• Published 10th Sep 2018
  • 2,051 Views, 56 Comments

Restart - Alden MacManx



A dying modern-day middle aged American man finds himself in Equestria, changed into a blue unicorn. How can he cope with all the changes?

  • ...
15
 56
 2,051

Chapter 4- Pinkie Party Time!

It turned out the phone had about a twenty percent charge on it, so I spent an hour before the party cranking the charger, with Twilight’s and Starlight’s help. Using our glows to turn the crank is a lot easier than using hands, and we passed it around as we chatted some more, building up the charge on the battery. I played some of the tunes, and the two ponies found themselves tapping their hooves to the rhythms. Heck, so did I. I did some singing as well, and they did not run away, which was a point in their favor.

Twilight and Starlight brought me to the party site, which was out in the center of town. When we got there, the place was deserted, no ponies visible in the afternoon light. I looked around in confusion. “Where is everyone? Did we miss the party?” I asked.

In reply, Twilight and Starlight covered their ears with their hooves. I should have taken the hint. With a loud blaring of horns and the sound of a cannon going off, Pinkie yelled ‘SURPRISE!’, as did about a hundred townsponies, coming out of buildings.

I must have gone four feet straight up before landing with a thud. “Pinkie!” I shouted.

“Tristan!” she shouted back. “Come on, let’s meet everypony!”

What started then was a whirlwind tour of the party, meeting all the notable ponies of the town, like the Mayor, the teacher, the postal pony, the timekeeper (who seemed very familiar to me, but I could not quite place where), the foals in school, you name them, I met them, all the while munching on vanilla cupcakes and other assorted party nibbles. What with all the meeting and greeting, it wasn’t until almost seven before I could break out my phone and trigger a playlist.

Let me tell you, my playlist had heads nodding and hooves tapping for a good hour. Lots of ponies came up to me, saying how much they liked the music, and if it would become available for sale? I told all that it will be, but that this is my first full day awake, and I have not thought that far ahead yet.

As the party was winding down, Time Turner came up to me and asked if he could examine the charger for my phone. “There is electricity here, and in order to build you a proper charger, I need to know the power requirements for the output,” he explained to me in a voice I’m sure I knew from somewhere.

“How about I do that tomorrow? After the party, I’ll crank it for a time, to put some charge in. But, I have not seen any power lines or outlets around. Just how will I use the charger?” I asked, more than a little confused.

Time Turner just smiled at me. “The lines are buried, to keep the air clear of obstructions for pegasi. As for outlets, well, ask your hostess for details. She will show you. Until tomorrow, then. Allons-y!” he said as he departed at a trot, heading for his home, his long multicolored scarf trailing over his flanks.

I stared after him as he left. Damn, I was SURE I knew him from somewhere, but where?



That night, as I cranked the charger, I asked Twilight about what Time Turner had told me about electricity here. “Oh, yes, we have it, but more for industrial and research purposes rather than residential uses, out here in Ponyville, at least. In the big cities, like Canterlot, Manehattan, Fillydelphia, Baltimare and such, electricity is far more common. The few outlets I have here in my castle are down in my laboratories in the basement. I do a lot of research, mainly because of my curiosity,” she explained.

“So, I can leave out the electricity part of my lectures, and just go to the electronics portion. Like I said, I’ll do the best I can.”

“I’m sure your best will be more than sufficient. How did you like the party?”

“It was fun, exciting, and different, for me at least. I got to meet every pony in town, it seems like, and just about all of them made me feel welcome. I’m counting my blessings to wind up here instead of any place else,” I explained as I cranked.

Twilight smiled at my words. “I’m glad you’re happy. Next thing we should look into is how to get the music from your phone onto records. For that, we’re going to have to go to a record making factory. The closest one is in Canterlot. Not next week, but the week after, we’ll go there. While in Canterlot, we can visit the Princesses,” she said.

“The Princesses? There’s more than just you?” I asked.

Twilight then spent the next half-hour explaining about the Princesses, Celestia, who was the top boss, Luna, the second boss, and Cadance, who ruled a place called the Crystal Empire somewhere up north. “This next week, Starlight and I will be teaching you Equestrian history and mores, so you can mix in with the populace easier. We’re also going to have to see what your cutie mark will be.”

I knew about the cutie marks, just about every pony I saw having one except for the youngest of the children. “Seeing as I don’t have one right now, will that affect matters for me?” I asked, trying to stifle a yawn.

“Here in Ponyville, not really. In Canterlot and elsewhere, yes. Ponies will wonder why a mature stallion like you is missing a cutie mark, especially the nobility,” Twilight explained.

This next yawn I could not stifle. “I would love to learn more, but I’m feeling extreme bunkie suction right now. How about we discuss this in the morning after breakfast? It is a fascinating subject, but I’m too tired to understand now,” I managed to say.

“Of course, Tristan. You get a good sleep in, and tomorrow, we’ll start your education. Have a good night,” she said to me as I got up, carrying my phone and charger in my glow.

“Only if you promise to have a good night as well, Princess. Good wishes are best sent both ways, not just one way. Now, my bed is calling me. Until morning!” I managed to say in a jaunty voice before heading to my room. Problem was, I forgot to do something, what with holding my phone and charger, I forgot to open the damned door. Last thing I remember was a pain in my nose.

Next I knew, my face was feeling warm. I opened my eyes to find myself in my bed, with full sunlight on my face. This time, I’m SURE my scream of pain was heard in Canterlot, if not Manehattan, because Twilight, Starlight AND Spike came running in my room as I struggled to get rid of what I thought were retina burns. “Tristan! Are you all right?” Twilight asked.

“I have GOT to fix that CURTAIN before I go GLARE BLIND!” I growled through my pain, looking away from the window, blinking to get the afterimages in my eyes to go away.

“I’ll fix it today, Tristan.” Spike said, sounding concerned.

“Thank you very much, Spike. Now, can someone help me see again? Damn afterimages!” I said, trying to calm down.

“Just hold still, Tristan,” Twilight said as I could feel her glow touching my face and moving it slightly. “Just keep your eyes shut. Starlight, pay attention to how I handle this healing. It’s simple, but I don’t think you have seen this before.”

That was followed by some words I did not understand before I felt a tingle on my face and in my eyes. “Keep your eyes shut for another minute, Tristan,” she told me before she and Starlight started discussing the spell structure, something which was completely over my head at the time. “Okay, open your eyes.”

I did, and the glare and pain were gone. However, the bright sunlight streaming past my head onto the pillows was discomfiting. “Thank you, Twilight. It’s never hurt that much before. Then again, I always covered my bedroom windows,” I said in as polite a voice as I could muster.

“I’ll correct that today, Tristan. No more waking up to full sun on your face!” Spike told me. “Same breakfast as yesterday?”

“Please and thank you for asking. Now, may I ask for some space to get up?” I asked. “I would like to use the shower before going to breakfast.”

“Sorry about that,” Twilight said as she and Starlight backed away from the bed. “We’ll see you at breakfast, then!”

“Plans like a sound to me!” I said as I got out of bed, my good humor returning. The shower was oh, so welcoming- warm, soothing, yet stimulating as well. What’s interesting was that I got the water temperature right the first time, not too hot, not too cold. The soap was also good, too, with a fragrance that chased the fog out of my head. I headed for breakfast a very happy pony.

Author's Note:

The first of more than likely many Pinkie Parties. Dropping rock and roll into Ponyville is going to raise some ripples, yes?