• Published 1st Nov 2018
  • 436 Views, 2 Comments

Cherry Tune: A New Tune - CherryTune



These are small tails of the original characters that appeared in Crytal Book and Reaper. These stories content ranges from what you might see in MLP:FIM to very dark real life situations, and everything in between.

  • ...
 2
 436

Ch 10 Promenade's B-day

Promenade takes a deep breath and sighs as she looks at herself in the mirror. Sunny Side knocks on the door and asks, “Hey Promenade, you doing alright in there? We don’t have to go if you don’t feel up to it. I am sure everyone will understand.”

Promenade breaths in again. “I’m fine! Let’s get this party started!” She said with forced confidence.

Promenade opens the bathroom door to reveal her mane and tail done up quite stunningly.
“Whoa…” Sunny let out with a near gasp.

“Is everything with Meryl all set up?” Promenade asked.

“Umm… what?” Sunny replied taken back by Promenade. “OH! Yes, she is having a sleepover with the Crusaders tonight. Turns out it’s Apple Bloom’s birthday too so they are also having a get together.” Sunny said.

“That’s good! Had I known it was Apple Bloom’s birthday I would have gotten her something.” Promenade said.

“Already covered! Meryl and I got her something a week ago. You do so much already we thought we’d take this one” Sunny Side said.

“Oh, that’s kind of you” Promenade said a little disappointed.

“Don’t worry, Promenade. I made sure to throw in a little something from you too.” Sunny replied with a wink. “I just didn’t want to over burden you that’s all.” she continued.

“Thank you Sunny, I guess I have been taking on a lot. Shall we meet up with the party then?” Promenade asked.

“Yes! Let’s get going. The birthday girl wouldn’t want to be late to her own party!” Sunny exclaimed.

Sunny Side and Promenade head to the train station to meet up with, among others, Vinyl, Octavia, Bon Bon, Cherry Tune, Sapphire Spark and Sugar Cloud, Moonlet, and possibly Nightfall.

Sunny and Promenade meet up with everyone, except Nightfall who was on duty, and the nine of them go to an electronic swing bar in Canterlot where DJ Pon3, Velvet Remedy and the Wasteland Wailers were performing their with other bands peppered in between. “Welcome to the “Light and Sound” Promenade! I hope you enjoy yourself here, it’s my personal favourite!” Vinyl Scratch said.

“Thanks Vinyl! I am sure to have a wonderful time!” Promenade said.

“Fantastic! Well I gotta go run our music for the first half of the night! Have a couple drinks on me.” Vinyl said with a wink. She then headed to the DJ booth and the announcer introduced her.

“Please welcome DJ Pon3 and the “Wasteland Wailers” as they perform a stunning new hit sweeping Canterlot by storm, “Fly like me”.” the announcer said.

Promenade walked over to the bar where she saw Octavia sitting. As she walked passed the stage she overheard Vinyl speaking with Velvet Remedy saying “It’s good to finally meet you in person Velvet.”

Velvet Remedy replied, “Likewise Vinyl”

Promenade sat at the bar with Moonlet, Lyra, Bon Bon, and Octavia, who was mean mugging Velvet.

Sapphire and Sugar are heavy drinkers and party hard throughout the night. A product of Klugetown nightlife. Sapphire finds Vernal Bloom, a mare of dark green coat and light green mane and tail. Sapphire strikes up a conversation and inquires about Vernal’s cutie mark, three Datura Inoxia, commonly known as Moon Flowers, crossing each other in full bloom. “So those are pretty, I’ve never seen such flowers before.” Sapphire said.

“They are known as Moonflowers and they smell wonderful when in season.” Vernal BLoom said. “It’s actually the scent I am wearing now.” She continued.

“Really? May I?” Sapphire asked politely.

“Of course.” Vernal replied.

Sapphire leaned in to Vernal and gave a gently smell. The perfume struck a memory of Sapphires past. She recalled that her father would always bring her mother that scent when he returned from his deployments. “That’s amazing!” Sapphire said. “Where’d you get it?” she asked.

“I found an old recipe my grandfather never quite perfected. He said that even though the scent was powerful, it never lasted the night. Just like the moonflower which only blooms for one night” Vernal said.

“So you’re a perfumist huh? That’s pretty cool, I’ve never really had the chance to try perfumes. Klugetown isn’t really a place for such things” Sapphire said.

“Maybe you could come by my shop tomorrow and check out some of my other scents.” Vernal said brushing her mane out of her face and behind her ear.

“I would enjoy that very much!” Sapphire said sipping the last drops of her drink leaning in close on the table. Sugar Cloud walked by and nudged Sapphire giving a wink while placing a refreshment in front of her. “Gotcha you another one sis, and I noticed your new friend likes the Lemon Twister so I got her one too.” Sugar said.

“Oh thank you….um.” Vernal said.

“Sugar Cloud! Don’t worry, the bartender is going to bring it over and make it on the spot, the special… fire twister way. Enjoy mon cheri.” Sugar replied in a sultry tone giving one last wink.

“That was, strange.” Vernal said.

“Yup, that’s my sister. I hope you don’t mind.” Sapphire Spark replied.

