• Published 10th Sep 2018
  • 2,052 Views, 56 Comments

Restart - Alden MacManx



A dying modern-day middle aged American man finds himself in Equestria, changed into a blue unicorn. How can he cope with all the changes?

  • ...
15
 56
 2,052

Chapter 13- Return to Ponyville

Wednesday was like Tuesday, only this time Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Twilight joined me on the parade ground. “This morning, I am going to see how you handle yourself against more than one attacker,” Accurate Strike told me. “That’s why the Elements are here. Do your best.”

At first, I thought to ‘pull my punches’, because I did not want to hurt my friends. I soon learned that THAT was a bad idea, because one, they are real tough ladies in a scrum and two, they weren’t pulling their punches! I learned a lot that day, mainly that I had a surprisingly high capacity for pain. Let it be said that the ladies and Accurate Strike all got their share of lumps as well.

Before dinner, as we were soaking our aches away in a medicated hot tub, Applejack turned to me and said, “Tristan, you fight like a cornered rat, only nastier.”

I looked back at the earth pony, who had her hat off and her main untied. “Years ago, I promised myself that I would not START a fight, but I will do anything in my power to FINISH a fight. People who knew me knew that fact and took pains to make sure I was not around fights.”

“Why would they do that?” Twilight asked.

“It’s because of how I ended fights. If I came upon a brawl, I would wade in and separate the combatants as best I could. Now, if anyone took a swing at me, I would convince them of their stupidity, usually by sending the offender on a flight, without a license,” I answered.

“How could you send them on a flight?” Rainbow Dash asked, her wings spread on top of the steaming water, feeling the bruising I had delivered unto her.

“By either giving them a hip toss or picking them up bodily and throwing them either onto a table, the ground, the water, or once, through a window. I had taken some unarmed combat courses while serving in the military, so I could become a better security guard. I achieved a decent level of skill, and have not let myself forget it,” I told her, with no trace of pride in my voice. I take no pleasure in hurting anyone, even if they rightfully deserved the pain.

“No wonder why ahm hurtin’ as much as I am, Tristan,” Applejack said with a groan behind the words. “You sure know how to land a blow.”

“I second that,” Twilight added. Rainbow Dash just sank beneath the surface for a moment before resurfacing.



At dinner, I sat between Rainbow Dash and Applejack, with Twilight across from me. By then, much of our pain had subsided, and we were all feeling much more civil. Twilight stood to speak.

“Tomorrow, we will leave Canterlot for Ponyville on the after-lunch train. In the morning, Tristan and Rarity must see Lord Topspin for some contract work. Accurate Strike will meet us at the train, with his equipment. Until Tristan passes his requirements, Strike will be the commander of the Ponyville detachment of the Solar Guard,” she said, looking right at me when she did.

I let out a groan that was only half play acting. “Do you have a hot tub at your castle, Twilight?” I asked.

“There’s one at the spa. You’re going to need it and a massage every day after training,” she warned. By her voice, I was either going to enjoy the experience or regret it. The odds were in the coin flip range, for sure.

“Rarity, what’s the deal with Lord Topspin?” I asked.

“Tomorrow, we are going to sign the contract with Topspin Productions, and you are going to record ten songs for reproduction. Depending on sales, we are to head back to Canterlot once a month, to record ten more each time,” she told me.

“I’ll select a variety tonight before I go to bed. That way, we can find out what will and won’t sell well, and to what demographics.”

“You know something about sales?” Rarity asked, surprised.

I nodded. “Some. Just what I picked up in study. Not like I ever did much with it.”



On the train ride back to Ponyville, I told the assembled group (which included Spike, Starlight, and Accurate Strike) about which songs I had recorded, how many promotional copies I had with me, and what I intended to do with them. A set to the school, a set for the Mayor (I had offered a set to Pinkie, but she turned them down. She suggested my gifting a set to the Mayor, instead), and two sets to be kept in the library, one to be left alone and the other set to be loaned out. The rest will be promotional issues, which I will use to decide who will sell my records in Ponyville and elsewhere.

“You’re not going to forget dinner at the hayburger stand tonight, are you?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Not at all. Anypony who wishes to dine there tonight, it will be on me!” I declared. Everyone agreed to that, even Spike.

“Hey, if it gets me out of cooking tonight, I’m all for it!” Spike declared, to everypony’s laughter. I was glad for Princess Celestia’s gift of ten thousand bits, to help me get settled. I had every plan to remain at Friendship Castle for the time being, saving my bits until Accurate Strike said I was fit to be on my own.

We arrived in Ponyville mid-afternoon. The only ponies waiting for us were the Cutie Mark Crusaders, they being Applejack’s sister Apple Bloom, Rarity’s sister Sweetie Belle, and Rainbow Dash’s not-sister Scootaloo. I never did figure out the relationship between Dash and Scootaloo, and I never thought it polite to ask. The girls rushed up to me, talking a mile a minute each about ideas to help me get my cutie mark.

I smiled at the fillies. “Ladies, calm down,” I told them. “Apparently, news travels slowly here.” I turned, presenting my flank to them.

