mature. He held his breath as he turned around.

A unicorn mare. A few years younger than him by the looks. She had a light lavender coat, and a straight mane and tail of peach, purple, and pink. Her magenta eyes met the blue ones from his helmet. For clothing, she wore the the same armor that a royal guard wore, save for it being silver in color, and the lack of a helmet. He ignored the rest of her equipment for now, focusing on the mare. 'Astral...' he thought to himself. It was Astral Night. His younger sister of about two years. Last he saw her was when he faked his death. It's been eight years since he saw her.

Skystrike was feeling a lot of things. Most of what he was feeling was varying forms of happiness. Astral looked like she was doing well. She grew up well, and took care of herself. Most of all, he was glad to see her again. Of course, he was also feeling not so good things. The pain of missing out. The regret of leaving. The remorse of the pain he made her go through. But what hurt him most is that he couldn't reveal himself.

Sure he revealed his identity to his friends in Canterlot, but that's different. Minuette, Twinkle Shine, and Lemon Hearts might tell ponies, but nopony would really believe them. Astral Night would definitely tell somepony, and they would believe her. But that was the least of his worries. He's caused too much pain to her and the others at the orphanadge. Coming back now wouldn't ease their pain, only increase it.

Skystrike finished thinking to himself before responding to her, keeping calm to not give himself away. "Good morning. How can I help you?"

She stopped in front of him, catching her breath. "I'm... Astral Night. Nice to meet you!" She said between breaths, putting out her hoof. "Glad I caught you before you left."

Skystrike shook her hoof. "Atlas Nebula, but you probably new that." He greeted her. "So, what do you need?"

"Well, I just got here from Canterlot by train. I was asking around, and it turns out we both have to go to Great Luna bay! Was hoping we could travel together. It'd make the trip safer and much quicker."

Skystrike blinked. He needed to make sure. "...Exactly what business do you have to do up there?"

"A pony there sent a request for help. A few ponies went missing in a village starting up, scary stuff... I saw their notice and took the job." She explained.

Skystrike's heart fell into his stomach. He could just tell, she had no idea what she was getting into. He looked at Astral's gear. Standard armor, a short sword, some throwing daggers, and a large backpack of what he assumed essentials. She was prepared for what she assumed she needed to prepare for, not what she actually needed to prepare for. "I see... You know, I didn't think a young mare like yourself would take a job like this one."

She puffed out her chest. "Well... I'm a lot stronger than I look." She smiled before it fell a bit. "And... there's another reason that's a bit more personal... I had a brother who'd help out ponies when he could. Figured this was my chance to do the same."

Skystrike smiled a bit at that. Then sighed. Just from that, he knew he wouldn't be able to talk Astral out of going. "Fair enough. Going to the same place anyway. Hop inside, it's a three day trip, but I plan on doing it in two."

Astral smiled at him. "Thanks!" She hopped in his wagon before Skystrike started walking while eating. "Wow, you got a lot of stuff in here..." Astral looked around. "Seems like you bought a lot more stuff than you'd need to find missing ponies... what do you need these spears for?"

Skystrike finished chewing the bite of his sandwich he took. "I'm not sure how much research on the area you did, but there could be some dangerous things up there. I'd rather be over prepared."

"What do you mean? What should I know?"

Skystrike cleared his throat before speaking. "Knowledge is power, Astral. We have the chance to know what's going to happen before we get there. What you should know is that this isn't a simple missing pony case. Don't quote me on this, but there is a very high chance that this is a hostage situation. Something took those ponies hostage."

"Oh..." She said. "Shit..."

"Yeah, and sadly, it gets worse." Skystrike continued. "They put up a notice, which is how they got you to go up there. Different from my case. A pony from that settlement went to day court to tell Celestia privately, then she came to me. Preparing for the worst, that means the one who made the notice and the one who went to the princess are two different ponies. One of us is being set up."

"That's... very concerning if you're right. But at the same time, those are just hypotheticals, right?" Astral poked her head out the front of the wagon.

"Well, yes, it is a hypothetical, but I'll be proven right or wrong when we get there. Whoever is in charge there will only be expecting you. Not me as well." Skystrike explained as he pulled the wagon. he rolled his neck then looked back at Astral. "I'll think of a plan for either scenarios. For now, save your strength. I ask that you keep watch tonight."

