• Published 12th May 2018
  • 12,031 Views, 653 Comments

Helljumpers - CommanderApplejack



When Scootaloo disrupts one of Twilight's experiments Scootaloo and Twilight find themselves in a galaxy at war.

  • ...
22
 653
 12,031

Chapter 13: Surface

Dash jumped from her bed the moment she opened her eyes and rushed to the bathroom, her armor was neatly laid out on the floor where she had put it the previous night. Quickly putting on the dark blue undersuit and attaching all the individual armor parts before turning to the mirror and fixing her mane to the regular rough state it was in. Taking a better look at her reflection she could still see three lines in her neck where the timberwolf had grazed her, If it weren't for Cloud Kicker donating blood immediately she would be in a much worse shape. Shrugging off the uncomfortable feeling she ran downstairs foregoing breakfast and making a break to the door, a quick glance at the clock on her wall showed that it was nine o'clock in the morning. The front doors of her house flung open with force as the blue nightguard charged through and jumped off the cloud not bothering to close the door, nopony in Ponyville would rob her anyway.

Normally she would enjoy the wind blowing around her body but today she was too focussed on getting to her destination to care. Carousel Boutique was getting bigger and bigger in her vision as she approached the place where Spike was residing. Rainbow smashed down in front of the door startling a few ponies that were strolling around, rather than knocking on the door Dash opted to just walk into the building.

"Rarity! Are you here?!" She shouted up the stairs

Rarity stuck her head from the bathroom upstairs, her makeup only half-done. "Rainbow, darling. A lady doesn't just barge into someone's house and demand to speak to the owner!" She shouted down at the pegasus.

Dash waved her hoof dismissively, "Where is Spike? I need to speak to him, stat."

"He went to stay with the princess for a few days, he shou-" Dash never heard the rest of Rarity's sentence as she made a beeline for Canterlot. Fifteen minutes at a breakneck speed later the white palace was getting really close, pushing herself even harder a Mach cone was forming before her hooves and moments later an explosion of color appeared behind her but the sound of the explosion never made it to her ears as she was outspeeding it.

Rainbow aimed for the chariot bay beneath the palace as a landing place, she could see a few panicking guards get out of her trajectory in the distance. Deciding she had approached close enough she lightly flared being careful that she didn't dislocate a wing, at these speeds that would be disastrous, quickly closing the distance with the hangar she increased her flare losing even more speed until her armored hooves hit the floor and a trail of sparks was left behind her. Reaching the middle of the hall she slowed down enough to close her wings and run ahead to the stairs up to the palace proper leaving stunned guards behind in the hangar.

A quick sprint later the throne room came into view, a small line of nobles stood in front of it waiting for the princess to hear their grievances, not caring about the protests from the highborn of Equestria as she ran past them to what she presumed to be Princess Celestia. Dash slowed down to a trot to catch her breath before entering the throne room where she found a noble whining about some law or another.

"Rainbow Dash, it's nice for you to visit but right now is a very inopportune moment. If you would like to come back at lunch I would happily speak to you." Celestia said as she noticed the pegasus.

Rainbow thought her replied through for a moment because officially Twilight was on a 'Diplomatic mission far away'.
"I've got an update on Twilight's situation." She replied hoping to get the princess one on one, Celestia's iron mask broke slightly as she heard what Dash said.

"What kind of update might that be?" she asked

"A message." Rainbow replied, Celestia's eyes widened ever so slightly.

"Court is adjourned for today, Captain wake my sister and escort her to the situation room." She told the guard next to her who immediately took off to the lunar tower, "Private Dash, follow me." She ordered Dash who stayed close on the princess's tail, they made their way into a room that had a map of the entire planet Equis on a massive table. Luna teleported in with the captain of the guard, "My sovereign." Dash said while bowing, she saw Celestia give her sister a glare as she heard Rainbow talk in the old tongue.

"Thine has news on our sister's student and fellow Princess?" Luna immediately asked.

"Yes, Princess. I found her dreambubble." Dash replied, "I spoke to her for a few moments but she got woken up."

This made Luna look strangely at Dash, "You mean to say you found her where I couldn't?"

