• Published 19th Mar 2018
  • 4,029 Views, 80 Comments

The New Dawn of the Setting Sun - The Crazed Werewolf



Sunset Shimmer rediscovers the family she already has. Can she protect those she loves from the Demon that once lived inside her tormented soul?

  • ...
3
 80
 4,029

Chapter 16: Into the Fire

Author's Note:

So, only a single chapter left after this one. I hope y'all enjoyed this ride as much as I have. Though I am giving some thought to a sequel, what do y'all think?

For those of you following Sirens of the Night a new chapter will be published soon. Also I am going to get back to work on Dream Catcher.

Sunset's eyes snapped open. The morning sun was shining brightly through her bedroom windows. She looked at her alarm clock.

03:37AM

Sunset sat up. The sun shouldn't be shining this early. Sunset began to think of a rational explanation to her predicament. She remembered something that Pinkie had once said and done. Sunset pinched herself.

"Ouch," Sunset exclaimed, "so I am really awake, and in some pain I guess."

Then Sunset noticed the large orb of light floating in front of her. It was the size of a basketball and seemed ethereal in substance.

"What the fuck are you supposed to be," Sunset asked, not expecting a response.

"Prepare yourself Sunset Shimmer," the orb said, "the host has been chosen!"

Sunset's eyes went wide.

"What," Sunset started to say, but suddenly the Orb began to implode upon itself and as quickly as it had appeared, it vanished, leaving Sunset in a darkened room once more.

"The host has been chosen? What does that mean," Sunset asked herself, "oh no!"

Sunset reached for her phone and immediately called Rarity.

"Hey Rares," Sunset said, "sorry to bother you but have had a nightmare tonight..... You didn't ok, I love you..... I'll tell you at school tomorrow. Sweet dreams love."

Sunset repeated the call five more times except without telling her friends that she loved them. Pinkie had wanted to come over and have an insomnia party, whatever that was. Looking around her darkened room, Sunset realised that she wasn't going to able to get back to sleep, so she decided to go downstairs and find a magical cup of coffee.

She was surprised to find that Celestia had beaten her to the coffee maker. The older woman was leaning with her back against the refrigerator silently sipping a cup. She had left milk and sugar on the counter.

"Couldn't sleep," they both asked each other at the same instant. Celestia chuckled.

"Your father is snoring again, and he refuses to admit it," Celestia said, "tomorrow night he sleeps on the couch. What about you?"

"I'm not sure," Sunset said, "I think I had a dream, I mean, that's the only way to rationalize what just happened, but on the other hand I'm really a magical unicorn from Equestria so..."

It was at that moment that a zombie-like Scootaloo came stomping down the stairs. She herself made a beeline for the coffee as well. Celestia looked at her youngest daughter with interest.

"Now I'm concerned," Sunset said, "Scoots doesn't even like coffee."

"Shut up," Scootaloo said, "mom, could you please cover dad's mouth with duct tape, my room is right on the other side of the wall from yours."

Celestia was about to speak when the sound of a woodchipper coming from upstairs interrupted her.

"Girls," Celestia sighed, "get dressed, we're heading out."

"Where are we going," Scootaloo asked.

"Breakfast," Celestia answered.

"French toast," Sunset said excitedly.

"Calm down Bacon-Hair," Scootaloo said sarcastically.

*****

Sunset looked up as she felt a pair of arms embrace her. She was sitting at one of the picnic tables on front of the school.

"Morning Rares," Sunset said as she gave her girlfriend a small kiss on the cheek, "you smell nice today."

"Must be my new lavender strawberry body wash dear," Rarity said, "you don't look so good, are coming down with an ailment like my dear sister?"

Sunset looked around, and she noticed that Scootaloo was still seated by herself on the school's front steps, Rarity's sister, Scoots' best friend wasn't anywhere to be seen.

"Is Sweetie okay," Sunset asked.

"She woke up with a sore throat and no voice," Rarity answered, "mother decided to have her stay home from school, I'm inclined to agre- oh my!"

"What," Sunset said as her eyes followed where Rarity was looking. She saw Fluttershy and her younger brother walking towards the school, but what had both Rarity's and Sunset's attention was who Fluttershy was walking hand in hand with. Zephyr himself didn't look happy.

"I'll see you after first period," Fluttershy giggled as she stood up on her tip toes to give Bulk Biceps a quick peck on the cheek.

"Morning 'Shy," Sunset grinned, "so, you and Bulk..."

"He's really nice and gentle," Fluttershy answered.