“Not at all, I too have...quirky relatives.” Vernal said with a giggle.

Just then the bartending staff made there way over and began the light show that was the Fire Lemon Twister.

Sugar Cloud laughed in a devious yet playful manner as she walked over to the bar where most of the girls were hanging out. She brushes up against Promenade, Moonlet, Lyra, Bon Bon, and Octavia as she walks passed them rubbing her tail under their chins as she passed. Sugar looks back winking at Promenade and flicking her tail under Moonlets chin before tripping over a stool she wasn’t paying attention to.

She quickly stands up and staggers. “Oh goodness are you alright?” Bon Bon asked. Sugar rubs her elbow and says “Aye” while hoof gunning at the group. They all chuckle and Sunny Side, who witnessed the whole thing, walked over as she returned from the restrooms.

“That… was amazing Sugar!” Sunny said.

“Indeed.” Octavia chuckled. “Delightfully clumsy, although charming all the same.” she continued.

“More like awkward.” Moonlet said.

Lyra chuckled “Reminds me when Bon Bon was on that secr--” Bon Bon quickly covered Lyra’s mouth “Eh heheheh, she means that one time I uh.. Tripped... and uh fell in the pool… yeah.” she stumbled to explain.

“You’re alright Bon Bon. Y’all were on “vacation”.” Sunny winked. “But let’s get you a cider Sugar Cloud for that wonderful performance!” She continued.

“Oh now that sounds lovely!” Sugar said.

Sugar and Sunny sit at the edge of the bar where Promenade had been sitting. “ So how’s it going Promenade, you doing alright? “ Sunny asked.

“Actually I am doing quite well thank you! It’s been awhile since I’ve had a night like this and it’s actually a really good time.” Promenade said.

“What!?” Cherry Tune said popping out from behind the bar. “What do you mean “actually a good time?”” She asked eyeballing Promenade.

“Oh , I didn’t mean it like that, I meant it’s not what I expected. No, that sounds wrong to, I mean I----” Promenade stumbled to explain herself. She began to fall into herself thinking she messed up.

“Relax Promenade.” Cherry Tune said with a smile while placing her hoof on Promenade’s shoulder. “I didn’t mean anything by it I was just joking around that’s all. I just you to have the night that makes you happy ok?” Cherry continued.

“Oh, thank you Cherry, I know you worked hard on all of this. And everything seems to be exactly what I would have wanted. I hadn’t realized you knew me this well.” Promenade said.

“Well, I did get help from a few others.” Cherry Tune gestured to almost the entire night club. “Everyone put a little something for you into this night.” Cherry Tune said “Even Pinkie Pie” she whispered. Pinkie Pie popped up from behind the bar as well. “Shhhhhhhhh.” she said while slowly lowering back behind the counter.

“Are you two even supposed to be back there?” Sunny asked.
“Shhhhhhhh” Cherry Tune said while also slowly drifting back behind the counter. “Nope!” She said jumping out in front of the bar.

“Another fire Lemon Twister sir!” Vernal said in the distance.

“So how about we hit that dance floor and boogie all night!” Cherry said.

“Oh, I don’t dance…” Promenade said.

“But… but aren’t you a dancer in the Canterlot Troupe?” Moonlet asked. Promenade turned to Moonlet and winked at her poking her tongue out.

“Oh! Heheh just wondering.” Moonlet said. Promenade shot back the last of her drink span around in her stool and jumped up to the dance floor. “Alright ladies, who wants to impress me out on the dance floor?” Promenade said with uncharacteristic confidence. A sudden fireball erupts from Spark’s and Vernal’s table and Promenade didn’t even look over. “Woohoo!” Vernal shouted.

“I don’t know about impress, but I’ll be entertaining if my earlier display is an indication!” Sugar Cloud said.

“I’ll go a round with you dear.” Octavia said with a grin, glancing at Vinyl. “I might play the cello professionally but I studied dance as well. Let’s see if we can turn some heads!” she continued.

Octavia grabs Promenade and heads to the dance floor. While the two perform elegantly with the beats and rhythm the remaining girls pour out to the stage and dance to the music mingling with those already dancing.

Nightfall quietly shuffles in from the front and heads towards the bar where his passes Sapphire. “Hey Nightfall, glad you could make it.” Sapphire said curiously.”

“Oh, hey there Sapphire. How’s the party going.?” He responded nervously.

“”Pretty good, and it’s barely even begun. So you could spend all night if you’re able.” Sapphire said. “How long can you? Thought you’d be at work.” she continued.

Nightfall thinks back to an hour or so ago. “.......Eheheh let’s just say Luna helped me out a bit.”

“Cool, well this is Vernal Bloom, she is a perfumist!” Sapphire said.

“Hi! Nightfall, was it?” Vernal said.

“Indeed.” Nightfall replied.

“He’s a little stuffy don’t you think Sapphire?” Vernal asked.

Nightfall glowered. “Uh heheheh, He’s kinda my boss soooo no?” Sapphire said.

“Oh… sorry.” Vernal replied.

“Don’t say sorry to me…” Sapphire said.

