• Published 19th Mar 2018
  • 4,032 Views, 80 Comments

The New Dawn of the Setting Sun - The Crazed Werewolf



Sunset Shimmer rediscovers the family she already has. Can she protect those she loves from the Demon that once lived inside her tormented soul?

  • ...
3
 80
 4,032

Chapter 9: Angels and Demons

Nobody had said a word for nearly five minutes. Of this Sunset was certain, she had been counting the seconds as the clock over the fireplace ticked away.

"Say what," Scootaloo said first, dropping her spoon into her soup.

"I'm happy for you dear," Celestia said, "but when did this happen?"

"Today," Sunset said meekly.

"Details!" Cadence exclaimed in a sing song voice, giving Sunset a sly grin. Sunset proceeded to tell them about her day.

"A horror movie, really," Scootaloo said with a cocked eyebrow.

"Discord took me to see horror films all the time when were dating." Celestia countered.

"To be fair, we were dating at the height of the 80's horror craze," Discord said.

"You're dating my best friend's SISTER," Scootaloo said. She was having trouble wrapping her mind around Sunset had said. Everyone else had gotten over their initial shock at Sunset's statement.

*****

Sunset and Rarity were having a quiet picnic lunch in the park. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, everything was perfect. Sunset lay with her head in Rarity's lap while Rarity was playing with Sunset's hair and telling Sunset about the latest fashion trends.

The sky began to darken, and Sunset thought she could hear thunder. Slowly, the thunder became laughter. Sunset looked around. Rarity seemed oblivious to what was going on around them, but Sunset could see that they were being approached by several faceless men in black suits.

"Run Sunset," a voice sang in her mind, "they're coming for you..."

Sunset began to run. She had to get away, she had no idea what would happen to her if they caught her. Again dark fog rolled in and surrounded her erasing Rarity and the park from existence. She could feel them watching her, like a predators stalking they're prey. A figure stepped out of the fog. It had leathery wings, it's hair was made of fire, and it's eyes were as black as ink. Sunset found herself face to face with her demon.

"At last," the demon said excitedly, "I can claim what is rightfully mine!"

"She doesn't belong to you!" a new voice called from the void. Sunset looked around for the source of the voice, but found nothing.

"And what are you going to do about it," the demon asked, "unknowingly or not, she still signed a contract!"

"You know it doesn't work that way," The voice responded. Sunset now saw an orb of pure light form between her and the demon.

"So," the demon said, as her hands and arms twisted into flesh and bone scythes, "you have decided to show yourself!"

With that the demon lunged at the orb, Sunset was afraid to watch, but she found that she couldn't look away. There was the sound of clanging and twisting metal. The orb had taken on a more human like appearance, though Sunset couldn't make out any features like a face. In each hand the orb/person/angel, Sunset really wasn't sure anymore, held a sword also made of pure light. The demon had a look of shock on its face.

"What," the demon exclaimed, "you aren't supposed to have this kind of power!"

The being made of light didn't answer, instead it swung one of the swords at the demon. It missed, but it caused the demon to take a step back.

"No matter," the demon said, "I doubt you can stay like this long."

"Sunset," the being of light said, "I can't hold her off forever, make your escape now!"

With that Sunset saw a thin line of light pierce the fog and swing open like a doorway. Sunset felt drawn to the door. Sunset began to walk towards the door as if she was in a trance. She stepped through the door.

*****

Sunset found herself standing in the lawn in front of the house she lived in. It was the middle of the night. Sunset could feel the damp grass on her bare feet. She stared up looking at the stars. She was confused she had no idea how she had gotten outside, or how long she had been standing there. She heard a commotion behind her.

"Sunset," Celestia said, "what are you doing out here?"

"I- I don't know," Sunset said, shaking her head trying to clear it, "I was sleeping when I had a dream, and I woke up standing here."

"Great, she's sleepwalking now," Scootaloo said from the doorway leading back into the house. Celestia gave her younger daughter a look that would of caused hell to freeze over.

"Scootaloo, back to bed," Celestia said, "Sunset, we're going back inside, and you are going to have a mug of hot chocolate and tell me and Discord what happened."

As they went back into the house none of them noticed the demonic footprints burned into the asphalt in the street in front of the house.

Once inside, Sunset recalled what she could and told Celestia and Discord. Then, on Celestia's advice Sunset went to take a shower.

"What are we going to do?" Celestia asked, looking at her husband.

"I'm still trying to figure out how she didn't break her neck," Discord said, pointing at the stairs that led up to where everyone's bedrooms were, "those steps are steep."

"And how did she open the front door without setting off the alarm, its still set, I checked." Celestia said.

When Sunset got out of the shower she wiped the condensation that had formed on the mirror off. She looked at her reflection. What stared back at her wasn't her.