• Published 16th Dec 2011
  • 2,940 Views, 335 Comments

Tales of Interest! - Pascoite



Random unrelated short stories

  • ...
11
 335
 2,940

PreviousChapters Next
Perfect Ten

She sat down next to me at the bar.

I didn’t even turn my head. I can always tell the mares from the stallions by how quickly the bartender comes over. “Hello, ma’am,” Frosted Mug said. “What can I get you?”

She tapped a hoof against the barrail. She must have been scanning over all the bottles behind old Mug and picking her poison. Well, maybe not poison. For most types in here, sure, but a little now and then didn’t hurt anypony.

“Um…” she said.

“I can come back later if you need some time, ma’am.” Good looking, too, if Mug let that drawl creep into his voice. It didn’t always play well with the ritzy crowd in Canterlot, but he pulled it out and dusted it off every so often. Out-of-towners seemed to find it charming.

“Yes, thanks.”

I just stared ahead and nursed my drink, whatever lager they had on tap. Mares didn’t come in here to get ogled. Most of them, anyway, so I figured she’d rather I leave her alone. But then she spoke up. “Excuse me, sir?”

I didn’t think I was old enough to garner a “sir.” But Mug had called her “ma’am,” so fair enough. She didn’t sound old. So I turned my head just enough to give her my attention without making it look like I was checking her out. “What can I help you with?”

“Um… what’s good here?”

That’s a short list…”

“Hey!” Mug barked.

I had a little chuckle. Not like Mug hadn’t heard that line before. “Well, what do you normally like?”

“Fruity stuff,” she said. “But I’m not in the mood for something I’ve had before.”

“What are you used to, then?”

“Mostly flavored mineral waters. We’ll mix ’em with some grain alcohol, but that’s about all you can get in the Crystal Empire.”

That got my notice. “Oh, you’re a crystal pony? Cool. I hear folks can see clear through you.”

She let out a snort. “Usually. It wears off when we leave. If you went there, it’d happen to you, too. It’s a myth, anyway. You see around us, not through us. Everypony thinks it’s such an exotic thing, but it isn’t. It’s like thinking ponies who live in rainy climates are so cool for being wet.”

“Oh.” Learn something new every day, I guess.

“For those of us who’ve lived there a long time, though, it can take a couple days, so… tada!” She swiveled her stool toward me. I just gave a tight-lipped smile. “Got another day of this.”

“Ah. Anyway, most anything would be new to you here, but there’s a small town nearby that makes great cider. Mug might have some still. Worth asking.” Finally, I turned all the way toward her and held out a hoof. “Name’s Key Change. I play in some of the bars around town.”

“Hi,” she said, taking my hoof. “Tenebrescence. Call me ‘Ten’ for short.”

I had to laugh.

“Yeah, yeah, I’ve heard ’em all. Everypony’s always staring anyway, so why not? My name’s true, too. I’m pink indoors, but clear out in the sunlight. Oh… come to think of it, that won’t change. I took a job as a secretary at the Empire’s embassy, which is also enchanted, so… I guess I’ll look like this for good.”

“Being beautiful’s a tough life, huh?”

She sighed. “Sometimes. I can’t leave the Empire without getting hit on.”

I sucked in some air through my teeth. “Sorry. Yeah, I can get that. Hope I didn’t cross a line.”

“No. You’re actually nice.”

Not too many mares said that. Not too many mares said anything. “Heh. I appreciate the vote of confidence. Here. Don’t take this as a come-on, but… welcome to Canterlot. My treat. Hey, Mug, you still got any of that Ponyville cider?”

“Comin’ up!”

“Thank you.” She fell silent for a minute, and she must’ve noticed. Something about my eyes… How long till she left?

“Anything for a pretty mare.”

“How do you know?”

“Doesn’t matter what you look like. Pretty ain’t about that.”

Another chuckle. “Band seems ready for your set. Sorry, but I can only stay a little while.” Then pencil scratched against paper, paper slid across wood. “Have Mug read that to you when you’re finished. Maybe we can meet for drinks again sometime.”

I tipped my hat to her and made my way to the stage.

The rest is history. She’s still my perfect Ten, in every way that matters.

PreviousChapters Next