Astral nodded. "I can do that no problem... though if I can ask you something, you're being pretty considerate of me. Don't get me wrong, I apreciate it, but the last groups I went with were nowhere near as nice. I guess I'm just... asking why?"

Skystrike looked down at the ground, then straight ahead. "Well... two reasons really. When you work a job like mine, and as long as I have... when you take away the lives of many, deserving or not, you realize how much life is worth living... how lucky you are to be able to breathe the next day. We have the gift of life. No telling if we'll make it back this time. You still have the chance to turn around right now."

Astral sat down, looking at the scenery around her. "...Admittedly, I didn't think of it like that. My brother... he was a big role model for me. Put others first before himself. Some of his last words to me was to help those that need it. I... I want to honor his memory, so I took this job. He'd do it." She said the last part with a waver is her voice. Little did she know.... "I also want to help my younger siblings. I took over some of what he did when he passed. Times are a bit hard right now, and I need the money... What was your second reason?"

"...Really noble of you... My second reason, well... I made a promise. Seeveral actually..." Skystrike looked back at Astral. "I promised two ponies as a colt that I'd use my power to help others. To protect others. And I promised myself that I would help others, like I wish I was helped when I was at my lowest."

"And you say I'm noble." She giggled. "...you remind me of him, my brother I mean. You're much different from the rumors that ponies say, you know."

"Ah... well, I'm honored... I wont ask about him, I know the pain of loss too well. And what's this about rumors?" He raised an eyebrow from under his helmet.

"Well, ponies say you're an asshole, to be honest. The few ponies you did missions with said you were controlling. Then the ones you denied working with obviously think the same." Astral leaned back in her seat. "Speaking with you now, I can see it was somewhat out of worry. Then, there are the rumors saying you're some blood thirsty killer, and a battle maniac, but those aren't as popular."

"You're mostly right on the first half. I get that I come off as an ass sometimes. Well, probably most times. The killer part is definitly warranted. There were times where I have had to kill, and ponies knew it was me, they just couldn't prove it, so I got away with few charges. I may be entirely wrong about this, but many ponies just don't understand that some beings have to die if others want to live. I do my best to make sure I only kill those deserving."

Her ears perked up at that. "...and what would make one deserving of death?"

"Well, I think my way of thinking is fair. When somepony does something wrong, most times, punishing them is rarely a deterent. In fact, most times, it just alerts them to be sneakier about it. So, if you're understanding me so far, and this is where many would disagree, instead of punishing them, you have to make them experience what they did wrong. This way, they know the pain they put somepony else through, and would most likely not do it again. Personally, just from what I've experienced, even that isnt enough. Sometimes I have to go farther...."

Astral thought about that to herself for a few minutes. "That... makes logical sense, but I'm not entirely sure I agree with all of it. So basically an eye for an eye?"

"More or less. Obviously, it changes from situation to situation, but that sums it up. As an example, I was given a bounty to hunt a bandit. He started out as a thief, then it turned to torture. Then... he was about to kill a stallion before I caught him. In that moment, no punishment would've made him stop, so I decided to kill him, so the bandit couldn't harm any others. I didn't want to take the chance on 'he might learn better'."

"Fair enough. I say that, but I haven't had to... take the life of another yet."

"Hope you never have to." Skystrike finished as he kept walking.


Sunrise quickly turned to sunset as Skystrike and Astral traveled north. His body was a bit tired from pulling his stuff all this way, so he was currently looking for a place to rest. The grassy plains grew colder as they ventured further nortth, Skystrike even seeing a snow storm further ahead.

Astral saw the same. "We should set up camp now. No telling if the storm will come to us. "

Skystrike nodded and slowed to a stop. "Was just thinking that. There's a crate in there marked 'camp'. Can you bring that out for me?"

Astral nodded. She looked around and found the labeled crate. She used her magic to try and pick it up, only being able to get it a few inches off the ground before releasing it, landing with a thump that shoot the whole wagon. "Jeez... what's all in here!?"

"Uh..." Skystrike picked his memory. "Pots and pans, silverware, some firewood, a perimeter alarm. You know, the basics. Need help?" Skystrike took himself out of the harness he had on.

"No... I got it... and what about a perimeter alarm?" The asked before holding her breath and flaring her magic, forcing the box out the wagon and onto the grass with a huff.

