• Published 27th Jul 2012
  • 2,875 Views, 267 Comments

New Perspective - Arbiter Balemead



High school sucks. Especially if you're a fillyfooler. But hey, life afterwords can be great!

  • ...
7
 267
 2,875

Poetry

Quick Pre-read authors note: When you see ~~~{(character name)}~~~ It is a perspective switch to that character. It does NOT mean they are now part of a specific rotation of viewpoints. Once it says either Rainbow or Fluttershy in that space, it means the rotation is back to the normal two. Enjoy.

Bliss never lasts long. The weekend came to an end and we had to go back to school.

Hobbling around in a cast wasn't that bad, actually. I got to leave classes early so I could get to my next class on time, 'cause walking in this thing wasn't easy. Seriously, I don't know why they don't just let me hover from place to place. Walking with this thing is more dangerous than me crashing into somepony in the halls.

I never got a chance to read the rest of that 'Crack' thing I found on Fluttershy's desk, but I think she showed it to AJ, 'cause I saw her stuff it into her saddlebag before we left for Ponyville, then when we visited the farm again, I was helping out with some heavy lifting, but when we were about to leave for home again, I'm pretty sure I saw it again. I don't know... I'm sure whatever that thing is, I'm not interested.

Oh, on the bright side, I might be in a cast, but Flash and his buddies got themselves expelled. The moment the principal heard about it, he had them expelled for being drunk and assaulting peers. Then there's the legal trouble they're in. I shouldn't laugh at kids getting sent to juvy, but... well these guys were buckheads, so...

Heh heh....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Okay class, now I have something special planned for Friday." My day was boring up until fourth. "I want you all to write some poetry..." The only interesting part was when I heard that Flash had gotten expelled. "... then bring it in on Friday..." The class groaned collectively, bringing my attention back to the teacher. "... and read it to the class." Another groan. "I know, I know. None of you like the idea of standing in front of your classmates and reading something you wrote to them."

One of the colts in the front of class raised his hoof. "Is this mandatory?"

"Yes." My eyes widened in horror. I couldn't possibly write something then read it to the whole class! Well... maybe I could write something, but I don't think I could read it to all of them.

The teacher gave us a list of rules, like it needed to be this long, or that many stanzas, or if it rhymes, then the pattern needs to be consistent. That sort of stuff.

"For instance..." She walked over to her desk and grabbed a piece of paper, then read from it:

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

"That's a good example of the kind of poem you all should write. It doesn't need to be long, or amazing, but I want you all to at least give effort. We'll see how your skills have improved when we do this again just before Winter Break..."


I didn't even get food at lunch. I just sat down and opened my saddlebag, found my old poems, and looked through to see if there was anything I would like to show the class. I leafed through pages of them, mentally noting that each and every single one of them was embarrassing, until eventually I found two that I wasn't sure about.

I sat there, staring at the pages, reading them over and over, trying to decide whether I should read them on Friday or not.

"Hey, Shy. What's that?" I looked up to find Rainbow putting her tray down on the table and sitting next to me.

"O-oh i-it's..." I've never shown her my poetry. I've never thought that she would care much for it. "Uhm..." I felt tempted to close my notebook and just say it was nothing. That is, until she slid it over on the table so she could read it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the one I'd seen on her desk the other day:

The Crack
There is a crack in the wall
Or rather the crack is where the wall is
Because if I tore the wall down the crack would still be there
The crack is an emptiness that I can’t fix alone
Or rather I can fix it but I wouldn’t be alone anymore
The crack is an emptiness that I must endure silently alone
In fact the fact that I suffer alone is why it is something to endure
The empty space is a heavy burden to bear alone
The fact that I bear it alone is why it is such a heavy burden at all
Alone, I cannot fix this crack or the holes it will soon lead to
But if I was not alone there would be nothing to fix
In the end the crack is more than just an empty space in the wall
It represents everything a mare has ever been without
And the problems in the crack grow with the growing presence of what’s not there
But if you can help me fix the crack I would be ever so grateful
It’s quite easy; just show me you care to help and it will leave me
And since it is so easy I wonder why no one has done it yet
But as it is the crack is everywhere I am
And when I think I’m safe I see the crack again
And remember the many times nothing has happened to help
And again, I wonder why oh why has no one bothered
To lift this burden
To fix this crack
To plug those holes
To make this emptiness whole
And let me tear down that wall and leave no crack behind

I finished reading, then glanced up at her. "Poetry?" She nodded slowly with wide eyes, probably worried about what I thought of it. I glanced back at the poem again, then back up at her. "It's pretty good. I mean, I'm no expert or anything, but..." I looked back down again. "Yeah, it's pretty good."