"I.."

"Show me." Luna said as she lit her horn, Rainbow nodded and a tendril of Luna's magic touched Dash's head looking at her memories the tendril dissipating moments later. "YOU IDIOT!" She shouted in the royal Canterlot voice, "WERE WE UNCLEAR WHEN WE TOLD THINE NOT TO ENTER THE CHAOS BURN!"

Dash cowered before the enraged Princess, some might say that it looked uncool but when an over millennium-old pony is shouting at you in a voice that was rocking the foundation of the palace anypony would be afraid.

LUNA! Celestia thundered after her sister, "Would you please explain to me what you saw and what the chaos burn is." She calmly added.

Luna sighed and lit her horn once again, above the table a sort of portal like mirror appeared showing Rainbows point of view from back in the dream world. Celestia followed Rainbows actions closely from when she found Twilight's bubble to when she entered, She gasped a little when she saw the devastation Twilight had dreamed up. The magic viewing portal collapsed after Dash got kicked from Twilight's dream.

"I'll go get Spike." The captain said as he also watched the dream and walked out of the room at speed.

"Lulu, you owe me an explanation about that scar in the dream world." Celestia told Luna the latter of which sighed.

"When we banished Discord he opened up a tear in the dream world as a last attempt at spiting us, to this day I never found out why he did it but it's there." Luna told her sister.

"Why didn't you close it?" Celestia asked.

Luna suddenly looked really sad before replying, "Nightmare Moon."

"We had started repairing the damage but with our weakened connection to the elements we didn't make any significant progress before our banishment."

Celestia got Luna in a wing-hug comforting her before looking over at Dash who still looked terrified of the Princess of the night and gave her sister a nudge. Luna looked over at Rainbow who was standing at the ready with slightly shaky legs, seeing the state of her student Luna felt a bit of remorse for the pegasus.

"Rainbow Dash, come over here." She told Dash who complied, walking up to luna something she didn't expect happened.
Luna included her in the wing-hug.

"Rainbow you must understand that I'm only mad at you because I don't want to lose you. You've quickly become to me what Twilight is to my sister, my first student in almost eleven-hundred years."

Spike chose that moment to walk into the room with the captain, "What's all the fuss about, Princess? He's not telling me anything." Spike said while pointing at the captain. "And what are you three doing?" He added seeing the group hug.

"We were giving each other some moral support." Celestia replied releasing the hug and levitating a piece of parchment to herself scribbling something on it, "We need you to send something."

Spike shrugged, "I don't get why I needed to be picked up by the captain of the guard for that."

"Send this to Twilight." Celestia told Spike who got a bit pale.

"D-did you find her?" The little dragon stuttered. "Not her location but Rainbow found her dream-bubble, please send the message I'll fill you in in just a bit." Celestia answered and turned to Luna and Rainbow, "You two need to get more information from Twilight so we can find out where she and Scootaloo are."

The two nodded and walked off to Luna's tower as Celestia heard Spike send the letter to Twilight.

"We're going to get them back Spike, it's only a matter of time."

"Twilight wake up." Scootaloo faintly heard through a splitting headache, quickly pulling a blanket over her head to block out the sound and go back to sleep. She felt the alicorn stir beside her and shoot up, dragging the blanket with her exposing Scootaloo to an assault of sunlight.

"Send Dragonmail!" She shouted, Scotaloo cringed and curled up in a ball covering her ears.

"Whoa, lass. Calm down." Alec told Twilight who looked around the room remembering where she was, her eyes falling on the curled up pegasus. Scootaloo heard her magic buzzing and soon after the pounding on her head was much lighter, still there but manageable.

"I probably should have done that last night." Twilight said sheepishly to Scootaloo as she also got up from the bed.

"Whatever, what was that about Dragonmail when you woke up." Scootaloo asked her companion who lit up before stopping herself, "I'll tell you if it happens, for all I know it was just a dream."

Scootaloo rolled her eyes but didn't push any further and turned to the marine, "Is your family up already?" She asked, the time on the clock being 6:27.