"The perimeter alarm is exactly how it sounds. I set the perimeter, and it makes a noise when anything crosses from the outside. Grab it for me. It looks like a grey rod." He gave a description as he stretched a bit. Astral found it, using her magic to float the rod over. Skystrike took it out of the air, stabbed it into the ground, and made a twisting motion. As he twisted, a thin white spherical barrier passed through him, Astral, and the wagon, stopping it once it was about ten meters in diameter. After that, he walked over to the box, stood on his hind legs, and picked up the crate to move it towards the center of their camp.

"...How did you get that strong?" Astral asked, walking beside him. "And why do you stand like that? It looks uncomfortable."

"For your first question, proper consistent training of the body and mind, as well as constant life or death situations. For your second, with how my armor was made, It's much easier to stand like this for long periods of time, so not too uncomfortable. As to the why, It keeps my front hooves free, and I don't have to carry a weapon in just one hoof, or in my mouth. With how many ponies fight anyway, they get on their hind legs. Mostly though, it's because I built my fighting style around it as a dual swordsman." Skystrike put down the crate. "Actually, I'll give you a quick demonstration. It's easier to show it rather than explain."

"I-... I'm not sparing with you... I don't wanna die." Astral shrunk down a little.

"Oh, no, I wouldn't ask you to do that." He walked to the wagon and got his swords. He got a good grip on them as he walked back to the mare. "So, these blades are custom made. Take a look at one." He put a hoof out, offering her a blade.

Astral took it, taking it out of the scabbard and looking at the blade. She could tell that it kept an edge well, but there were a few things that stuck out to her. "What's with the massive hole near the tip? Seems like a bad idea. And the hilt that looks like a dragon?"

"The hole, normally you'd be right, it would be a structural weakness for normal blades. These two swords were made specifically to have magic gemstones where the holes are, to increase the strength of the blades and give them magical effects. I just don't have the gemstones, so they've stayed empty." He explained, taking the scabbard off the sword in his hooves and giving it a few practice swings, it making a whistling sound. "It also makes a certain noise. If you swing the blade straight and hard, it makes a loud whistling sound, telling you that you swung right, and your foes get intimidated too sometimes."

"And the hilts?"

"The hilts are the heads of dragons because I see dragons as the embodiment of strength. It is in the nature of a dragon to be strong. And I need my blades to be strong enough to rely on. Symbolism basically. Now, let me show you what I meant earlier."

Skystrike, still on his hind hooves twisted his body to stretch a bit before twirling his sword and getting into a low stance. "So, my fighting style, as a pegasus and especially a swordsman, focuses on speed. To generate the maximum force I can, I use all of my upper body, and when I make contact, I transfer the force to my upper body, since as a stallion, my center of mass is in my chest." He flapped his wings, just enough where he was flying a few inches off the ground. "With my style, I fly towards foes..." He flew a few feet forward. "As I approach, I begin my swing. It differs depending on what direction I'm flying. In this case, I'm flying forward, so I do a horizontal, overhead, or underhoof swing. Let's go with a horizontal for now." He made a slow swing from side to side, then stopped mid swing. "The moment my sword should make contact, I plant my back hooves into the ground, so I can transfer all the force my sword takes through my body." He did so and finished the rest of his sword swing. "Now, here's what it looks like when put into motion..." He combined his explaination into one, fluid motion, flying forward, planting his hooves and swinging his sword in less than a second. His sword howled as it cut through the air.

"I think I get it." Astral grabbed the sword in her hooves, nearly dropping it at the weight. "Sheesh... you make it look easy... and that sound is intimidating." She gave a small laugh.

"I'd say learn some swordsmanship if you havent already." He put his sword back in his scabbard before walking to the crate he put down earlier. "I say that since you know... most unicorns focus too much on magic, and not so much on their body."

"Yeah, I get it. I will admit im not in the shape I wish to be, and while I don't know how to use a sword, I do know how to use knives pretty well." She turned to her side, showing the dagger on her side and the throwing knives in a harness around her back leg.

"...You know, I never did ask how you fight." Skystrike pulled out some cocking supplies from the crate and started a small fire.

"So... I guess by definition I'm a spell sword? I mostly use magic attacks, but my knives have special effects enchanted to them. Some channel my magic into what they stick to, some dispel magic, and some cast a spell when thrown. All of them can only be used a few times before I have to recharge their magic."