"If he hurts my sister," Zephyr muttered to himself.

"You'll do what," Rainbow asked as she climbed off her bicycle.

"Come and get you Rainbows," Zephyr said, "want to go run some laps together on the field? Just the two of us."

"Eh, no thanks," Rainbow deadpanned.

"Zephyr, why don't you go grab us all some breakfast from the cafeteria," Fluttershy suggested.

"Okay, I know when I'm not wanted," Zephyr mumbled as he walked away.

"Did Ah jest see Fluttershy kiss Bulk Biceps," Applejack asked as Applebloom pushed past the group and joined Scootaloo.

"I'm throwing a FLUTTERSHY-IS-DATING-BULK-BICEPS-AND-SCOOTALOO-IS-TOTALLY-A-DEMON PARTY," Pinkie said excitedly and out of breath. All five of her friends looked at the pink haired party planner and shrugged.

"So Sunshim, why did you call in the middle of the night," Rainbow asked.

Sighing, Sunset proceeded to tell her friends about her visitor during the night. There was a tense moment of silence as Sunset's words sank in.

"I wonder who it could be," Pinkie said after a moment.

Sunset glanced over her shoulder towards the school.

"At this point it could be anyone," Sunset said, "and none of us are safe."

"Oh darling," Rarity said as she wrapped Sunset in her arms, "don't be such a drama queen."

"That's your job," Rainbow laughed.

"Quite," Rarity said tersely.

"Anyhoo," Applejack answered, "we beat this monster once, we can do so again."

"But last time you had the Princess, and you knew who the demon was," Sunset said, "me!"

"Sounds like a job for Shadow Spade," Rarity exclaimed as she summoned a red fedora and similarly colored trench coat from nothing.

"Rarity, we don't have time for games," Sunset sighed.

"Oh," Rarity wimpered, "I rarely get to wear this outfit."

"I'm sure Sunset would love to take it off of you," Rainbow said without cracking a smile, "but that will have to wait for later."

"Watch it Rainbow," Sunset growled, "get close enough and I'll dislocate your finger."

*****

"Ah guess that Sweetie is sick today," Applebloom said.

"I guess," Scootaloo answered. Is she really sick, or is she just avoiding you? A voice in Scootaloo's head said.

"Hey Scootaloo," A voice said, "would it be okay if I joined you for lunch?"

Scootaloo looked up and saw Silver Spoon standing in front of her. Silver Spoon looked nervous, and she was blushing a step shade of crimson. Scootaloo found herself at a loss for words. She just nodded.

Isn't this interesting, the voice in Scootaloo's head said.

"That's a yes," Silver Spoon answered excitedly, "I'll see you at lunch!"

Applebloom and Scootaloo watched as Silver Spoon seemed to float away.

"Uh what was that about," Applebloom said, "she has never been nice to us before, she and Diamond Tiara are likely planning something."

"Leave Silver Spoon alone," Scootaloo said as she stormed off to class.

"Was it somethin Ah said," Applebloom asked herself.

*****

All morning in each of her classes Scootaloo could feel the glares behind her back. Though she couldn't hear what they were saying she knew that they were whispering behind her back. Her only solace came in knowing that she would get to spend lunch with Silver Spoon. Scootaloo was on her way to the cafeteria when Hoops tripped her.

"Whoops, silly me," Hoops said to the laughter of his friends, "I didn't see there Mini-Demon."

Scootaloo fought back the tears. Instead, she ran out the front entrance of the school past Applebloom who watched in shocked silence and then she ran to the cafeteria.

Scootaloo found herself standing in front of the Wondercolt statue. Something told her to reach out and touch it. She closed her eyes and obeyed.

*****

No one noticed ad Applebloom burst into the cafeteria. Panting as she caught her breath, she saw who she was looking for.

"SUNSET! Somethins wrong with Scootaloo," Applebloom cried out. The entire cafeteria went silent and all eyes fell upon Applebloom.

"Where is she," Sunset asked, the concern was obvious in her voice.

"Ah watched her run out of the school," Applebloom said, "she stopped at the statue."

Silver Spoon suddenly got up from the seat where she had been waiting for Scootaloo and ran out of the cafeteria.

"Pinkie, get my mom and have her meet me out front," Sunset said as she followed the path that Silver Spoon had just taken, "come with me Applebloom."

"Is Scoots gonna be alright," Applebloom asked quietly.

"I hope so," was Sunset's only reply.

Sunset nearly walked into Silver Spoon as she exited CHS. She saw Scootaloo standing with both hands on the statue. The ground around the statue almost seemed to be boiling, and a dark cloud circled overhead.

