• Published 10th Sep 2018
  • 2,051 Views, 56 Comments

Restart - Alden MacManx



A dying modern-day middle aged American man finds himself in Equestria, changed into a blue unicorn. How can he cope with all the changes?

  • ...
15
 56
 2,051

Chapter 7- Lesson Plans

A slow, measured trot got me to the castle and my room in time to put the boxes on my bed before setting out to Twilight’s restaurant. I arrived there five minutes before five, looking about. The restaurant was more of a hamburger stand, but it was where she wanted to meet me.

It wasn’t long before I heard Twilight calling my name from behind me. I smiled as I looked in her direction. “Over your frustration from before?” I asked in a pleasant tone.

“For the most part, yes. I went and sorted books for a while. It helps me calm down. How was your afternoon? You seem happier,” she said to me.

“I am,” I said before explaining what happened at the school, then at Rarity’s. While I explained, we went inside, where Twilight ordered up a big hayburger and fries. Curious about these ‘hayburgers’, I ordered the same.

“You figured out the spell? Explain it to me!” she demanded like a teacher skeptical about a student’s report. I shut my eyes and talked her through the spell, from foundation to execution, obviously without casting it because I lacked the crystal to cast the spell on. “You learned that by watching a filly and reading her textbook?”

“Why, yes. The textbook had elementary lessons on beginning spellcrafting, and by reading it, I managed to put together the pieces that I could not figure out with your collegiate-level teachings earlier today. The elementary explanation filled in the gaps in my understanding. Remember, where I’m from, there is no magic as you know it,” I told her in a cool, calm voice, which settled any lingering ire.

“Well, then, tomorrow morning, we will start on some basic spells. I made a mistake by assuming that since you are a unicorn, you would have understood basic spellcrafting. Now that I know what the problem is, I’ll find some basic texts for you to study,” she said as the hayburgers, fries and drinks arrived. They smelled good, so I took a bite out of my hayburger. Let me tell you, one bite and I promised right then and there that I would never go to another hamburger joint on Route Twelve in Groton again. These hayburgers are THAT good.

Twilight giggled a little bit looking at my expression. “Good, aren’t they?” she asked.

“Twilight, this is beyond good. I have just promised myself to never eat a hamburger again!”

“Even if you go back home again, Tristan?”

“Even if I go back home. I now understand why you like this place,” I told her before taking another bite out of the delicious hayburger. “This is one treat I do not want to learn to cook.”

“Why do you say that, Tristan?”

“Because, if I learn how to make it, some of the quote magic unquote would be lost, and I would not enjoy it as much as I do now. Sometimes, NOT knowing how something is done or made makes having it all the more special,” I told her after a hoofload of fries.

Twilight thought for a moment as she had some of her hayburger. “That’s a way of looking at life I have never thought of. Much different than my outlook.”

I slurped some of my soft drink before replying. “Twilight, it takes all sorts to make up the world we live in. What makes you special may not be what makes me special, or Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie or Rainbow Dash. In our differences, we learn.”

“It took me a while to find out that truth, to be honest. I’m much the better for it.”

“I am very glad to hear that, Twilight. You are a good pony to know. So far, I have not met a truly bad pony yet,” I said, using a napkin to clean my lips of ketchup.

“Not many in Ponyville but wait until we get to Canterlot. There are some there that will make you wonder.” she said drily as she finished her hayburger.

“I can imagine,” I said as I finished mine. “I don’t want to, but I can. Now, for something completely different…” I went on to describe what I had planned for the school, to visit on Friday afternoon, with the music box, then after we get the music on records, to gift the school with a selection. Twilight readily gave me Friday afternoon off to prepare my ‘lesson plan’ but did promise that Friday morning was going to be rough!

I then told Twilight of my planned gift for Rarity before asking for the bits needed to pull it off. She said there would be no problem getting the bits, and she hoped we would have a good evening together. “Twilight, I would like nothing better to meet each of your friends socially at least once like I plan to do with Rarity on Saturday. The one thing I would need is a reliable stipend from whatever source until I can start earning my own way. If I intend on being friends with them, and the village in general, I cannot be dependent on another’s generosity,” I told her in all sincerity.

“I understand, Tristan. When we go to Canterlot next week, I will ask Princess Celestia about that matter. I know something will be worked out. You WANT to be productive and friendly, I can tell,” Twilight said to me, using a fry to wipe up some ketchup on her plate before eating it.

“The ponies here have shown me nothing but kindness. I really must return that kindness,” I said before sighing. “I just wonder when I’ll get a cutie mark, and what it will be.”

“That’s not important right now, Tristan. What is important is getting you settled. I have found that if you try too hard, you may not succeed. Just be yourself. You’re doing a good job that way,” Twilight said, smiling brightly at me as the sun headed down. Fast. I watched it set, a confused look on my face. “Something wrong, Tristan?”

“The sun- it went down abnormally fast,” I said as the skies rapidly darkened. Lights started coming on in windows and on buildings. An odd reflection told me the moon was rising just as fast as the sun had set. “That can’t be right.”

“Princess Celestia raises and lowers the sun, Princess Luna raises and lowers the moon. It’s the way matters are here,” Twilight said, in matter-of-fact tones.