"And what type of magic can you use?" He began heating a pot

Astral walked towards Skystrike to give back his sword. "I specialize in alteration and enchanting. My weapons and armor were all enchanted by yours truly!" She boasted a bit.

"Is that so? Very impressive. I've tried making my own enchantments, so I know it's hard. And for alteration, any specific spells you know? Could come in handy later." Skystrike grabbed a large container of soup and poured it in the pot to heat it up.

"Um..." Astral thought for a moment. "Well, alteration spells rarely are meant to harm. It's more meant to be a supportive type of magic. Notable ones I can cast Candlelight, Strengthening, Swift, Detect Life, and Paralyze."

"Those can definitely come in handy. I'll make a mental note of that. I'll ask you to go into more detail tomorrow." Skystrike got two wooden bowls and poured soup into each of them. "For now, eat. We leave at sunrise. I plan on making it to our destination by noon."

She took the bowl and looked at it. "Oh, Fennel Carrot Soup! I love this..." She put a spoonful in her mouth and hummed. "...Reminds me of home a bit... You know, I told you a bit about my past, but I know nothing about yours. It's only fair."

Skystrike stopped mid bite. "...My past is not a happy one. It's full of wrath, abandonment, betrayal, and regret. If you want the short version, I ran from one life, found a new one, was betrayed by my sister, found a new one again, then was forced away from that one. I'd rather not talk about it..." Skystrike said.

Astral could tell from the scratch marks on his bowl from the metal claws that it was best to not bring the subject up. "Okay... I'll leave you be then..." She said awkwardly.

The two continued their meal in silence. Once done, Skystrike got up, and put his bowl next to the now empty cooking pot. "Are you still hungry?" Skystrike asked. Astral shook her head an response. "Alright. Leave the bowl and utensils next to the pot. I'll make something quick in the morning. We'll start moving a bit after your shift is over. I hope you don't mind sleeping in the wagon."

Astral shook her head. "I'll be fine. Will you be? That's only like six hours of sleep."

Skystrike nodded. "I need to get it now while I can. Things will get crazy when we get there." With that, he climbed inside the wagon and sat down, leaning his back on the wall and closing his eyes. After a few minutes, He fell asleep.


He awoke to the sound of light beeping. Openning his eyes, he saw that Echo set an alarm for him to about one in the morning. Looking through the overlay of his helmet, there was nothing out of the ordinary, besides the temperature dropping lower than it should've. He walked out to see Astral huddled under a light blanket, reading a book.

She looked back at him, yawning. "That time?" She stood up and made her way towards the wagon, but pausing next to Skystike. "Also... I want to say sorry about earlier, Nebula."

"Don't worry about it. Get some rest. I'll wake you when we get there." Skystrike walked by her and began cleaning up camp. Astral looked back at him before climbing in the wagon and going to sleep. He made himself and Astral a couple of sandwiches before finishing the cleaning and putting everything back in the crate. He moved the crate back into the wagon, then sat down to eat his sandwiches. Once finished, he did his daily excersizes, then hitched himself back to the wagon, and began walking again.

He checked the time in his overlay, nearly 2 a.m. He looked ahead, seeing that the storm from yesterday moved closer towards him. He estimated it was about two hours away, but couldn't estimate how thick the snow storm was. He kept a constant pace, saving his energy for the road ahead. Skystrike felt the air biting at him as it got colder, speeding up in response. The sooner he was out of the cold, the better.

As his trot turned into a gallop, he thought on why the weather was like this. No way that any pagasi would bring this many clouds out here for this long. There was also no way they just had this many clouds transported to their start up village. He'd need to find the source of the storm once he arrived. Thankfully, it only took about ninety minutes to get through the storm. He slowed down to a walk to catch his breath. Skystrike shook some snow of himself and out of the nooks and crannies of his armor. Cracking his neck, he sped up back to a trot.

Finally, after a few hours more of travel, they arrived. It was a small village, as expected. About a dozen log cabins of of various sizes. What was odd to him was that despite it being noon, and it being a bright, cool day, there were no ponies around. Taking a closer look at the houses, the curtains on the windows were closed, and the lights were off. He'd need to figure exactly what was going on here.

He parked the wagon to the side of the dirt path and went to wake Astral up, who was sprawled out on the floor, back on the ground. Some of her limbs stuck out from under the blanket. She was always a messy sleeper. Skystrike nudged her awake with a hoof. "Snrk... huh? What?" She pushed herself up and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. "We... we're there already?"