They all squealed and mobbed me with hugs. I fell to the platform, trying to hug them all back at once. I think I succeeded, but I’m not sure. “Easy, girls!” I pleaded. They did back off and let me stand again.

“But, what does that mean?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Silly! It means he’s a Jack of all trades!” Pinkie Pie said with a laugh. All three fillies took the news well, I think.

“Does that mean you can do EVERYTHING, Mister Tristan?” Scootaloo asked.

“No, not everything, Scootaloo. It means that if I apply myself, I can get things done, but maybe not in the ‘proper’ style. It shows that I’m versatile, willing to learn anything,” I explained. “It’s something anypony can do, if they are willing to try.”

“Can you show us how?” Sweetie Belle asked.

I rubbed my chin at the question. “I can do the best I can. It’s not going to be easy, and it’s not going to be fast, but I’ll try,” I promised.

The three fillies gathered around me for a more sedate hug. “We’re willing to learn!” Apple Bloom said. The words touched my heart in a way I have seldom felt before. It is a good feeling to have, and I made a silent promise to myself to treasure that feeling, and to prove myself worthy of it every damned day I drew breath.

“Shall we all meet at the hayburger stand in an hour?” I called out. “That will give us all time to check our homes before dinner.” Getting unanimous agreement, we all went our separate ways. I made sure to give Spike a hoof in pulling the luggage cart. In fact, I had him ride the cart while I pulled it. Sure, I knew he could, but I like the little dragon and want to show him some kindness as well.



Dinner at the burger stand was a slightly chaotic affair, what with all of us, plus the Crusaders. Chaotic, but fun. “Yes, your word IS good, Tristan,” Rainbow Dash said, holding a half-eaten hayburger in one hoof. “Not to mention tasty!”

“I promised you dinner here, and so I deliver,” I told her after having some potatoes. Turning to Twilight, I asked her, “So, what is the Plan of the Day for tomorrow, Twilight?”

“Other than your training with Accurate Strike behind the castle two hours before dinner, your day is open, Tristan. I have a lot of backlog to catch up on, and I know you want to do some deliveries and searching. The weekend will be open, too. We’ll start more magic lessons on Monday,” Twilight said.

I sighed in relief, finding out my days were open. “Thank you, Twilight. If you need a hoof in your work, ask. I’m willing to help you, too.”

“If I need you, I will say so. Thank you for your offer.”



Friday morning, I woke up feeling better than I have felt in a while. Maybe it was the day without the rough training, I’m not sure. After a long shower and breakfast, I loaded up a cart Spike had dug up for me to use, loaded up my saddlebags and headed out on my rounds.

My first stop is a discount shop, because I needed a new pair of sunglasses, having broken my good pair in Canterlot. I bought two spare pair of glasses, as well as two more hats of a plain design. I treasure the hat Rarity had given me but seeing as I had planned on doing some hard work, I did not want to get the hat messed up.

My second stop is the school, having timed matters so I would be there during morning recess. After greeting the foals, I went inside to gift Miss Cheerilee the pre-release records I had brought from Canterlot. I told her of our tentative release schedule, along with a promise to deliver records before they hit the stores. I also described the code on the label, a green stripe meaning anyone can listen, yellow stripe saying parents should proof the records before letting kids listen, and a red stripe meaning adults only. I did promise that red stripes will be rare.

After getting through the herd of foals with a promise to drop by next week sometime for another ‘music lesson’, my next stop is Swift Stitch, the tailor. He is also a cobbler, and I wanted boots for my hooves for working in mud. Plus, getting the insides of my hooves dirty felt repulsive to me.

Next up, lunch. I avoided the hayburger stand and went to Sugarcube Corner, where I refreshed myself with several large oatmeal cookies and some milk, getting Mrs. Cake and the twins to smile at my words and actions.

After lunch came the stop that I was sweating. There is only one store that sold record players in Ponyville, and it was owned and operated by Filthy Rich, the wealthiest stallion in town, and the father of Diamond Tiara. I found him at the store, in his office, and I started my presentation.

When I had made my pitch, I asked to play a demo record or two. He stopped me by waving a hoof. “Mister Tristan, Diamond Tiara has been going on for the past week about your music and regaling us with the four songs you played at the school. What I want to know is, how do I go about getting your music to sell?” he asked.

Not showing the sigh of relief I let slowly out through my nostrils, I gazed at the wealthy pony, collecting my wits. “Mister Rich, do you deal with Topspin Productions in Canterlot?”

Mister Rich’s face fell into a frown. “I know of them, but Topspin and I do not get along very well. I will agree to sell your records in my shops, but I insist you, or an agent you choose, be the intermediary between Topspin and myself. We have not got along for a long time.”

I nodded in agreement. “What I need to know from you is how many records you should need. If I remember right, you have more than one store, correct?” I asked. At his nod, I went on. “This is going to be a challenge. I do not know the extent of your chain of stores, which means I have nothing to base estimates on. I would like to help you, but right now, I don’t have the information to do a proper job.”