"Th-thank you, Rainbow, that means a lot to me." She said, tilting her head so that her mane fell in her face and I couldn't see her eyes.

I glanced around to see if anypony was watching us. Not many were, and the few that were looked away when I turned. We were sitting in the corner again, with our backs turned to the everypony else. I turned back to Fluttershy, whose mane was still covering her eyes, and took a deep breath.

You know what? Buck it! If anypony else cares, they can look away.

I scooted closer to Flutters, using one hoof to spin slightly to face me. She looked up at me, her mane still covering one eye, so I reached a hoof up and brushed it out of the way, eliciting a strong blush from her, but she maintained eye contact with me. "There. That's better. Y'know, Shy, pretty things should stay where ponies can see 'em."

Her blush got a tiny bit darker, but she still held my eyes. I put a wing up between our faces so nopony could see us, then leaned in. She met me halfway and I felt her soft lips brushing up against mine. First, we just kissed,eyes closed, then her lips cracked open for my tongue, and for a moment, I didn't have a care in the world...

Then the bell rang.

Shy pulled away quickly, and I turned to get up, my cheeks feeling really hot.

"*ahem* Heh uhm... got uh- caught up there, didn't we?" I said, laughing a little nervously.

"Y-yes..." I looked at her again, then glanced around and saw that the cafeteria was practically empty now, so I gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

"You're cute when you're nervous, you know that?"


The rest of that day was boring, and so was the next day. But then my history teacher told me something weird on Wednesday. He said that I could go to Mrs. Paria's fourth hour on Friday, because she had requested I be there for something. If it meant getting out of Equestrian history on a Friday, count me in, but that didn't stop it from making me wonder why Mrs. Paria wanted me there...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Y-you're serious?"

"Of course. I believe that the two of you could only benefit from this. If she attends, you'll likely find it easier to overcome your stage fright that I'm sure you have, and she'll probably gain some form of heightened appreciation for Literature." Mrs. Paria replied. The other students in her fourth hour had already made their ways to their next classes, leaving me in a one-on-one with the teacher. "If you don't want her here, I can tell her teacher to forget about it..."

I took a moment to think about it. If Rainbow was here, I'd probably be able to read if I just focused on her. That also helps me choose which poem to read in the first place.

"Do you think this will work, Fluttershy?" I realized, suddenly, that I'd been quiet for a few minutes.

"I-I think it'll work out..."

~~~~~~~~{Gilda}~~~~~~~~

Yep... Detention. It's what I get for decking a jerk in the face. *sigh* It definitely doesn't help anyone in here that the kid I got in a fight with is sitting in the same detention as me. But hey, what can you do? No one, and I mean NO ONE, trashes on Dash or Shy just cause they finally noticed each other.

Gotta say, the detention teacher's not that bad. You kinda warm up to him when you're around him this much...

That's not good is it? Oh well.

He looked up at me again. "Wait... So why are you in here now, Gilda?"

"Got in a fight yesterday, teach."

"Why-"

"Same as the last two times, teach." He eyed me wearily for a sec, then shrugged and went back to his paperwork.

I glanced over at the other guy to admire my handy work: The bruise on his eye, and the painful-looking way he was holding his arm. Heh heh. That was all me. He glared at me, than went back to his homework.

I looked down at my work that I still had to do. I never liked Lit... or Math... or History... or academics in general. *sigh* Oh well...

Dash told me she was going to Shy's Lit class tomorrow. 'Course... I'm in here till lunch tomorrow, so I guess I'll be there to ask about it, but whatever. I can't pretend I care much what's going on in a Literature class that Dash is allowed to leave one class to go there.

Just hopin' they have a good time in Lit together. *snort*

~~~~~~~~{Rainbow}~~~~~~~~

Friday finally got here, and about time, too. I stepped out of third hour, walked right past my history classroom, and went straight to Mrs. Paria's room. It felt a little odd walking in there and seeing a group of ponies that aren't in there whenever I am, but I walked over to the teachers desk to ask where to sit.