My old friend Weirdness Overload decided to pay me a return visit, this time, deciding to settle in for a long, extended chat. I was aware of Twilight leading me back to the castle, but my mind was too bollixed to really give a good goddamn, if you get my meaning.



I woke up in the morning feeling far less confused, because Princess Luna visited me in my dreams again and gave me a thorough explanation of what an alicorn can do, especially her sister and herself. This morning, the sunlight did not shine in my face, instead it reflected off a white painted wall near my bed. The light was sufficient to wake me up, but not so strong it glare-blinded me. Spike does do good work.

At breakfast, I tried to explain about Princess Luna’s visit, but it turned out that she already knew, having received a letter from Luna before I woke up. When I commented about fast mail delivery, Twilight explained that Spike was able to send and receive mail from Princess Celestia. “That’s convenient,” I said around a mouthful of oatmeal.

“It’s very helpful, to be sure. Now, when were done eating, I want you to show me you do know the charging spell,” she said to me, going instantly from friend mode to teacher mode.

“Is that an assignment or a challenge, Teach?” I asked with a bit of a smirk.

“Yes, it is,” she replied in teacher mode, using her glow to bring out the materials from a side cabinet.

Quickly, I finished breakfast, except for my coffee, and focused on thinking of the charging spell. As I assembled the spell in my head, a red glow came from my horn and enveloped the crystal. Ten seconds later, I felt drained. Not exhausted, but the feeling I had just hit a triple and barely beat the ball to third base running hard. “Hooo…”

Twilight examined the crystal, not letting it fall from my telekinetic grip when I stopped the spell. After a moment, she snorted. “Not bad, Tristan. You put a good, solid charge in this crystal.”

I looked at the crystal and noticed it was now glowing slightly from the inside. “Is it normal to feel tired after doing a spell?” I asked.

“For you, it will. You need to build up your magic reserves. I’ll teach you some spells that will help you recover. You are at the state where you are essentially in primary school, and the spell you just cast is more of a secondary school spell. This morning, you study this book and practice what you read. After break, more quizzing and the next book in the series. I believe you will be a quick student,” Twilight told me in teacher mode before her expression softened. “Go refill your coffee mug before starting.”

The text, to me, was essentially the magic version of ‘Dick and Jane’. I finished the book in under one coffee and began the practice. I knew Twilight was paying some attention to me, but my attention was riveted on the book. I went back and forth, turning pages and doing the drills outlined. I could feel my magic replenishing itself. I must admit, it was the oddest feeling.

After break, Twilight quizzed me on the drills, which I passed without referring to the book. She then gave me another book, which, after reading, was more like a third-grade level. It took me more than one full coffee to finish this one before I started drilling. It wasn’t until I did the drill that made sparks fly that I realized this was the same book Merry Smile was reading the day before. Again, I passed Twilight’s quiz, and after lunch, began another book, which took me two mugs of coffee to complete, and the drills I had only partially completed before break. Twilight decided to give me a small break, waiting until I had completed the drills in the morning before a test.

My afternoon walk this day brought me to a tailor that Rarity had recommended, because I did want to get the sturdy wear for farm work. I also asked for a set of baker’s whites, so I could pitch in with Pinkie. The tailor, Swift Stitch, said they would be ready tomorrow afternoon and set a price which I agreed to pay upon pickup. I then went to Sugarcube Corner, looking for Pinkie.

I had not gone two doors down from Swift Stitch’s shop before I saw a blur of pink in front of me and a loud “TRISTAN!” in my ears. Pinkie had found me! Like the first time, I must have gone four feet straight up in surprise. I countered her shout with a cry of pure surprise.

“Pinkie, how do you do that?” I asked when I landed and found my breath.

“I do it,” was her reply. “You looking for me?”

“How did you know?”

“Tail jiggle, ear twitch, and a nose itch. That’s how I know someone is looking for me!” she said in her normal voice, which was so sweet, it made me consider checking myself for diabetes, if I could. “I thought of you, and here I am! Why you looking for me?”

“I was going to ask you if I could spend a day sometime soon helping you in Sugarcube Corner. My way of thanking you for the party you threw and, well, for being my friend,” I told her in all honesty. “I have to complete my schooling, and I have a Canterlot trip next week, so sometime after that.”

“Yes! We’re going to Canterlot on Monday! We’re going to see Princess Celestia, then go to a party after! It won’t be as fun as my parties, but they run their parties different. DULL!” she said.

“So, would you accept my helping you at Sugarcube Corner?”

“Oh, yes! You can come by any time, and I’ll see how much you know about baking cakes and cookies and pies and such!” she squealed, then her right leg shook. “Uh, oh! I gotta go! See you later, Tristan!” She then disappeared in a blur of something. I had to stand there catching my breath before I could move on. Being with Pinkie when she’s wound up is draining, let me tell you!

Having done what I wanted, I went back to the castle, to set up a play list for the school tomorrow afternoon. I was careful to choose age-appropriate tunes, something the foals would enjoy, I hoped. Good thing I had plenty of old bubblegum rock selections. Took me until dinnertime before I was happy with all my selections. Glad I had taken the time to set up the music player properly. I made sure it was plugged in to the charger before going to dinner. After dinner, I managed to get Starlight’s help in writing out the words to the songs I intended to teach the next day and make enough copies for each foal to have.

Author's Note:

Lesson plans work both ways, yes? The pains of being both a teacher and a student.