"I said I'd do it in two days." Skystrike helped her up. "I need you here. They're expecting you, not me. Plus, you look much more approachable than me."

She nodded and the two climbed out, Skystrike leading the way. After making a few turns, they stopped infront of a two story cabin with a large set of double doors. Skystrike put a hoof out to signal Astral to stop, then a hoof up to his helmet to be quiet. He noticed earlier that dozens of sets of hoof steps came from the other cabins and lead to this one and stopped. "Cast a detect life spell and tell me what you see." He whispered.

She closed her eyes, focusing magic and casting the spell. When Astral opened her eyes, they were a bright red. From her view, red auras were surrounded every living being, making a silhouette. She looked at Skystrike to make sure she casted it correctly, then inside the building. "There's a large mass of life in there. They're all huddled together, so I cant exactly tell what is in there.... or how many..."

Skystrike nodded. His best course of action as of now would be to sneak inside, and to be certain of who was in there. "I'll find a way inside. If it sounds like anything bad happens while I'm inside, break down the door." Astral nodded. Skystrike flew onto the roof and landed next to a skylight at the back of the cabin, pointing towards the forest. He found it odd that it was already unlocked, and rather large...

He ignored it for now, opening the skylight and climbing in. Being careful to watch his step, trying to make as little noise as possible, he opened the attic door and climbed down a ladder leading to the second floor. A long hallway beckoned him to go down it. He did so, being the only way for him to go. The stallion was about to round a corner leading to the indoor balcony, but stopped to hug the wall. He peeked the corner to see a few dozen ponies of various types and ages, huddled together, as it to protect one another. Some even had weapons.

Now the harder part. He went back behind the corner and back outside the cabin. If they really were defending themselves from dragons, his face... well helmet, probably wasn't the best for them to see under high stress. He made his way back outside and landed next to Astral. "Knock on the door, introduce yourself. Some of them have weapons, so back up a bit when they open the door."

Astral nodded and did so, knocking on the door. "Um... Hello? My name is Astral Night, I'm here for your request to look for some missing ponies? Is anypony there?"

Astral and Skystrike heard the sounds of hoof steps approaching the door, it creaking open slowly. A spear came out first, then a navy unicorn stallion with a black and white stripped mane and tail. The two were already far enough back where the spear couldn't reach. "...There's two of you... I only paid for one pony."

"You only need to pay for one. I'm here for my own reasons." Skystrike stepped forward. "I assume you're the village head here?"

The stallion pointed his spear at Skystrike's neck. "Who sent you here!?"

Skystrike furrowed his brow. "That information that I'm not willing to give out, especially to somepony who's pointing their weapon at me."

Astral stopped the situation from escalating any more, pushing the spear down with a hoof. "Lets calm down... Nebula is here with me. We met by chance on our way here. I promise he wont get in the way of my investigation."

The stallion looked at her, then glared at Skystrike. "Very well... I am Magelight. Now get inside, and quickly." He opened the door, signaling the two in. They followed, Magelight closing the door behind them. The three turned around to see the rest of the ponies inside.

"Jeez... do you have the whole village in here?" Astral asked rhetorically.

"Yes." Magelight answered. "Alright, everyone! All clear! They're ponies!" Magelight called out the the ponies inside. They could hear the wave of relief that washed over the residents. The residents left in groups to go back to their homes.

"What happened here? Why was everypony huddled together here?" Astral asked.

Magelight looked back to Astral and Skystrike. "I'll tell Astral... Nebula, I ask you to leave."

"Makes sense. I'll see you two later." Skystrike turned to leave before whispering something in Astral's ear. "Something is off about that stallion. Play it safe." He said, walking past and closing the door behind him. A few ponies were walking about and talking between eachother. He jumped up into the air and began flying. It'd be best to survey the area first. Seventeen houses in total. The head's house was closest to the forest. There were few trees within the confines of the village. Nothing really notable about the place. One thing he did notice was a pony waving him down. As Skystrike approached, the pony ducked behind a house, furthest from the head's.

Landing on the ground, Skystrike saw a vanilla colored hoof wave him in. "Quick, before anypony else sees!" A mare's voice said. Skystrike went inside and closed the door. The vanilla colored pony lit a lantern, lighting up the room and the six ponies inside. "Thank Celestia you're here... well literally!" She gave a nervous laugh.

