• Published 9th Jun 2018
  • 347 Views, 3 Comments

Collection of very short stories - PhantomDancer



Short storys that don't have anything else to do with anything on this website.

  • ...
 3
 347

The Divide

There were two worlds, one light, one dark. There was a border between them, as soon as you stepped through from the light the world would fade to the eternal darkness of night. If you stepped in from the other way, it would fade to eternal day. The inhabitants never knew why this was, but they never questioned it more than they could or felt they should. But one day, in an obscure corner of the day realms, the border of the night crept out a few miles or so, taking a small sliver of the day for itself. Once the inhabitants found this out, there was an outrage never before has one of the sides taken territory for themselves. All of the day realm inhabitants blamed the night realms people. Of course, the night realms inhabitants and politicians denied anything to do with the shifting border. The day inhabitants did not take their word, and in time were more hostile to the night inhabitants.

After a few weeks or so of the border being shifted, it was reverted to the original position and all was well, the two realms calmed from the heated arguments. after a few more days of normality, the border was shifted again, this time in the direction of the night realms. The same distance as before was shifted as the night realms territory was engulfed by the blindingly bright light of day. A similar reaction occurred in the night realms, inhabitants were outraged, suspicious of the day realms moving the border to get back at the night realms. After sending an envoy to voice such suspicions the day realm also denied anything to do with the change in the border. In fact, neither of them had anything to do with the changes. Much to the confusion of both realms, "What could be causing this?" they asked each other. Both realms charged scientists from all along their combined territory to find out what would be causing the changes.

Eventually when they looked beyond their planet, they found the reason for the changes. The changes came from entities that held their world and countless like it in their grasp, massive beings that seemed to make the realms world along with others like it in the observable universe. These creatures had observed the creation of the night and day realms solar system, caused nearly every major event within that world that ever appeared, anywhere, anytime. And so the unimaginably powerful beings kept doing so, through years, decades, centuries, and millennia to come.

Author's Note:

Another very short little idea I had.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment