• Published 21st Jul 2012
  • 1,691 Views, 116 Comments

Her Mother's Diary - Church



Rainbow Dash's mother has kept a diary of her foal's upbringing through the years.

  • ...
2
 116
 1,691

day thirty-nine

...Day thirty-nine...










She was crying the evening before. I had only just gone to bed before I started to hear the whimpers, the gentle sobs coming from her crib. That’s why there wasn’t a post the night before. I was right beside her the entire time. I pulled up a chair next to her, and I just sat there all night, reading her a book that my Mother brought over for us. The book isn’t at all for foals, I know that much. Mom said they had a limited selection in the library. Still, reading it aloud and keeping her aware of my presence had settled her. She was sleeping soundly after two chapters of the book...

Yet, I kept on reading. I feel foalish in thinking so (the book is written for fillies), but I was sucked in.

Daring Do and the Quest for the Sapphire Stone. I might have to pick up the entire series now. Who knew books could be so engrossing?

Before my bloodshot eyes could even fully adjust and come to terms with the violent rays of glimmering light blasting through the window pane, I hadn’t a clue what was going on this morning. I had stayed up all night reading that book. My eyes were thoroughly bloodshot. When the light hit, I could only yawn and feel terribly tired. A brick wall hit me at that moment, and for the entirety of the day I had no idea what happened. It’s all a blur now. Note to myself to get a bit of sleep.

For now, Rainbow is resting silently. I want to go to bed. My mind checked out hours ago, but left all of its luggage back in its room. I’m falling asleep without even knowing it.

...It’s only 7:30...

Odds are, Dash will wake me for something or another. It just feels like that sort of night. I probably deserve it, too, because what kind of parent goes to bed at 7:30 while their foal is still up and at ‘em? Something aspect of parenting that actually requires talent is going to hit me full force one day, and I certainly hope I’m up to the task.

She’s so quiet right now... it’s so peaceful. Her breathing comes in slow, steady breaths. I can almost feel her chest softly falling and rising from across the room.

I don’t know. Maybe that’s the sleep deprivation getting to me.

What’s crazy is the amount of sleep I’ve been getting before last night, though. I’ve heard so many stories about foal’s first months; how they need constant attention and scream and cry and keep you up in the middle of the night. I haven’t had any of that with Rainbow. She’s calm, cool, collected, nearly entirely independent apart from me having to change her and such. No, I’m pretty sure she could change her own diaper if she wanted to, actually. She most likely just enjoys watching her poor Mother do it for her.

So I read her the book and the crying stopped. I read 240 pages worth. If I would have been told that I was going to read anything from the pages of a novel in my remaining years I would have laughed hysterically. I hadn’t read a word from a book since my years in school. That seems like such a long time ago, and even then they were only textbooks. Fate certainly had something in store for me last night, I suppose. I’m just now catching up on the things I never read in school.

This comes at a price. Now I have to go out and buy the rest of the series, curse this book for reeling me in. Guess I’ll hop on down to our local library (ugh. Never thought I’d say that). I suppose if anything, I can give the series to Dash when she grows older, she might like them just like I did. Of course, that also gives me an excuse for owning them. At least they help to calm her down and fall asleep...

And she’s so adorable, as if I couldn’t mention that several times over. She’s a hoofsucker. I feel the need to keep pictures of her doing it so that I may stick them in a little memory book, only to pull it out whenever her friends come over in the future.

Moms will be Moms.

In any sense, I think that I’m beginning to ramble, for my brains are scrambled. Now I’m starting to needlessly rhyme. I think it’s time to be a good little Mother and hit the hay. I’m feeling anxious, and why?

Well, it’s a momentous occasion in three days time. Very big indeed.

We get to leave the house for the first time. Six seemingly long weeks to show for it.

And who do we get to go see?

Dad, I think you’ll find your granddaughter to be as lovely as I think she is.

So please get well soon.