Skystrike looked at the ponies around the room, then at her. "I assume you're the one that went to tell Celestia?"

"Yes! I have to say, when I asked for help, I didn't expect them to send you! This makes things so much better!" She hugged him, then let go of him. "Sorry... just-... you have no idea how happy we are for you to be here..."

"I'm flattered. So, who are you all? And why are we being so secretive?" Skystrike sat down, waiting for an answer.

"Sorry about that, we should introduce ourselves. I'm Opal!" The vanilla unicorn with an aqua and celeste mane and tail spoke.

The earth pony stallion next to her spoke next, who had a charcoal coat with a silver mane and tail, the tips of his hair ending in the colors of the rainbow. "Bismuth." He gave a nod.

Another earth pony stallion with an orange coat and white mane and tail spoke next. "I'm Emerald Green, but just call me Emerald.

A pegasus mare with a grey coat and silver mane and tail put up a hoof. "Hey, I'm Silverspeed."

A unicorn mare waved at Skystrike. "I'm Spelunk." She greeted. Spelunk had a brown coat and a deep grey mane and tail.

Lastly, a pegasus stallion jittered when it was his turn. He was clearly anxious. "I'm... I'm Stormfeather..." He said weakly. He had a bluish gray coat with a light yellow mane and tail.

Skystrike wanted to ask if he was ok, but was cut of by Opal answering his second question. "And we're the ones who hired you! Well... I say hired, but you I went to the princesses with a request for help. She said she'd find somepony, and that we didn't need to pay."

Skystrike nodded. "And that pony is me it seems. And no, I won't ask you to pay. I assume there's a reason that you and Magelight hired separate ponies?"

The mood fell a bit. Bismuth scoffed. "He was the one trying to stop us from asking for help ourselves... Something's off about that stallion."

Skystrike leaned forward. "Elaborate."

Bismuth straightened himself and nodded. "We wanted to call for help when the first pony went missing, my sister Agate disappeared from the mine almost two weeks ago. I saw... something take her... I ran after it, but it outran me..." He dug his hooves into the ground. "He wouldn't believe me... saying she just got lost. Nopony believed until the next ones disappeared."

Silverspeed spoke next. "My sister, Goldwork was next. Same way as Agate. Just... disappeared in the mines. She was part of the search party that went looking for Agate, but she got split up from the group." She looked down. "That was when Opal went to the princesses..."

"It worked... you're here. When I came back, I was told that mining operations would be on hold until somepony came to investigate what happened to the missing ponies. But while I was gone... two more ponies disappeared. Emerald and Spelunk's sisters."

Spelunk sniffed, thinking back to the day her sister disappeared. "Quarry and Ruby, both on the same day. Just went into the forest to have a picnic... We know something took them, but Magelight denies it... We heard their screams echoing through the trees." Her tears fell on the floor. Silverspeed moved to hug her.

Opal sighed and continued. "The night after I returned, my sister, Jasper, went to the mine to see what happened in the middle of the night... She didn't come back. That was three days ago. Then..." Opal looked to Stormfeather. "His sister was the most recent one..."

"...When was this?" Skystrike asked.

"Yesterday night..." Stormfeather answered. "We... we were flying above the forest, moving the clouds away, and... something... something... big took her... Just swooped in from under the clouds and took her. The storm was too thick to follow it, but it went toward the mine."

"I'm... sorry I didn't come sooner..." Skystrike lowered his head. "You have my word that I will do everything in my power to get your sisters back and protect this village. I know you all asked for me... but I do need your help with a few things for this investigation."

Bismuth sat up from the wall he was leaning on. "Ask."

"First, somepony needs to check the food stores. I want to know if there's anything off about the count. Second, ask around town, figure out who heard from who that Goldwork got split up from the group. Third, there has to be some night owls in this village. Ask them if they saw anything, especially the night Jasper disappeared. Fourth, I need a descriptive list of this village's residents. Name, race, colors, magic color, and cutie mark. Lastly, I need a map of the mines, where Agate and Goldwork disappeared in the mines, and any other known entrances." He listed off, writing down a note of what he spoke of and handed it to Opal standing next to him

She looked at it. "This is... a lot, but doable. when do you need these by?"

"That is a lot to ask for. Can you at least tell us why?" Spelunk asked him.