Filthy Rich blinked, not having considered that. It seemed like he did not remember, or even realize, that I had only appeared in Equestria only a short time before, and honestly did not know conditions here. “If information is what you need, information you shall get,” he told me. Said information was provided, over the next hour. His holdings were more extensive than I had realized.

“If you have all this wealth, why are you living here in Ponyville instead of a place like Canterlot or Manehattan?” I asked.

“I like it here, Mister Tristan. That’s the best way to say it. If I’m happy here, why go elsewhere? Besides, I hate moving. Traveling is fine. Moving is not,” he told me.

“I can live with that. What I have now are just samples, which I am willing to leave with you. I will get with my contract pony and have one drawn up for your approval. When you do, I will notify Topspin of the contract, and you can start sales. Deal?”

Filthy Rich bumped hooves with me. “Deal. Now, just which of these did you play at the school? I want to hear the ‘real’ versions, not hers. I love Diamond Tiara, but her singing voice is not perfect. Yet,” he said after a short pause. I showed him, and I left, feeling much relieved that I had survived the encounter, looking like I would profit from it.

Naturally, my next stop was the Carousel Boutique, and my business pony, Rarity. I gave her a thumbnail explanation of my talk with Filthy Rich and asked her for her input. She referred me to an attorney here in Ponyville, one Legal Terms, and ask her for her help. “Honestly, darling, I use her for my business contracts. She’s so much better at it than I am,” she told me.

“You did very well indeed with Topspin,” I said.

“Yes, but that was just doing the initial deal. Legal Terms is so much better at the details than I am. Topspin used his attorneys to draw up the contract,” Rarity said as she sewed something that looked nice on her sewing machine.

“I’m off to see Legal Terms now, Rarity. See you again soon!” I said before heading out.

Legal Terms turned out to be a middle-aged pink and green earth pony mare, with a cutie mark of three brown quill pens in a black inkwell. When I explained to her who sent me and what I was looking for, she readily agreed to not only draw up the contract, but to act as an intermediary between Filthy Rich and Lord Topspin. For a consideration, of course. That took about a half hour of haggling to set up, but we made it, and I had her include that in the contract, so I would not forget.

My last stop this Friday is at the clock shop. I wanted a watch, because one of the hardest things for me to do is tell time. Here, especially, what with the sun and the moon acting like jack-in-the-boxes, it really messes up my miserable excuse of a time sense.

I walked in to the clock shop and started looking at the wares. Time Turner was not there, but there was a ‘be back soon’ sign on the front showcase, so I killed time (pun intended) looking at the watches.

There were fob watches, pocket watches, and watches on straps that looked like they would easily strap on to a foreleg. I admired one watch that was set in a leather sleeve, with a flap that covered the watch when I was not looking at it. It did look familiar to me, but for the life of me, I could not place WHERE I saw it.

“Find something interesting, Tristan?” Time Turner said from behind the counter. I must have sprung a good three feet up before landing.

“I didn’t hear you walk up!” I managed to say after coming down. “You scared the daylights out of me!”

“In your case, avoiding daylight would be a good thing, hmm?” he replied with a hint of a mocking tone, but not a vicious mocking.

“You do have a point. I would like to buy this watch here,” I said, tapping the display case.

“Ah, that one. I made that to honor an old friend, whom I have not seen in too long a time. He wore one a lot like this. One hundred bits, including repair warranty if needed,” Time Turner told me, opening the display case and removing the watch. He flipped up the leather flap and checked the watch against some other clocks in the shop while I dug out the hundred bits. “Oh, it’s self-winding, too. One less thing to remember in the morning, yes?”

“Indeed. Does it have an alarm setting?” I asked.

“Indeed, it does,” he told me before showing me how to set and activate it, and more important, how to shut it off! “You’re not going to be able to ignore this alarm!”

I took the watch and slid it up over my left forehoof. I twisted it around some to get it comfortable and practiced flicking the cover open and shut. That was when I noticed that the leather band had no buckles on it. It had slipped on over my hoof without any problems.

Time Turner noticed my curiosity. “Oh, that. Just a simple enchantment I hired a friend to put on watchbands. It won’t come off unless you WANT it off.”

“That’s good to hear. How durable is it?” I asked.

“It will hold up during your training session which starts in about fifteen minutes. I would shake a leg if you don’t want to be late,” he cautioned.

“Yes, you’re right, thank you! Best be off, then!” I said as I went to leave.

“At least you’re not learning Venusian Aikido. That’s a little rough,” Time Turner said as I cleared the door frame. I got exactly six paces before stopping dead in my tracks. I turned to go back in, but the door had a sign on it that said ‘closed for the day’ on it, a sign I KNEW was not on there when I walked out.

“Venusian Aikido. Where have I heard THAT before?” I muttered to myself as I hitched myself up to my cart and headed back to Twilight’s palace, and my training session with Accurate Strike. “I’m sure I’ve heard of it…” I muttered, thinking about a tall white-haired man in a ruffled shirt and a smoking jacket, whose name escaped my mind at the moment.

Author's Note:

More in Tristan's life as he settles in. Too bad his mind cannot make the connection between Time Turner and someone else, yes?