"My kin always had a habit of getting up early." MacGregor shrugged, "C'mon you two, I've already told them a bit about you two"

The two ponies got up from bed Scootaloo's uniform was neatly stacked on the dresser beside her, Twilight must have got it off while she was out last night. both ponies foregoing putting on their dress uniform and following Alec down the stairs to his family. In the kitchen, a man and a woman sat at a table both seemingly in their sixties, also at the table was a girl with red hair probably in her early twenties.

A few flashes of movement later and the girl was in front of Scootaloo holding her in a hug. "IT'S SO CUTE!" She shouted, squeezing even harder. "Can I keep it!"

Scootaloo could hear Twilight laughing at the smaller pegasus but she was too preoccupied with trying to get some breath, "Air." she croaked through the girls iron grip who immediately released the pegasus, "sorry" she sheepishly said.

"I think our guest would appreciate not being strangled, Jannet." The elderly woman told the girl. "Now, would you two lassies like some toast."

The next half hour was spend eating breakfast and sharing stories once again. Alec's sister, Jannet, wanted to go out with Scoots while she tried flying again so she had made a lunch pack for both of them. Saying goodbye to the group still at the table eating breakfast Scootaloo followed Janet outside into the fields where the girl knew of a secluded spot out in the field where they could practice without anyone seeing them.

"So you've never been able to fly?" Jannet asked while they were making their way over to the spot where Scootaloo could practice.

"No.. Well, a bit." Scootaloo said, "I used to be able to hover with my smaller wings by just beating them really quickly but I can't do that now since they've grown."

"Must be hard to learn all this without anyone other than Twilight to give you pointers."

"It is. Twilight really wants to help but she herself isn't that good a flyer by any means." Scootaloo replied, "I'm going to try a few of the things Rainbow taught me, she always went on about how the feeling of freedom she has when in the sky." Scootaloo happily flapped her wings twice and lifted off for a moment and dropped back down, Scootaloo totally oblivious due to remembering prior conversations with Rainbow Dash but Jannet was grinning, it was going to be an interesting afternoon.

Scootaloo and Jannet walked out of the house while the rest of the group was still finishing up eating, Twilight was levitating her own plate over to the kitchen counter having finished her own breakfast. "So, miss Sparkle, do you have anything planned for the day?" MacGregor dad asked.

"I want to run a few tests on the background magic of this world, I can feel it's stronger than the one on Reach but there's something off about it that I can't put my hoof on." Twilight replied, "Is there a room I can us__" A scroll materialized from black smoke and slapped Twilight on the side of the head, The purple alicorn immediately levitated it in front of her as a smile slowly formed on her face and she started laughing.

"They got the message!" Twilight shouted while bunny-hopping around the kitchen.

"What was that!" Alec said, echoing the sentiment of the other humans in the room.

"Dragonmail! It's a quick note from Princess Celestia." Twilight said, clearing her throat. "To Twilight, Rainbow has notified me and my sister she has found you in the dream world. She'll be in contact, hopefully, she and Luna will find a way to let others talk to you soon. We miss you, Princess Celestia." She finished reading.

"The attic is mostly empty, you could use that if you wish." The old lady told Twilight, the pony nodded happily and made her way up the stairs. The attic only had a few boxes throw around which Twilight neatly stacked at the back of the room so she had some space. sitting in the middle of the room she closed her eyes and started concentrating on the magic flow around her, drifting into a trance.

Chaos, although not pervasive it was present but there was also something else, something familiar. filtering out the chaos and the weak natural magic of the planet she was left with a small warm stream of magic as if the sun itself was flowing through her mind, only one place she knew of had magic like that. Equestria.

Feeling a tap on her nose brought Twilight back to reality, Scootaloo was in front of her hopping up and down. "Weren't you going out to practice your flying?" she asked.

Scootaloo looked confused at the alicorn, "It's past seven in the evening Twilight, you've been up here the entire day according to the others downstairs."

Twilight slapped herself for being so stupid, she had managed to get into such a deep trance that she lost track of time. Looking back at the pegasus who had a large smile on her face she remembered what Scootaloo had set out to do. "How did your flight practice go?"