"I need the map in a few hours. Everything else, by tomorrow. I don't want to make any accusations, but once I get that info, I will tell you if my thoughts are right or not. So far... no, best if I don't say more for now. I promise I'll tell once everything's known. I still have to talk to Astral though. If all goes according to plan, I'll have your sisters back in two days."

Stormfeather looked at him. "T-... Two days? Are you serious?"

Skystrike nodded. "I plan on going into the cave and finding them, hence the map. Once they're back, they will more than likely need medical attention. In the worst case scenario, I'll take them back to Vanhoover." Skystrike stood up. "Now, Emerald, Bismuth, I need your help with getting something out of my wagon."

They both nodded. Bismuth looked back at the rest of the ponies staying inside. "We'll be back. You guys all get started on what Nebula asked for." The three stallions then left the house. After a short walk back to Skystrike's wagon, Bismuth spoke again. "So, what do you need us to move?"

Skystrike pushed a large box to the edge of the wagon. "Oh, nothing I need you guys to move, necessarily, but I have some... rather high grade weaponry that I need to teach somepony to use correctly while I'm gone."

Stormfeather nodded. "A-Alright... but why do you need such weapons? And why do you need to show us? Won't you be here?"

Skystrike shook his head. "Once I show you guys how to use these, I'm going to stake out the cave from dusk to dawn, as well as look for any traces of the kidnappers. I'm showing you how to use these since you guys and Astral will be protecting the village in the off chance attackers come while I'm away. Don't worry, I'll also give you flares just in case. These are a last resort."

The two nodded in understanding. Skystrike climbed down from inside the wagon, moving the box to the ground. It was almost as large as him. He pushed it to the village center, making sure it had a wide area with minimal obstructions. A few ponies aside from Bismuth and Stormfeather stopped their daily activities as they watched what the raven armored pony was doing. When he opened the box, he took out the contents and spread out various metal pieces on the ground around him.

As Skystrike built his machine, Bismuth and Stormfeather couldn't tell what it was supposed to be. It had three legs, digging the main body into the ground. The central structure had a shape of a box, but was on a swivel joint, able to rotate freely. In the box, Nebula put a hollow cylinder into the base, moving it up and down a few times, as if to check if it would come out. They couldn't even describe the other little things he was doing. Pressing buttons, tightening screws, and flicking a switch, Nebula stood back, satisfied with what he built.

"So... what is this supposed to be? I've never seen any weapon like this." Bismuth walked around the creation.

"This is... I actually didn't give it a name, so I'll just call it 'Stake Launcher'." Skystrike admitted. He picked up a small box and openned it, showing it was full of metal, barbed, stakes "Hence the name, it launches stakes at a speed of 80 meters per second, so pretty damn fast. Listen close, I'll only explain this once. This is not a toy. This can kill even the largest beast when used right. Do not aim it at anyone you don't want dead." The two stallions nodded. "Good, now, this is pretty simple to control." Skystrike gave them a controller. It reminded Stormfeather of a forehead thermometer. "You point this at something and pull the trigger. The Stake Launcher will lock onto it and fire at it. It marks whatever you point at with a magic tag, declaring it an enemy to the turret. Remember, this is a LAST RESORT. As in, whatever took your sisters came into this village directly."

"Ok, ok, we get it..." Bismuth groaned. "Just... what do you think we're up against where you need this?"

Skystrike hesitated on answering. "...You'll know by tomorrow morning. I should know for sure by then. I have a few more things to do before I go. Tell the others what I said. Make sure to take shifts to keep watch while I'm gone." And with that, he flew away, back to his wagon. As soon as Celestia gave him the mission, he had to put many of his projects on hold, focusing on the new one he just finished setting up. In the off chance it is dragons, he needed a weapon that could go through the scales of a fully grown one. So, he started making his stake launcher, with the help of Echo and his lab of course. Only problem was that he hasn't field tested it yet. He hoped that it worked in the off chance it was used.

He arrived at his wagon. The first thing he did was get one of his prepped meals and ate a rather large portion, when compared to the average pony. It tasted alright, but it was made to be filling and nutritional. Then Skystrike thought about how long he'd be away from the village. Best if he had two meals since he wont be here for dinner. He opened another container, eating another meal before wiping his mouth. Skystrike took off his cape and looked at the star on the back of it. He sighed, then smiled at it, remembering what it meant to him. The pegasus folded the cape and put it back inside his wagon. It'd get in the way of the forest. Wouldn't want it caught on anything.