She pointed to a desk near the corner, so I trotted over and sat down, waiting for the class to start and see why I was asked to show up. Shy hadn't told me what was happening in here today because she said that Mrs. Paria had told her to keep it a secret.

Speak of the devil, Fluttershy walked into the classroom and walked over to sit at her desk, smiling brightly at me. I put on a happy grin as she sat down next to me. The bell rang and the teacher started calling students up, one at a time, to read poetry that they had written.

Some of it was, like, three lines long and sounded like they weren't even trying, but some of them sounded like they had gone all out. After a while, Shy seemed to be getting nervous from just sitting there, so I put a hoof on her shoulder. "It's gonna be fine, Shy." I whispered quietly.

She looked me in the eyes for a moment, then smiled again.

"Fluttershy? Your turn." The teacher said.

"O-okay..." She walked up slowly, then turned and faced the class, untucking a piece of paper from under her wing and placing it on the stand in front of her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I glanced at Rainbow, took a deep breath, then started reading quietly...

"With Closed Eyes"

"When my eyes are closed, I can think of my favorite memories.
When my eyes are closed, I can see your face."

I closed my eyes as the words started going from memory.

"When I close my eyes, the world changes.
When I close my eyes, I can pretend the world isn’t this bad."

I started to speak a tiny bit louder and feel a little bit more confident.

"Once my vision goes dark, the worlds goes bright.
Once my vision goes dark, my fantasies come to life."

I felt my heart begin to beat faster.

"With closed eyes, I can remember my favorite thoughts.
With closed eyes, I can feel your embrace."

I opened my eyes and looked directly at Rainbow as I said the next part.

"Then my eyes open, and I see you there.
Then my eyes open, and stay that way,"

My eyes fell from hers to the paper as I said the final part.

"Until you leave; Then I close my eyes."

The class was quiet for a moment while I walked back to my desk next to Rainbow and sat down quietly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I watched as she started reading, a little curiously at first, until she started reading. My eyes widened and locked onto hers, despite that they were closed. I felt a little special when she got to the part about seeing my face. Then she got to the end and I felt really special.

She finished, then nervously sat down at her desk next to me. I wanted to lay one on her, but we were in class and the whole PDA thing... we'd probably get caught this time. I glanced at the teacher, who was smiling approvingly, then back at Shy, who was hiding behind her mane right now.

I scooted my seat over closer to hers, then wrapped an arm and a wing around her simultaneously, deciding her comfort was more important than my school record. She leaned her head into my shoulder, her face feeling very warm against it.

"...-nd the rest of class is your time today, class." I'd missed what she'd been saying, but I got the gist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prancer and her friend, Dasher, who both sat in front of me scooted their desks closer to us. Then Prancer held her wing out, fully spread out, saying, "Hey look at my wing, Dasher. Doesn't it look like it would be good for hiding ponies in the corner of the classroom from other ponies' eyes?"

"You know? It does." Dasher replied. "How 'bout mine?" She asked, holding her own wing out, perfectly blocking out our view of the classroom.

I looked at Rainbow, smiling brightly. She grinned back, then gave me a kiss on the lips. She pulled away, looking me in the eyes., then said something that I couldn't quite believe at first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I love you, Shy." I heard myself say it before I could even think about, but the moment it was out of my mouth, I realized that I had no reason to not say it. It was true.

"I-I-I..." She stuttered, and for a moment, I thought I'd said it too soon, but then she took a deep breath and tried again. "I-I love you too." Her eyes lit up as she said it, and I could feel my heart fluttering.

"Awesome..." I muttered before planting another one on her.