Scootaloo stopped hopping and instead of telling Twilight she started flapping her wings rising into the air, beads of sweat forming on her forehead as she exerted herself, seconds later she finally dropped onto the floor again with increased breathing. "It went great!" she squeeked, her mood dropping immediatly for some reason. "We got new orders." She said hoofing over a tablet to Twilight.

Twilight read the orders, "That sucks." She commented, "It was fun while it lasted, c'mon Scoots pack your stuff orders are orders." She told the pegasus, giving her back the tablet that told them they had to return to the Stalwart Dawn.

"Already did, also packed your stuff it was only your uniform anyway." Scootaloo replied, "a pelican will pick us up in fifteen."

Twilight nodded and the two made their way downstairs thanking the humans for their hospitality, fifteen minutes later a pelican landed in front of the house and the ponies boarded.

"Strap in tight Twilight, and Squirt, get up front I want my co-pilot next to me." A familiar voice came from the cockpit.

"Zoey!" Scootaloo shouted as her mood improved again at seeing the pilot that had been in cryo for the last month. She strapped into the seat up front and immediately started checking systems.

"Heard you flew a bird out of New Alexandria, sorry by the way for not visiting sooner I had my hands full at Reach." Zoey said as she pushed the power on the engines up, propelling the pelican into the sky. "You two already made quite a few ripples in the media by the way. There's word of two talking horses at a bar in the media, all of which is being denied by officials as hallucinations of drunk Scotsmen and that video footage has been tampered with by conspiracy theorists to put weight behind their claims." She chuckled, "Of course those people are making up the entire story wouldn't you two agree? I mean two alien talking ponies that can use magic, what kind of lunacy is that?"

Scootaloo and Twilight chuckled, "I assume we're on ONI's shitlist now with us making their life a lot harder." Twilight asked.

"Don't know, probably. The others got denied shore leave and you were down there for a grand twenty-five hours so they're probably not that happy with you two." Zoey replied looking over the instruments on the pelican, "Coming up on the Dawn" She stated.

The frigate was docked at a Repair and refit station, Neither Scootaloo and Twilight had had a good look of the warship when they had left for Earth. The entire starboard hangar was gone due to the hits from the plasma torpedo's at Reach burn marks covered the entire surface of the ship with the exception of the places where it was clear repair crews already finished their work.

"She's a mess." Scootaloo commented as they approached.

"No kidding. We got lucky as well, had those torps hit anywhere else we'd have been molten metal around Reach." Lucy said typing in commands to get access to the docking bay of the repair station, with Scootaloo helping to monitor the sensors they quickly managed to dock the pelican.

"So, did they replace the flight sim yet?" Scootaloo asked Zoey who shook her head, "Dammit, I was hoping to get to do some practice."

"Language Scootaloo." Twilight said from behind the two, "I'm not having you go around swearing willy-nilly."

Scootaloo rolled her eyes, it wasn't like Twilight had expanded her own vocabulary in the last few months.

"They have a flight-sim in the station here we can use." Zoey told Scootaloo, getting the conversation back on track. "Two to be exact, want to try to beat me again?" She said, "Or are you scared I'm going to kick your ass." Zoey added with a grin.

"O you are on!" Scootaloo replied the two making their way over to the simulators while Twilight continued to report to the Dawn. The airlock of the Dawn, being connected with the repair station, was open and allowed for Twilight to walk through it without cycling. A few crewmembers were walking around the hallways, giving nods to Twilight as they passed, reaching her quarters she opened the door and flopped into bed realizing just how fatigued she was.
Quickly she fell asleep to her dreams, only this time there was no rainbow maned pony to stop the nightmares.

Author's Note:

Okay, School hasn't been too much of a bother yet but that's going to get worse from here on out. Anyway, I'm not too sure about the chapter but my mind isn't giving me anything else right now.
I already have many more Ideas for the next chapter which is going to be much better, I'll give a hint:
Regret, Regret, Regret. :scootangel:

Also, The MCC is now available on Gamepass for the Xbox one, so I've been playing H2a.

See everypony next time! :twilightsmile: