• Published 16th Dec 2011
  • 2,944 Views, 335 Comments

Tales of Interest! - Pascoite



Random unrelated short stories

  • ...
11
 335
 2,944

PreviousChapters Next
Playing Dress-Up

Another satisfied customer left Carousel Boutique, carrying a piece of unique finery in her saddlebag. Pinkie Pie bounced past in the opposite direction, coming up behind an unaware Rarity and continuing to hop in place.

Rarity swept broad pencil strokes across her pad as she sketched a new design, brushing a hoof absentmindedly at a smudge. It repeatedly escaped her, and she finally realized that it was a shadow flitting across her desk. Turning around to discern its source, she found herself staring at a grinning pink face.

“Hi!”

Holding a hoof to her chest as she shrieked, Rarity backed into her desk and toppled it to the floor.

“Oh, I didn’t mean to scare you!” Pinkie helped her up, smiling sheepishly.

“Think nothing of it, dear,” Rarity said, levitating the furniture back into place. “Here for the finished product?” Pinkie nodded so hard that it nearly gave Rarity a headache to watch. “I have your dress right here. Please excuse the mess; I’ve simply been too busy keep everything in order.”

Pinkie squinted at a few scraps of ribbon on the work table; the room was otherwise spotless. Shrugging, she walked with Rarity to a rack at the back of the room. A pink, silken masterpiece hung there, with nightingales and lotus flowers in the pattern, pearl beadwork, and a simple hem short enough for dancing.

Gasping, Pinkie held her hooves to her cheeks. “That will be perfect for the Manechurian ambassador’s party!”

Rarity gave a satisfied sigh, rummaging through a bin for some bauble that would add the proper punctuation to her latest opus. “Ah! I have just the thing!” She extracted a jade brooch carved in the shape of a chrysanthemum. “You use this to fasten the collar.”

She demonstrated, flaring the dress over Pinkie’s back and pinning it. “I made this especially for you.”

“I know, and I love it so very much!”

Pinkie was no exception. Nopony ever saw the whole, unvarnished truth. After all, how does one wrap a friend in the luxuriant fabric of one's love, not only pleasing the eye, but granting her that beautifully warm lightness of knowing how closely, fiercely her friendship is treasured?

Pinkie pranced in front of the mirror, eyes shining with reflected splendor, but oblivious to the cloak overlying it all.

A wistful sigh and a subdued smile said what they always did: Next time, perhaps.

PreviousChapters Next