“Don’t worry about, it’s not the first time…” Nightfall interjected.

“Hey Nightfall, Moonlet’s over there at the bar. You should go talk to her.” Sapphire said.

Nightfall whispered to himself, “Does everyone know!?”. “Yeah thanks Sapphire.” Nightfall said making his way towards the bar where Moonlet was sitting.

“Oh! And one more thing Night! You should come by Vernal’s shop tomorrow. I have a feeling you’re going to need what she’s selling in the future.” Sapphire said.

“I’ll be more pleasant tomorrow I swear!” Vernal said. “First impressions aren’t my strong suite!” she continued as Nightfall walked away. “Mine either apparently.” Nightfall muttered to himself.

Vinyl had just finished her set at the DJ booth and head down to the dance floor to gently rip Octavia from Promenade. “Thank you Promenade for keeping Octavia, entertained while I worked.” Vinyl said. Vinyl gently motioned to Octavia as if to begin dancing with her but instead gently placed her a foot away. Vinyl then turned to Promenade. “If you are willing, mind if I return the favor?” Vinyl asked while giving Octavia a smirk and a side eye over her glasses.

“Oh, uhmmm…” Promenade leaned over and looked at Octavia who stood there unsure of what just happened.

“Great! DJ Tune! Don’t let me down!” Vinyl Scratch said.

“Sure thing!” Cherry Tune said.

Vinyl took Promenade and danced energetically. She had not been used to the quick moves that Vinyl was presenting but was quickly catching on. She recalled a famous swing routine from when her and her crew used to go dancing back in her reservist years. Promenade motioned over Octavia and Sunny who were still on the dance floor and they joined in. Neither Octavia or Vinyl were truly angry at each other and the dancing put an end to the little nighttime feud they had going on. Soon most of the nightclub had joined the mares and danced to the rhythm and the beat.

Promenade looked over at the bar and saw Nightfall approach Moonlet. In an instant while looking at Nightfall she remembered someone he looked like at that moment. She quickly left the dance floor to head to the balcony outside. While most of Promenades fiends noticed, Sunny motioned everyone to go on with the night while she went to over to care for Promenade.

Sunny went by the bar and grabbed two glasses of water. She walked outside passed the few others who were also on the balcony. Some guests were macking and eating each others faces, while others had delightful conversations over candle light. Promenade was at the fire pit looking out over the edge. In the distance the moon sat quietly at the edge of the lake, it’s light reflecting off the surface of the calm waters.

“Hey you doing ok sweety?” Sunny said handing Promenade a glass of water.

“I’m fine. Just had a … hiccup, that’s all.” she replied retrieving the water gulping a few mouthfuls down.

“You want to call it a night?” Sunny said.

“Absolutely not! I haven’t had this much fun in a long time.” Promenade said. “Thanks for looking out for me…. again. Please enjoy the party, I’ll be back in there in a moment.” Promenade continued.

“You know how this goes, I don’t leave until I know you’re good.” Sunny said with a smile.

Promenade was a little irritated but knew Sunny was coming from a good place…. and for good reason. “How about we sit around the fire until we finish our waters then?” Promenade said.

“Sure thing!” Sunny replied.

The two mares finish their waters and head back in. Cherry Tune had been booed off stage for trying to play her banjo while Octavia, Vinyl, Bon Bon, and Lyra tried to coral her.

“Oh dear, this can’t end well.” Sunny said.

“But it sure will be fun to watch!” Promenade said. “Think they’ll try something at the dinner party upstairs?” she asked.

“I hope not…. How’d you know about the dinner party?” Sunny said.

“Please, I’m smarter than I look.” Promenade smiled. “ Plus it’s on Cherry’s invite… that she gave me…” she continued.

“Oh… fair enough. Well I certainly worked up an appetite after all that dancing.
The two mares join the group and head to the fourth floor to their dinner reservations. The music was still thumping from below and it played in the dining room but at low enough levels so that conversations could take place. Moonlet, Nightfall, Promenade, Sunny, Sapphire, Vernal, Bon Bon, Lyra, Vinyl, Octavia, Sugar, Cherry Tune, sat at the largest table while Velvet Remedy, Hamsterking, the Wasteland Wailers and a few high priority guests sat off at different tables reserved for them.

The dinner went smoothly offering all the junk foods a pony could dream of, nachos, burgers, chili hay fries. Desert was something of a treat created by Sugar Cloud and Pinkie Pie earlier that day to include Sugar’s signature cloud cookies and the jointly named Pinkie Cloud Strawberry Fluff, but in cupcake form! The drinks kept flowing and the night went on.

Author's Note:

As Always, please let me know all of your comments! Better quality feedback, better quality chapters in the future!
Thank you for reading, I hop you enjoyed! Check in next time for Chapter 11 "Moonlet's Lullaby" - 29 August 2019
(Updated: 02112019)

Promenade

Check out my other media on this pages.
Deviant Art - https://darkearthdragon.deviantart.com/
Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/cherrytune For early access to the next chapters.
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSnPNIgrNGEM7s40rwD2uwQ?view_as=subscriber
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/CherryTuneStudios/
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/cherry_tune/