"Sunset," Silver Spoon said, "what's going to happen to Scootaloo?"

"I'm going to save her from that demon," Sunset confidently.

"Well, well, well," said a voice that wasn't Scootaloo's but came from Scootaloo's mouth said, "if it isn't Sunset Shimmer, the self proclaimed defender of Canterlot High."

"Scootaloo," Celestia gasped as she joined Sunset outside the school.

Scootaloo turned around faced them. She opened her eyes and revealed that that were now pools of inky darkness that led to no soul. Scootaloo smiled an unnaturally wide and toothy grin.

"Stand aside mother," Scootaloo commanded, "it is time for Sunset Shimmer to die!"

"Scootaloo don't do this," Celestia cried, she felt as if she had failed both Sunset and Scootaloo.

"No," Sunset said defiantly, "you aren't Scootaloo, and if I can still save her then I will."

"Oh and how are you going to do that," the demon inside Scootaloo taunted, "you seem to be one princess short."

Sunset looked around, she hadn't noticed her friends had joined her outside of the school. Suddenly Sunset felt something that she hadn't felt in quite a while.

"With the magic of friendship," Sunset exclaimed as she felt the magic surge inside of her.

"Bwahahahaha! You have to be kidding," the demon laughed, "the portal is closed, you have no access to the magic."

With that the demon let loose a fireball toward Sunset, Silver Spoon, and Celestia. Sunset pushed both Celestia and Silver Spoon out of the fireball's path. She however was caught in the inferno.

"So much raw power," the demon said, "who is next?"

The demon looked at Sunset's friends who all stood in shock. Grim determination set upon each of their faces as they prepared themselves to avenge their friend.

Slowly the fire that had engulfed Sunset began to go out. Rarity let out a silent gasp as she watched Sunset absorb the magical fire into her skin. Even the former unicorn's clothes were unscathed.

Suddenly a pair of fiery wings erupted from Sunset's back as she kept into the air. She also seemed to grow several inches taller and her hair itself became a flaming beacon.

The demon looked at Sunset and snickered.

"So you want to play a little, fine with me," the demon exclaimed. Scootaloo jumped into the air and wings and a tail sprouted from her back, but what surprised everyone was the size she grew to. She quickly stood taller than the statue. Reaching out the demon grabbed Sunset in one of it's bony claws and squeezed her.

"I should have taken this vessel in the first place," the demon said as it threw Sunset violently to the ground.

"Sunset," Rarity screamed as she knelt by her girlfriend's side, "what can we do to help?"

Sunset looked at the demon and then she looked deeply into Rarity's eyes. She grabbed Rarity's hand and then took Pinkie's hand into her other.

"You will never defeat us," Sunset boldly exclaimed. Each of the six girls began to glow a different hue of the rainbow. Then a rainbow shot out of the girls and engulfed the demon formally known as Scootaloo.

For a long moment only distant thunder broke the silence. Then the rainbow receeded.

"Stop that," the demon laughed, "it tickles."

Sunset was at a loss, she had used the magic of friendship, and that hadn't been enough to save her sister.

Sister. Realization dawned on Sunset.

"I won't be the one to defeat you," Sunset said finally, "Scootaloo will."

"And how will she do that, hmm," the demon responded, "if you haven't noticed, I am in full control."

"Because she has a magic more powerful than the magic of friendship," Sunset shouted as she took both Celestia's and Silver Spoon"s hands, "THE MAGIC OF FRIENDSHIP AND FAMILY!"

The world seemed to go quiet as sunlight broke through the dark storm clouds. An orb of light descended from the heavens and entered Sunset. The wings of fire were quickly extinguished and replaced by two large powerful wings of pure white feathers. Sunset's clothes were replaced with a white toga.

Without saying a word Sunset jumped inside the demon.

Darkness surrounded her. It took Sunset a moment to get her bearings. She heard thunder, but also something else. She recognized it as weeping and followed it to it's source. She found Scootaloo.

"I never wanted this," Scootaloo said.

"Shhh, Scootaloo," Sunset said, "I'm here to help guide you, but you must be the one to overcome this monster."

"How, all I have done is be mean to you," Scootaloo said.

"Scoots, I promise to be a better sister to you," Sunset said, "plus I believe Silver Spoon is out there waiting for you."

Scootaloo looked at Sunset, she felt a light begin to grow inside of her that pushed its self out and consumed the demon. There was so much force that it expelled Sunset from the demon.

Scootaloo fell.