He prepared a few more items, putting some consumables on his body. Smoke bombs, flash bangs, water, tear gas, and a green camouflage cloak, putting it on. About everything he needed for a stake out, as well as an escape. Lastly, he put his swords on his back this time, so they don't poke out while he's laying down. Looking to the setting sun, he had about two hours before it set. "Mr.Nebula!" He heard from above him. Skystrike looked in the direction of the voice, seeing Silverspeed fly to and land in front of him.

"Hey. Silverspeed if I remember right? What do you need?" Skystrike rolled his wrists and sat down.

"We found the maps! One of the village and forest, and one of the mine." She said, laying out a map of the village first and pointing to the mine. "The mine is about a twenty minute walk from here." Then she pointed to two circles drawn in red ink. "These are two entrances that we know of. This bigger circle is the main entrance we use. It has everything set up for mining. Tools, wagons, a furnace, the basics." She moved a grey hoof to the other red circle. "This is also an exit, but it's rarely used. It's a nearly vertical shaft that comes out the side of a mountain, so It's only used in emergencies by us pegasus."

"...How wide would you say this shaft is? And where does it lead?" Skystrike asked.

"Oh my~..." She smirked. Skystrike stared. Silverspeed awkwardly moved on. "Anyway... if I had to estimate... I'd say about ten feet?"

Skystrike nodded. "Alright, continue with the other map."

Silverspeed nodded in return, rolling back up the current map and rolling out the map of the mine. "So, this is the map of the mine." She pointed to the main entrance. "Starting here, there's two sub paths that we've dug so far, and those spilt off in many directions. We have markers inside so we don't get lost. The two tunnels we've dug are from the pre-existing cave that was here when we settled down." She drew her hoof down the main path. "This is the longest path, about a thirty minute walk from the entrance... if you dont get lost that is. Very windy, many dark crevices' that lead to other pathways. It's like a maze!"

"Thanks for the warning..." Skystrike rubbed his chin. He then pointed to the end of the main path. "What's this large opening at the end of the main path?"

"Remember the second exit? It's right below that, and it's about fifty feet wide if I remember right? We built platforms and everything we needed there, but once we realized we needed certain equipment to dig deeper, we stopped digging there, hence the other sub paths."

"Alright... Now, where did Agate and Goldwork disappear?" Skystrike leaned forward.

Silverspeed pointed to two x marks on the cave's map. "...Here, the ones further to the opening... this is where Agate disappeared. Again she was first one to go. Further up... here... this is where I think Goldwork disappeared. I say think because I asked the ponies who were in the search parties, save for Magelight. Said he was busy. Anyway, from what I was told, Magelight and Goldwork went down to where Agate disappeared, and only the head came back."

Skystrike tensed up and furrowed his brow. Rather suspicious... "Alright then... I can work with this. Last question, Quarry and Ruby, I assume that they had a picnic near the mine?"

Silverspeed nodded. "Yes, about ten minutes from it." She answered, before asking him a question of her own. "Ok, look, I get it's your job, and you're here to help us, but you not saying anything is having me on edge!"

Skystrike sighed. "I do it to not make you ponies worry anymore then you already are."

"You can't possibly make me worry anymore than I am now! My older sister disappeared! And you know something! Tell me!" She yelled. Skystrike knew that her outburst wasn't directed at him, and that it was out of worry more than anger. But she was more than likely right. She probably couldn't get more worried.

He sighed. "Fine, but It stays between us and your group, alright?"

Author's Note:

First chapter of this arc is pretty solid IMO. Also, I know we all hate cliff hangers, but this one was kinda needed. I'm sure many of you already know where this is going. The next few chapters will show if you're right or not.

Anyway, Last chapter's author's notes, I said I'd post some of the oc's in here as they come up, so here they are. These took a while, so I'm quite proud.

He're Skystrike. The green in his hair is meant to blend in with the grass

Here's Astral

Most, if not all the BGPs in this, Like Opal or Bismuth, are OCs I probably wont use again. Some ponies, like Silverspeed or Stormfeather, are actual BGPs from the show, so they don't need to be made in pony town. Might make the OCs if they come back in later chapters, or if people want it enough.

But hey, another chapter done. Hope you enjoyed it,